FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum (1-30-09)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Redesign, Upgrade, and Other News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Forum (1-30-09) Reply with quote

Friday, January 30, 2009:
-Changes are imminent.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009:
-The staff is currently finalizing the forum/subforum organization for 3.0 Exciting!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009:
-Forum Hero of the Day, once again, is Jetrooper, who added the handy-dandy link to Chat right up there to the right, next to the FAQ button. Woo!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009:
-I'm debating leaving the forums closed to new registrants until the move to the new FBTB and Forum3.0. When will that be? Not this month...

Tuesday, December 23rd 2008:
-Sneak peek at the new FBTBForums.net

Monday, December 22nd 2008:
-Spam is still a problem. We are planning to implement an even more strenuous VIP code system.
-I've closed registrations so no one pads the Contest polls with extra votes for themselves. Not that I don't trust you all or anything...
-thanks to the Forum Hero for the Day, Jetrooper0256, the link back to FBTB's homepage now resides at the top of *every page* forum, not just the index. Yay!

Friday, December 19th, 2008:
-You may have noticed a certain holiday air about the forum. You may direct your complaints/thanks at Austin. Fill his inbox with your grateful PMs. He really likes that.
-Also, Jeremy (copyright) is the new Moderator of the B/S/T/F forum. Please bear with us as we flesh out his role and get him set up to receive your tips about deals and more!

Monday, December 15th, 2008:
-Zero Tolerance Policy month is in effect because of recent behavior. PLEASE be nice.

Sunday, December 14, 2008:
-Staff email received complaints about problems with Gmail accounts. I think I've fixed the problem now, though I've already noticed an increase in Gmail spam accounts since making the change...
And for the record, 204 registrations in 4 days. And that's legitimate users, not counting the spam accounts.

Friday, December 12, 2008:
-In an experimental effort to encourage people to read the rules forum before registering and spark more registrations, I've made most of the forum unviewable except to those who are members. Log out and you'll see what I mean.
-Posted new COTW

Thursday December 11, 2008:
Update: Change of plans. I'm going to install the VIP mod.
Update 2: Thanks to friend and fellow LUGOLA and ChiefLUG member Remi, the mod is in place. The VIP Code can be found on the main page.
And in case you need a refresher: Well Played issue 8
Update 3: In the four hours since the VIP code was put into effect, we've had 2 spam accounts, and they were human users. I don't want to jinx it, but I think we may have finally found the winning weapon against the spambots!

Wednesday December 10, 2008:
Registrations have been reopened.
Update: It seems Security Level One has failed: spam accounts have still gotten through. Level Two will be implemented tomorrow.

The plan is to upgrade to PHPBB3 version 3 concurrently with the debut of the new FBTB.net.

The new forum has already been created, and is currently the playground of the staff. Much tinkering must still go into it, and then we'll begin filtering in some testers handpicked from the membership here.

In the upgrade, expect a new arrangement of forums, as well as the removal of current topic forums and the addition of new ones. Meaning: the forums you see here as laid out will not be identical to the forum in the upgrade.
Please note the rearrangement of a few current forums here. Hoping to put a little more emphasis on the forums about building.
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]

Last edited by Chief on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:07 pm; edited 26 times in total
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Complain enough and things happen. Ask Ed... Wink

Seriously, that's awesome news. Thanks.
AJayIrish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its great idea to have updates and news about whats up. my only concerning question, is will this redesign be a total new clean forum, or will some of it be transferable? im speaking specifically in reference to things like the reviews section. it would certainly be a shame if any of those reviews were lost.

AJay
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upgrade is a start-from-scratch reboot, but we will certainly be archiving everything here. Nothing goes in the trashcan just because we get new digs. Smile
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]
AJayIrish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good to me hehe
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of having some testers who not admins. It lets us, the ordinary members of FBTB, a chance to give our insight and opinions of the new forum before hand, making it more favorable to all.
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enchantedknight56 wrote:
I like the idea of having some testers who not admins. It lets us, the ordinary members of FBTB, a chance to give our insight and opinions of the new forum before hand, making it more favorable to all.

The same rules that apply to titles and staff positions will apply to testers: asking for it is the best way to ensure it doesn't happen. Wink Food for thought.
H3D1

Location: near Boston, MA Nerd Factor: Very High Annoyed: Yes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the template be similar? I'll probably have a hard time getting used to a new one...

Also, are recommendations for beta testers accepted?
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will those with titles still have them in the new forum, or are you just starting that over too?
Praetor Nerdivs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.

*gets dusty Latin dictionary*

Ry, I'm glad you've set things in motion. Can't wait to see how everything pans out.

><>
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H3D1 wrote:
Will the template be similar? I'll probably have a hard time getting used to a new one...

Also, are recommendations for beta testers accepted?

It's still PHPBB, so yes there will be similarities.
The current topic forums will change; as I said, we're going to drop some, add others, change others, and reorder them.
We haven't really talked about who we want for testers other than a few active vets. Maybe I can give you better news on this later.

Turkguy19 wrote:
Will those with titles still have them in the new forum, or are you just starting that over too?

I'd have to check the admin conversation again, but I think it's safe for you to assume we're starting everything over. I think we'd like to get back to the concept of earning titles.

Scitvs wrote:

Ry, I'm glad you've set things in motion. Can't wait to see how everything pans out.

TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:

Turkguy19 wrote:

I'd have to check the admin conversation again, but I think it's safe for you to assume we're starting everything over. I think we'd like to get back to the concept of earning titles.

Sigh....it took me long enough to earn my original one...now I'm never gonna get it back Crying or Very sad Razz Laughing
Praetor Nerdivs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
Scitvs wrote:

That's what I was afraid of.

><>
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
I think we'd like to get back to the concept of earning titles.

Including people who orginially earned thiers when that was in effect?

(I thought it was still in effect, however... )

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
James P. Zomblton
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I earned mine fair and square, with a minimum of bribery, so don't even think of bringing that up.
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iare Tosevite wrote:
Chief wrote:
I think we'd like to get back to the concept of earning titles.

Including people who orginially earned thiers when that was in effect?

(I thought it was still in effect, however... )

That's what I thought too Laughing

Baww if they're reset, I'll have to go back to posting in every single thread in every single forum and not have it be spam, all within the span of 1 minute to get mine again Razz
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question is probably stupid, since I don't know much about forums, but will we all be re-registering on a new forum?
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda random, but is it just me, or have the topics in the main forums been re-ordered to the way they used to be?
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joedward wrote:
Kinda random, but is it just me, or have the topics in the main forums been re-ordered to the way they used to be?

Yes, they've been re-arranged.

EDIT: I just found something really weird. I can delete this post, but none of my other posts. This has never happened before.
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joedward wrote:

I honestly can't remember, but I don't think they're the same as they used to be...
knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK-425 wrote:
EDIT: I just found something really weird. I can delete this post, but none of my other posts. This has never happened before.

You can ONLY delete your posts if they are the last post of the thread. Go back and try to delete this post and you'll find it's not possible. You can edit it but not delete it.
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the advantages/improvements of the update?

FlickrBrickshelf
liquidcross

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you use Akismet anti-spam with phpBB, Chief? I've used that on blogs and such, and it works great.

Brickshelf
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joedward wrote:

Forgot to mention this. Yes, I rearranged. I don't know how they "used" to be. I simply put them in an order that I felt emphasized the building forums.

Liquid, I just looked into Akismet on your recommendation.
As far as I can tell, it won't help our problem, which is not the comments themselves, but the new accounts signing up. The inappropriate names (and accompanying links) display on the bottom of the forum whether or not they've been activated, and in our current forum version there's no way to hide that.

Last edited by Chief on Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
liquidcross

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...then perhaps something like this?

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=645075

Brickshelf
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liquidcross wrote:
Hmm...then perhaps something like this?

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=645075

That looks promising, I'll see what I can do with it. Thanks!
One pro/con with this is that often the profile information helps us know which of the new registrations are legit. Ie "Interests: SW Lego!" If we take away that discerning element, we lose the shady info that spambots put in, but we lose the real member info too. Granted, they can add their legit info afterwards...

edit: wait, what am I looking at now? The mod I was responding to had the neat ability to delete registrations that had profile information added after telling users not to enter anything. What the frak changed?

Last edited by Chief on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about CAPCHA addins, Cneef? A lot of 'em suck, but I've seen some good ones that are like multiple-choice picture questions. Like, it asks "Which of the following is from Star Wars?" and then has five thumbnail portraits of Captain Picard, Batman, Han Solo, a Terminator, and Mal from Firefly or something.

Here's one example of what I'm talkin' aboot.
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KungFused wrote:
What about CAPCHA addins, Cneef? A lot of 'em suck, but I've seen some good ones that are like multiple-choice picture questions. Like, it asks "Which of the following is from Star Wars?" and then has five thumbnail portraits of Captain Picard, Batman, Han Solo, a Terminator, and Mal from Firefly or something.

Here's one example of what I'm talkin' aboot.

That sounds like a great idea, too. We currently have a CAPTCHA in place but it clearly isn't working (in fact, on closer look through that link you sent, I found a site where they show the strength levels of certain captcha programs and php's has a 97% failure rate. Fantastic...)
I'll look into this one as well. Sounds like it could even add some fun to the process.
liquidcross

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, CAPTCHA's probably the way to go. Sorry that mod didn't pan out, Chief; I found it in a hurry, and didn't have time to research the entire thing. Sad

Regardless, I'm in the process of building phpBB v3 forums for a podcast I'm part of, so it'll be a learning experience for all of us. Smile

Brickshelf
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditionally Ace has avoided mods, but it's time to draw the line.
We're going to go with the VIP mod for now, as it seems to be one of the most highly-regarded BB2 anti-spam mods out there. It also appears easy to install.
It will require a V.I.P. code to be input by registrants, which we will announce and have posted, and the bots will be unable to replicate.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Redesign, Upgrade, and Other News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: