FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions regarding power functions and 9V trains.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalek Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Questions regarding power functions and 9V trains. Reply with quote

OK, so I'm a young kid who never got the chance to own a LEGO train set ( Sad Crying or Very sad ), but after seeing the awesome creations by SavvaTheAggie and Gambort, I decided I wants some! But I have some issues...

Should I buy old 9V stuff? It is more expensive (although LEGO still sell some), but more trains can be controlled at once and the system works better than RC. Or...

Should I buysome power functions? This is cheaper, but I will have problems running more than four trains, and hidding the damn huge boxes in tiddly trucks will be hard. So...

9V, power functions, RC, or what LEGO brings out next?
Classiczombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd highly encourage you to check out Railbricks magazine. You can download PDF's of the issues so far. The first issue has the statement from LEGO regarding the demise of 9v, and issue 2 has an article about the new Powerfunctions-based train system, due to be released sometime in 2009.

-Classicsmiley
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9v straight rail is quite expensive these days...and you would need a lot of it if you were going to make it a hobby. I should've bought up much more than I did.

Forget RC too. Don't even look at it. Wait for the new trains to come out next year and see how they are.
Dalek Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actuclly I can get hold of lots of 9V quickly. Also it is reduced online, and they were giving away a piece of cross track to everyone who went through the gates at LEGOLAND in December 2008 (getting rid of it). I got two!
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you're in the UK so I don't know how much straight track there still is but in the states it's been sold out for months and prices have reached around $30 + shipping a set...considering when I bought up some they were $4.24 a set haha.
Greg F

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the track gauge will the same, I have been buying 9v curved track on sale for less than plastic RC track. I thought about buying a second 9v power truck/brick and a second controller, but decided not to since I will most likely use the PowerFunctions next year.

I would buy only 9v track if the price is comparable or less, and wait on committing to a power system until you know what the options are, and what the PowerFunctions' capabilities will be.

G
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: