FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you get strange looks when you buy/play/talk about LEGO?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Do you get strange looks when you buy/play/talk about LEGO? Reply with quote

This is dW, deciding he's sick of these pointless posts. But this one is good after a few, so it gets to live. But SilverSurfer, I'm meaner than Don is, and I'm just going to delete your posts until you stop sucking at it. Feel free to contribute here, but stop spamming up the boards. Everyone else, continue a nice thread...

Okay
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mantra: It's my hobby. Less problems than booze and less money than racing cars.
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buh?
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares about the looks from retail assistants?
Wink

Flickr•Brickshelf
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverSurfer: So far you've made five posts, each of which is just a question launching a new thread, and you've yet to respond to anything anyone has posted - even in these survey threads. The recent few are more on topic, however it's still pretty random... I'm wondering why bother posting if you're not going to interact?
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends and family look at as a hobby, the only problems I've gotten were cashiers at Target. One time a cashier said, "I hope this isn't for you. I've got a son that collects this stuff and he's 30." I lied and said it was for my nephew, since I was 35 at the time.

I'm turning 39 on Saturday, and I don't plan on quitting adding to my collection. My wife understood enough to let me have a LEGO room for myself, and lately the fun is having the challege to put everything out for display since I have a hard time "retiring" sets.

Once in a blue moon I've had a relative ask (that knew I liked Star Wars) if i collected the LEGO versions. When they find out that I do, they tend to start getting sets too. So I've made some converts actually.

The hobby of LEGO really isn't any dumber than people who like models, model trains, collecting comic books, or collecting anything for that matter.

Andi: I see you don't care what someone at the store thinks, but I thought that I remember you posting once, a while ago, that you had to keep your LEGO addiction secret from your parents. Have you come out of the LEGO closet since then?
The Department of Redundancy Department
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andi wrote:
Wink

That's half the fun when buying Lego. Laughing
hatcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to try to hide it from people, now I just keep the fact that I collect lego away from my students (teenagers can be, well, no offense, you know Wink ).
But back when I was still ashamed to admit it was for me, I was buying a bunch of those old slave one/desert skiff combo packs for the parts. I think I was buying 10 of them, and they were going for $10 each. The cashier gave me a look and asked why I getting so many. I lied and said they made good birthday presents.

I am actually old enough to have kids who play with lego (even though my kids are still too young) so I don't get hassled at stores anymore, they just assume I'm buying for children.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I landed my wife prior to coming out of my dark ages, so I guess I'm lucky that way. If I catch hell for anything these days, it seems to be more about the sheer size of my collection rather than the mere fact that I still "play" with LEGO.

Last edited by ZombieDraykov on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
AJayIrish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 stores that I regularly go into greet me at the door now, they know me, they know what I'm after haha, but as for my family...I've had many tough arguments with my sister in law, she's been trying to guilt-trip me into handing all my lego to my nephews.....not going to happen.

AJay
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand this thread at all Confused

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Zom-9
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Master wrote:
Andi wrote:
Wink

That's half the fun when buying Lego. Laughing

I know it is fun. I'll go into Wal-Mart and stand in line to the cashier with some Lego sets in my arms with 5 people behind me and it dosen't bother me. I love the facial expressions. Razz

Brickshelf "You ponce in here expecting to be waited on hand and foot, well I'm trying to run a hotel here!"
Znieh

Location: If there is a bright center to the galaxy, I'm the farthest from it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a girl over who was staying the night, and when she walked into my room all she could do was laugh. She said the funniest thing was that they were all lined up in formation. And yes she did ask how old I was after that.
AJayIrish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Znieh wrote:
I had a girl over who was staying the night, and when she walked into my room all she could do was laugh. She said the funniest thing was that they were all lined up in formation. And yes she did ask how old I was after that.

yes I've had at least 4 girls do this....my close guy mates from church also make a habit of cringing every time they're here too.

AJay
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the teen years are the true awkward age to be buying Legos.

As a child, its obvious for youself because its a toy. And as an adult, it looks like your buying for your son or daughter.

I feel very nervous when buying Lego for myself, most oftenly in retail stores like Wal-mart or TRU. I always trying to act like I'm buying for my little brother or cousin, especially when the person working the checkout the same age as me Embarassed

But, when I'm buying sets from the Lego Store in Disney World, I just feel more comfortable than anywhere.

AJayIrish wrote:
I've had many tough arguments with my sister in law, she's been trying to guilt-trip me into handing all my lego to my nephews.....not going to happen.

Good for you dude. Make her by them herself.
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draykov wrote:
I landed my wife prior to coming out of my dark ages...

I lucked out the same way you did. My wife is stuck with me now. Thank God I didn't ever have a date question me on my LEGO habit.
The Department of Redundancy Department

Last edited by patientzombie on Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tyrant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really come across anyone who questioned it in a store. Or at least questioned it in a way that was meant to somehow make me ashamed or something. A few cashiers, usually at Toys R us, have asked if they were for me. I said they were and that seemed to end the discussion.

One cashier at Target commented that he didn't realise the new sets were out yet. That also happened to me at Wal Mart one time I was buying Marvel Legends figures about 3 years ago. She saw the figures and was suprised that set of figures was on the shelf. That was about the only time I found the chase rare figures at that store. I believe that night I met the competition that was getting there before me. Not to stereotype (they are action figures based on comic books and I have met enough people at conventions to know that some of the steroetypes don't come out of thin air), but I was quite suprised she was my age and decent looking. I probably should have tried talking her up.
ZombieKenobi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enchantedknight56 wrote:

I know what you mean. I'm a Junior in high school, and I've had a few odd reactions by cashiers at Target before. I usually don't buy sets from retail stores such as Target or TRU. I normally order sets from the lego catalogs I recieve or from this family owned lego specialty store about 10 minutes away from my house. At the lego store, the guy who runs the place must be about 50 or 55. He loves legos and his sons who are my age even work in the store with him. They understand what it's about and even had helped me when deciding on sets to purchase. However, at Target, I was twice asked who the sets I was getting were for. At first I would just say they were for my cousin's birthday or something, but now, I honestly don't care about the cashier's reaction.

Not much to talk about concerning my friends and family's reaction. My mom understands, but my older brother was a differnet story. He used to kinda poke fun at it, but now he's supportive of my hobby which is awesome. Only a few of my friends know about the legos. Most students in my school enjoy Star Wars, and even make Chewy impressions in class...it's hilarious. But, I haven't come out of the "Lego Closet" with my collection at school.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepatient wrote:

I lucked out the same way you did. My wife is stuck with me now.

Truth be told, my wife actually bought me one of the early SW sets and opened the floodgates. I try to make the argument that it's all her fault, but she doesn't buy it. My 6-year-old daughter is starting to have a rather impressive collection of her own, so I'm not sure how much longer I can convince my wife not to force me to move into a shed made of LEGO in the back yard. Smile

DestructiveDelirium wrote:
I don't understand this thread at all Confused

While Don's warning is fair and the "boycott becoz" is a little hard to get around, I don't think we're covering any new ground here. It's another "do you embrace your nerdiness or do you feel self-conscious about it" kind of thread. At least, that's my take on it.
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enchantedknight56 wrote:

As a child, its obvious for youself because its a toy. And as an adult, it looks like your buying for your son or daughter.

I feel very nervous when buying Lego for myself, most oftenly in retail stores like Wal-mart or TRU. I always trying to act like I'm buying for my little brother or cousin, especially when the person working the checkout the same age as me Embarassed

But, when I'm buying sets from the Lego Store in Disney World, I just feel more comfortable than anywhere.

I'm in total agreement. It's awkard to be such a Lego buff, or SW buff at my high school, even amongst my nerd friends. I don't mind being nerdy and don't really care what people think, but it is hard sometimes if people come over and see my room. The good news is, my room would be too messy to accomodate friends if it wasn't full of Lego, and between homework and away from home socializing, I don't have too many people see my room. Ever. Wink
Yesh the Gearhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone gets looks, of course. The most notable was a Wal-mart cashier who gave me a look when I bought the Slave 1 redo a couple years ago. that was really irritating, but aside from that, I haven't had too many issues.

A teacher tried to single me out in class by pointing out my hobby after I said a joke that made him look a little silly. He sort've meant it in good humor, and eventually backpedalled by saying his sons' sets are probably worth a lot now, haha. At my school, most people who know me know me as the "Lego guy" and don't really care. I don't get garbage for it. It's just sort've my signature thing to them.

I'm a TFOL, and my girlfriend doesn't have any problem with my hobby. She builds with me on occasion, (minifigures, an attempt at a christmas tree, and also the Droid Gunship, when I bought that). She keeps nagging me to make her a model of a panda.

As far as parents go, they are grateful I'm in a safe hobby. My mom was disappointed I didn't point any sets out in particular for Christmas and just bought one for the sake of tradition even though I hadn't asked for any. So they are both supportive of it, also.
Vidzombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddies love the lego stuff, especially when I tell them about how I sell Halo Marines on eBay and stuff. The halo stuff really gets them, so it's all cool.

Flickr

Last edited by conan on Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
Zombsta' Bo
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three of my friends know that I used to be into LEGO. However, I'm not quite sure if they know that I still collect. Frankly, as a teen, it is a bit of a odd thing to do, or at least in the eyes of another teen. The reason why I don't tell my close friends now is because sometimes info leaks, and then school can get wierd. I know one of my friends used to collect SW Lego, but I don't dare ask him now--he's "that" type of over-talkative kid.

However, one day whilst me and a friend were walking home from school he goes: "Hey, do you ever plan on selling your LEGOs? I remember that one sleepover when you showed me that. It was pretty cool." Anyhow, flabbergasted as I was with him bringing it up, I just nodded my head, and said, "Maybe." Wink
Darth yoda
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends have no clue... my family knows all about it though... I'm labeled as a "Jock" at school which tends to have a lot of peer pressure. Confused
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the Star Wars nerd that I am, I'm in the Chess Club (Yes, ahahahaha, laugh it up), and not even in there is Lego apparently not accepted. One kid mentioned him playing the Lego Star Wars and Indiana Jones games, and everyone went silent.

So, I didn't say anything. Sorry, I couldn't risk my reputation. Not that I have much of one since I'm in Chess Club.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to alienate almost all of my friends when i was a teenager, Lego was and is my thing, and I bored them to death with my incessant, "Have you seen..." gibberish. Thankfully, the teen years are over, I've made new friends, recovered some old ones and am pounding out my Lego collection at an ever increasing rate.

I also collect other items.
In particular I'm a big sucker for anything by Typemoon, particularly their Fate/Stay Night merchandise. I'm planning my custom minifig version of Saber which was just made easier with the advent of Agent Trace's hair.

[/i]
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth yoda wrote:
My friends have no clue... my family knows all about it though... I'm labeled as a "Jock" at school which tends to have a lot of peer pressure. Confused

Sorta in the same boat. I'm still the nerd, but the well-liked one who isn't a loner. Wink I don't get excluded by jocks and plastics, but I don't really want to risk the reputation as a kid who plays with bricks (though that would be a simply unfair title, I love Lego.) And I've managed to keep my parents accepting of the hobby by saying, "Well, at least I'm not into drugs like most kids at my school." That tens to quiet them for a little while.
darkrebellion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I donīt have problems cause my hobby, I am 15 years old and I am in 9th grade in school. Some of my friends know about my hobby and all of them look at it like just a hobby. Even one of them buy some occasional sets just cause he actually like lego. Some people at my school just make fun of things like that so I donīt mention it cause if I do I for sure would receive a "lego boy" stamp and commonly insults. Many teenagers are jerks and in the actual world been popular or "cool" must be achieved by offending other people Mad .
My whole family known about it of course and they accept it. They even buy me sets just cause they know I like them. My parents actually support it at the point that they leave me a room to dedicate it to my collection. My mom accept it more than my dad he sometimes mention thinks like -Lego, lego and more lego- but at the end he accept it very well Razz .
I didnīt have many looks in my whole collecting history but I remember the few I got Laughing . In one trip I was with other students of my class and I bought the 7670 there (It was a month trip ) and one of them make me a comment like "It is for you?" but beign making laugh of me. I mainly get angry more than ashemed cause some people really canīt get a life without getting in the life of others Mad .
Zombiesoup64
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJayIrish wrote:
Znieh wrote:

yes I've had at least 4 girls do this....my close guy mates from church also make a habit of cringing every time they're here too.

AJay

Hahaha, I keep my LEGO in the closet. But girls usually find them, and find it "cute". I guess I should come out of the closet...

[quote="Rook"]Can they hire someone who can at least build a ship with a windshield. Idiots.
[/quote]
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepatient wrote:

Andi: I see you don't care what someone at the store thinks, but I thought that I remember you posting once, a while ago, that you had to keep your LEGO addiction secret from your parents. Have you come out of the LEGO closet since then?

No, they know and they love it. Sure sometimes I have to keep it secret when I bought a bit too much at one time (like before christmas when I bought three Clone Wars Sets at the same day, they only know from two Wink ) or I tell them a bit cheaper price. But else there are no secrets, they even find all the built sets really cute/cool and love what I build myself.
Sometimes my mom complains that I spend too much money for things like Lego which I should save for later, but I guess every parent do this, don't they?

My brother is cool with my Lego addiction as well, most of my friends too. Only one has some awkward looks sometimes or makes some awkward noises when we phone and she asks me what I am doing right now and I say "building Lego".

And yes the looks in stores are half the fun Laughing

Flickr•Brickshelf
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: