FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is a set only as good as the parts it's made of?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M-1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Is a set only as good as the parts it's made of? Reply with quote

For the last 2 or 3 years, I've been in something of a second LEGO dark age (it's one of a few reasons I haven't been seen around FBTB much). I'm on a semi-return right now and I'm looking up all the stuff I've missed and remember. One of the things that strikes me is the number of negative reviews at places like LUGNET based on one thing- parts. Whilst I can understand being upset if a set is too simplified, what confuses me is how many (especially older) fans look at a set and say "Hasn't got any parts I can currently use, therefore it's crap". It's especially odd when talking about something like a licensed property like Star Wars. Yes, it makes perfect sense for LEGO to ignore the actual design of AAT and at your whims throw in a bunch of pieces that have no actual connection to the set. Whatever happened to judging the set for what it was? Rebuild value is important but fans need to stop looking at LEGO sets as parts sets with an instruction book included.
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversely, many AFOL get one set to build and display (or play with) and then copies to use in their MOCs. So it's inevitable that they'd critique parts as, like you said, juniorized, simple, too specialized, etc.

Kids, on the other hand, are less likely to be that picky. I know when I was little I'd build ships out of rainbow colors, something I know I could never do now simply because it would drive me nuts. Wink

Quote:
Whatever happened to judging the set for what it was? Rebuild value is important but fans need to stop looking at LEGO sets as parts sets with an instruction book included.

That's the biggest sticking point of your argument. Many of the AFOLs today see LEGO sets, after they've built the first ones, as just that: a bunch of pieces to be used in other creations, and in fact that's supposed to be one of the selling points of LEGO, that you can take it apart and build something else. Why do you think they have all those alternate models on the back? Wink

The ones complaining have a point, if you take it in context and look at it from their perspective. As models or toys they pieces may be great, but once someone moves on to building MOCs they might realize that same set might not be as good for building other things.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr

Last edited by Morbie19 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluemoose
Scientist at Play [VET]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<shrug> It's much easier to assess a set from the perspective of what you want from it, rather than stepping back from it and trying to take an unbiased view - this is true from both extremes.

Only interested in parts packs ? - it's gonna be rubbish unless it has the parts you want.

Only interested in a particular license ? - it's gonna be great, no matter how poor the parts selection or set design.

Trying to sit in the middle ground can be very hard, but it's not impossible for a set to keep both sides happy ... the original Snowspeeder springs to mind.

Ian.
Count Blockula
Undead Undead Vampire Zombieraiser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I admit that I donít build most of the sets I buy, and instead just dump the pieces out and sort them into my various containers, bins, etc., I donít necessarily buy only sets that have parts I positively need to build MOCs with. While I DO look at sets mostly for their parts, I pretty like every part LEGO makes. I donít resell or trade my LEGO parts, so I have no interest in creating a huge collection of bulk parts in order to make a profit. And, although some of my friends and family might may speak to the contrary, Iím not merely a packrat or a hoarder, either. Wink I just like the idea of having all sorts of different pieces, in hopes that I might need or want them someday. Heck, I still buy Belville and Duplo stuff. And, the majority of it is just sitting unused, and has been for a long time. But, if I see a set that comes with a really weird piece, and the price is right, Iíll pick it up just for that part. Sometimes, you just gottaí have the LEGO cow, yaí know? Wink

Plus, even though Iíve been known to tear a minifig limb from limb occasionally Wink, I still collect them. I used to collect Star Wars action figures, so, particularly for the Star Wars LEGO line, I view them more as collectibles than spare parts. (Of course, my pile of legless Jar Jars may speak to the contrary Very Happy ). Basically, even though Iím a parts monkey, thereís still plenty of reasons why I might buy a set other than because itís a great parts pack. After all, there arenít very many useful parts in the LEGO Vampire Halloween costume, but I still bought it. Sure, itís not a LEGO set, but itís a LEGO product that appealed to me (someone who isnít even the target audience of the product) in a special way that made me want to purchase it. Ok, yes, I did wear it last Halloween. Razz But, that just shows that I bought it for itís play value, and not for the parts. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a set only as good as the parts it's made of? Reply with quote

M-1 wrote:
Whilst I can understand being upset if a set is too simplified, what confuses me is how many (especially older) fans look at a set and say "Hasn't got any parts I can currently use, therefore it's crap". It's especially odd when talking about something like a licensed property like Star Wars. Yes, it makes perfect sense for LEGO to ignore the actual design of AAT and at your whims throw in a bunch of pieces that have no actual connection to the set. Whatever happened to judging the set for what it was?

Well, we'd also like to see creativity on Lego's part. Make them use a rare part in a new way. That's why so much fan stuff (particularly T/AFOL stuff) is so darn good. They use more pieces to get more accuracy and more value into the creation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started collecting the Star Wars line, I was just thrilled for the sets them selves regardless of what parts they contained, but after few months, I had the urge to start building my own creations again, so I started looking at them as part packs instead...
Now after few years, I became another parts monkey too. I care about building my own stuff much more than building what LEGO is producing... Many of the AFOL/TFOL builders are becoming artists in this medium, and they are just using these LEGO parts to express their own artistic messages/visions and share them with the rest of the community.

But still many of us still buy some of those sets for what they are. I still have some of my Star Wars, Technic and UCS sets assembled as display pieces. Wink

My Brickshelf Gallery
BernMarsh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time I just buy the sets for them selves and worry about the parts later. I'm sort of a purist in a way because I like to keep the main model built and displayed. I like MOC's, but I don't base my set buying on then. Now Pick a Brick, thats all for MOC's, but with the regular sets, if it makes me happy, and just about any LEGO does, I buy it.
BrainMattR
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all in the eye of the beholder. Someone (like me) would look at those Technic Hockey sets and say "stupid!" but my kids love playing with them and whacking the puck around the kitchen floor. Then there are sets that I wouldn't build or want to buy but they've got something interesting to me, like some printed tiles that can be used for MOCs. I got the Adventurer's Tygurah's Roar set for the skeleton heads and the Tygurah fig; I had no particlur use for any of the other pieces other than adding to my stock. There are also times when I have no interest in a set but see it at such a great clearance sale that I buy it for the sake of stocking up.

I do build every set I buy for the sake of going through the instructions to see if there's some nice building method. And there are some sets I've built and kept together and haven't taken them apart. There's just no right answer to determine what makes a set worthwhile. I don't put a lot of trust in the opinions of those who constantly complain or post to the effect of "if I can't use it, it's crap." For me, if I can't use it, I'll skip it and get something else because there's a boatload of good stuff Lego puts out every year.
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One aspect of this problem that no one talked about yet is the price per piece ratio.

When you buy a set, wheter it's a 10, 20, or 100 $ set, you expect to get your money's worth. If you're a parts monkey, that means getting lots of pieces, or some very specialized or rare part that you need. If you're a set collector, it means getting a great looking set that looks accurate as possible. If you're a parent or a kid, that means getting alot of playability out of the toy.

So, when people think they aren't getting their money's worth, they tend to complain about it.

Personally, I know that I've complain about a few sets over the years. Sometimes, I felt that LEGO didn't give me enough parts for the price I was paying. Other times, I thought the model itself was a poor representation of the actual ship or vehicle. And other times, I just thought the entire set was a waste of my money.

I think the important thing when reading reviews about LEGO sets is to know what's important to you. For intance, if you know someone to be a parts monkey, and you're not, don't read his/her review, because it won't tell you what you want to know. IMHO, the best reviews are made by people who make an inventory of the different pieces that come with the set, take the time to build the actual model and play with it for a while. That's the kind of complete review I'm looking for.

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuťLUG
Goose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I also bought a set for the model, but lately its also a case of, what pieces are there, what's the price per piece and colours. A few times will I buy for a model.

A case in point, I will get the Designer Wild hunters set for that awesome looking lion, but on the flip side, I'll be getting Star Wars Wookie Attack just for the pieces, the track tread to be specific.

A set should never be considered "crap" if its made by LEGO. I mean, it's LEGO. Plastic bricks with LEGO written on them some where. That's coolness already Very Happy
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose wrote:
Plastic bricks with LEGO written on them some where. That's coolness already Very Happy

Suddenly I think of M&Ms.

How *do* they get those little 'm's on there?
Flail

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never buy a set just for parts. I will, on occasion, get a set just for ist's minifigs. But mostly, I get a set because I like the model.

I build every set I get, unless it's a small set I bought just for the fig(s).

I will soon be getting the ARC-170 and I will build it and probably modify it, but I expect it to stay built.

So, generally, I judge a set base on the merits of the model.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: