FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New 2009 Lego Star Wars sets Pricing in AUSTRALIA - TOO HIGH

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mik_mik

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: New 2009 Lego Star Wars sets Pricing in AUSTRALIA - TOO HIGH Reply with quote

Hey all,

I keep reading on these forums how all the Lego fans in the US get their 'Black Friday's', specials, discontinued clearances with great discounts on Lego sets etc etc and of course im envious, because here in Australia we're lucky if were to get 20% at retail stores and that's it!

But what I find frustrating now is see'ing the prices of the new Star Wars Lego 2009 sets. Im contemplating on giving up on the Star Wars franchise because of the new pricing.

I know the price of Oil went up in June (plastic is made out of Oil for those who don't know) and now it's fallen 70% from those high's.
So why are Lego sets this new year destined to be so high????

For example:

8017 - Darth Vaders Tie Fighter = $ 49.99 RRP, it has 251 pieces (x1 minifig).

7751 - Ahsoka's Fighter = $ 79.99 RRP, it has 291 pieces only!
The Hyena Droid Bomber has 232 pieces and it's only $39.99 RRP.
The X-Wing Fighter with 437 pieces (x6 minifigures) is only $69.99 RRP!

7752 - Count Dooku Solar Sailer = $99.99 RRP, it has 385 piece's only!
Im better of buying the Republican Attack Shuttle for the same price
and it has 636 pieces!!!!

What is going on Lego?
The V-19 Torrent and Republic Fighter Tank have 471 pieces and 592 pieces and they're at the same price as the COunt Dooku 385 piece Solar Sailer. Thankfully the Clone Walker and Assassin Droid packs are still at the $19.99 RRP level.

Am I the only one that see's this? As family's must be hurting by the price of the new sets coming out yet alone with the US financial meltdown / slowdown affecting the whole world

Let me know what the rest of Australian buyers think.
And who's managed to see or buy some discounted sets in 2008.
sam90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prehaps this should be moved to the bantha coffee shop?

But anyway

Well i'm not aussie, but i feel your pain (i'm kiwi, so just as bad price wise)

I was getting really annoyed with lego in 2008, the exchange rate got to 80cNZ to the US dollar and they still charged us at least double US prices! Mad

Well late 2008 the dollar dropped to 55cNZ to the dollar, so i decided to give lego leaniancy (SP?). I desided mabye they had high prices for us kiwis because it was possible the dollar would fall (which it did ).

But now, the dollar has stabilized at around 56cNZ.

BUT Now lego puts up their prices to kiwis because the exchange rate has fallen.

What the heck? Just as it was getting fair, they put up prices.

$120 for the Solar sailer?
$100 for Ahsoka's fighter+ Vulture droid?
$100 for the AAT?

This is outragious!

GRRRR!

But, as if thats not enough, lego gives the US amazing promos and thing. Gold C-3PO's, Chrome Vaders, Exclusive Brickmaster subscripions.

Evil or Very Mad

Boy am i glad i don't buy CW sets, at least i only need the Tie from next year...

However, on another note, about sales, Its the same here.

Your lucky to get 25% off!

These half price deals in the US and absolute crazy bargians... Boy i get jelous!

HOWEVER... i was really lucky this year. The Warehouse (New Zealand department store chain) had Indy sets and Speed racer sets 50% off!

That was heaven... boy, i spent up large on those Indy sets Razz

But behind this rant, i do understand.

Complaining doesn't do anything, it just gets you all worked up and angry. Sure, i get a bit angry every now and then, but, i just try to put it out of my head, and take advantage of the deals we do get.

if you are a christian put this on your sig :><>
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: 2009 Pricing Reply with quote

I thought I'd layout the prices compared to the US (which seems to be the "base" price).

7751 Ahsoka's fighter - $80AUD v $40US
7752 Dooku's Sailor - $100AUD v $??
8014 Clone battle pack - $20AUD v $10US
8015 Assassan droid battle pack - $20AUD v $10US
8016 Hyena droid bomber - $40AUD v $20US
8017 Vader's Tie - $50AUD v $30US
8018 AAT - $80AUD v $50US
8019 Republic Attack Shuttle - $100AUD v $60US

You're right the 2009 pricing is high both in Australia and the US (and no doubt everywhere). I think there seems to be a couple of very high priced sets this year with Ahsoka's fighter and Dooku sailer seemingly overpriced. And as you say the other kits really aren't too well priced when you look back on previous comparisons.

As for deals there have been a few around, as you say the 20% seems to be the norm. I did get some of the Stormtrooper battle packs at around $14, so not too bad. Some of the less popular sets went cheaply, with Myer selling the Rogue Shadow for $60 and TrU had a good deal on the Tie Crawler. KMart also had the motorized AT-AT for about $125 at some stage. I do think we did OK on the RGS and AT-TE this year, KMart had good deals on those at multiple times this year, with them selling for $125 and $105 respectively (these deals were only 20% but KMart did have a lower RRP to start with). The toy sales at June were OK but nothing super special (though the UCS Falcon wasn't too bad). But they do seem to have stopped the big discounts, I do recall getting some AT-AT's at half price a few years ago during these.

One thing that has annoyed me with the 2008 line was the 2 TrU exclusives (Twlight and HSD) which both had a sizeable mark up. That is frustrating as we have such a high postage cost from Shop@Home. Thankfully they were both on special at some time with these kits selling at RRP or below a couple of times this year. Though we never got anywhere near 20% off.

So in summary I agree, LEGO is hitting us all with some highly priced kits this year. I do think we in Australia have copped a bit heavy pricing on the Ahsoka's fighter and Dooku sailer and as it seems these might be exclusives we may yet get hit even higher !! thankfully these are kits I can live without.
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2009 Pricing Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
I thought I'd layout the prices compared to the US (which seems to be the "base" price).

7751 Ahsoka's fighter - $80AUD v $40US
7752 Dooku's Sailor - $100AUD v $??
8014 Clone battle pack - $20AUD v $10US
8015 Assassan droid battle pack - $20AUD v $10US
8016 Hyena droid bomber - $40AUD v $20US
8017 Vader's Tie - $50AUD v $30US
8018 AAT - $80AUD v $50US
8019 Republic Attack Shuttle - $100AUD v $60US

Converted prices:

7751 Ahsoka's fighter - $56US v $40US
7752 Dooku's Sailor - $70US v $??
8014 Clone battle pack - $14US v $10US
8015 Assassan droid battle pack - $14US v $10US
8016 Hyena droid bomber - $28US v $20US
8017 Vader's Tie - $35 v $30US
8018 AAT - $56US v $50US
8019 Republic Attack Shuttle - $70US v $60US

But then you have to keep in mind that Australia has the GST (10% tax) in the price of the product.

The US has a sales tax that varies (in California it ranges from 7.5-8.5%) and is not included in that price. So, with that in mind, it looks like the difference throughout the line (except for Ahsoka's fighter) is about $3 USD constantly.

More expensive, yes. That much more expensive? No.

The value of the AUD is falling. In August it was pretty much on-par with the USD (1.01 AUD - 1 USD) but it is currently at 1.43 AUD - 1 USD.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/AUD/USD/graph120.html

It was reasonably close to the USD over most of 2008, and in 2007 it was at 1.27...

So, if anything, I think this is related more to the weak Australian Dollar than the Lego Group shafting anyone.

EDIT: Although I will agree some stuff is overpriced. Ahsoka's fighter? Geez. I would pay $20 for that, like the Episode 3 starfighter. The Attack shuttle also looks about $10 overpriced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Max Rebo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the same story in the UK with sets appearing to be overpriced. However it has been possible last year to pick most Star Wars/Clone Wars items up via sales and special offers. Typical values tend between a half and a two thirds of RRP.

Given the current economic difficulties facing UK retailers it would appear that many major players have resorted to slashing their profit margins in order to improve cash flow. The projection is that 2009 will be even more difficult and it has been suggested that consumers may become 'addicted' to cut price offers. If last year is anything to go by I for one will not consider buying any set at current RRP since the initial prices are way beyond what I personally would value the products to be worth.

Are there similar signs in Australia or NZ that the retail trade is facing the same problems? No doubt the all important price points set by Lego worldwide reflect the different markets, the retailers and their customers willingness to pay.

I am curious as to the typical mark up on sets between major retailers and their customers. Is it 300 - 500% or more?

Lego appears to be remarkably successful in terms of marketing and must pour a fair amount of expenditure into that side of the business. I cannot imagine that the actual production costs are that great and are dwarfed by other factors including salaries, packaging and shipping costs. I remain sceptical about the excuses offered for price hikes on account of basic manufacturing costs of pressing plastic bricks.

Price points for particular markets are carefully set to reflect the best return per unit. They get what they can at the highest price enough people are prepared to pay.. As the Australian or NZ retail market starts to struggle you may find similar discounts appearing as they have in the UK.
bigospedros

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh goody ... *ANOTHER* "the price of Lego in country x is too high" thread ... Rolling Eyes

It is pointless to simply compare prices based on exchange rates and or piece counts. If you want to know why I would suggest you do a search on this and other forums and you'll find MANY threads which have discussed this.

But, at the end of the day, if you think Lego is too expensive, then don't buy it. No-one is forcing you to buy it.

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Bigospedros here. We've had posts like this in the past when the first wave of Clone Wars sets were released, and they caused nothing but arguments between those in Europe and those in the US.

In my opinion, I'd avoid purchasing the new sets right when they are released, and save up to purchase at a later date. Right now, they may be hard to find in stores to avoid paying shipping. I usually wait a month or two before trying to buy anything new.

I'm not going to start a large complaint, but the US prices are a bit off from there usual agenda. For 07 and 08, TLG has released its first wave of sets at particular prices (BPs $10, 2x $20 sets, 1x $40, and 1x $50). This year, TLG decided to bump those last to sets up $10 more. I know buying them both is only $20 more altogether, but it doesn't make it any easier for me.

Again, just my 2 cents...
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many of these threads around, for an assorted countries. Regardless, they don't add anything, they're just little fine young lady fests. And I'm pretty sure there was an all-purpose thread for them.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: