FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The nerd thread...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
copyrrrrr
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: The nerd thread... Reply with quote

The last few weeks we've been talking binary and hex in the forums, so I know we're full of nerds here. But yesterday I was linked to a website full of nerd wear. When I understood over half the jokes, I realized that I, unfortunately, am a nerd.

For instance:

2 b or not 2 b
Geek Love Poem

So, how did you learn that you're a nerd?
BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I look at all the old XKCD comics that I never understood, and now understand, it's a humbling feeling Laughing

Also, because i've been a moderately agressive arguer of Star Wars lore with all my friends occasionally Razz
Zombifox
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just now when I seriously considered buying the Geek love poem shirt Shocked
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that, somehow, I always knew :

- I was good at school (well, more like great).
- I was instantly a Star Wars fan the first time I saw A New Hope (back when Han was the one shooting first).
- Back in the days, one of my favorite shows on TV was Star Trek : The Next Generation.
- I started playing live-action medieval role-playing games when I was 20, where I got to put on a medieval plated armor and wack the heck out of other players with a foam sword.
- After that, I got into the Internet, I started making my own websites.
- Then, I got (back) into LEGO as an adult collector, and started hanging around here.
- Nowadays, instead of watching reality shows like most people, I watch shows like Mythbusters or Battlestar Galactica. Also, instead of putting on the sport channel like any other normal guy, I put on Space or the Discovery channel.
- I'm part of a LUG.

With all that evidence, how can I ever doubt that I am a true nerd?

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
James P. Zomblton
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first realized I was a nerd when I was in a conversation and pulled out a reference to an obscure bit of Batman trivia that I had to explain (this was when I was about 12).

Everything went downhill from there.
Duchessa
The Queen [MOD]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more than 600 Lego sets / 100 000 pcs at home. I'm a woman.

Now, if those facts alone doesn't make me a nerd... Smile
bluemoose
Scientist at Play [VET]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The geek love poem is a great t Smile

Ian
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The love poem is awesome.

And I <3 this.

I think it's safe to say I'm a nerd, and that some of you guys pushed me further into nerdism than I thought I could ever go.

Best one
Or this one
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a nerd. Earliest signs I remember are from the first grade, for some art assignment... I painted a bunch of flying saucers landing on the moon. As a bored kid I would make little toy robots and aliens out of duct tape, cardboard, and other junk from the garage or recycling bin. The most prominent thing I remember from my trip to New York from around the 4th grade is seeing the Skylon Tower at Niagra Falls, because it looked like a UFO. One of my favorite Christmas presents was a telescope and for about two weeks I was keeping track of the moons I could see around Jupiter.

In an 8th grade elective class called "Engineering Concepts" I invented a backpack with a built in stool so kids wouldn't have to sit on the sidewalk or lean on the fence while waiting for the bus - and I used the prototype for the rest of that year (I was also one of only a few others to get an A in the class).

In high school I coded a functional ascii based Pong program in PASCAL, in my spare time after finishing the assigned class work. In my first physics class I designed the only hot air balloon in the class to successfully fly. I also won an egg drop competition by building a 4 foot hang glider from duct tape and ski poles. The only clubs I was in were the Ultimate Frisbee Organization (possibly the nerdiest sport you can find in high school) and the Science Olympiad team (on which I won numerous medals over the years in various events). For the "Bio-Camp" trip my senior year (the cool science/electronics/biology instructors took about 40 students of to some YMCA camp for a few days out of the week for various quasi-educational activities, and a massive snowball war) I organized a GPS Scavenger hunt. Plus, I started collecting Star Wars toys around then too...

After that I learned to draft on a computer and used every machine I had access to in college to make something dorky like this and that. I worked at a theater while finishing my AS degree, and declined management training so I could train to be a projectionist there (because I loved getting free movies but hated dealing with all the stupid customers). I spent an entire 6 hour shift explaining the Star Wars plot to one of the other workers one day (and only got half way through Empire as it were). One of the reasons I decided to take my current job was the possibility to design and build my own life size R2D2s.

I don't know any programming languages anymore but from the basics I learned I can usually gleen the intent of code snippets I see. Also, I never went into any high level math or science classes but things like /(bb|[^b]{2})/ amuse me to no end. XKCD still manages to perplex me on rare occasion, but typically drives me to learn something new (though predominantly useless for my own purposes).

So yeah. Add to the list my willingness to write out the history above... and I'd say I'm constantly discovering the full extent of my nerdiness. I still affirm that I'm more of a geek than a nerd, and almost as much of a dork about it all, but that's a whole nother discussion we've already covered. Wink
Zombie_Fisto
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out when I realized that, hey, I've got a series recording setup for every single star trek series on my comcast DVR. And even my extreme love of playing and watching sports cannot not save me from that. Wink

Vidzombie wrote:
/slurps up Kit's remaining mess.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know it then, but I was a nerd/geek since before I remember. My earliest memory is looking at the pictures in this catalogue for various Star Wars items.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
James P. Zomblton
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna' add to mine: When I realized I could do a Rubik's Cube in under a minute.
Icezombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Wazowski wrote:
I'm gonna' add to mine: When I realized I could do a Rubik's Cube in under a minute.

How many hours did it take to get it down to under a minute?

I think I realized I was a nerd at heart, when I saw a girl wearing this huge shiny ring, and asked her if it was Nenya, ring of Galadriel from LOTR.

Turns out it wasn't... Razz
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice', was that very embarrassing for you?
Mike Wazowski wrote:

I can in under a minute and a half, that's not so bad. (how much under a minute though?)

For me I think everything started the moment I saw a load of massive, yellow, scrolling words, that went from the bottom of the cinema screen and disappeared into the distance. I was only 7 then. Everything probably snowballed since then. Films like Star Wars always meant much more to me than anyone else I knew, and I could go on for hours if somebody said something that wasn't entirely correct. I once got detention for quoting Star Wars. I was quoting Han on Tatooine, somebody else "you're gonna die here you know" and I had to sit in for 20 minutes at break Sad
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know exactly when I found out I was a nerd.

But it was probably when I saw Star Wars then later found all the sets in my Lego Catalog and asked for them all for my birthday.

And now, I'm the only one in my middle school class who is interested in the Periodic Table of Elements. And the only one who can quote Star Wars at will. Especially Han Solo.

I don't exactly now when I found out I was a nerd, but I know I am one.
H3D1

Location: near Boston, MA Nerd Factor: Very High Annoyed: Yes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know when I found out I was a nerd, but it was pretty long ago. Maybe when I started trying to "Fix" my dad's computer's floppy drive with a screwdriver when I was two. Razz
Also, I take every class seriously, almost skipped 7th Grade Math, etc...
ZombieKenobi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz Hoo wrote:
- Nowadays, instead of watching reality shows like most people, I watch shows like Mythbusters

Haha. Someone who understands!

-I found out I was a nerd back in the day. Watching the history channel in the second grade.
-People still amazed at my random facts about American and World History.
-Going to go see Episode II, and then seeing all the other Star Wars films and again becoming obsessed.
-Collecting Lego Star Wars - I love it Wink !
-Not recieving a B in school all the way up until the first semester of my Sophomore year. Curses that final Razz !
-I actually like reading and read all the books assigned in school rather than using sparknotes.
-I'm in the band and even do jazz band outside of school!
-My friends telling me I'm a nerd Laughing .

I hereby confirm I am a geek and or nerd. I don't think even my love for sports can save me from that.
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely became a nerd when I first saw Star Wars when I was about 6 or 7, space and sci-fi was instantly awesome after that Very Happy Then we got our first computer around the same time and it was amazing to me, <3 Windows 95.
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe since I first saw Spaceballs (this parody of Mel Brooks).
Because instead of laughing and fast forgetting it again like my friends did, I wanted to see the movies it was based on. So I watched my first Star Trek and Star Wars movies. And loved them ever since.

FlickrBrickshelf
Jetrooper0256
Forum Hero for the Day

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerd thread... Reply with quote

copyright wrote:
Geek Love Poem

Oh God, I do that kind of stuff for real... Shocked
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question: Why is it bad to like sci-fi films or series or being good at the computer?
Because reading what Wikipedia writes about "Nerd", it rather seems negative to be one.

FlickrBrickshelf
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly they don't appreciate us. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, wrong with beeing a nerd.

(aside from a few social hiccups of course Razz)
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi wrote:
One question: Why is it bad to like sci-fi films or series or being good at the computer?
Because reading what Wikipedia writes about "Nerd", it rather seems negative to be one.

Yeah, I've never understood that. At my school, it seems as if I even meantion the fact I've seen Star Trek, MST3K, Forbidden Planet, Plan 9, or things like that, I'm branded as a nerd. That makes no sense. Confused
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joedward wrote:
Clearly they don't appreciate us.

But the people who edit Wikipedia are some of the biggest nerds you can get.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
Zombie_Fisto
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Fetty wrote:
Joedward wrote:
Clearly they don't appreciate us.

But the people who edit Wikipedia are some of the biggest nerds you can get.

Yeah, and most of the people that edit wikipedia are people that spend far too much time on the Computer, so ther eonly putting a bad word in for themselves. Confused Question

Vidzombie wrote:
/slurps up Kit's remaining mess.
James P. Zomblton
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joedward wrote:
(how much under a minute though?)
My best time is about 33 seconds.

Also: Iceman: about two.
Zombiegoo
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue of nerdiness has always been tough one for me. On one hand, I don't feel like a nerd; programming and fuction of nearly all kinds of machines (especially computer) is pure Gibberish for me, I don't really collect anything nor follow any sci-fi series as intensively as nerds usually do.

Then again, I like sci-fi very much, that and fantasy are pretty much my favourite genres in literature as well as in films. I'm not entirely helpless with computers - in the matter of the fact, I spend a considerably large amount of my spare time with them (although who wouldn't on these days..) - and I apparently am quite good at school. I understand some nerd humour (the Geek Love Poem was particularly awesome) as well.
And, what's most important, I'm here, typing on a LEGO Star Wars fan community forum.

So yeah, maybe I am a nerd after all.. Razz

Joedward wrote:
Films like Star Wars always meant much more to me than anyone else I knew, and I could go on for hours if somebody said something that wasn't entirely correct.

Been there, done that. And not just about SW, but numerous books, films and TV series. It just is in my nature (and in that of my younger brother, too).
I don't know if I were happy to have a friend just like me.. Razz
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's different kinds of nerds.

I'm computer science nerd that also loves sci-fi. Very Happy

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a nerd.

And if I am, then I have yet to discover it to be so.

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, you spend your free time hanging out on an internet forum and in an IRC chatroom devoted to Star Wars LEGO. Welcome to the fold. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: