FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you get strange looks when you buy/play/talk about LEGO?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I collected/played with LEGO (which is now around a year and a half ago), I kept it really quiet. I was well known as a Star Wars nut at my secondary school (though I did manage to loose the stereotype after a while), but my LEGO-ness was something I didn't really go around shouting. I'd talk about it with close friends, who shared a passion or were interested, but being open wouldn't have been a wise move.

I don't, however, believe people have a problem with LEGO. When I was about 15, a few of us did a media project using LEGO as a medium to show science (don't ask) and everyone was joking and talking about it. Heck, I was at a party the other week and the person had some simple blocks they said they sometimes built with. What I think people have a problem with is collecting.

Action Figures, Theatre Stubs, CDs, First Editions... It doesn't matter what the price* or size, its the height of the obsession with the collecting. It doesn't matter what it is, if your obsessed with something and COLLECT (not own or have a couple of), then people will find it wierd. As LEGO is viewed as a childs toy, BUYING it is also a strange thing. Building isn't as such.

In the UK, the LEGO climate is much less welcoming as in the US. It is the seventh most popular past-time, but is looked down on and we don't have the luxury of LEGO stores everywhere. A few down south is it. I think you will notice a definite difference between how TFOL in the two countries talk about their experiences (sam90 and Thunder-blades) posts are two good examples, although they are still young enough for LEGO playing to be acceptable anywhere).

I no longer play with LEGO. This isn't just down to the climate out of my room, but also a complete lack of time to do so and a general lack of interest.

*Although with stuff like LEGO it does pay a part - in the making of the aforementioned media project, someone joked, saying 'Fetty was saving up for a *long pause* £60 LEGO set when he was 10.' The set in question was the UCS Star Destroyer and the speaker definitely knew the price. There seems something strange about spending large amounts on something that isn't technology and even knowing it is 'wierd'.

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
SilverZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Do you get strange looks when you buy/play/talk about LE Reply with quote

CommanderJake wrote:
This is dW, deciding he's sick of these pointless posts. But this one is good after a few, so it gets to live. But SilverSurfer, I'm meaner than Don is, and I'm just going to delete your posts until you stop sucking at it. Feel free to contribute here, but stop spamming up the boards. Everyone else, continue a nice thread...

suit yourself.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I get strange looks (that I am aware of) but I am sure people think very odd things about me. I don't really care though. The most awkward part of buying Lego is walking into Toys R Us (where people who go to my school work there) and looking through the Lego section. And kids don't find me to "pleasing" looking Razz

DeviantART|Brickshelf
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get different things from different people. Some don't care one way or the other, others think it's childish that I "still play with toys," or that I have a room full of them. The best people I found say it's really cool what I do with customs and animation. One substitute teacher once said LEGO animation was a waste of time and stupid. Rolling Eyes

I did give a TRU employee a weird look one time. I was buying LEGO and she was required to ask if I needed any batteries. I looked at the box, then I looked at her, then back at the box, and said no. Stupid TRU.
Zombie_hallick
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really had any issues of this sort. The local TRU is often empty, or near to it, and then Meijer and Wal-Mart never have anything marked down it seems so I just peruse. Takes about 5 min, so I dont really run into anyone.

But who cares, I like Legos, no matter what others think.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people who ever see my room say one of two things A) nothing, just kinda act like its just any other part of my room or B) "woooooow, that is alot of Lego" But I don't get negative comments towards it. Probably because only friends see it.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
djmangunz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepatient wrote:
djmangunz wrote:

I read the part about your wife controlling the check book to my wife, because we have the same situation. We both found it quite amusing that someone else has the same issues that we do. No doubt my collection would be much larger if I ran the money.

I started collecting Lego again after I was married. It doesn't matter what people think of my purchases when I have a hot lady helping me pick out the sets. In fact, my family gives me grief about our marriage because of that. The ongoing joke is an open question as to why she married me in the first place. She is very attractive, I am not. I'm a teacher, so therefore I am not rich. And I collect Lego, which, in their eyes, makes me the king of nerds. Ah, family.

Classic.

That’s my situation too. For me it’s Beauty and the Beast. I’ve got the hot babe, all dolled up, and I just wear jeans, a t-shirt, and Vans. The fact that I’ve pretty much given up on shaving, I’ve been going with the Hell’s Angels look as of late.

One of the best experiences I’ve had buying LEGO was when I went to the LEGO Store at Ontario Mills a couple of years ago. It was after my birthday, and I took the day off of work and headed to the Store about 30 minutes from my house. I didn’t know there was a LEGO store there for a long time, so it was my first visit. I got there right when the store opened (I was ready to shop) so I was the first one in there. In the span of about ten minutes, two adult dudes walked in and two adult couples. We were all buying for ourselves and we wiped out the entire supply of railroad tracks. Every dude in there was smiling big cheesy grins. I never spoke to anyone, but we all gave each other nods- “Yes, I’m one too.”

Family is a funny thing too. Last year on my birthday my wife got me all of the Indiana Jones sets I didn’t buy yet. As I’m opening this stuff, my brother-in-law and his wife were slowly backing away at the strange sight of a 38 year old punker opening LEGO gifts. I could tell they thought it was a little weird. This year for Christmas I received a $50.00 gift card for the LEGO store from them. With gifts like that-they can think I’m the biggest weirdo ever.

I’m hoping for a LEGO blow-out for my birthday on Saturday. This Sunday, I’m gonna be at the LEGO Store bright and early, and I’m leaving the wife and kids at home. When I get back I'm building all day while I power watch Generation Kill on DVD. I love being a nerd.

We are lucky men. Very Happy
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIR3691 wrote:
I get different things from different people. Some don't care one way or the other, others think it's childish that I "still play with toys," or that I have a room full of them. The best people I found say it's really cool what I do with customs and animation. One substitute teacher once said LEGO animation was a waste of time and stupid. Rolling Eyes

I did give a TRU employee a weird look one time. I was buying LEGO and she was required to ask if I needed any batteries. I looked at the box, then I looked at her, then back at the box, and said no. Stupid TRU.

Haha, that's standard procedure though. My older brother worked there a couple of summers ago to earn some extra money before he went off to college, and hated the job. Had to ask if they wanted batteries, stale candy, and a crappy TRU credit card with "an instant 10% discount." Laughing
mmcb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an adult who has made "playing with little plastic men" (as my wife calls it) a full-time job, I get lots of different reactions. It's sometimes hard to tell if people are thrown by the fact that I "play" with Lego, or if its the fact that I make accessories to "dress them up"......or if it's both. Once people see what I can do and see what models I have on display, they are somewhat more accepting.

MMCB
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been buying (Collecting) LEGO's since the SW line commenced. I used to play LEGO when I was a kid, and hadn't bought a kit until the SW line came out when I was in my mid 20's. It took me a few years to get to the stage of buying each wave, wasn't until Episode III came out that I was well and truely addicted.

Since getting married and having a baby (2 or so years ago) I have lessened my spend, and even sold off a fey of my surplus kits. My Wife is VERY good with what I buy, we really don't have anyone "controlling" finances (the surplus bit anyway) so I can buy what I like when I like, though I do exercise a fair bit of restraint (I am an accountant so I tend to be pretty tight on what I spend by default). And since we've had our baby my Wife has discovered a hobby and now buys endless balls of wool for knitting / crochet projects. So I feel a little better about the both of us having hobbies.

As far as any strange looks, I've had a few instances when buying kits of other parents talking to me about the kits (they are buying for their kids) and they haven't realised I'm buying for me, usually I just go along with their conversations. My Wife got me the AT-TE & Gunship last year for my birthday and the cashier asked who the lucky "boy" was.

My family all know that I buy LEGO, though they never get me any for presents (I think they assume I have everything). I don't get to display much of my collection, and I wonder what my little boy will think one day when I show him box after box of kits all neatly stored in our cupboards. My Wife says that would be a great stash to pull from every birthday for him, assuming he gets into LEGO (though I think that's a given).

I do display a few minifigs on my desk at work, which paid off to some degree this past Christmas when in the office secret Santa someone got me some SW item (was a Mighty Mugg - which is actually quite cool!).

I haven't felt any sense of embarrasement, and love the SW LEGO line, and the CW line has now got me even more interested.
Drock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually never gotten a strange look that I remember. Then again, most of my sets have been gifts. I can count on at least one set from my wife, parents, and parents-in-law every birthday and Christmas.

My wife is very accepting. She says it's my hobby, so she doesn't mind our spending the money. Some guys golf or hunt or whatever. I play with LEGO. She is always looking out for deals. When she found the UCS Falcon for $400, she bought it for me, randomly.

In our living room, we have a plant ledge that used to hold pictures of family. The pictures are put away and my LEGO collection is now there. Wink

Because of my LEGO obsession and the fact that most of my video games have and "E" rating, jokingly, my wife tells me that I'm "twelve years old." So when she gets me LEGO sets that are "16+" etc., I tell her I may need adult help building them.

...And Darth's Daddy, how did you pull off buying the UCS Falcon secretly. And more importantly, how are you going to secretly build and display it?
Zombie Bizzle
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten a few strange looks...I'm 15(almost) so that is to be expected.

But I don't really care because the chance of me seeing that hot teen girl who ringed me up is not very big,if you know what I mean.
Darth's Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drock wrote:

...And Darth's Daddy, how did you pull off buying the UCS Falcon secretly. And more importantly, how are you going to secretly build and display it?

That's why it's still in the shipping box. I haven't figured out the end strategy yet.
I had it shipped to my work address and used my savings account where my personal spending money is (I been savin' baby!).
She will find out eventually. I'm trying to come up with a cover story for when I'm ready to break it out. Any suggestions?
I usually just tell her I got it on clearance or something (my wife has no idea how much the sets cost). But this would be more like a gray lie instead of a white lie due to the size of the thing.
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch what a dilemma...

I don't have much advice (me being only 13), but I think lying about it won't fix the problem...

I would tell her as soon as possible (yeah that's REALLY hard), because delaying it only makes it much worse...

But the sheer size of the 'Falcon is against you...
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth's Daddy wrote:
Drock wrote:

That's why it's still in the shipping box. I haven't figured out the end strategy yet.
I had it shipped to my work address and used my savings account where my personal spending money is (I been savin' baby!).
She will find out eventually. I'm trying to come up with a cover story for when I'm ready to break it out. Any suggestions?
I usually just tell her I got it on clearance or something (my wife has no idea how much the sets cost). But this would be more like a gray lie instead of a white lie due to the size of the thing.

"I won it in a raffle at work"? Laughing
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Honey, can we talk? I need to tell you something. I haven't been entirely true to you. I met someone online, a gorgeous piece of work, and I've been lusting after her for years. She finally came to visit me at work about a week ago, and I decided to bring her home so you could meet her."

If you set it up like that, then saying "It's a $500 LEGO set" is easily the best of the possible options. Wink
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you make it that far... Laughing
bigospedros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha ... this reminds me ... over Christmas, I told my Dad that I'd spent £188 on 1 Lego set (the Death Star, in a killer sale!) and he was shocked.

Later that evening, they were telling me about their first experience at a local auction house where they went to bid of a vase and a ring! They bought both. The costs ... £500 for the vase and £450 for the ring!! Surprised

It was at this point that I felt no shame at all about my purchase. Wink

At the end of the day, if you've got the money and it makes you happy, then who is anyone else to judge you for buying something. Whatever it is.

I am loud and proud of my lego collection. Hell, if there was a parade ... I'd join in! Wink

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
P.C.

Location: At a geographical oddity...two weeks from everywhere

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatcher, referring to your post on pg1, I took the UCS Star Destroyer into class one day and used it in a math lesson. The kids (teenagers) LOVED it!!! I actually built a rapport with kids who previously were difficult to meet with on common ground with. At the end of the day, as I was taking off the top section of the model, I lost my grip and the entire top section fell to the floor in slow motion and pieces exploded everywhere! We reflected on that story at the end of the year.

Anyway, back to the topic, I haven't met a person yet who thinks of me differently because of my Lego collecting hobby. My kids love it, and I am passionate about it so it makes a lot of people happy. The only eye-brow rasies I get is when I tell them how much I have spent on my collection. I try to avoid that question. As a father and homeowner, there are many more things that money could go to. I have to be prudent.
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends and people I've known over the years have given me loads of crap for still having Legos but it's all cool. You just gotta learn to laugh at yourself once in a while.
djmangunz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth's Daddy wrote:
Drock wrote:

Dude, you're gonna die. Shocked
Reaper

Location: Dwelling in the darkness making goofy faces at everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I can strange looks when buying Lego? Yeah, sometimes, but most of the time it's usually a neutral response. Back in high school I kept the hobby hidden, but that was mostly due to the fact that I hadn't most of the people who I went to school with. So, not to many friends on that front. I do have to say though that I was pretty nervous when I did buy lego as a teen. Which I have to say really gave me a suspicious eye from many a parent.

Now though I don't really care. I pretty much stopped caring when I got to college. It's my money and I'll spend it on what I like. I do recall one time when I bought the Hoth Rebel Base and a few other sets, that the cashier did give me this weird snotty look. I didn't care though, due in large part because I had finally found the stupid Hoth Rebel Base. To be honest I get more looks from cashiers when I buy Transformers then I do Lego.

My friends really don't care that I still play/build with legos. In my dorm room I had brought and displayed the police motorcycle and a battle droid. They do tease me every now and then though. My dad is the same as always, posing the same question "Aren't you a little old for toys". Also used to get bugged by my older sister, but I think she gave up on that argument though. Every now and then though she'll actually get me a small set for my birthday or Christmas. My mom was always supportive of my hobby. only time I ever really get into trouble with her for getting Lego is when I spend way too much at one time (which unfortunately has been the past 2 or 3 months). Although I did get a weird look from her when I had bought 8956 Stone Chopper. Although that's more to do with the fact that when we were talking I was pretending to have a side conversation with the little rock monster whenever she said something to me. Laughing

"You are fortunate, my enemy. You have paid the price but once. I never stop paying."-Cursed Ronin. MTG
zombieboy
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cashiers dont give me any odd looks, since i am 14. and my TRU knows me enough, so i can call them ahead of time, and they save me the set i want. in fact yesterday they saved 10 ne clone battlepacks for me, i ought 5 of them.
If you made them and they made you Who picked up the bill, and who made who
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heehee. I just got another jaw to drop today.
"That's for the kids. This, this is all mine."
Guess which pile was bigger.
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thats great

Brickshelf "You ponce in here expecting to be waited on hand and foot, well I'm trying to run a hotel here!"
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that when I did came out of my dark age (back in 1999), I was a little embarassed when I went into stores to buy LEGO sets.

Now that I'm older and could easily pass as a father buying for his children, I have quite the opposite behavior in fact. When people inquire about my purchases or when I meet parents in the LEGO aisle, I'm quite honest about my hobby and what I do with the sets. I go as far as giving them the QuéLUG business card (we use it in shows) so that they can see what it's all about, and quite frankly, most people I meet now are really nice about the whole thing. Some even honestly envy me because I found something that I have a passion for.

In fact, most of my colleagues at work, friends and family members are well aware that I collect LEGO sets and that I'm part of a LUG that participates in shows.

My sister-in-law included a small Battlepack set in our last Christmas exchange, and I was quite happy about it (even though I already owned five other copies of that set).

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zombieboy
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, last night i was in target and bought the republic gunship, AT-TE, and republic fighter tank, all on sale, and the cashier asked me if i was a little old to play with toys. but, that is the only weird look i got.
If you made them and they made you Who picked up the bill, and who made who
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could be rude and reply with, "No, but I make more money than you, and I can afford it."
The Department of Redundancy Department
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz Hoo wrote:
most people I meet now are really nice about the whole thing.

Haha, dude, that's because you're in Canada. Very Happy
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
Daz Hoo wrote:
most people I meet now are really nice about the whole thing.

Haha, dude, that's because you're in Canada. Very Happy

Or because when I talk to them passionatly about my LEGO hobby, they see it as just that : an hobby just like any other.

Either that or they just don't want to irritate with a big guy like me! Wink

Septemris, in a previous thread, wrote:
Before meeting David, I thought he wasn't a guy I'd wan't to mess up with, but after seeing him in real life... I'm conviced. He could easily screw my head off! Very Happy

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: