FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easy on the quotes kids...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Easy on the quotes kids... Reply with quote

Enough of the quotes-in-quotes-in-quotes thing... we can read back in the thread and see who you're talking to easily enough, and good posts will make their context clear.

Example, added by Don:
Masta' Bo wrote:
MrCRskater wrote:
Masta' Bo wrote:
Master Fetty wrote:
Masta' Bo wrote:
flesh Obi-Wan padawan and Qui-Gon

We got them in the Republic Cruiser a couple of years back.

I know, but still, only one set (which was a so/so one)...?

My apologies that this is a bit off-topic, but why the hate on the Republic Cruiser set? I think it's one of their better ones to date, if for no other reason than all the great parts in red, and it had some great features. I know there were complaints that the cockpit was too small, but really, what's wrong with the set as a whole?

Not to get off-topic, but to answer:
I liked the Cruiser, nice colors, some nice features. I mean, my brother has it, and from what I have seen, it is way too fragile and oddly balanced in a way. I like it, but I'm not a huge fan, in other words.

I think the reason why LEGO made battlepacks is because they were not allowed to sell just SW figures, because of the whole Hasbro and Star Wars 1-4 sets. So, not to be a complete downer, but frankly, SW Impulse sets are extremely unlikely guys. Confused

Anyways, I, along with others, would like to see a chrome Royal Starship. [Watto] Nubian? [/Watto]
Doesn't that just want to make you gouge your brain out? It makes us want to gouge your brain out. Wink I agree with Nick - please take the extra three seconds and trim down what you're quoting, lest you incur the ire of a grumpy mod (read: all of us). -Don
bigospedros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
Enough of the quotes-in-quotes-in-quotes thing... we can read back in the thread and see who you're talking to easily enough, and good posts will make their context clear.

pressing the "quote" button will automatically generate the quotes-in quotes ... perhaps you should get together with the other mods/board owners and adjust the code of the board rather than complaining to the users Wink

back on topic ... I'm amazed that we're thinking about 2010 sets when 2009 is only 13 days old! Laughing

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigospedros wrote:
pressing the "quote" button will automatically generate the quotes-in quotes ... perhaps you should get together with the other mods/board owners and adjust the code of the board rather than complaining to the users Wink

We're pretty well learned in the functions of the board, no need to lecture us.
But you can remove quotes from previous posts that aren't necessary in your response. See above? I took dWhisper's quote out of the box. Now I'm just quoting you. Ta-daaaa!

edit: broken code
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]

Last edited by Chief on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrCRskater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigospedros wrote:

I think what bigospedros may be hinting at is that as the mods are patrolling the forums for minor, harmless infractions, they could stand to be less sarcastic and slanderous in their "critiques", and frankly, I quite agree! Chief's post a case in point. . .
bigospedros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCRskater wrote:

I think what bigospedros may be hinting at is that as the mods are patrolling the forums for minor, harmless infractions, they could stand to be less sarcastic and slanderous in their "critiques", and frankly, I quite agree! Chief's post a case in point. . .

You are quite correct in the understanding of my post, thanks.

Once again, the mods decide to take some feedback on their actions on this board the wrong way! *sigh*

Chief wrote:
But you can remove quotes from previous posts that aren't necessary in your response. See above? I took dWhisper's quote out of the box. Now I'm just quoting you. Ta-daaaa!

Please don't be so patronising. I am well aware of how to adjust posts to remove quotes etc. Some users, however, are not. They will press quote, add their reply and press submit.

For a mod to wade in with those remarks seemed pointless to me. That is all.

Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, DWhisper is doing his job to patrol the forum and keep it flowing smoothly. He expressed a concern about the abuse of the quoting system, and he gets criticized for it. ....And people always say they *want* to be mods?

Secondly, you can be patronizing and respond badly to criticism, but we can't? Wink Guess we all have stuff to work on.

How about a compromise? Let's find out if there's a way in PHPBB to limit the number of quote that can be quoted (my guess, there's not) and/or members exercise a little more thought before they hit that Submit button. I don't think that's asking too much, but apparently it is.

MrCRskater wrote:
{The staff} could stand to be less sarcastic and slanderous in their "critiques", and frankly, I quite agree! Chief's post a case in point. . .

Can't say I disagree with that. Again, we all have stuff we need to work on.
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
bigospedros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You learn something new every day

Wink

BTW ... I'm all for educating the users to take out quotes from their replies, but the fact remains that some will not want to / can't be bothered / forget. I was just pointing out that they shouldn't be pilloried for doing so Smile

Still, if that mod above works, then there'll be no issue and we'll all be better off.

Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's for 3.0, so we can use it on the new forum, but not here.

Everyone happy? Smile
bigospedros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, thanks for taking things on board ... very refreshing Smile

Zombsta' Bo
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking about deleting some stuff in the quote, but I didn't. That was really my bad, I'm not all that upset about getting MOD'd at. Wink
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now that the group hug is over, I'm going to split off this tangent so everyone can get back to the speculation at hand. Give me a minute... edit: OK, split.

Now, regarding this thread, here's what I saw: Nick was doing his job as a mod by telling a member how to improve his posts while addressing the forum as a whole. It wasn't rude, heavy handed, or unjustified. Next, Pete (who wasn't even part of the discussion at this point) responded to Nick's guidance with a condescending & sarcastic jab. Ry replies with more help, albeit sarcastic, though obviously in response to Pete... and yet the staff is the bad guys once again. Go team!

For future reference, keep it to yourself Pete. Just because you don't agree with what's being said, or don't think it will matter, it's none of your concern. The staff is here to make the forum run smoother, and this includes telling members how to make better posts. You've already shown us you don't like how the staff handles things. That's fine. You don't have to like us. But tossing in posts like that is borderline trolling in my opinion.

*edit for speeling fail.

Last edited by ZombieSolo on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, must be that time of the year again, because this happens every once in a while...though no one ever gets all pissy that the staff are trying to do something about it....must be something new this time around.....

I also want to point out, that in the few years that I have been here, I have never had any real problems with the staff. They are good people, sarcastic, cranky, good people. They do their job well enough, and shouldn't be criticized every time they do something. The way I see it, you have one of two choices, deal with how the staff works, or leave.

Last edited by TurkGuy19 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy on the quotes kids... Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:

Example, added by Don:
Masta' Bo wrote:
MrCRskater wrote:
Masta' Bo wrote:
Master Fetty wrote:
Masta' Bo wrote:
flesh Obi-Wan padawan and Qui-Gon

We got them in the Republic Cruiser a couple of years back.

I know, but still, only one set (which was a so/so one)...?

My apologies that this is a bit off-topic, but why the hate on the Republic Cruiser set? I think it's one of their better ones to date, if for no other reason than all the great parts in red, and it had some great features. I know there were complaints that the cockpit was too small, but really, what's wrong with the set as a whole?

Not to get off-topic, but to answer:
I liked the Cruiser, nice colors, some nice features. I mean, my brother has it, and from what I have seen, it is way too fragile and oddly balanced in a way. I like it, but I'm not a huge fan, in other words.

I think the reason why LEGO made battlepacks is because they were not allowed to sell just SW figures, because of the whole Hasbro and Star Wars 1-4 sets. So, not to be a complete downer, but frankly, SW Impulse sets are extremely unlikely guys. Confused

Anyways, I, along with others, would like to see a chrome Royal Starship. [Watto] Nubian? [/Watto]
Doesn't that just want to make you gouge your brain out? It makes us want to gouge your brain out. Wink I agree with Nick - please take the extra three seconds and trim down what you're quoting, lest you incur the ire of a grumpy mod (read: all of us). -Don

QFT. Wink
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how I hate you... Laughing
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
The staff is here to make the forum run smoother, and this includes telling members how to make batter posts.

DonSolo wrote:

*edit for speeling fail.

And in a "how to" directive, too. For shame. Smile As someone who makes a living working with a...thing...that often breaks and is dependent upon a third party's intervention, I have much sympathy for our staff. You are all insensitive jerks that give me hurty feelings, but you're not "bad guys". Much love.

Last edited by ZombieDraykov on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there already a thread about needless quotes?

Oh well, we all know how Nick hates the necro-bump, but this is definitely a good thing for the people who are new to the sight to see, and also happen to be too dense to recognize what they're doing Wink

That being said, thanks to all our mods who make our lives easier by constantly watching us, and I mean CONSTANTLY(they see what you did there), really guys, don't bash the mods or they'll have Kyle comment on every quote you ever make, and trust me you don't want that Razz
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protip: read the thread... Nick didn't start a new topic, I split this from an existing topic in the LSW section. Wink
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
Protip: read the thread... Nick didn't start a new topic, I split this from an existing topic in the LSW section. Wink

Protip: shut up Wink
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkguy19 wrote:
The way I see it, you have one of two choices, deal with how the staff works, or leave.
Alternatively: become staff and then do whatever you want to. Heaven knows that's what I've been trying to do for the past two and a half years.
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I hate being a staff member.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duly noted and appreciated.

TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protip: Most keyboards have a delete/backspace button, and if yours doesn't, I will send you $25 so you can buy one that does. Wink

Anyway, I quoted the example post, in order to add something to the discussion, and I simple deleted the nested quotes. I think that dW, Don, and the rest of the staff are just doing their jobs. So everyone, just make liberal use of the delete button when quoting nested quotes with in quotes, okay. Smile

I was kidding about the keyboard...
Please, please, Teekay, don't have started something...
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... seriously? Is it time to get the bandwagon sign out again? I go to work, come back, and see this?

Seriously, it hurts from all the laughter. I think my post history makes my initial post downright bubbly.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what you get for taking the high road. Stay in the gutter where you belong.
Zombie Austin
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
For the record, I hate being a staff member.

I don't want to say I told you so, but I told you so. Wink
Jetrooper0256
Forum Hero for the Day

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm....well....why don't you just....not read the post with the quotes and....not make topics about it...
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin wrote:
I don't want to say I told you so, but I told you so. Wink

/me cries

Jetrooper0256 wrote:
Hmm....well....why don't you just....not read the post with the quotes and....not make topics about it...

Makes it kind of hard for us to moderate the forum if we don't read the posts, don't you think? Wink
Jetrooper0256
Forum Hero for the Day

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
Makes it kind of hard for us to moderate the forum if we don't read the posts, don't you think? Wink

Touché. Wink
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's time to share the grand progression of forum moderation, also known as The One Guideline.

The Great Santini wrote:
1. Issue Warning. Bonus points for being snide. Feel free to skip this step and skip right to step 2.
2. Delete Post. (Optional)
3. Baninate

Zombie Fett
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps if you're just to darn lazy to use the quote button. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: