FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The next chapter in SW history (and a MOC to go with it)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schism

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: The next chapter in SW history (and a MOC to go with it) Reply with quote

I have taken it upon myself to record and distribute the happenings that take place in the year commonly called 150 A.E. (After Endor). 150 years after the Empire's defeat at Endor, the galaxy is in ruins. The Jedi and the Republic are scattered and broken. This new chapter in Star Wars history, which ushers in an age of terror and hopelessness, also introduces with it a new entity called the Vicissim.

Read the whole story here: The Vicissim - Chapter I

Along with this new entity comes many new starships used by the Vicissim. Among them is the Prodigy.

See it on MOCpages here: The Prodigy

This ship is launching my new project entitled: "Vessels of the Vicissim" The Prodigy is the first, and there are more to come... as soon as I find some more gray!

All comments; good, bad, indifferent and suggestions for improvement are greatly appreciated on both the story and the ship. Enjoy!

MOCpages gallery
We all make choices. But in the end... our choices make us.

Last edited by Schism on Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThePaleMan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I saw this on Brickshelf last night and I'm totally in love with it. I can't really say what grabs me, though. I think it's that engine off to the side. And I do love it when things aren't symmetrical. I just love this MOC. I'll post again after I've studied it more.

TPM
Mirage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after hearing several reports on the construction of this ship you were building for me Twisted Evil I checked brickshelf last night and to my surprise it was up and looking good. I really think the asymetrical look gave this ship its own personality and made it different from the rest. The weapons are awesome and the overall concept is cool . Of course with this you made me rethink some of my building techniques on the orbital ca... uh nevermind.

By the way nice backstory
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it last night, and I spent a bit of time looking at every detail you put in there... And I'm quite impressed by it's unorthodox asymmetrical design. I don't wanna tell you what to improve on it, since I don't wanna mess up with your artistic vision that you obviously spent a lot of time in polishing it.

You are discovering your own building style now, and what a building style it is... Your work is progressing rapidly, and you are outdoing your self every time you post.

Great work pal.

My Brickshelf Gallery
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I really enjoyed the backstory. It's well written, and quite frankly very refreshing compared to others I have seen.

As for the Prodigy, like others have said, the asymetrical design is really great. I also like the technic you used for the main body, because it isn't used that often for different reasons. Yet on this ship, it looks natural and appropriated.

The details are pretty nice overall except for the 2X8 plate with all the greebes on the front. I would loose that.

My main problem is with the engines. I can figure that propulsion systems have evolved over the years, but I still think those 4 little 1X1 engines couldn't give that starfighter the propulsion it needs.

But overall, a very original and well thought of MOC IMHO.

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Schism

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone!

ThePaleMan - Thank you! This is the first assymetrical ship I've done, and I've found that I like it a lot. I'm going to try to continue with the style in the other Vicissim ships and see where it takes me.

Mirage - Thanks! I'm glad it's not a disappointment.

Darkkazmo - Thanks a bunch, dude, that means a lot. I put more time into this than all of my others, and I'm glad it shows. Thanks for the kind words.

Daz Hoo - Thank you! I'm glad you like the backstory. Keep yer eyes peeled for more installments. I used the 2x8 to replace a 1x8 tile, which covered the tiniest of gaps made by the landing gear "bay." It made for a messy appearance. I agree that it may look a little bulky, but I thougt it was better than the alternative. Maybe I'll try some other options. As for the engines... yeah, that might be true. But take the new JSF for example: it has two such 1x1s. The Prodigy has twice as many! That's gotta count for something! It is 150 years after Endor, and like all technology, engines are bound to take up less space as time goes on. That, and I didn't have room for larger ones! Thanks for the compliments and the suggestions!

MOCpages gallery
ThePaleMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, for real now.

What I like:
-The overall shape, as I stated before.
-the cockpit contruction. Very nice.
-the detail to the engine - plus you've got 4 little thrusters back there that help a lot.
-the greebles on both the side and top of the nose, though you said the ones on the top have since been replaced.
- the wrenches sticking out
- the cannons. perfect size on a ship like this. Not too big. Too much of that syndrome running rampant lately.

What I don't like:
-the sticker
-the landing gear. Just the shape of it really.

These things being said, great MOC again. I'll bet you'd love to do one in white and dark red.

TPM
Hman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm loving this. The first thing that caught my eye was the use of the wrenches on the front-left of the cockpit, nice.

Keep up the great work.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks again, TPM. I didn't actually replace the greeblies on top. I said I'd explore other options because someone suggested that it was too bulky. As far as I can tell, there aren't any. I'm happy with it anyway. As for the sticker, well... for a first attempt, it isn't too bad. I tried at first just to have the hawk on there, but I couldn't cut it precisely enough, even with an exacto knife. I might try again... eventually. The landing gear was limited by space, of course, so there's not a whole lot that can be done with that. As always, thanks a lot for your suggestions and the compliments.

Hman - Thanks! I've got about 100 spare wrenches left over from my Doc Ock project. I thought I'd put 'em to use.

Thanks again to everyone who responded and perhaps had suggestions. I appreciate it!

MOCpages gallery
Legostein
MINI Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a tricky and clever starship design! Good work! The weapon emplacements are especially nice. However, I second what is said just above. Please exchange the bley bricks with normal dark grey. Smile

~ Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Schism

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone was going to mention it. This ship has changed shape so many times. At first, it was going to be totally light grey, except for the dark bley highlights. But, as the thing progressed, I found that I couldn't escape using dark grey. And, as I found out later, I'm out of those 2x4's in dark grey anyway! So that's what it's going to be for a while. Thank you both for the comments. I'm very glad you like the ship!

MOCpages gallery
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I don't like is that I find the word "Vicissim" hard to pronounce.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wedge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]wedge

Very nice. You should send it to Lucas and mabye some of his writers will make it into a book![/img]
Schism

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan wrote:
The only thing I don't like is that I find the word "Vicissim" hard to pronounce.

Well, if that's the only thing you don't like, I'm grateful! Actually, the word is not entirely of my own design. I got it from the word "vicissitude" which means "a change," which is what they are attempting to do throughout the galaxy. It seemed to fit well.

Wedge wrote:
Very nice. You should send it to Lucas and mabye some of his writers will make it into a book!

I could always try! Wink Thanks a lot.

MOCpages gallery
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the word needs another M: Vicissism Vi-ci-sism. Maybe one less s too. Smile

Catchy backstory, though, and a good-looking off-centered fighter to match. I'm pretty sure it would tend to spin, though; even in space, objects have mass, and if the force from the engine comes from one side or the other of the ships center of mass, it'll spin. That's how the space shuttles maneuver to dock. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about that. Actually, that large "engine" is the hyperdrive, sort of a built-in docking ring, like the one the JSF uses. The way I understand hyperdrives, it's more of a "field" around the ship, not a "thrust." If that's the case, it wouldn't really matter where it is on the ship. So, that's my method behind the madness. Thanks, and I'm glad you like the story!

MOCpages gallery
OUTATIME

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I love it. It's so ugly and beautiful at the same time, if you know what I mean. The odd design helps to further the idea that this race is mysterious and relatively unknown.

The SNOT work is excellent, I like how the whole thing is built sideways. Cool idea to put a canopy beneath the pilot's seat, that could give a bit of an advantage in space combat. I find it interesting that one really small detail catches my eye... the two wrenches near the front left of the cockpit. Creative use of those parts.

At first, I thought the offset hyperdrive was a huge gun... either way, I like it. Very nice ship! Smile Looking forward to seeing more Vicissim ships from you.

My Lego Website
"I see the hand of man arise, with hungry mind and open eyes..." -Rush, 2112
R.I.P John Z. DeLorean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ThePaleMan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words came to my mind when I read the history...

Space Ninjas!

TPM
Schism

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUTATIME - Thanks a lot! I know just what you mean about the "ugly" part. I'm glad it looks just ugly enough to be cool. As for the sideways building style - I've found that I like it a lot! It's a bit of a challenge certainly, but it give the ship a nice, smooth look. I'll be experimenting with it in the future for sure. And the hyperdrive... and understandable mistake to make. I believe I feel an idea coming on...

TPM - :D. That's honestly a cool idea, though. I thought about that the first time I played KOTOR and found out that I could use swords.

MOCpages gallery
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: