FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A evil yet fun way to clean your Lego's easy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaiba

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: A evil yet fun way to clean your Lego's easy Reply with quote

What you need.

. A bath tub
. Two towels *both fairly long*
. Lego
. Water
. Hair dryer *optional*

Steps..
1) Basically you fill up your bath with water *about half way*
2) Place your Lego in and then if there are still bits sticking out shower them off our put more water into the bath. Or just take bits off.
3) Be careful of paper such as sails from jabba's sail barge or stickers.
4) when there done place them on a towel right next to the bath and place them on to drain for a bit
5) *optional* Use the hair dryer on them to speed up progress
6) When there dry place them on your shelves. - simple as that!

Things not to do..
1) Don't use too much water
2) Don't put r2d2 upside down in the water and pretend its titanic Razz
3) BE CAREFULL WITH THE MINIFIG IMPERIAL STAR DESTROYER - when I lifted it out of the water the base came apart.

I did try this the other day and it worked perfectly. I had all my Lego done in 20 mins and were drying while I was out. Give it a try guys? it really gets rid of some of the dust. I understand there is this solution that when you place into the water, removes more dust but I am unsure of the name as of now. Oh and if you do try it handle big sets with great care.
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use unused paintbrush to "paint" dust off. It works so much better and removes all dust.

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little too evil for me, I'll sit it out. Confused

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a good method if your in a hurry or just get bored sick of cleaning your Lego after time and time again.
Hoover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: A evil yet fun way to clean your Lego's easy Reply with quote

Kaiba wrote:
3) BE CAREFULL WITH THE MINIFIG IMPERIAL STAR DESTROYER - when I lifted it out of the water the base came apart.

I did try this the other day and it worked perfectly.

If I'm honest, I really don't see the connection between those two sentences. I'm also trying to work out why you attempted this in the first place, especially with whole and complete sets. Even with towels there's going to be loads of water that gets stuck in a few bricks and TECHNIC bits.

Water should only be used if you've got some nasty stain that wont come off after picking it with a finger nail, and for everything else there's Iare's way.
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a connection, grammar queen, as indicated by the white space and the lack of an ordered list notation. That means it's the start of a whole new section, and he's indicating he tried this method as a whole. Beyond that, this isn't a language critique board, so yeah...

This whole thing is overkill, however. Just get a duster or some canned air. Submersing whole sets in water just invites a host of other problems, especially in an environment where a little bit of moisture means mold or other evils. And if you don't like cleaning your LEGO builds, don't display them. That's just part of having things set up, be it LEGO, TVs, or gloriously tacky fishing lures.
SW Fan Goosi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just use a tissue to wipe the dust off? It's less evil. Evil or Very Mad

End creepy minifig faces!
Kaiba

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant by "it worked perfectly" was that it removed most of the dust regardless on any breaking. I may just go use a paint brush and see were that takes me but usually I have homework or something other like that to be cracking on with.
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just use a can of compressed air to do the trick. It seems way to risky to put you lego in water. I'd be worried about printed pieces and forgetting to take out the pieces with stickers.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time where I washed lego with water. But then I found that took too long to wash then dry off. I then found that my vacuum cleaner has this small little dusting attachment. It's small enough that most parts won't get sucked in and it cleans the dust VERY well.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Kaiba

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did try using the hover but no good. A can of compressed air hmm I might just try that.
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started to wash my new sets before I even put them together.

A couple years ago I had some sets on some lower shelves, and my dog has this weird thing about pissing on plastic. Anything plastic-he's got to wizz on it, and it's only plastic. Anyways, I would take those sets apart and do the whole washing in warm water, and then cleaning them up with Q-tips for anything that was a stuborn stain. After I would dry them with my little space heater, make sure every bit of water is off of them, and put them back together. It seemed like the pieces were even slicker than when they were new. I also noticed that they resisted finger prints and dust much better. When I put together other new sets I would get finger prints on the new peices, and it drove me nuts. I would wash my hands really well before putting them together and -still finger prints. Finally one time a few months back I remembered when I cleaned the other sets. I gave it a try on washing a set before I put it together the first time. It was a miracle, no finger prints on the pieces. They have also been collecting far less dust lately too. Ones that I dust, but haven't washed, get dusty in about a day and a half again.

Is there some kind of residue left on the bricks from the mold process? Steve? Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm slowly going through all of my sets now and washing a couple every weekend. It takes a long time the way I do it, but it's worth it not having to dust so much now. I just take them totally apart and go over every piece in a plastic tub. I would be to nervous to use the meathod brought up in this thread. I've got time to take my time, I never wash a set still assembled.

Another trick I've recently learned, when dusting, turn on the TV, and it tends to attract the dust so it doesn't just spread through the room and right back on to other sets.

As far as vacuum dusting meathod goes, try it with a pair of pantyhose over the end of the vacuum hose, It works to a point, but it tends still take off some parts once in a while, but they don't go up the hose.
The Department of Redundancy Department
RoflWafls

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A evil yet fun way to clean your Lego's easy Reply with quote

Kaiba wrote:
What you need.

Mine comes apart when ever I touch it. I can even open the flaps to get the minifigures out with out breaking the whole thing Sad , at least only Vader and 1 Stormtrooper are in there...
UdaQuai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iare Tosevite wrote:
I just use unused paintbrush to "paint" dust off. It works so much better and removes all dust.

I bought this inexpensive makeup kit several years ago. (Don't remember where, but probably Walmart.) The dark brushes are really soft and the large one covers a lot of area (the bristles are almost 2" long as a size reference). The small ones get into smaller areas well. The white brush on the very left has firm bristles and is good for stubborn dirt. I just don't bring the kit out when other people are around, so I don't get any weird looks for having a makeup kit.
Zombsta' Bo
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the patient- Your way seems so cool, but way too time consuming. Does it really looks that sleek afterwards?

I like the paintbrush/makeup brush method the most. If I want a quick fit, using a tissue does well, but anything less presise (like a duster) doesn't do any good.
Greg Hyland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masta' Bo wrote:
the patient- Your way seems so cool, but way too time consuming..

I agree. The word "easy" maybe shouldn't be in your desription! I'd be worried about losing stickers.

I just keep a soft paint brush handy near my sets. I think the water way is good for cleaning loose pieces, but not entire assembled sets. I've read a bag in the dishwasher is good way to clean large amounts of loose pieces.

But at least you had fun doing this!
"You'll thank me when you share my politics!"
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masta' Bo wrote:
the patient- Your way seems so cool, but way too time consuming. Does it really looks that sleek afterwards?

I like the paintbrush/makeup brush method the most. If I want a quick fit, using a tissue does well, but anything less presise (like a duster) doesn't do any good.

Originaly I used the can air way of dusting which was effective at cleaning the dust. The only problem is its not cost effective at ten bucks a can of air. I read about the make-up brushes awhile back in a thread and that is the usual way that I dust. I think I bought the cheapest Target brand at around $7.00 for the set of brushes. I use big brushes for larger areas and the smaller ones for the nooks and crannies.

Washing the sets with really warm water does make the bricks sleeker and shinier, but I do admit that it is time consuming. The two Landspeeders took me about 2 hours each with assembly. the largest set that I've cleaned using the water meathod is the first Slave I. That took me about 7 hours with assembly. I usually do this when I'm wasting a Sunday watching football. If you do this though, your sets will shine even better than when they're new. Trust me.

Get four bricks, two older ones and two new ones. Set an older one and a newer one aside. take the other two bricks and soak them in warm water for about five minutes. Take them out one at a time. Tap out the excess water on to a paper towel. Blow out the stubborn water as hard as you can blow without spitting all over them. Dry them off with a space heater, or a hair dryer on the low setting. Compare the bricks and I'm sure you'll see a difference. Press your thumb on the unwashed bricks and then the washed bricks. I found the whole finger print thing solved with washing. I'm really anal about the dust, so time involved doesn't bother me too bad. If you do this with a small set you will find that you have to dust less often, it dusts off with the brushes easier, resist finger prints and smudges, and they shine much better (again, I think better than when they are new out of the box).

The only down fall besides time, I refuse to wash pieces with stickers, that would ruin the stickers for sure. I have to agree with Greg whole heartedly on that.

I feel the results speak for themselves though-if you try this.
Battle Zombie Alita
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
Just get a duster or some canned air.

Is this the canned air you use?
Benefits include:
1. The dust is GONE!
2. Taking sets apart is a snap.
3. Hours of fun playing "5,174 Piece Pickup" with a UCS Falcon
4. Leave LEGO art embedded in the walls for the next home owner.
Very Happy
Ambassadargh!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to fight fire with fire, I take all my collection and throw it out in the dirt in the yard, let them collect as much dust and sand as possible. It's pretty much the same principle as chicken and some birds clean themselves. And I think most will agree that this is a lot more evil than your cleaning method, Kaiba.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm.... sure I gues. Shocked
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiba, wouldn't submerging large sets that contain stickers in water cause the adhesive part to disappear even faster?
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've submerged stickered elements before, and it seems to me that the adhesive isn't terribly water-soluble. Dunk 'em, pull 'em back out, gently pat away most of the water and let 'em air-dry the rest of the way, and they're not too much the worse for wear.

YMMV, 'course.
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Patient - Do you have any pics of a side by side comparison?

As for me, a large brush and a pot of lukewarm soapy water works for everything, except PF and 9V, of course. Wink
DarkZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. I just use an old dry toothbrush.
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalek Cann wrote:
The Patient - Do you have any pics of a side by side comparison?

As for me, a large brush and a pot of lukewarm soapy water works for everything, except PF and 9V, of course. Wink

A picture wouldn't do the comparison justice. It's something that you have to experience yourself. That's why I suggested using four bricks to see for yourself.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: