FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LEGO in Algebra class.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zombie Yuhas
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: LEGO in Algebra class. Reply with quote

Today in my college algebra class, my teacher used LEGO in a problem. We were trying to figure out how many of each set of two sets we'd need to have enough 26 square grey bricks and 42 rectangular grey bricks to build a "LEGO diorama." The sets were a racecar set and a police station set he said. I immediately pictured a racing set and a police station set and was thinking "Those pieces aren't in those sets." People laughed at him, and he was like "Okay, so some of you think this is childish... Well, just pretend you have a kid who plays with LEGO." and I looked at my roommate Brian and was like "Or a childish roommate."
So now I know how to figure out how much of each set I should get to be able to build things I want to build. I knew math class was good for something! The whole rest of the class I wasn't able to pay attention because I was thinking all about LEGO.

So anyway, we used a system of linear functions.
I was wondering if anyone else here could figure this out. I got the answer of course, because I'm a genius.

Needed: 26 square grey bricks
42 rectabgular black bricks

Racecar set has 2 grey, 4 black.
Police sets has 7 grey, 9 black.

Of course, you have to make it so it's exactly 26 Grey, and 42 black. Can't go over, like I'm sure most of us often do when buying parts for upcoming projects. So how many of the racing set and how many of the police set?

EDIT: I changed 4 black to 9 black, so as not to seem as big of an idiot.

Last edited by Zombie Yuhas on Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 2 police sets and 6 race cars, but that only meets the 26 requirement. I can only get 32 black pieces instead of 42.

Maybe I suck at math.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Zombie Yuhas
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because I'm an idiot and typed the wrong number. The police set has 9 black, not 4 black. You got it right though.
I may be a math genius, but I'm still an idiot when it comes to things like typing correct numbers.
Whenever I get ANYTHING wrong in math, it is because I can't read my handwriting, so I multiply the wrong number because I think a 4 is a 9 or something. I suck.
Pac-man
Waka Waka Waka [VET]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way. The Police set gives you 7 grey bricks you need 26, an even number. The only way to get an even number of grey bricks is to multiply 7 by an even number. Lets try 2. That gives you 14. Good that leaves 12 left which can be obtained by multiplying the Race Car set by 6. This gives you the correct answer. Lets say you multiplied the Police set by 4 instead. That gives you 28 which is over the 26 need.

so the answer is simple.
2 Police and 6 Race Rars.

Pac-man
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: