FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6242 Soldiers' Fort

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: 6242 Soldiers' Fort Reply with quote

Let me start this off by saying that I don't remember being so happy about a new set as I was when I completed this one. For me, since I was 9, Star Wars LEGO was the premium line. But damn it's got one hell of a contender.

I loved the pirates line when I was a very small child, and was really excited when I found out TLC was releasing a new wave. And now I'm just so happy I bought this set.
So;

Parts: This is extremely close to the 10p per part ratio, which although isn't the best it's ever been, it is by no means the least. Notable piece are the rowing boat, which I love, I have done for years, I don't care if it's a big piece. Slightly disappointing though is the palm tree. I used to love the old ones, segmented so you could make many of varying size. Not here. The trunk is just one piece, which is a slight shame. A bridge was created by using tiles over the 6 long wheel arches from the Speed Racer line, and I liked that, it's clever. And the big thing of course. CANNONS ARE BACK. Which is awesome, which ever way you look at it.
8/10

Minifigures: For a 35 set you get a fantastic selection. 4 good guys and 2 pirates. (Also, a monkey and a crocodile). Each has it's own individual face, all of which are just brilliant (one of them looks like Collin). All the torsos have printing on both sides. They all have some cool accessories; telescopes, cutlasses, oars, a banana and flint stock pistols and rifles. I even got one extra of each colour of neck rough/ shoulder things. I would have liked one more fig, but the selection given is nigh on perfect, so I'll let that slip by.
10/10

Detail: Cannons, lamps, the winch, the chest, the bridge, the way it's built 'over the water', even the stickers. They all add worlds of cool detail. One of the stickers is a wanted poster for the main Pirate dude. I would have preferred printed walls, like they used to be, be again, what I got is still so fantastic it's not really needed.
8.5/10

Playability: You can't swoosh this set, but I don't know why you'd want to. Playability on this is just flat out awesome. For one thing, CANNONS ARE BACK, and again, that's never a bad thing. They fire as well, which is just so much fun. There's a prison cell, a crane and winch, the rowing boat, the Cannon, and 6 minifigures (and a monkey and a crocodile). But one thing that really stands out, this set is modular. I don't know whether it was made that way so building it was easier (it has numbered bags and everything), maybe they did. But whether you stick with one, or buy a few extra, you could make a huge pontoon, vary and randomise how it's all set out, make some new buildings, etc. I think that's a great touch.
9.5/10

Price to Parts: Touched on this, it's better value in the States than over here (big surprise) but it's still really good value, especially considering the number of figures (6 of 'em)
8/10

Availability: I don't personally know what it's like in America, but considering they were showing up a few weeks before Christmas I'd say it was great over there. I don't care if S@H limits you to 5 per order, because they didn't do that for us (but who needs five anyway Razz ). I've seen a few in shops over here. Having said that though, it's not available to all countries through S@H.
9/10

Overall Rating: I love this set. It's a fantastic homage to the sets from the first line and I just <3 everything about it.
10/10 Very Happy

I don't have pictures up yet, but I'll try to soon. I would recommend this set to absolutely everyone, because it's beautiful and wonderful and brilliant and fantastic.
Go buy it. Smile Anyone who's got it, or anyone who doesn't, feel free to add your thoughts.
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pirate Sets are still not available in Germany ;-(
Reading all these great reviews I am looking forward so much.

Why didn't you include a picture to your review, Ed?

FlickrBrickshelf
Cei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this set, and the Pirate Shipwreck (plus 5 Cannon Battles...and the pirate ship, and 10 solider impulse packs...oh dear)

I must agree with the above, it's an awesome set. Decent number of excellent minifigs and a good solid design that harks back to the old 1990s sets but updates and improves on them (for example, the big wall pieces are no longer 5 studs long with the raised stud at each end that made them annoying to build on).

Pirates is looking really great, and I hope they expand to include an Imperial warship and other exciting bits and pieces.
zombieprongs
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's about the same price in the US... maybe 1 or 2 less... Wink
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have five Pirate Impulses, two Cannon Battles, the Kraken set(for additional pirates), this Port set(I love the modularity!!!), the TRU exclusive, and the island set.

In a burst of silliness, I decided to remodel the port so the buildings are in a straight line, expand the brown boardage on the port, and attach the shipwrecked thing and add more area with about four barrels full of accessories and made it all a gift shop. I attached the island behind the shipwreck, and added a tan stairwell down to the raft in the Kraken set as a ride.

How silly is that. Laughing

I added a third cannon as well beneath the 'gift shop', and put the Crow's nest from the shipwreck to the left of the port and added a makeshift ladder with a soldier atop it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: