FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Illegal to sell used LEGO's after Feb 10th 2009?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnsocal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
Hey, the Mayans were one of many groups that projected an eventful 2012. They were just kind enough to give a specific date.

And you think I go off topic Laughing

Visit my Official LEGO Factory site: http://tinyurl.com/yrsw7l to buy or download my Mandalorian ships or Space City Modules for FREE.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the Mayans might have more to do with this than you expect...
Bertramtalespinner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has very little to do with children's safety and everything to do with money. Lots of corporate greedy illegitimate child are worried about the second hand market. When the economy is hurting people love to buy used and discounted, which means they are not buying new and corporations aren't making big money. This same fight is being fought against second hand games, music, films etc. It's a similar mindset about shifting blame that made movie producers blame cell phones for bad movie numbers. "People are leaving movies and phoning their friends to say the movie sucked and that's hurting ticket sales" I think you can see the problem with this theory.

Big corporations don't like change, the rise in the ability for people to sell their used merchandise has blindsided them, and rather than work with it, they just want it stopped.

The big companies don't want you to be allowed to buy it used, you must buy it new, for full price. Then you must put it in the trash when you are done.

And the government will side with the companies, as long as they are getting their cut. (Tax)

*yanks johnsocal for the new desktop Laughing
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies if this is a stupid question, but would the regulations being placed on toys also expand to video games? I know that disk games wouldn't be a problem, but what of the older cartridge games? Would it be illegal to resell those after Fe. 10? Becase that's my whole gaming collection right there... Confused
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard on the news that existing stock for thrift stores and such aren't being affected by this, so, I don't think it will be a problem for us.

Don't have a source because it was a local news report, but I'm sure it's somewhere out there.
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Government has looked for new ways of taxing the population since the Roman Empire. In New York, our governor recently announced all kinds of stupid new taxes.
johnsocal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more info:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-thrift9-2009jan09,0,7588285.story

Quote:

After a barrage of complaints, federal regulators shifted gears Thursday and said they would no longer require that used children's clothing, toys and other items sold at secondhand stores be tested for lead.

Thrift and consignment store operators had protested that they couldn't afford to pay for the testing, and that doing so would require them to stop selling some goods or even go out of business.

"I am praising God I am so happy," said Trish Taylor, owner of Reruns for Wee Ones, a resale store in Fairfield, Ohio. "I would have had to close down; my employees would be without jobs."

Officials with the Consumer Product Safety Commission initially said that thrift stores couldn't sell any clothes, toys or other merchandise for children younger than 12 that had not been tested for lead starting Feb. 10, as required by the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act passed by Congress last year.

Outraged thrift store owners blitzed the commission with objections, and on Tuesday the two-member panel gave preliminary approval of several measures to exempt products made from natural materials, such as cotton and wood, from the rules.

But the commission said those exemptions would not be formally adopted before the testing requirement went into effect Feb. 10, fueling continued protests.

On Thursday the agency backed away even more, issuing a statement saying that "sellers of used children's products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits . . . or new toy standards."

Visit my Official LEGO Factory site: http://tinyurl.com/yrsw7l to buy or download my Mandalorian ships or Space City Modules for FREE.

Last edited by johnsocal on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a surprise. Not one bit. BL is saved, or I should say it was never in danger.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkguy19 wrote:
Not a surprise. Not one bit. BL is saved, or I should say it was never in danger.

I'm still not a 100% sure because of this quote:

Quote:
Tuesday the two-member panel gave preliminary approval of several measures to exempt products made from natural materials, such as cotton and wood, from the rules.

TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, BL isn't in any trouble, and there will be no danger. Thats it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkguy19 wrote:
Seriously, BL isn't in any trouble, and there will be no danger. Thats it.

I hope you're right, but what particular fact are you basing that on.

TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that it is nearly impossible to stop every transaction, and the fact that more then just US sellers and buyers are on BL. Are they gonna try to force the law on the rest of the world too?

Seriously, just let this all pass by. Unless BL goes down on Feb. 10th, I don't think anything will happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkguy19 wrote:

Seriously, just let this all pass by. Unless BL goes down on Feb. 10th, I don't think anything will happen.

Obviously the government can't monitor every transaction at this time, but the problem is that this is the 'start' of something that's not good.

I agree that BL won't be shutting down any day soon.

Last edited by johnsocal on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
TurkGuy19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, stop with the government conspiracy crap. It's really getting annoying. Every post you make is about how the government is trying to stop us playing with LEGO, and it's getting annoying.

I'm done with this topic, because, quite frankly, I'm not worried, and neither are most other sane people.
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turk, walk away from this conversation. You're getting all grumpy and it's mussing up your pink hair.
johnsocal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Every post you make is about how the government is trying to stop us playing with LEGO, and it's getting annoying.

huh? Rolling Eyes

My point is that the government is going after 'any' used plastic toy (painted and non-painted) that they have IMO mistakenly labeled as being hazardous.

No one is going to stop you from playing with LEGO, but the government has 'started' new legislation to limit the sale of used toys.

Inzane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsocal wrote:

Those people that participated in that "organized" march should be EMBARRASSED that they can't pull off a simple manuever with class. Those people appear in that picture to be able to march in line about as bad as people park at my place at work. Sad
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people wonder how these guys got beat by Ewoks. Rolling Eyes
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting having to get some of the old sets by going underground. We could become an insurgent group of AFOLs.

The first plan of action- Operation: Play with LEGO.
The Department of Redundancy Department
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then we would be UAFOLs...

Wink

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
tamuhockey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries with regard to LEGO as far as reselling sets/pieces. You can take it straight from the horse's mouth so to speak -

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html

The notables include -

"The new law requires that domestic manufacturers and importers certify that children’s products made after February 10 meet all the new safety standards and the lead ban. Sellers of used children’s products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards."

and

"The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold."

My Custom Clone Wars RGS on: Brickshelf & MOCpages
knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much ado about nothing.
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this pretty easily: PVC: The Poison Plastic
I don't know if all Mega Bloks are made with PVC. (Scroll down)
CDC has not recalled Mega Bloks or Lego.
MSNBC says: Kids' lead poisoning mostly from house paint

I've slightly edited this quote:
Question: The current recall includes 1.5 million wooden toy trains and accessories sold over the past two and one-half years. What is the risk for AFOLs who may have played with these toys?

Answer: They can be very risky, or not, depending on the AFOL’s behavior. If you have a AFOL who frequently “mouths” small objects like toys, maybe chews on them or uses them for teething, the risk will be greater. If you have a AFOL who never does that, then the risk would be zero.

Please, get a Brick Separator. Don't use your teeth!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inzane wrote:

Those people that participated in that "organized" march should be EMBARRASSED that they can't pull off a simple manuever with class. Those people appear in that picture to be able to march in line about as bad as people park at my place at work. Sad

what do expect with a bunch of guys who been poisoned by lead painted toys all their lives Very Happy

TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... for children younger than 12...

Another thing, most LEGO sets (at least SW) are at least 5-12. Therefore, they are also for children twelve and older.

I think we're safe. Wink
johnsocal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info:
http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/010809kvue_resale_clarification-cb.7649024.html
Quote:

“The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in their current inventory for lead.”

However, resellers cannot sell children’s products that exceed the lead limit. According to the CPSC “unless they have testing or other information to indicate the products being sold have less than the new limit. Those resellers that do sell products in violation of the new limits could face civil and/or criminal penalties.”

Vallese said the Consumer Product Safety Commission is looking for a good faith effort on the part of the shop owners.

The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act was passed after several years of recalls for toys and children’s jewelry that contained high levels of lead.

According to the new law, “starting February 10, 2009 children’s products cannot be sold if they contain more than 600 parts per million (ppm) total lead. Certain children’s products manufactured on or after February 10, 2009 cannot be sold if they contain more than 0.1 percent of certain specific phthalates or if they fail to meet new mandatory standards for toys.”

Phthalates are chemicals found in many plastics and also many beauty products. They are known to make products more pliable.

Manufacturers and importers will have to certify that children’s products made after February 10th meet the new safety standards.

ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so let me get this straight: After Feb. 10, eBay sellers and Bricklinkers etc. are not allowed to sell Lego toys outside of bag or box?(I could be wrong so please advise)

That's pretty sporadic, in my opinion, and not too well-thought out. Confused
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reiterate...

tamuhockey wrote:
No worries with regard to LEGO as far as reselling sets/pieces. You can take it straight from the horse's mouth so to speak -

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html

The notables include -

"The new law requires that domestic manufacturers and importers certify that children’s products made after February 10 meet all the new safety standards and the lead ban. Sellers of used children’s products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards."

and

"The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold."

johnsocal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new law is not only utterly stupid but it's becoming more confusing the more I read up on it. While it's true that thrift shops and etc are exempt of the law with the current inventory that's already in their shop when Feb 10th comes. After Feb 10th it sounds like they can only buy and/or receive old/used toys and clothes to resell as long as they are made out of natural materials like cotton, wood, and etc.

Let just hope this dumb law just goes away before the end of the year.

Quote:

Tuesday the two-member panel gave preliminary approval of several measures to exempt products made from natural materials, such as cotton and wood, from the rules.

Quote:
“The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in their current inventory for lead.”

Last edited by johnsocal on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what the big deal is. It's not going to prevent any of us from buying, collecting, displaying, or playing with Lego, is it? Rolling Eyes
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: