FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Batman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam89
Newshound

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link also confirms a Sailbarge for 2006:

The first licensed property to join the LEGO family in 1999, LEGO Star Wars™ has become one of the best-selling lines in global company history, and continues in 2006 with seven new playsets representing vehicles from the entire saga, including the B-Wing Fighter™ and Jabba the Hutt™'s Sail Barge.

I just made a thread about this here:

http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=100193#100193
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthMatticus wrote:
i doubt if that pic is real. i bet that they are gonna do the movies like with the spiderman license.

.... Holy frickin' CRAP. Did you even read the rest of this thread!?

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BrainMattR
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymania wrote:
http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/7446.shtml

Whoa:!: That is a huge announcement. People have been requesting that for years. Let's hope they add a few new figs; like Lando in disquise.
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep the Sail Barge talk in its thread over in the LEGO SW forum.

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DarthMatticus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cello Collin wrote:
DarthMatticus wrote:
i doubt if that pic is real. i bet that they are gonna do the movies like with the spiderman license.

.... Holy frickin' CRAP. Did you even read the rest of this thread!?

:D reading further it looks like classic batman, batman begins, and the animated tv show. SWEET!!!! always been a huge fan of batman even thuogh i dont like DC, cant wait for april! speculation can now begin with what the 6 sets will be.
Gumby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pac-man wrote:
Do you guys not get it?? LEGO never said they would stop getting licenses. How many times do I have to say this? They said they weren't going to focus on getting licenses. That doesn't mean giving them up all together.

Sheesh, sor-ry for misinterpreting what LEGO said.

I just become uneasy when LEGO says that they will be careful with taking on new licenses (as Bluemoose points out politely), and then shortly after, we discover their partnership with Warner Bros (as well as Nickelodeon)!

It's almost akin to an alcoholic saying that he'll tone down his alcohol consumption, only to ask if anybody wants to hang out at the bar after work in the next breath. Not very reassuring, is it?
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! A Batman line? Totally unexpected!

If LEGO is doing DC stuff right now, bring on all the Justice League! It will be a great time for me building all sorts of Mechas for them!
But I still hope LEGO will be concentrating on their original lines as well.

So far, we have some exciting news, but I hope the future sets are a bit more brick focused than Spiderman's...

My Brickshelf Gallery
Bertramtalespinner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Hyland wrote:
I don't remember LEGO saying that they were planning on making changes to Mini-Figures. Anywayze, the Batman proto-type figure I'm holding right now looks pretty cool to me...

What was your address again?...
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gumby wrote:
So much for staying away from licenses... Rolling Eyes

I dunno, I'm on the fence for this one. Batman + LEGO is cool, without a doubt, but I'm getting tired of LEGO saying one thing and doing another.

Where did everyone get the idea that LEGO was going to stay away from licenses? They did say they were getting back to their roots, and with themes like Designer, Factory and Vikings, I'd say they are...but they never said they'd turn away from licenses, just that every license they pursue would be carefully considered.

"Oh, no Mr. Warner Bros. Don't give me the license for the iconic, instantly recognizable, popular Batman. It'd never sell." Rolling Eyes

...or what Pac-Man and BlueMoose said. Embarassed

infallible wrote:
I was sad when they lost the license for Spider-Man 3...

Did I miss a memo?

Poohbear14 wrote:
I'm also very excited about this line. Funny I was just thinking about making some Batman Begins customs but it looks like I'm sort of covered. I wonder how they'll do this: based on movies, comics, or television series?

Cello Collin wrote:
As I said before Rolling Eyes, based on the Batman minifig's appearance, it's looking very much like it'll be comic-oriented.

However, if I read the press release Sam linked to in the "Sail Barge" thread, they have the license for TV show, comic and movie. The whole enchilada. I guess that revelation has been made already. Sorry, I'm playing catch-up.

Through an agreement with Warner Bros. Consumer Products, LEGO Group acquires construction toy license for the classic Batman brand, inspired by the pages of DC Comics' comic books; Warner Bros. Animation's hit television series, The Batman; Warner Bros. Pictures' blockbuster feature film, Batman Begins, which debuted in theaters this past summer and any related theatrical releases or television programs that are produced during the period of this deal.

Flail wrote:

... I just always get a bit bent out of shape when I suspect LEGO is going to redesign the minifig. We've seen LEGO make other changes that perhaps weren't so well thought out *cough* new greys *cough*.

I can deal with fleshtones, but sculpted faces with noses is just way too meagabloks ugly!

GrayMattR wrote:

And Peter (Flail), not to throw fuel to your fire, but Lego confirmed at BrickFest this year that they are considering what changes they can make to figures to make them more appealing to kids. They wouldn't say anything more than that. Try not to let your interest in Lego hinge on any changes they make in the future. It's no use worrying over things that we can't control.

Well, my initial reaction to the Batcowl with nose was "but minifigs don't have noses." I'm hoping that Flail's fears are unwarranted, but GrayMattR's comments have me a bit nervous. I don't mind if LEGO trys innovative things with their figs, just so long as they stay the same at their core. I wouldn't have any problem with flesh tones if they were universal. Some people think they're unnatural, but I think they just take getting used to. However, having one kind of minifig for licensed sets and another for regular sets seems weird to me. #%*@ or get off the pot, ya know? Anyhow, I would expect that minifigs would not change so drastically that Flail will have to get out of the game. LEGO can do whatever they want to minifig accessories as far as I'm concerned...the more variety, the happier I am. However, I think LEGO and its customers have way too much invested in the existing minifig to change too much. I mean LEGO is all about compatability, right? Why change now? If it ain't broke don't fix it! Am I starting to sound like a nervous crackpot? Huh? AM I!? Shocked
bluemoose
Scientist at Play [VET]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:
Where did everyone get the idea that LEGO was going to stay away from licenses?

It's one of those "LEGO urban myths" that appear from time to time.

It all started with the re-org that LEGO had about 2 years ago (this press release was several months after it became public knowlegde) ...

"5. Focus on classic product lines such as LEGO DUPLO/BABY/QUATRO, LEGO Make & Create, classic play themes, LEGO TECHNIC and LEGO MINDSTORMS. The aim is to achieve a stronger portfolio balance between these classic product lines and story-based products like for example BIONICLE, LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Harry Potter. This will lead to regain of the volume the company has lost over the past five years"

... which many took as meaning that licenses were on the way out.

Jake clarified on LUGNET ...

"Harry Potter and Star Wars are NOT going away any time soon. Licenses are not going to stop, simply continue to improve. We have to take (and have taken) steps to ensure we manage the peaks and valleys that licensing brings with it (Movie years vs. non-movie years, for example). We are still going to be going after the top licenses with the right brand fit. "

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=625

... which many promptly forgot about Smile

Hope that helps Smile

Ian.
Pac-man
Waka Waka Waka [VET]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for finding that information Ian.

Pac-man
JoshNoullet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the Batman nose/cowl thing, I don't think it's that big of a deal if the nose is part of the cowl. Because, when he takes the cowl off I'm sure he'd just have a regular minifig head underneath.

So, as long as the nose is just part of the headgear, I'm okay with it.
speaknspell
LEGO Community Relations Coordinator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why can't they focus more on creating original, long-lasting themes, rather than whatever's "in" at the moment? Is the company really that desperate to make a quick buck?

In at the moment??!?!?! Batman is a fad??!?!?!! Well, surely any fad thats lasted over fifty years is a fad I'm willing to buy stock in. After all Batman Begins isn't exactly the first Batman movie to shine across the silver screen. I wanna say the first one came out in the 60's, and as silly and dumb as it was, I still liked it better than Batman Forever.

Quote:
Pac-man wrote:
Do you guys not get it?? LEGO never said they would stop getting licenses. How many times do I have to say this? They said they weren't going to focus on getting licenses. That doesn't mean giving them up all together.

You guys have got to be nicer to Pac-man. He's a good guy and you're going to give him a heart attack if you don't learn this. He's right after all. TLG never once said it was going to stop doing licenses. TLG just wants to be smarter about them.

Oh, and Flail, everything's going to be alright. We're not changing the mini-figure. I was at Brickfest too and I'm not entirely sure what the other guy was talking about. TLG may alter the mini-fig (i.e. light-up, springy-sporty, etc.), but as far as I know for the foreseeable future, Mr. Minifig ain't goin nowhere. So relax, kick back, enjoy a Dr. Pepper, and bask in minifigury goodness.

Steve

PS - oh, and Batman rules

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=airspreaded
http://www.flickr.com/photos/speaknspell/
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pac-man wrote:
Thank you so much for finding that information Ian.

Pac-man

Ditto.

speaknspell wrote:

Oh, and Flail, everything's going to be alright. We're not changing the mini-figure. I was at Brickfest too and I'm not entirely sure what the other guy was talking about. TLG may alter the mini-fig (i.e. light-up, springy-sporty, etc.), but as far as I know for the foreseeable future, Mr. Minifig ain't goin nowhere. So relax, kick back, enjoy a Dr. Pepper, and bask in minifigury goodness.

Steve

PS - oh, and Batman rules

Yay!!! Smile
bricksaber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET BIPPY!!

i finally get to spill the beans (sort of).
a few months back i made a post that i knew what the next licensed set was and now i can confirm it, i work on the show Avatar and i have seen the sets. they are pretty cool and come with a ton of minifigs.
the only thing i can say about the sets is that the minifigs DON'T look like mine:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/bricksaber/misc/aang.jpg
also i will have to say special thanks to kaminoan and brickmodder for the ultra cool minifig, thanks guys!
g
ps. i used lego to help design the tanks for episode 17. i built a prototype model the artists used to see how it could work. i was glad to show the power of lego to non-lego people. Very Happy
bruce n h

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaknspell wrote:
Batman is a fad??!?!?!! Well, surely any fad thats lasted over fifty years is a fad I'm willing to buy stock in. After all Batman Begins isn't exactly the first Batman movie to shine across the silver screen. I wanna say the first one came out in the 60's, and as silly and dumb as it was, I still liked it better than Batman Forever.

Actually, according to this website, the first movie version was in 1943. Not to mention many different comic book, cartoon, live-action, TV, movie, toy, etc incarnations starting in 1939. Fad indeed. Next thing you know, LEGO will jump on these new fangled horseless carraiges and start building silly "automobile" sets to make a cheap buck.

Bruce
Ersh777

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out about Lego releasing Batman sets next year in the Spongebob LEGO thread. Sounds like it has awesome potential and I could be snagging those sets when they come out. Very Happy
Gumby

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaknspell wrote:
In at the moment??!?!?! Batman is a fad??!?!?!! Well, surely any fad thats lasted over fifty years is a fad I'm willing to buy stock in. After all Batman Begins isn't exactly the first Batman movie to shine across the silver screen. I wanna say the first one came out in the 60's, and as silly and dumb as it was, I still liked it better than Batman Forever.

I wasn't referring specifically to Batman (perhaps I should have been more clear), and I never said Batman was a fad.

It seems like I've got myself caught between a rock and a hard place. Sure, I agree that it totally makes sense for TLG to partner up with other hot names. Releasing the licensed LEGO sets when other companies are promoting the same thing is a very strategic move. As an example, just look at all the hype Sony and Warner Bros. fired up for Spiderman and Batman. TLG did the "smart" thing by acquiring those licenses. But what about the "non-hype" years??

I guess what I'm trying to say is that having all these licenses is a bit of a double-edged sword. Sure, you get to cash in on all the "free" advertising of that item, but a portion of your profits end up in the original creators' pockets. I know I'm grossly oversimplifying things here, but wouldn't it be better to have steadily increasing profits of $4, $5, and $6 over the years (where TLG keeps 100% of the profits) rather than $6, $4, and $7 (with a portion going to other companies)?

I guess the intention is to hook kids with SpongeBob (for example), with the hopes that s/he will grow to like the LEGO toy overall, regardless of theme, and continue being a customer even though they've "outgrown" SpongeBob. Personally, I was hooked by LEGO's classic themes in the 80s and 90s... But you're right, times have changed...

I just hope that TLG isn't stretching themselves out too thin with all these licenses and becoming "just another toy", and diverting resources away from their core products/themes. Vikings was definitely a step in the right direction.

Quote:
You guys have got to be nicer to Pac-man. He's a good guy and you're going to give him a heart attack if you don't learn this. He's right after all. TLG never once said it was going to stop doing licenses. TLG just wants to be smarter about them.

Assuming you're saying that I wasn't nice to Pac-man, when was I ever "mean" to him? In fact, I think Pac-man should adopt Bluemoose's behaviour of explaining and clarifying things politely without having his emotions get the better of him.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gumby wrote:

I just hope that TLG isn't stretching themselves out too thin with all these licenses and becoming "just another toy", and diverting resources away from their core products/themes. Vikings was definitely a step in the right direction.

Considering the fact that they have as many original lines as they do licensed lines (roughly), and they're continually adding new material to those original lines, I think TLG is striking a pretty good balance. Consider:

Original Lines
City
Knight's Kingdom
Alpha Team
Vikings
Dino Attack
Bionicle (love it or hate it, it's a LEGO original)
etc.

Licensed Lines
Star Wars
Harry Potter
Ferrari
Various Nick Properties
Spider-Man
Batman
Pac-man
Waka Waka Waka [VET]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gumby wrote:
Assuming you're saying that I wasn't nice to Pac-man, when was I ever "mean" to him? In fact, I think Pac-man should adopt Bluemoose's behaviour of explaining and clarifying things politely without having his emotions get the better of him.

The reason I was upset was because I had explained this about 20 times before. You'd get upset too if you had to repeat yourself that many times. Plus the fact that LEGO never said they were getting rid of licenses but the way their statement read everyone seemed to jump to that conclusion. They even came out later with an updated statement that explained everything and set the record straight. As Ian mentioned it seems as though (almost) everyone forgot about the second statement and went with their original thoughts. Enough off topic.

Pac-man
Pac-man
Waka Waka Waka [VET]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:

Original Lines
City
Knight's Kingdom
Alpha Team
Vikings
Dino Attack
Bionicle (love it or hate it, it's a LEGO original)
etc.

Licensed Lines
Star Wars
Harry Potter
Ferrari
Various Nick Properties
Spider-Man
Batman

don't forget:
Creator
My Own Train
Racers
Legend

Plus all the younger lines for Duplo and Baby.
And the girls lines Clikits, Belville (w/Hans Christian Anderson)

Pac-man
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pac-man wrote:

don't forget:
Creator
My Own Train
Racers
Legend

Plus all the younger lines for Duplo and Baby.
And the girls lines Clikits, Belville (w/Hans Christian Anderson)

Pac-man

Exactly. I did mean to mention Designer and Factory, as those are about as old-roots LEGO as you can get without having a Legend explosion, but that was just an off-the-top-of-the-head list, but it's pretty clear that LEGO has their bases covered.

Last edited by ZombieDraykov on Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
brickscout

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: In defense of Gumby with respect to Pacman Reply with quote

I'm not good at quoting people but it seems to me pacman gets upset when he has to repeat himself as anyone would. What we need in the forums is a mod only forum that us regular users can view from time to time that states Lego Facts only. Give it a title like "Lego Fact of Fiction" and have a list of things that are in question about but been proven to be a fact or at least an intention. For example, Speaknspell, has confrimed that Lego has not given up on licensing and It has been confirmed that there will be a Sailbarge Set. This would help those who hate to repeat themselves from getting frustrated and people like me (and maybe Gumby) from posting questions that have already been answered. I only found out about the Batman line today Friday 10/28 at 4pm...not all of us have time to read every single post and be expected to have read every single post before we post our own questions that may have already been answered...
speaknspell
LEGO Community Relations Coordinator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gumby wrote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that having all these licenses is a bit of a double-edged sword. Sure, you get to cash in on all the "free" advertising of that item, but a portion of your profits end up in the original creators' pockets.

That's actually a smart way to look at it, but you're leaving one thing on the wayside. In the case of a license like Star Wars, the free press that comes in association with the name is well worth the money paid for the license. Star Wars is a great seller for TLG and a lot of that is due to people buying it simply because its Star Wars. Star Wars fans are constant and we love anything to do with our favorite galaxy far far away. Star Wars LEGO is what got me buying LEGO again. You may be underselling the name recognition just a little bit.

Dray and Pac-man are also right that LEGO isn't exactly going hog wild with licenses either. LEGO is continually building up its own themes and allowing the licenses to compliment them. What licenses are able to do is attract people who wouldn't necessarily be buying and get them interested. These are just my thoughts though.

What i think is so cool about Batman is that its something I've always known. For some reason Batman has always been there in my life. I was building LEGO Batmobiles when I was 8, and that makes me even more excited to see them for real now.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=airspreaded
http://www.flickr.com/photos/speaknspell/
Greg Hyland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to make various LEGO Batmobiles!

Anywayze, (a little off topic here, but) I heard that LEGO Star Wars was the best selling Star Wars item off all Star Wars items this year... better than Hasbro action figures! And that's got to be big news considering it was a movie year (and what a movie year it was!) That HAS to be good news for LEGO... and make the license fee more than worthwhile.
"You'll thank me when you share my politics!"
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this year I noticed that Smile Because all my frineds (who never bought Lego SW before) went all out and bought almost all the sets Smile
DarthMatticus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would go for a Batman Begins train set?
luke1080

Location: Where do you think I am? Age:13 Birthday on Feb 5th

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

na na na na na Batman!!! i hope there are robin figures
batsamd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Batman is my absolute favorite superhero, and seeing as how this post is getting close to the bottom of the page, figured I'd post a question to get this forum back up to the top.

So, now that we know LEGO is planning a Batman line, and since we know LEGO can make video games based off of it's licenses (LEGO Star Wars & Harry Potter), does anybody besides me believe a LEGO Batman game is coming?

I for one would love to see a LEGO Batman game. If one did come out, then I'd have to buy a new PC to be able to play it, since my current PC can't even play the demo of the LEGO Star Wars game. Sad
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds good in theory, but it really depends on how the sets look.

Flickr <•> Big C's Blog
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 3 of 27
Jump to: