FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LEGO in Cinema/TV

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: LEGO in Cinema/TV Reply with quote

I seem to be watching a lot of movies with LEGO products featured in them lately. In some cases it's been rather blatant and in others, not so much, but it's comforting when it happens. It's a bit like seeing someone you've known all your life just show up in a movie you're watching. Smile Here are the examples I can cite. Feel free to add your own:

The Witches (1990) - This example was particularly striking for me. The film adaptation of Roald Dahl's book features a boy being turned into a mouse by witches. Said mouse can be seen in the film riding around on a genuine, bona fide, electrified monorail (6990) with some Blacktron I parts thrown in. For a space-nut like me, this was a real joy to see.

Elf (2003) - In a scene where Buddy the Elf (Will Ferrell) is mistaken for a Gimbels employee, he takes it upon himself to decorate the "North Pole" section of the store in anticipation of the arrival of what he assumes is the real Santa. He dumps out what appears to be a 1000 piece tub of LEGO elements and proceeds to make a very large rendition of the NY City skyline in the store.

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989) - In a scene where the shrunken kids are unable to make it from the curb of their street, through their backyard, and back to their house, they take refuge in what appears to be a blue 2x3 or 2x4 (I'd have to watch it again to be sure which) LEGO brick that has been lost in the grass.

On another note, I've also seen LEGO in TV commercials for other products. Recently, there has been a commercial for Life cereal featuring LEGO bricks. An unwitting Dad poors himself a bowl of Life cereal only to find that his son has replaced the cereal with LEGO bricks. There must be some kind of promotion going on or something, because they were actually flashing the LEGO trademark at the bottom of the screen towards the end of the 30 second spot.

Last edited by ZombieDraykov on Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Jzaltheral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sci-Fi ran a SeaQuest DSV marathon yesterday - they had one episode where they found several kids trapped in a habitat after 3 years. Legos abounded in the initial scenes with the kids.
Orion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life cereal and Quaker oatmeal were both doing Lego promotions on their boxes recently.
Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing that movie The Witches in the theater when I was a kid. I wanted to be small enough to ride the monorail soooo bad Smile
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: LEGO in Cinema/TV Reply with quote

Just saw this on TV the other day:

Big (1988) - In the scene where magically grown-up Josh Baskin is in FAO Schwarz stalking the toy aisles for his Photon (AKA laser tag) foe, at one point, he takes cover behind a giant LEGO display in a glass case (complete with 6657 Fire Patrol Copter in motorized "flying" stance). 6697 Rescue-I Helicopter can be seen on the roof of one of the LEGO buildings with its rotors spinning. 6385 Fire House-I and 6377 Delivery Center are also visible. All of these sets appear to have been released in 1985.

In addition, you can spot 6378 Service Station, 6658 Bulldozer, 6634 Stock Car, 6677 Motocross Racing and 6698 RV with Speedboat, all from the 1986 Town line.

Boxed Duplo sets can be seen in the background.

Last edited by ZombieDraykov on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:40 pm; edited 5 times in total
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles has featured Lego at least two episodes this season, in 3 different scenes.
In one, John Connor's new friend Riley(?) builds him a crude robotic lego sculpture.
This past week's episode had a little girl making something out of a jumble of basic brick. In a later scene in the same episode, in what appears to be an attempt to impress the little girl, Catherine (the T-1001) posing as the little girl's mother adds bricks to a very large Lego sculpture, which as a bit of behind-the scenes trivia was built by two AFOLs here in Los Angeles.
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
Jedi Joe
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Canadian TV show called "Corner Gas" had an episode where Hank built big diorama of the town they lived in out of Legos.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it on YouTube. Smile
RF Aurora

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one seems to have brought up one episode of Stargate SG-1where a crystal replica of Colonel O'neil visits his former wifes house, and in his dead sons room, theres the old lego shuttle with launch pad.
Eno Razzi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Family guy? When Peter is trying to point out Legos superiority to Mega Blocks. "And when you finally figure that out Lois we can get this marrage back on track" Histerical
Zombie Yuhas
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles has featured Lego at least two episodes this season, in 3 different scenes.
In one, John Connor's new friend Riley(?) builds him a crude robotic lego sculpture.
This past week's episode had a little girl making something out of a jumble of basic brick. In a later scene in the same episode, in what appears to be an attempt to impress the little girl, Catherine (the T-1001) posing as the little girl's mother adds bricks to a very large Lego sculpture, which as a bit of behind-the scenes trivia was built by two AFOLs here in Los Angeles.

I get so excited every time I see LEGO in that show. The fact that there's LEGO in it just makes me love the show even more than I did already. And nothing is cooler than a Terminator playing with LEGO.

My not-at-all serious prediction: LEGO Mindstorms becomes Skynet. Wink
brownie69yov3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ive got one

Big Momma's House- there is a scene where the young boy in the movie is building the space shuttle and launch pad- i believe it was this set, 6456 Mission Control (http://brickset.com/detail.aspx?Set=6456-1). He is building it at the kitchen table during a scene...been a while since i saw the movie but i definitely remember my legos haha

br()wnie
brickscout

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Simpsons episode where they go to "Blokland"(not sure of the name) at first you think that they do this because they can not say LEGO or Legoland in the episode, but naturally Lisa a few minutes later complains that they are just poor ripoffs of our favorite LEGO brand...
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brickscout wrote:
There is a Simpsons episode where they go to "Blokland"(not sure of the name) at first you think that they do this because they can not say LEGO or Legoland in the episode, but naturally Lisa a few minutes later complains that they are just poor ripoffs of our favorite LEGO brand...

Not to mention during the ride home, Bart comments on his new "Lego" shirt, but is quickly corrected by Marge that he should be saying "Block" shirt.
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the latest Terminator Sarah Connor episode, the 'Daughter' of the Red-head morphing Terminator is seen playing with Lego, and the Red head, in order to make her daughter happy, makes a huge skyscraper out of Lego.

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild -
www.TheCABG.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Jinja Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clonecommando007: Look up Razz :

Chief wrote:

If you really like fish, put this in your sig: ><>
Clonecommando007
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jinja Ninja wrote:
Clonecommando007: Look up Razz

D'oh!

I thought that someone might have already posted that. Built by two AFOL's in LA, eh? Interesting - thanks for posting that.

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild -
www.TheCABG.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thrasher zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the TV show Yes Dear, which was back around 05, they have a whole episode that takes place in Legoland, or atleast half the episode, when the family takes a weekend vacation there. I thought it was pretty cool to see a TV show do that.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've seen that one...part of it anyway. That reminds me, LEGOLand got a name drop in the movie Knocked Up (2007), though you don't get to actually see the place.
brickscout

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lego was on "30 Rock" pretty funny but with one adult moment (ok maybe PG-13) of a LEGO train that was built at a business retreat that Liz and Jack went to. Forgot to mention that it ended about 10 minutes ago, which means if you go to NBC.com you can probably see it now...

Last edited by brickscout on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ki-adi-windu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The White Stripes' video of their song 'Fell in Love with a Girl' is a stop motion film. I'm sure most have seen it.
twentythree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RF Aurora wrote:
No one seems to have brought up one episode of Stargate SG-1where a crystal replica of Colonel O'neil visits his former wifes house, and in his dead sons room, theres the old lego shuttle with launch pad.

I always wished they'd do a scene where O'Neill was playing with a Lego set and Carter or General Hammond catches him having a good old time. Perhaps it could have worked in the season 4 episode "Window of Opportunity" when time keeps looping but only Jack and Teal'c are aware.
The Jinja Ninja wrote: The extended edition includes those scenes (which were replaced with the boulder sequence in the Raiders we know and love) as well as some revisions to the rest of the movie including 'Belloq shot first'
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny to see this thread. Last night I was flipping through the channels on TV and there was a movie called The Wizard. It showed a kid playing with DUPLO bricks. I didn't watch much more; when the bricks were gone-so was I.
The Department of Redundancy Department
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more Lego in an upcoming episode of Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles. Those people sure love them some Lego!
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patientzombie wrote:
Funny to see this thread. Last night I was flipping through the channels on TV and there was a movie called The Wizard. It showed a kid playing with DUPLO bricks. I didn't watch much more; when the bricks were gone-so was I.

Be glad you didn't, the movie's terrible. Basically all it is is Nintendo's gimmick in the 80's to promote the NES, Power Glove, Rad Racer, Ninja Gaiden, and SMB 3.
BrainMattR
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an episode of the George Lopez show where Lou Diamond Phillips played George's brother and wore a Lego shirt with a giant minifig during the whole show.
Zombifox
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember In a Jackie Chan Film (i cant remember which, it was the one were some Japanese/Chinese teens were killing police and making computer games based on how they killed them), one of the final fight scenes was set in what appeared to be some kind of Lego convention, where Jackie and bad guy proceeded to destroy huge Lego statues and throw each other into the boxes, it was awesome, dunno if that helps.

Edit: found the film, its called "New Police Story" or "Xin jing cha gu shi"
Jedd the Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes Zombifox, you're referring to New Police Story, my favourite film in which Lego features. One of the fight scenes takes place in a Lego store. Jackie Chan uses elements such as duplo tubs, Lego displays and even brick-like protrusions on the wall in the fight.

><>
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: