FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fer it er agin' it: Animation in LEGO Commercials

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Fer it er agin' it: Animation in LEGO Commercials Reply with quote

For most folks, this is probably a non-issue and it's just my crusty, old nostalgia getting in the way of progress, but how do you guys feel about the fact that LEGO figs and bricks are becoming increasingly animated in recent commercials?

Don't get me wrong...I'm happy to see LEGO on TV at all, and these new commercials are pretty cool. They do strike a pretty good balance between CG and actual brick for the most part. However, I remember simpler times when the actual brick was the whole focus in LEGO commercials. And of course, there is this embarrasment, which I still love in spite of its utter cheeziness and the vocal stylings of that 80s toy commercial jingle singer guy.

Last edited by ZombieDraykov on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm a KFOL (almost a TFOL, but that is irrelevent), I'm agin' it. I think that LEGO dudes should move the way LEGO dudes were meant to be moved, and in no other way. I'm glad the SW commercials aren't like this Power Miner one.
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally love that 1979 Classic Space commercial. Those first couple of years of that line are the only true Space sets as far as Im concerned. That really brings back some memories. Thanks for sharing those clips.

I named my kid Zach (not Zack though) because of those old maniac ads.
The Department of Redundancy Department
JPCJedi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For it. With the release of more and more LEGO video games, it's only a natural step. As long as the commercials include pictures of the real toys being sold, it's fine with me.

The real question is CGI vs. stop-motion. People will remember the Spider-man stop motion and can compare it with the Star Wars/Indiana Jones cgi made recently. It's an honest toss-up, because they're equal in my book. Stop-motions tend to be funnier, but cgi flicks can do more and include non-LEGO cgi elements.
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a big fan of stop-motion, I find CGI LEGO to be lazy. It takes a lot of the challenge out of giving personality to a minifig, which has such limited range of motion. It bothered me in the LEGO Star Wars game, and every time I see a minifig's arms bend like noodles, it makes me wince.

That being said, CGI is shiny, and gets my attention.
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Power Miners commercial is fine.

The vehicles move correctly. Each has a real construction sequence. Did you notice the real shots of the figures? The facial animation builds story which does sell "Adventure!" to boys.

I do cringe at the thought of my kids taking my bricks outside to the sandbox. Dirt getting in the pieces and scratching them up. Minifigs crying out "No!" as they gut sucked into the dirt. And finally, the whirr as the lawnmower comes by and chews up tens if not hundreds of peices.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that Miners commercial is actually quite good, it illustrates the world that this line is supposed to represent, but doesn't go beyond the range of what the toys can really do.

And some of the reason for doing ads like these now? Because they can.
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I :D'd when the rock monster tried to eat the drill...

Good advert, the mech walking was good.
JayfoZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the animation really. IMO, they do a better job of advertising the product than some older ads. That said, I still have always loved Zack.
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fer it er agin' it: Animation in LEGO Commercials Reply with quote

ZombieDraykov wrote:
...I remember simpler times when the actual brick was the whole focus in LEGO commercials.

Oh, thank-you for that link! <dusts off Galaxy Explorer sitting on computer desk> (Uh, oh. Where'd the antennae go? Confused )

The timing on seeing this old #6080 King's Castle commercial is amazing because i was just building and photographing that set a few days ago. Gotta love the hair on the kid in that commercial. Talk about a brown 'Poof'. Smile
Zombie Jones
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fer it er agin' it: Animation in LEGO Commercials Reply with quote

Zombie Sillyus wrote:

Oh, thank-you for that link! <dusts off Galaxy Explorer sitting on computer desk> (Uh, oh. Where'd the antennae go? Confused )

I am green with envy, and it's not even because I'm a zombie.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: