FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7682 Shanghai Chase Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: 7682 Shanghai Chase Review Reply with quote

To start, here are some Flickr pictures if you don't mind clicking; there are more in my Photostream:

The characters! Or... are they?

Frontal shot(surprisingly blurry, for me, though)

Wait, is that right?

Dum de dum dum, dum de dum!

Nice ol' jalopy

This rig ain't half bad either...

Enough room to hold a piano!

Wha... No way! A real one?

Piano... Razz

And now, I'll get right to the basics:

Parts:

Some good parts in here, but nothing to be amazed about, other than the fact that they are both tan and black. Since both colors seem to be lacking in two of the three main lines I buy(Indy and SW) except for the Rogue Shadow and the Well of Souls, it's good to see more of those parts.

Not to mention the 1x4 cascade brick in tan, which you can see right behind the two headlights on the tan jalopy.

The main attraction partwise, though, is no doubt the canopy of the jalopy, which is very cleverly held up, giving the car a very realistic look.

Plus, you get an extra tiara for your own purposes, and also a white gem which is, as far as I know, quite rare, aside from the recent Batman set which features the Pengui.

Minifigs

These are the main attraction of the set, methinks. All new torsos(four, to be technical), four new heads, three new headpieces(two, to be technical), three revolvers, and a clear white gem, possibly used to represent the antidote or the poison.

The new heads have surprisingly exaggerated features(not the moustached gangster, though), but they're all new, and very detailed.

Actually, the Willie head, when put on the gangster torso with a black kepe resembles the Elsa(Disguised) from the Indy game. Surprised

Detail

As I said, I'm a huge fan of the construction. It's very authentic, although the gangster car kinda looks like a hearse. Razz

Playability

Swooshing cars from the Indiana Jones line. What could be more fun?

Pricing

VERY poor. This set is NOT worth forty dollars. It's only two cars, and small ones at that, when the Speed Racer two-car sets were twenty dollars apiece. I call that kind of fluctuation shameful, on TLC's part.

Although the increase could be due to the new heads, but still, thirty would be more appropriate, if not twenty.

Availability

Toy's 'R' Us, as we know, gets the sets out a few weeks earlier than ordinary retailers like Target and Wal-mart, so as of now they SHOULD be in a majority of TRUs, and the CAN be in Targets or Wal-marts. I saw a Power Miners set sitting on the shelf a few days ago in Target; didn't get it as I'm not after the line.

Overall

Overall, it's a high quality set for an obscenely high price.

Ratings

Parts: 8/10 - Like I said, tan and black in one set is good for me.
Minifigs: 9.5/10 - Clearly the star of the set, although I'd've preferred a Tommy gun for the gangster, at least the grinning one. I seem to remember one from the movie.
Detail: 10/10 - TLC took it home.
Playability: 9/10 - Gunfights? Car chases? Proper action and such! And I DO like the fact that the gangster car can hold a piano in the back. Razz
Price to Parts: 1/10 - The worst failure of TLC to date. 244 pieces for forty bucks? By the $.10 per piece ratio, this would come to 24.45. Rolling Eyes
Availability: 8/10 - If you have a TRU nearby you're in luck.
Overall: 45.5/60 - The cost tore it down a good deal, but if you can get it on sale or for a better deal, do it, because it's a great set you won't want to miss.

I must now, though, confess that I have no box pictures or instruction book pictures to show you, but of you want to see those, you can look up NavyTrooperFenson's Brickshelf page and look at his review which provides the front and back of the box as well as a random instruction page. Wink
SW Fan Goosi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks nice, but it's definitely too expensive. TLC should have made a Lost Crusade tank chase set.

End creepy minifig faces!
RoflWafls

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 7682 Shanghai Chase Review Reply with quote

CommandoEighty-Oh wrote:
Pricing

VERY poor. This set is NOT worth forty dollars. It's only two cars, and small ones at that, when the Speed Racer two-car sets were twenty dollars apiece. I call that kind of fluctuation shameful, on TLC's part.

Although the increase could be due to the new heads, but still, thirty would be more appropriate, if not twenty.

It's 30 bucks at Target and other places. Very Happy
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding! Maybe that's just the TRU price hike for when they get the sets early. Surprised
The Jinja Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's just the TRU price hike... in general. Most sets are usually about $10 more expensive at TRU, or at least that's what I can tell from reading these sorts of threads for three years. Razz

If you really like fish, put this in your sig: ><>
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha...

I never, though, really noticed a ten dollar hike. It was usually a dollar or so.

Battle packs, in example, would go from 9.99 to 10.99.

But this kind of hike is outrageous! Maybe of the geniuses in pricing made a typo... Rolling Eyes
RoflWafls

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoth Rebel base was 50 dollars on Lego.com, then it was 70 at Toys R Us once, and Lego.com had 2 Lego Indy sets for 10 dollars, when Toys R Us had it for 15 dollars, thats a 50% increase!

So it's not a typo.
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... When I got it at TRU it was fifty flat. If it was only 70 at a TRU once, chance are that was a typo as well.
RoflWafls

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CommandoEighty-Oh wrote:
Well... When I got it at TRU it was fifty flat. If it was only 70 at a TRU once, chance are that was a typo as well.

The price was originaly 50, then I got it when it went up to 60, then the last week it was at the stores, it went to 70.

Last edited by RoflWafls on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaiba

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just ask one thing? since when did star wars robots or *gangstas* land on earth and start hijacking cars Razz Cool review.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRU definitly hikes up the price. The new Pirate sets (the one with just one pirate or just one soldier) were $7 each. Cannon Battle (a pirate and soldier) was also $7. It makes non sense.
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoflWafls wrote:
CommandoEighty-Oh wrote:

The price was originaly 50, then I got it when it went up to 60, then the last week it was at the stores, it went to 70.

Oh, I see. I guess that's just another way TRU figured they could scalp Lego collectors in search of the set. Rolling Eyes

Kaiba wrote:
Can I just ask one thing? since when did star wars robots or *gangstas* land on earth and start hijacking cars Razz Cool review.

That idea is a victim of circumstance, as a matter of fact! Laughing

The jalopy has three people and the hearse is chasing it with two, and since the two elite droids are black, they fit right in!

Smallarf wrote:
TRU definitly hikes up the price. The new Pirate sets (the one with just one pirate or just one soldier) were $7 each. Cannon Battle (a pirate and soldier) was also $7. It makes non sense.

That's definitely screwy. Put some sets on sale but hike the price on others? Confused
RealDyl214

Location: I'm not sure but I think it's somewhere in this universe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring up a sorta-old thread, but I just want to point out that the tan car is actually NOT a Jalopy. It was actually a 1936 Boattail Speedster.

I have no clue why most people think it's a Jalopy. Confused

(Nice review by the way.)
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealDyl214 wrote:
Sorry to bring up a sorta-old thread, but I just want to point out that the tan car is actually NOT a Jalopy. It was actually a 1936 Boattail Speedster.

I have no clue why most people think it's a Jalopy. Confused

(Nice review by the way.)

Because... I have nothing better to call it? Razz
Join the Clone Army Builders Guild, and pay your fair share! I do! (when they make me)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: