FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini Tirith

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark_Avenger

Location: Look out your window. See the guy running around naked? Yeah, that's me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Mini Tirith Reply with quote

First things first, guys. Hopefully, some of you remember my Helm's Deep Expanded. Granted, it still remains to be my favorite model I've built, but as much as it pained me to do away with it, it wasn't serving any useful purpose. Therefore, on Tuesday morning of December 21, 2004, I deconstructed Helm's Deep and held a brief funeral ceremony for it:
The funeral.
The flower-covered grave.
Minifig KX delivers the eulogy.
The crowd remains in solemn silence.
A box full of every single piece that went into the construction of Helm's Deep.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it safe to say I'm one of the first people to hold a funeral for their favorite MOC and take pictures of it?

With that out of the way, let's continue..

Shortly after deconstruction, I whipped out the huge green baseplate and made a 1-brick-high plan for the wall formation. Didn't get much further that day (other than the outer wall). The next day was totally spent on an 11-hour Lord of the Rings Extended DVD marathon. Thursday was when the bulk of construction got done; I tell ya, I can't remember another situation where I've slightly repositioned pillars and walls so many times. Late the next morning (Christmas Eve) I put the finishing touches on the city and finished up the mountain. So yes, my Mini Tirith has been sitting on display atop a shelf for nearly three months now and I've never taken pictures until tonight. Why? I procrastonated it, forgot about it, was busy, was lazy... A slew of factors. But I always intended to get it done, and by jove it is done. So enough chatter -- on with the pics.

Introduction with my Knight pals. *thanks to BZPower member Groucho Marx for making an animation outta my photography*
The whole thing.
The gate.
The courtyard.
View of the cliff from a courtyard building.
The Citadel.
The bridge leading to Denethor's pyre.
City from the front...
...the side...
...the back...
...and for the heck of it, the top.
End of the Knights' lil' journey.

So, why did I decide the build this knowing that I wouldn't compare to the Helm's Deep that would have to come down to make way? Few reasons, actually. First, I've never gotten over disappointment in myself for that terrible excuse for a minifig-scale Minas Tirith that I made up over Christmas break the previous year. I soon saw that the city looks at its best when you see the whole thing. Armed with the knowledge that it would take a lot of time and even more bricks to do a proper-scale city, I went with a mini version (which, in the end, turned out a lot less 'mini' than I thought it would). Much inspiration was drawn from the little model of Minas Tirith that comes with the boxed edition of the Return of the King Extended DVD.

I'm pretty sure that's all I wanna say. If I think of anything else, I'll add it in. But anyways, comments? Complaints? Any criticism at all? I'm open for anything.
Repoort
Man of Many Reds

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to do a Minas Tirith after the high praise recieved on my Barad Dur and Orthanc minis, but it seems you've beat me! I love the overall feel of it, but to me you could throuw some more details in there. I know it's rather hard at such a small scale, but even from far away it looks plain. Especially since it's all gray, not white. Hehe. Definately love it though. Two thumbs up!
Ersh777

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh!!! That mini Minas Tirith is wicked cool! Very Happy Awesome job! I may have to build one myself, but different than yours, off course! Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: