FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RH: Men in Tights DVD?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: RH: Men in Tights DVD? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any insight as to why Robin Hood: Men in Tights hasn't been released on DVD yet? They've been good with Mel Brooks' other movies and I've been waiting for this one to come out, but still no word. Harumph, I say, harumph!

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Zombie Austin
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fairly large number of Mel Brooks films aren't out on DVD (such as my personal favorite, 'High Anxiety'), which leads me to believe he isn't gung-ho about rereleasing his films.
Denise
Herder of Cats [VET]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Men in Tights is the *only* stupid comedy that I will admit to liking ~ but only parts of it. Whenever it shows up on cable tv, I'll watch the parts I like, and walk out on the really stupid stuff. But still...I'd buy it:)
ConanTheLibrarian89

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the bueaty of video/DVD; you can skip to the part you like. Of course, if we were talking about Pauly Shore's movies, you can watch them on T.V. because there is nothing unfunny about them.

Last.FM
gold_2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh! Men in Tights is just awful! almost as bad as Dracula, Dead and Loving It, but not quite. my question isn't why ist not on DVD, but why anyone would want it.
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because some of us don't insist on treating satire and silliness as serious filmmaking and appreciate it for what it is, not what it isn't. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KungFused wrote:
Because some of us don't insist on treating satire and silliness as serious filmmaking and appreciate it for what it is, not what it isn't. Smile

I don't have that problem my friend. I do get a little upset when I shell out money at Blockbuster for a comedy and instead I get put to sleep. Wink
In fact, I like a lot of Mel Brooks' stuff, just not either of these two.
bluemoose
Scientist at Play [VET]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Men in Tights is out on DVD ... in Europe & Australia.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004U0MG/ref=ase_imdb-uk/026-7282271-2378005
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/2974

If you've got a multi-region capable DVD player, and a PAL compatible TV (or want to watch it on your PC), you should be able to sort something out.

As for why the US has been ignored, sorry, I've no idea ...

Ian.
Denise
Herder of Cats [VET]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold_2, how can you not like the line dance by a bunch of 'men in tights'? "We're men - manly men! - men in tights - tight tights! - we roam around the forest looking for fights..." That, and "nip the tip!" C'mon, don't they at least make you smile? Maybe my female perspective has something to do with it Smile
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluemoose wrote:
If you've got a multi-region capable DVD player, and a PAL compatible TV (...), you should be able to sort something out.

Ahh, one of many reasons I'm glad I found that region/format-free DVD player at Costco. Mr. Green

Flickr <> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BigDog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Men in Tights also but never realized it wasn't out on dvd yet. With Space Balls getting a Special Edition this spring maybe that means more Brooke's movies will be getting released?
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it's a regular US television and DVD player for me Confused, so International options aren't... options. Wink

Quote:
With Space Balls getting a Special Edition this spring maybe that means more Brooke's movies will be getting released?

That's a good point, perhaps that will help kickstart DVD production. Someone mentioned Brooks not "wanting" his movies released to DVD... is that really the case? Why would a filmmaker not want his work more available for consumer consumption?

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Big Z
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heyyyy, I didn't know there was a Special Edition of Space Balls coming out! Sweet! Any new features and junk on it?

Flickr <> Big C's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Faulconbridge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special Edition!? Great... I just bought the old edition. Rolling Eyes Oh well, it was less than $10 so I can't complain too much.
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cello Collin wrote:
Heyyyy, I didn't know there was a Special Edition of Space Balls coming out! Sweet! Any new features and junk on it?

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showrelease.php3?ID=5234

Quote:
Special Edition!? Great... I just bought the old edition. Oh well, it was less than $10 so I can't complain too much.

Well the original was released like five years ago, it's overdue for something like this. At least they're not doing it within a few months of each other like a lot of other movies these days.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
gold_2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denise wrote:
Gold_2, how can you not like the line dance by a bunch of 'men in tights'? "We're men - manly men! - men in tights - tight tights! - we roam around the forest looking for fights..." That, and "nip the tip!" C'mon, don't they at least make you smile? Maybe my female perspective has something to do with it Smile

you're certainly right, that song is amusing. but its the only noteworthy part of the whole movie if you ask me. give me Blazing Saddles or History of the World any day Wink
Count Blockula
Undead Undead Vampire Zombieraiser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of Men in Tights, either. (The movie, or in general. Razz )

I think the reason I didn't enjoy the film so much was that the jokes seemed a bit too forced. Young Frankenstein was pure genius, and Spaceballs was hilarious. I'll admit, Dracula Dead and Loving It wasn't cinematic gold, but I actually had fun watching it. ("I'm drinking wine and eating fried chicken! It's goooood!") Very Happy

Plus, every time I see that Wesley (The Man in Black) guy playing Robinhood, all it does is remind me of the other, GOOD medieval comedy he was in: The Princess Bride; so, that just makes Robinhood Men in Tights look all that much more worse to me by comparison. (Not that the two films can really be compared, though. I just happen like one MUCH better than the other.) I do like Dom DeLuise's character, however. But, I liked him even better in History of the World ("Wash this!"). Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BigDog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite part is when Robin and John are fighting over the river crossing and you have A'choo going..."it's not like it's exactly the mississippi, look I'm on the east side, I'm on the west side".
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I said 'Hey Blinkin' not 'Abe Lincoln!'"

Razz

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: