FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ended: Contest #3: Voidfighter ***POLL RESET***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Contest #3: Voidfighter
iamcaboose
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
theDude
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
gold_2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CommanderJake
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Admiral Giddens
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Turkguy19
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
babyjawa
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Boonetrooper
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
fmoo
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Nannan
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
slimez
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sniper
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mark Stafford
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
franziskaner
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
brickfrenzy
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Big_X
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
ACPin
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Saber-Scorpion
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Mainman
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Iceman
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Morgan19
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
spotfrog
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Specular
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
SirBugge
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
cbdvader
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Eagle 1
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
RebelRock
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lt. A.J.V.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
zhg94
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ty 502
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
kkraft
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
MKD
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
ccjwprongs
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
JediMonCalamari
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Edoll
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Aedivor
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Stingray
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
Heffling
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Amethyst
19%
 19%  [ 28 ]
ThePaleMan
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
jaimie
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
RocOn
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Schism
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
bwu
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Evilnurn
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
ThePlasticJedi
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
luke1080
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
keds
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lights
7%
 7%  [ 11 ]
Darkkazmo
9%
 9%  [ 13 ]
han clan solo
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Vulture_Droid
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Allister
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Horvastne
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 143

Mark Stafford

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNOT = Studs Not On Top

Examples of this can be seen on the wings of Ameythysts voidfighter and on several of the others (including mine!)

All it means is the studs on the Lego bricks that in conventional building point directly upwards are instead going in another direction. This can allow you to create smoother more streamlined creations or to get incredibly frustrated as the whole thing fails and pieces shoot across the room!

Never, ever don't post because you think other peoples are better then yours. If you want help with a MOC post a few pictures and ask for opinions, some may be harsh but others will help you and soon you'll be kicking butt with the best of them!

To misquote Dune: 'Fear is the small death: the mind killer.' Enter and be damned, better to try and fail, then never try.

Mark. (Still not going anywhere)
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan19 wrote:
Hey onions, I'm curious... Once the contest is over, do you have any sort of image or sketch you could post about how you thought the voidfighter should look? Very Happy I think a lot of the draw of this one was that there was no established ship to work from so a lot of people just let their imagination fly.

m19

i do have an idea of what's supposed to look like. had i the time to actually throw bricks together, i would have done so by end of voting phase. no sketch and no mockup either.

it's still something i want to pursue since it's so engrained in my head. someday... someday...
gold_2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Stafford wrote:
To misquote Dune: 'Fear is the small death: the mind killer.' Enter and be damned, better to try and fail, then never try.

Mark. (Still not going anywhere)

shut up, shut up. you had me at hello... ::D:

sorry, a little misquote myself. Me loves the Dune! and welcome Mark!

I feel I should probably say something, having contributed more than a little to the earlier issue. when folks are angry and typing on the Net they have a tendency to be curt and do a poor job of explaining things. I fell victim to this myself. somewhere (out there...) I did say that I hoped it was a loyal fan who won. but never, ever did I say I wanted the voting skewed towards FBTB members; my hope was that the MOC deemed the best, in skill and representation, came from the locals. but I never wanted folks to skip over clearly better models just because they weren't from the usual suspects.

as it turns out, I did not vote for a MOC from the pool of longtime members because I thought the MOC that best fit the constraints of the contest came from outside the FBTB crowd, which is just fine with me because the contest has been far-ranging and if even one new member comes and stays and joins our community than everybody wins! Very Happy

this next part goes to the babyjawas out there:
we all build at different levels. we've all grown to reach the place we are now. seeing MOCs that you judge to be better than yours should inspire, not discourage you. think of it this way; you watch football (or soccer or baseball, etc.) on TV and really want to be a superstar someday. do you not play that sport because the pros are better than you? of course not! Lego, are similar. you have to practice and practice and practice to get better. nobody spits out amazing work without trial and error. Lights has quite a few pics of his building process to show how he was thinking how to assemble and flesh out his idea, and its goes far to show how becoming a great builder takes time. several of us have little time anymore so just entering was a challenge, but it reminds us of why we build in the first place- because its fun. Very Happy

my first contest was another of the classic contests: Jon Palmer's Space P-38 Contest http://www.zemi.net/?p=contest. my ship was pretty awful (Jason Nichols; unnamed), but it drove me to create and experiment and I know I was better for it. it helped me learn my limitations and skills, and highlighted where I need improvement. and it also introduced me to a ton of the tricks and tips of the "pros" which I could use later. Wink so be positive. even the "superstars" don't win all of the time. and remember to have fun. Very Happy

EJ
Big_X

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Stafford wrote:
I'm here to stay - just like I've been here for years, but I may continue not to say much. I'd be surprised if some of the other 'new' people haven't been here often too.
Mark.

Mark speaks truth. I've been visiting FBTB as long as I've been building again (Dec 2004), but I hadn't registered due to many variables, primarily a lack of the proper email address. This site has been a great resource for inspiration as well as valuable information, and I hope to contribute my knowledge to the cause as well, though I tend to be an infrequent poster on any forum.

As far as the 'disparity of forum' is concerned, I'm a little confused. It is obvious that CSF and FBTB are somewhat different environments, but aren't everyone's reasons for participating in the LEGO community practically the same? To inspire and be inspired---and find cheap LEGO to boot---are my reasons Wink . I have difficulty imagining what other reasons there are to be here or on any other LEGO forum.

Mark Stafford wrote:
I really enjoyed this competition. My own build has inspired at least three other (non-SW) ships I've posted in the last month and seeing how others have interpreted the description has been amazing. I think everyone should vote for the ship they think is a Voidfighter - end of story.
Mark.

Word to that, Mark. Word to that. This was the first building competition I've ever entered. I won't say I didn't want that USB, because I did, but there is much more to be won from contests like this one than the winner's trophy. Many a seed of an idea hath been sown in recent weeks, and for this I am very glad. For those of you who only peruse through FBTB as far as LEGO is concerned, I hope this contest has given you a fresh perspective on what lies beyond.

I'm very pleased that for the most part 'newcomers' like myself have been well received, and hopefully we can see more productive interaction between hardcore FBTBers and other LEGO communities.

Party on Garth.

*clean dismount off soap box*
Saber-Scorpion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks like I missed a little conflict here. I think some people here were a bit too sensitive. At first I got nervous that everyone was talking about me. Rolling Eyes For the record though, I was a member of FBTB for years (I remember when it was part of Yakface's Collectibles), and it wasn't really because of FBTB that I eventually left; it was because of Star Wars (gee, I hope that comment doesn't lose me any potential votes.) ::D: I probably won't stick around and post a lot either, but I have been planning to submit some new customs to the main FBTB site.
But as it has been said, I entered the contest not because I wanted the prize (in fact, I already have that set Shocked ), but because the concept of the contest inspired me to build something cool. And like Mark Stafford said, my own model has inspired me to build other similar creations since then: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/12257
Anyway, I guess I shouldn't even be commenting since the argument seems to be over, but like I said, I don't want to be one of the targets. Embarassed
Please, think of the bothans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ArchAngel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorp, yours was great, but I think Darkkazmo takes the cake. I mean, Vader heads for greebles??
Amethyst

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize if I have offended anyone because I am such a lurker. Like others, I have perused this site for a year or two. I agree that there are instances where loyalty to long-time members is of utmost importance, but I do not think that this is one of them.(surprise, surprise, that statement coming from a forum newb)

The great thing about voting in general is that you can vote for whomever you wish. If a lurker showing up for one contest offends you, then by all means don't vote for them.

We should also keep in mind that Lego is a creative medium, and as such the number one goal should be to foster creativity and new ideas in that medium. I think we can agree that the best way to do this is to welcome new members into the community. New people = new ideas. And the phenomenal number of beautiful concepts in this contest is testament to this. Has the forum ever seen such an influx of creativity before?

Lastly, we should all take a moment to sit down, throw our heads back, and laugh hysterically at ourselves. It takes real talent to get this riled up over a plastic children's plaything. And yet that plastic toy rocks my socks off. Once in a while it's nice to forget the important things in life and argue over something of no consequence whatsoever.

-Cheers
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the time to look over each entry today (for the first time on 90+% of them), even though it was hell to do so because my Powerbook continues to fall asleep every 10-15 seconds (or 5) and I have to say Darkk's kicks butt.

I'd say more, but I seriously cannot concentrate with this awful problem. Tomorrow I'm getting this li'l sonuvagun fixed at an Apple store... or replaced. Whatever is faster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
brickshipyard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: A Killer Contest! Reply with quote

Dear FBTB community,

I just wanted to say what a terrific contest. Very Happy Good luck to all the participants and nice job with your very eye catching voidfighters. Never before have I seen so many entries, beautiful engineering, imagination, and drama bundled together in one contest. New guys and veterans may you both leave this contest with some satisfaction, if not a vote(s), or win.

To the New Guys- don't be daunted or frustrated Mad , it takes some guts to enter into a lego contest for the first time. Ok maybe it's not the same as taking a final in college or dealing with your mother-in law, but hey you gotta try. Your effort will pay off even if you don't get any votes and don't win. You will gain recogniztion from this community if you put in the effort. Every vote you get means someone has just added a little respect next to your name, regardless of winning.

On a final note, I voted for spotfrog. Your model is just breathtaking, I love the pterdactyl shape of the wings, even the nose/cockpit and underbody are so stunning. To the others, especially Amethyst and Lights, sweet mocs.
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amethyst wrote:
Lastly, we should all take a moment to sit down, throw our heads back, and laugh hysterically at ourselves. It takes real talent to get this riled up over a plastic children's plaything. And yet that plastic toy rocks my socks off. Once in a while it's nice to forget the important things in life and argue over something of no consequence.

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is quotable material right there. Very Happy

Flickr <> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RecluceMage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have been busy and almost purposefully avoided this topic. I wanted to see them all at once!

Fantastic entries everyone, I'm shocked at how many people entered! I like the idea of the slide show.... with that I just watched them ALL, and went back and investigated the ones that piqued my interest. I honestly had no idea which MOC went to which person. I like this method.

So often in these we take a look at the big names and that's it, ignoring the noobs, mediocre builders, lurkers, and annoying forum rats. But that won't let you find those couple of MOCs which are fantasticly done by people that you otherwise wouldn't have bothered to look at. We're all guilty of this.... some more than others. I see a new post by ACPin or lights and I look at it, and to so many others I say, "Eh, I dont have the time".

This contest broke that habit, and I'm glad it did. Amethyst, I voted for yours. I knew I would when I saw it, even though I looked at a handful of others too. And, I thought you had named it Amethyst, and I kept saying "Who the heck did this?!?!". Its awesome, hope to see more of your stuff around here. Congrats to everyone on the hard work that turned out so well.
luke1080

Location: Where do you think I am? Age:13 Birthday on Feb 5th

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Amethyst has this one in the bag. thats pro Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onions wrote:
let's just calm down here folks, before anyone decides to fire off a reply. there's only 6 days left of voting, and that's barely enough time to pore over all the entries.

This was posted on the 7th, so does that mean this contest is over and amethyst is the winner?

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voting'll more than likely carry on a little longer. Ace is out of town this week, so the contest will prob'ly end once he's back home.

Flickr <> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
onions
The Mac Daddy [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voting has officially closed.

Amethyst's entry is the winner by capturing 19% of the votes. An AWESOME rendition it is!

Second place goes to Darkkazmo's entry. And Lights might as well take up permanent residence at third, since he's come in third place for the previous two contests. A consistent winner he is.

congratulations everybody, it was a great contest. a great turnout, great models to look at. it was a real pleasure hosting. hope to see everyone around for the next contest.
Icezombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Very Happy

Great contest onions!
Boonetrooper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVED this contest! We need to have more of em'! And congrats to Amethyst!
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked I came in seventh Shocked
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onions wrote:
And Lights might as well take up permanent residence at third, since he's come in third place for the previous two contests. A consistent winner he is.

congratulations everybody, it was a great contest. a great turnout, great models to look at. it was a real pleasure hosting. hope to see everyone around for the next contest.

Congrats to all the builders, you're all winners! (Cliche? Yes. But it's true.)

Yay for third place... again! Razz The day I break the "3rd Place Curse" is the day the universe implodes on itself.

I loved every aspect of this contest. Great story (Wink), awesome interpretations, and not TOO much bickering. Looking forward to the next!
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations you three, you did well!!!
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, congratulations to all! Smile I have to echo the sentiments of others in that this was one heck of an awesome contest, both in the original premise and entries posted. (I'm actually very surprised and humbled that anyone even voted for mine... So thank you!) Amethyst, I hope you continue posting your excellent creations and grow to become a permanenet FBTB placement. Razz

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Ara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to see a contest like this anywhere on any LUG forum that has produced such an overwhelming influx of creativity. Congratulations not only to the winners but also to onions for an excelent contest idea. It appears you've brought out the best in alot of people and it is most pleasing to the Force. May you out do yourself again in the near future.

Mr. Green
Amethyst

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props to onions for such a great contest, definitely a killer idea.

Congratulations to all the builders. There were way too many sweet mocs to choose from. I know I had trouble choosing my vote. It's definitely humbling to win.

I look forward to seeing more of this kind of creativity around here in the future. It was a pleasure just watching the ideas pour in.

Thanks
gold_2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats to all the winners. Very Happy
Barbarossa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Amethyst, and all the other builders! (I especially liked yours too gold_2, I still can't believe you didn't get any votes Confused)

I'll re-iterate that which has already been said: this contest really brought out a lot of creativity. And while being an active member of FBTB.net should by no means be a pre-requisite for entering a contest, I'm sure everyone here would really appreciate it if those who joined FBTB because of this contest continued to honor us with their creative minds by posting any future MOCs here for our enjoyment. Smile

Thank you, to everyone who entered. It was very enjoyable to see all the outcomes.
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Amethyst on the winning entry (yours looks lethal for sure pal), and congrats to all other builders including me on our creative submissions... Some of us really proved to the public that there is some serious creative business hiding in our minds just waiting to be unleashed when the opportunity occurs... Although I wished that there were more solid FBTB builders in it as well like Count-Blockula, Warhawk, Fox-Primus, MikePsiaki, Pepa-Quin, lowlead, ApophisV just to name a few
I must also admit that I'm a bit disappointed in the total number of votes that had been submitted, only less than 150 votes for more than fifty entries?!!! That is a bit too low considering that there are more than 2200 members around here! And this is an official FBTB contest!
I also think, there should have been more winning categories to this contest, probably like the most loyal MOC to the description, the most abstract MOC, the most construction savvy and so on...

Anyhow, it was a great (yet painful) experience for me to find the time to play bricks with you guys, and I'm looking forward to other challenging contests that could bring back the magic experience of building to this place...
Hey Ace, how about a Mech contest for once? Smile

My Brickshelf Gallery
gold_2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbarossa wrote:
Congrats Amethyst, and all the other builders! (I especially liked yours too gold_2, I still can't believe you didn't get any votes Confused)

heck, I didn't even vote for it! there could only be one "best" and IMO, Amethyst's MOC was it. Very Happy
Poohbear
Silly Old Bear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkkazmo wrote:
I must also admit that I'm a bit disappointed in the total number of votes that had been submitted, only less than 150 votes for more than fifty entries?!!! That is a bit too low considering that there are more than 2200 members around here! And this is an official FBTB contest!

Don't forget, out of the 2200 members a quarter never returns after initially becoming a member (about 1650 members are left). Less than a quarter of that are FBTB regulars (checking the forums at least once in a two week period, about 410 members) and the rest check only every few months. Plus the 5-6 Bans so far. So we pretty much have a 400-500 amount of possible votes so 150 can be considered good or still lacking. But I know I voted for fmoo so I know I somewhat helped the community voting process. Of course this was all estimations based on what I remember from a BCS thread a long time ago.
Stingray

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay I ended up tied with Morgan19 at 5th place. Very Happy

Congrats on the win Amethyst, I hope you enjoy the awesomeness of the ultimate space battle set.
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, not only to the winners, but to everyone (especially Kazzmo) for finding the time to build some fantastically thought-out MOCs. It was a pleasure participating and browsing this contest. So thank you Ace, MODs and all of the participants, it was definately the best contest I have participated in. I would again like to thank that one member that I seem to always be able to impress.

Thanks guys

TPJ

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11
Jump to: