FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One of the only huge mistakes the Lego Company has ever made
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your feedback about this.

I guess I was wrong about my innocently proposed conjecture, and now I have to agree that this is certainly not the biggest mistake Lego has ever made, but still something that sorta irritates me.

No, I have to agree with the general consensus (redundant I know) that Lego using the horrifyingly unrealistic manga CW heads for recent figures is their biggest mistake. (Switching to flesh color is a close second.) Smile
ZombieKenobi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok dude. Everyone has their opinions about things...that's why they're called opinions Wink . As for me, I also liked the old chrome lightsaber hilts very much, and wasn't overjoyed with lego switching to the normal gray hilts. However, the new hilts look awesome, just not as awesome as the old chrome ones. As for the new Clone Wars heads, they don't really bother me even though Anakin's head is completely fugly.
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Ben Kenobi wrote:
It's ok dude. Everyone has their opinions about things...that's why they're called opinions Wink . As for me, I also liked the old chrome lightsaber hilts very much, and wasn't overjoyed with lego switching to the normal gray hilts. However, the new hilts look awesome, just not as awesome as the old chrome ones. As for the new Clone Wars heads, they don't really bother me even though Anakin's head is completely fugly.

Well, Obi-Wan's head isn't exactly eye candy either. It's really only the human heads that I have a problem with. I actually really like the clone helmets/armor, and Asajj's details on her head.
ricefields

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my opinions on some of the discussion topics

first, switching to flesh - one of the best changes lego has made for licenced products. I was against at first since I liked the classics but have totally switched and don't like yellow heads that much anymore. Just a few minifigs left from SW to complete the switch to flesh.

As per Don Solo, the new hilts are an existing color metallic silver so please lets not call them chrome or new chrome (even though its shorter to spell/write) - check bricklink.com if you want to see all the colors lego pieces come in including other parts that already come in metallic silver.

I liked the chrome hilts but hate it when they get worn out, especially if I bought a used set or a minifig and it came with a worn out chrome hilt - they basically went to garbage if the chrome was completely gone. Last year, there was a selling craze of blades and hilts so I stocked up on chrome hilts. Chrome hilts will always be available for those who don't mind buying some off bricklink or ebay at reasonable prices. But I will definitely welcome the metallic silver hilt over the bley hilt anyday.

If you want a variety of hilts, check out ebay where christo occassionally sells his custom bley hilts...sorry no links, you have to do your research.
Kaiba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lightsaber hilts are bad. But I think the main thing is lego cartoon-ing everything. Its making all the sets unapealing and set at a younger age. I mean look at Yoda! he is a prime example. Confused
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's not "LEGO cartooning everything". The anime/cartoon style is because everything related to Clone Wars merchandise, not just LEGO, has that slant. It can be argued that the actual minifig art could've been done differently to accomodate that style, sure, but simply blaming LEGO for the overall look and feel of CW-themed items is a little off the mark.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Kaiba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not blaming lego I am blaming lucasarts Razz are well I just hope for at least 2 non clone-wars movie related sets in 09.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SW Fan Goosi wrote:
Honestly, I had no big problem with the gray hilts. I liked the old silver ones, but after Asajj's sabers came out, I used them in a non-Star Wars MOC. I'll have to switch to the new chrome now.

End creepy minifig faces!
Zombie147
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiba wrote:
The lightsaber hilts are bad. But I think the main thing is lego cartoon-ing everything. Its making all the sets unapealing and set at a younger age. I mean look at Yoda! he is a prime example. Confused

People are really taking this way too seriously. Think about what was probably happening at the LEGO board meeting when they decided to change the lightsaber hilt to grey. They were probable thinking, "Well, we've used chrome for so long, if we switch to grey we can use the hilt for other purposes, and it'll also be cheaper." They switched, waited for a reaction, and when the fans preferred chrome, they decided to change the hilt once again, this time a little more cost effective but also less boring than the grey hilts. Now not only do we have three seperate lightsaber handles, but the grey piece that can be used in sets and MOCs. Win-Win scenario if you ask me.
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I can't see why everyone thinks LEGO was somehow incapable of producing chrome lightsaber hilts for lightsabers AND gray lightsaber hilts for other uses at the same time. It's not like it would've been the first time they've made a piece in more than one color. Razz

They switched from old chrome to gray during their "Let's Get Profitable!" phase 'cause old chrome was too expensive, and now they're switching from gray to metallic 'cause metallic just looks better.
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiba wrote:
I am not blaming lego I am blaming lucasarts Razz are well I just hope for at least 2 non clone-wars movie related sets in 09.

Well, it's safe to say that this is guaranteed. There will be one set released based on fan choice in Feb '09, either the Arrest of Palpatine or a Mon Calamari Cruiser set (I actually hope for Palpy's arrest, even though an Ackbar would kick butt!). I heard from a couple of people that it's leaning towards Palpy, but officially it's still unannounced and too close to call.

Plus, I'm sure we'll get at least one other non-CW set.
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KungFused wrote:
Frankly I can't see why everyone thinks LEGO was somehow incapable of producing chrome lightsaber hilts for lightsabers AND gray lightsaber hilts for other uses at the same time. It's not like it would've been the first time they've made a piece in more than one color. Razz

They switched from old chrome to gray during their "Let's Get Profitable!" phase 'cause old chrome was too expensive, and now they're switching from gray to metallic 'cause metallic just looks better.

This is completely true. In fact, there was a period where they used both the bley hilts for sets and chrome hilts for lightsabers and kept the bley hilts segregated from lightsabers--such as the original AT-ST and AT-AT. My question about the supposed financial strain it puts on Lego is if it really affects them soooooo much that they couldn't have just continued with this. Question
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KungFused wrote:

To the contary, Lego did not utilize both the chrome and bley varieties for a period of time where the actual lightsabers in Obi-Wan's JSF and Grevious' were all of the bley variety. People are probably referring to these sets rather than when both were made. I'm perfectly cool with the metallic, as long as the lightsabers aren't bley. I'm OK with a bley lightsaber part, just not for the actual sabers that Jedai to carry around and kill people with.
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junsier wrote:
KungFused wrote:

To the contary, Lego did not utilize both the chrome and bley varieties for a period of time where the actual lightsabers in Obi-Wan's JSF and Grevious' were all of the bley variety. People are probably referring to these sets rather than when both were made. I'm perfectly cool with the metallic, as long as the lightsabers aren't bley. I'm OK with a bley lightsaber part, just not for the actual sabers that Jedai to carry around and kill people with.

Don't forget General Grievous Pursuit--that had 5 bley hilts!!
Kaiba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I would want the mon-calamari cruiser. if its the size of the isd then I definitely want it Razz
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would normally. But according to the contest description of the would-be set, it would be a hangar scene from the Mon Cal cruiser, with some sort of A-Wing. Not a great idea to remake that set as a main component--again.

Thus, a Palpatine's Arrest scene with 5 ultra rare (and non-cartoonish CW heads!) jedi--Mace Windu, Kit Fisto (yay!), Saesee Tinn and Agen Kolar, plus the evil Darth Sidious, would be soooooooooo schweet! And since these were all going to be anniversary sets, they were planned on being the same size (the third choice was Slave I and Cloud City landing platform--no, not Jango's Slave I...), there might be some other figs, like Senate Guards... Shocked
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: