FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8016 Hyena Droid Bomber

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeseetiin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: 8016 Hyena Droid Bomber Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
This is my first review! I picked this set up at my local Toys R Us a few days ago. I will try to post the pictures I took soon.

The Box: The box is the standard Clone Wars format, with the clone head in the upper right-hand corner. The image of the ship shows it dropping the bombs/missiles with the wings open in attack mode. It also shows the Rocket Battle Droids flying in space. The small image in the lower left-hand corner shows the ship in flight mode and walking mode, much like the Vulture Droid. The top of the box shows the three minifigs life size, with one standing in profile and the other two facing the camera. The back shows four features of the ship--walking mode, attack mode (wings apart), bomb-dropping ability, and the "head" that moves in the same way as the Vulture Droid. Also pictured are the Battle Packs and Vader's TIE.

The Parts: With 232 pieces, $19.99 is a very good price! There are no printed parts whatsoever, but it does come with a small sticker sheet. There are not many rare pieces, the most uncommon probably being the dark bley 1/4 dishes in the front (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=58846), and the dark bley and dark blue windshield slopes (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47753 and http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=43712).

The Build: The building of this set is pretty simple, it took me half an hour with a few breaks. It is weird because the instruction manual has you build it backwards, with the back in the foreground. The wing mechanism is very strange, but very well done. I'll post some pictures of it later, as it is very hard to describe. The bomb-dropping mechanism is also well done (much better than the FF missiles). A rubber band keeps the bombs on the technic pin, so you have to pull with some force to release them. They are broken into two sets of two, so not all four drop at one time. Also, only one head is retractable, but the other has a second head underneath the ship that is also retractable.

Minifigures: The minifigs in this set are fantastic. You get three Rocket Battle Droids! The head and body of the droids are dark orange, and the rest (legs, arms, and jetpack) are dark bley. One arm is straight so it can hold a gun, and the other is curved.

Model: This model is great if you like CIS ships. It is like 2 Vulture Droids molded together. It goes very nicely with other CIS ships, such as the Tri-Fighter and Vulture Droid. The bottom wing is longer than the top one, which is not aesthetically pleasing to me, at least. The ship is also asymmetrical in the back, which is slightly odd. Overall, though, it is an easy build that produces a great product. The playability is nice, and the design is very good.

Ratings:
Parts: 8.5/10, nothing too spectacular here. There are some nice dark blue pieces, though.
Minifigs: 9/10, some variation would be nice, but you get three Rocket Battle Droids!
Details: 8/10, not too many details, but some nice stickers.
Playability: 10/10, very swooshable, bombs are nice, walking/attack/flight modes all possible.
Price/parts: 10/10, $19.99 for 232 parts and 3 minifigs. A bargain in my mind.
Overall: 9.1/10, a great smaller set. I highly recommend it to all PT fans and CIS fans.

Enjoy, and all feedback is appreciated!
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review! Do you have any size comparison pics of it and a Vulture Droid?
Saeseetiin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll try to take a picture of them together tomorrow, and I'll post it then.
ZombieEighty-Oh
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, only 12 pieces less than the Shanghai Chase and twenty dollars less!

Good review; just needs some pictures to finish it off, but from what I hear you have that squared away. Wink
El Jefe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this set this past weekend. I was pleasantly surprised. I dig the new BD minifigs, and the design is equally poseable in walk mode or flight mode. And like the AT-ST and Grievous Fighter, you get well over 200 pieces for $20.
SW Fan Goosi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This set is a steal. I'll get it on lego.com when it comes out. When will we see this ship in the Clone Wars?

End creepy minifig faces!
Kaiba

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review. Using some very clever words in there, *including the word asymmetrical which I had to go look up in a dictionary to find out whatever the hell that was Wink* but sweet. It should be much better with pictures.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: