FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Special Edition A-Wing (minifig scale)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scalki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Special Edition A-Wing (minifig scale) Reply with quote

Folder post mod: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=117806

This model is shameless borrowing of other’s ideas. I cannot take too much credit for this design other than combining other people’s excellent work. I pillaged several ideas from brickshelf and combined the best of each design. The main design I copied was found here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=57184

I made a few changes to that design by changing the backend of the cockpit and adding the rings to the engines – again, neither of which are my original design.

I made the real model but my digital camera cannot take good quality pictures of Lego no matter what settings I change. I did not bother with properly orienting some of the pieces in LDRAW, but the finished product looks the same. The Dark-Red parts did not render well. You can barely make out the difference in color between Red and Dark-Red.

I put the LDRAW instructions in the folder for anyone interested. I did not put too much effort in making the instructions perfect, but all the pieces are there. I had to use a few unofficial LDRAW parts, but those can all be found at ldraw.org.

I’d love to hear if anyone has ideas for improvements.
JediKnight25

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really cool! Smile

The A-Wing is one of my favorite ships, and you have done a good job in making it in LEGO (even if you cannot take all the credit).

I cannot think of any improvements at this time, sorry. Confused
Repoort
Man of Many Reds

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's pretty nifty.

I don't think you should call it Special Edition, since that's usually stuff that's NOT minifig scale, but more proportionate and accurate. Minifig scale is more of a "Playskool" stretched size, which doesn't work. Heh.

Me and my technicalities.
guybrush

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda looks like a wee version of mine, only with much more stable fins.

It's a skootch too pudgey for my tastes. The reason I never translated the "slanty ice-cream sandwich" design to minifig scale myself was that I feared it'd just be too think up front. Hard to say, especially since those renders don't have perspective.

The windscreen rendered exceptionally well. Is that POV-RAY?
errbt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Nice hybridization of other's ideas along with your own spin to make a very detailed ship for such a small size! I like the fact that you actually built it as well...creations that exist only in L-draw seem a bit like "cheating" to me, as unfair as that may be.

Also, a word for LeonardOQ's version: Love the blue color scheme!

Again, well done scalki!

-Brian

My MOCpages page

My Brickshelf Gallery

Myspace Page
Gritsen

Location: Little cottage in the middle of a swamp (that´s in Finland!).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the new X-wing remake! I mean that It looks like minifig- scale Gareth´s A-wing! Very Happy

,-----(o)[*](o)-----, ~ ¤\-==-{[]"<__\
scalki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies.

Repoort, Thanks for the clarification on what to call it. I wasn't clear on what to classify the model. It was much larger than the system set, but still fit a minifig.

Gareth, the construction was almost identical to your UCS version. I even used the same method to attach each segment. The only major change was the engines. I did indeed use Pov-Ray. I was quite surprised how well the windscreen rendered. I have considered trying to thin it out a bit because I also think it is a bit pudgy and too thick.
Wedge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice blue color. The A-wing is awsome, and you've just made it better! Razz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: