FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One of the only huge mistakes the Lego Company has ever made
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: One of the only huge mistakes the Lego Company has ever made Reply with quote

Well, I think I speak for most Lego fans who have been purchasing Star Wars legos since they were released that I was immensely disappointed when they stopped producing their chrome hilts.

Now, I know that they are producing new chrome ones, but they just don't seem the same, and if you're like me, you're a collection perfectionist who can't stand minor differences in your models from year year. I know I'm being complainy and whiny, but are there other people who agree with me?
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I like the new ones. The "minor differences" year to year mean more options and possibilities in set design; if nothing else in this particular case means more types of 'saber handles for your Jedi, which is actually more realistic. I'm okay with that and hardly think it's a huge mistake.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Shinzon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with the poster above..

when i get my hands on the new chrome hilts.. it'll simply be classified by jedi ranks..

padawan for the greyish

knight for the new chrome

master for the old shiny chrome ..
AJayIrish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think they had reason behind why they dropped the chrome to start with.....so that the piece could become versatile....chrome pieces would hardly make the ATST walker look good (two sabre hilts were used for the "mouth" guns)

AJay
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had finacial reasons to drop the old chrome sabers (so we are told)

To me though, I don't really care. And compared to some other more drastic changes Lego has made over the years, this one isn't all that bad. (Take switching from yellow to flesh tones for example..now That was a large change that I can see people getting upset about.)

And I don't mean to sond rude, but why did you make a whole thread for this when you wrote earlier in the Solar Sailor thread pretty much the same thing as you have here? Confused

DeviantART|Brickshelf

Last edited by DestructiveZombie on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care that much either. It looks a lot more realistic, actually. Take any picture of any lightsaber hilt; most will have a darkened hue.

But I don't care about fleshy figures in licensed sets, OR of fugtoon faces, so I guess that says something.
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People complain about the changes in hilts, minifig faces and such, but I've never minded them. When LEGO makes changes I actually kind of like it. It makes me appreciate the older sets. In the rare case when I show my collection to someone you can point out, "this is the old version this is the new version." I've reached a point now where way more than half (75% maybe) isn't produced anymore. It feels good to tell people "This they don't make and this one and this one and..."

As far as the chrome, I always got an extra one with every set. I still have extras for the new figs, so I just put the old chrome with the new figs.
The Department of Redundancy Department
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't classify this relatively minor change as a "huge mistake".
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with some photo skills want to take a side by side comparison for the new vs old chrome? I've yet to grab a new set so I didn't even know we were getting shinys again.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen them in person yet either, but I imagine it's along the same lines as the new swords/helmets in the Castle line.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the colour here. It's not a comparison shot, but you can tell it's deifferent to the old chrome ones.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the new hilts look much better then the older ones. The older ones were way to flashy, and did you ever see a Jedi with a lightsaber that they could probably see their reflection in perfectly? I can't say I have.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Anakin had a chrome one in ROTS.
babyjawa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DestructiveDelirium wrote:
I think the new hilts look much better then the older ones. The older ones were way to flashy, and did you ever see a Jedi with a lightsaber that they could probably see their reflection in perfectly? I can't say I have.

All the props and their replicas were chrome like the old Lego sabers, but straight in the movie you couldn't exactly tell because you wouldn't be paying that close of attention to the lightsaber handles. It was more likely you were watching the duel.
Swoosh Zombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how you're someone "who [has] been purchasing Star Wars legos since they were released", shouldn't you have more than enough spare chrome hilts? I know I do. 'Cause they kinda sorta included an extra one in every set. Confused
mhsdrummer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gonna agree that the old ones were sweet , and as for the rank thing ...all lightsabers were shiny but they had different shapes so just diff colors doesnt cut it..at least not for me
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swoosh Factor wrote:
Seeing as how you're someone "who [has] been purchasing Star Wars legos since they were released", shouldn't you have more than enough spare chrome hilts? I know I do. 'Cause they kinda sorta included an extra one in every set. Confused

About all but two of mine have gotten worn down to the color underneath the chrome. Sad I really like the flat bley ones because that doesn't happen.
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had finacial reasons to drop the old chrome sabers (so we are told)

To me though, I don't really care. And compared to some other more drastic changes Lego has made over the years, this one isn't all that bad. (Take switching from yellow to flesh tones for example..now That was a large change that I can see people getting upset about.)

And I don't mean to sond rude, but why did you make a whole thread for this when you wrote earlier in the Solar Sailor thread pretty much the same thing as you have here? Confused

Ok, reading all the responses, I have to agree that I'm probably being weird about this. As to why I created a brand new thread, I didn't guess that very many people read all pages of every thread on this forum. Guess I was wrong. Wink But if you read that post under the Solar Sailor thread, then you'll see that I also agree about changing the skin tones.
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swoosh Factor wrote:

Also just wanted to reply to this. In all honesty, I don't think I ever got extra chrome hilts--extra pieces, to be sure, and sometimes cool ones (like an extra pair of Geonosian wings...), but I never got extra hilts. Unless of course I lost all the extra ones, which is frankly a possibility in my mess of a bedroom...

And I do like the new chrome hilts, really I do. I now just hope I get to nab enough to have for later on.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyjawa wrote:

All the props and their replicas were chrome like the old Lego sabers, but straight in the movie you couldn't exactly tell because you wouldn't be paying that close of attention to the lightsaber handles. It was more likely you were watching the duel.

I notice that they were always chrome, but what i was saying is that the chrome used on the original hilts is VERY shiney and reflective. (You could probably use it as a mirror) and the ones in the movies were still chrome, but not that reflective or shiney. They were more of a dull chrome.
Sorry if that didn't make sense.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I didn't know chrome made a comeback.. or in least semi-comeback...

I would like to know what those sabers look like, though.

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyjawa wrote:

I notice that they were always chrome, but what i was saying is that the chrome used on the original hilts is VERY shiney and reflective. (You could probably use it as a mirror) and the ones in the movies were still chrome, but not that reflective or shiney. They were more of a dull chrome.
Sorry if that didn't make sense.

I understood, but I wouldn't call the movie sabers "chrome." The hilt was simply metal, and most metal have some "shiny" property. Not that this matters, though.
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest mistake was juniorization in the mid-90s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joedward wrote:
You can see the colour here. It's not a comparison shot, but you can tell it's different to the old chrome ones.
Oh, thanks! I hadn't noticed that they were probing my mind, I had really been hoping to see them use the metallic silver color for hilts since I started seeing it elsewhere...
bigospedros

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
Anyone with some photo skills want to take a side by side comparison for the new vs old chrome? I've yet to grab a new set so I didn't even know we were getting shinys again.

you wish ... my command ...

I quite like the new ones ... they certainly better than not being chromed at all. In some respects, they look better now than they did originally.

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I don't see at all how people are calling these chrome. I'm pretty low on the list of people to complain about proper nomenclature, but chrome doesn't apply here. It's an existing color even, metallic silver. Who's perpetuating this nonsense?

Also, holy crap, did I just spell nomenclature correctly? Shocked
bigospedros

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly you are more up to date with the seemingly limitless colour names which Lego bricks are categorised in than me Wink

Although, now I come to think about it, there's nothing really about it that's chrome-like! haha

Metallic Silver sounds good. I'm gonna go with that ...

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
SW Fan Goosi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I had no big problem with the gray hilts. I liked the old silver ones, but I'll have to switch to the new chrome now.

End creepy minifig faces!
Gumby

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: One of the only huge mistakes the Lego Company has ever Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
Now, I know that they are producing new chrome ones, but they just don't seem the same, and if you're like me, you're a collection perfectionist who can't stand minor differences in your models from year year. I know I'm being complainy and whiny, but are there other people who agree with me?

Wow if you think this "minor" change is a huge mistake, then what about the col... nevermind. Razz
Dalek Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a positive note...

Anyone else like the little bubbles you sometimes get in the 1X4 bars used as the blade? I find it really cool. Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: