FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A request and a contest

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M-1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: A request and a contest Reply with quote

Hello everyone. The rarely seen UK guy is back.
First of all, many thanks to everyone who helped me with my toy survey back before Christmas. I got a good mark for it and part of that was having market research from guys like you. Cheers.

Anywhoo, I've managed to slip in to make a request and at the same time suggest a contest. I can't get to my own personal LEGO collection right now but there's a design I'm itching to build- http://mahq.net/mecha/gundam/z/juniorms.htm This is a Junior Mobile Suit from Zeta Gundam. As you can see by the pilot seat it's not too big and I think it'd look pretty cool done in LEGO. Now, you're probably wondering how this relates to Star Wars. Well, that ties in with my suggestion for a 'contest'. Here's a little backstory I drummed up-

Due to the large numbers of cargo needing to be placed on board crusiers (both legal and illegal), ship owners looked to mechanical means to do so. One of the most common means of doing so were piloted load lifters. Based on a humanoid form they required an organic pilot, allowing more paranoid transporters to personally oversee the loading and unloading of goods rather than entrust the job to droids.
During the Clone Wars these machines took on a different role. Due to the large scale of the conflict, Clone Trooper teams would often be required to be resourceful and use any means possible to complete a campaign. As such, certain teams would often convert their load lifters for combat duty. Due to the makeshift nature of these 'upgrades', no two units were ever alike. There have even been stories of certain Jedi Knights using a similar strategy. Following the Clone Wars, the practice was adopted by the Rebel Alliance who turned the idea against it's inventors in their battle against the Empire

I'm sure most can see where I'm going with this- using the original design as a basis, people can make their own individual unit. It could be a heavy artillery one made by a stranded Clone Trooper or a light saber packing one used by a gearhead Jedi. The choice is yours.
ThePaleMan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have to say that Mechas aren't really my thing, I have seen a lot of nifty smaller ones in the past couple of months done in LEGO. I think people will have a lot of fun with this. I know when I saw the pics my brain immediately started working.

TPM
schmeeb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mechs arent really my forte either, but i think i might give this one a shot.
ApophisV

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I find the parts and the time I'll try to make one too (I am building a hangar for my latest space craft currently, so there aren't too much useful parts left Sad)

Actually that mecha looks like some more bulky version of an APU from Matrix!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, Junior ( Razz ) predates the APU by over a decade. Here's some screenshots I found which give a rough idea of it in action- http://www.gun-plus.com/screenshots/z/epten01.jpg
http://www.gun-plus.com/screenshots/z/epten18.jpg
cedarsith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it the starting and ending date of this contest?
M-1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cedarsith wrote:
When it the starting and ending date of this contest?

That's kinda why I'm calling it a 'contest'. It's the best term I could think of sorry. My intent wasn't so much an actual contest but more of everyone giving their take on an idea. Kinda like the modular base idea a year or so ago.
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a mecha buff my self and I like your idea a lot... Probably we could develop it to some kind of building contests..

BTW M-1, do you have any mecha creations of yours to check out?

My Brickshelf Gallery
M-1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkkazmo wrote:
I'm a mecha buff my self and I like your idea a lot... Probably we could develop it to some kind of building contests..

BTW M-1, do you have any mecha creations of yours to check out?

That sounds like a good idea. I'd really like to see this take off.

As for creations of my own- like I said at the start, I haven't had access to my collection for a while (the reason why is kinda personal and awkward so I won't go into it) so I'm afaid I have to say no Sad It drives me nuts- I have a ton of ideas but can't do anything with them.
Darkkazmo
Lord of the Bricks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me and we can discuss it..

My Brickshelf Gallery
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: