FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brickarms' "terrorist" minifig vilified by press.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Brickarms' "terrorist" minifig vilified by press. Reply with quote

It appears to be happening in the UK. The Sun:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctorsinister/3081595007/

The Sun online:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2002041.ece

Sky News: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Strange-News/Lego-Like-Islamic-Terror-Militant-US-Toy-Company-Makes-Muslim-Terrorist-Bandit/Article/200812115172332?f=rss

This is utterly ridiculous. If people actually had a brain and checked out the site, they would see it has nothing to do with bin Laden or al-Qaeda at all. Rolling Eyes
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seriously think anyone will take such trashy tabloids seriously?
Darth Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you look in the comments section of The Sun, many are, unfortunately:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/mysun/comment/view.page?storyId=2002041&submissionId=577775&nav=jump&pageNo=1
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But these are the same readers that believe stories like "Bat Boy Helped Obama Win he US Election!" Wink
the enigma that is zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response to this article from this thread on the BrickArms Forums:

the enigma that is badger wrote:
Manufactured controversy and faux outrage have been a staple of The Sun (the British equivalent of The New York Post in terms of their sensationalism:actual news ratio) for years. Note that they manage to incorrectly name every BrickArms figure they discuss, conflate BrickArms with the LEGO Group, and completely miss the fact all of the elements used to construct the Bandit figure, who I might add is clearly not meant to represent any real-life individual or group, are official TLG products.

Frankly, I believe The Sun has completely missed the point that all BrickArms products are meant to compliment LEGO product. LEGO itself produces weapon accessories, and like those accessories, BrickArms products are meant to help younger builders build in a way that helps them to process their reactions to the world around them and develop effective conflict-solving strategies. Also, the primary audience for BrickArms are older builders who can differentiate between what they build and appropriate real-world actions and behaviors.

As always, the only worthwhile thing published by the Sun is on Page 3.

Like others have said, this is clearly a case of manufactured controversy. Never have these figs been marketed as anything but generic representations of archetypes of modern combat, and they clearly aren't meant to serve as exact representations of specific individuals. Moreover, it's also self-evident Will Chapman is neither condoning or seeking to promote any negative ideology with these custom figures.

The majority of responses to this article from both AFOLs and non-AFOLs have been positive. Most seem to see the Sun's coverage for what it is, appreciate BrickArms isn't espousing any political ideology, and consider Will's fine accessories and custom figs to be non-threatening and inoffensive. You are correct in that this coverage has brought a good deal of attention to BrickArms, and while a more positive article would have been preferable, many of those who were previously unaware of BrickArms and were brought to the site by this article have liked what they saw enough to make a purchase.

To everyone that's supported BrickArms in this affair, a big thanks from Will and myself!

badger
Clonecommando007
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
al Qaeda terrorist
WOW where are they getting this?? The figure is clearly listed under "BrickArms Bandit - 'Mr. White'", not with any relation to terrorism or the like(Well maybe suggestive with all the toy weapons) but this certainly doesn't have any connection to Muslim terrorists!
Quote:
a Nazi major
Where? Nazi? All I see are Iron Cross decals, which was a symbol for Germany during World War 2. Where are these guys getting their stuff???

Quote:
The latest range also includes the Nazi officer, which has SS insignias and a stormtrooper with grenade launchers.

So what do these freaks have against history???? Go to your local toy store and look in the model plane section, open them up, you'll see German insignia as well as SWASTICAS! The latter is absent in these toys. What are these people gonna do about the model planes that have ages 10+ written on the box? Eh? What is the big deal?

Quote:
Religious groups today hit out at the range. Mohammed Shaffiq, chief executive of Muslim youth organisation the Ramadhan Foundation, said: "It is glorifying terrorism - the makers should be ashamed.
GLORIFYING??? IT IS A TOY!!! And it does not say TERRORIST!!! Does that mean that Lego's agents theme is glorifying multi-million dollar corporate funded orange jumpsuit wearing criminal organizations:

???????

Quote:
"We should be coming together to unite against terrorism but how is that possible with children playing with toys like this?"
That is why children are recommended restricted access to the internet, and obviously CAN NOT purchase these NON TERRORIST CONDONING toys without their PARENT'S credit card and thus approval of the toy???

Dang you over-reative hot headed liberal synics of free merchandising. Go stick your head in the sand and come out in a few hundred years.

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild -
www.TheCABG.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's that kind of response that vindicates these idiots.

Except, not really... because they'll never read it here.
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless of course, one of them happens to like Lego and browse various internet forums? Wink
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. If the writer was a FOL they would have gotten the facts straight. It's pretty clear they don't know what they're talking about - just found some pictures and creamed their pants over some BS they could shovel at their readers.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clonecommando007 wrote:

GLORIFYING??? IT IS A TOY!!! And it does not say TERRORIST!!! Does that mean that Lego's agents theme is glorifying multi-million dollar corporate funded orange jumpsuit wearing criminal organizations:

In other news: LEGO condones Somali pirates and skewering endangered fish!

EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is ridonculous, and nothing should be done about it because these people are better left alone if they're not good enough journalists to recoginize what the heck they are talking about.

And Draykov, Laughing
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response to this article from this thread on the BrickArms Forums:

Manufactured controversy and faux outrage have been a staple of The Sun (the British equivalent of The New York Post in terms of their sensationalism:actual news ratio)...

The Post doesn't have "the page 3 girl" like the The Sun does. That was one of the things I've always missed about England, "News with a nudie girl." When I delivered papers in England The Sun was the most popular newspaper, bar none. I even used to deliver this paper to the local vicar's house. Shocked
The Department of Redundancy Department
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sun is a crap tabloid. I fully support BA (made my first order yesterday, Go Me)

This thread makes me laugh.
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also made my first order recently, this whole thing is just too funny Laughing
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also seems to have made it to Fox News.

I read it, and I couldn't believe that. Whatever, they can just have their controversy, and I'm gonna go play with my toys. Laughing
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMFG Fox news grabbed the scoop too:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,461647,00.html
Laughing Wow. I'm rather impressed that they gave Will's side of the controversy as well.

Also, Will, I'm seeing this as a positive. Maybe it'll show up on the cable news channels and you'll get some more sales out of it. Any press is good press right? Wink

I'm starting a betting pool on the time it takes before someone with the chesthair and skill throws down and really gives these alarmists a MOC to cry about. I give it a week, tops.

(edit: you just barely beat me to the punch, Jurk! Razz)

Last edited by ZombieSolo on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat you to it Razz
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG WILL IS A TERRIBLE PERSON I BET HE HAS A PUPPY CHIPPER IN HIS BACKYARD TOO

(1:50)

Last edited by KungZombie on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so awesome. And stupid. Laughing
knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... The Sun hasn't strolled down many toy aisles lately, have they? Especially the action figure aisle where one might find GI Joe and... C.O.B.R.A., which was a terrorist organization before Bin Laden ever set foot in the Afghani mountains.

On a side note... anyone know how much Brickarms' sales have jumped since this article? I'll bet inventory is flying off the shelves with this kind of pub.
gold_2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally it doesn't bother me, good guys need bad guys to battle with. However, it seems pretty clear to me that "Bandit-'Mr. White'" is supposed to be a terrorist, though not necessarily a Muslim. A few years back people seem to have forgotten the two words were not synonyms, just as Arabs and Muslims are not synonyms. I think Will should have taken that route with the press and thrown it back on them.
Pepa Quin
The Falconer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the brickarms website:

Very Happy
knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. What's that old saying about "no such thing as bad publicity?"

I wonder how much it would have cost Brickarms to buy that many column inches of ad space in that paper? And here it's handed to them for free.

Hilarious.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will said he couldn't afford this amount of publicity. I think it's great.

I thought the saying was "No publicity is bad publicity".
Same thing though really, anywho, and bit of bad luck got Will a whole load of good, lots of new customers and people who only found out about it through this article.
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smell a new jihad coming.

If Muslims are so offended by this minifig, maybe their religious run governments should be more active in stopping the fringe groups that further this stereotype. Personally, I think society should be an equal oppurtunity offender. Brickarms should have the rich, white banker minifig holding up a taxpayer.

I think I've seen this story on everynews station by now. I hope he makes a killing on this... no pun intended.
Starsmore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this on KTLA this morning (Los Angeles) on their morning news show. I :D'd.

To their credit, when they were talking about it, they were pretty clear that it was a "LEGO-like" figure, not made by lego.

Big ol' picture with BrickArm's listed clearly. Gotta love free advertising.
patientzombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote is,"Bad publicity is better than no publicity at all." -Madonna
gold_2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepatient wrote:
If Muslims are so offended by this minifig, maybe their religious run governments should be more active in stopping the fringe groups that further this stereotype.

Nice, clearly you have no understanding of the Middle East. The fringe groups you speak of exist because of the governments. Those governments restricted what so-called Islamists could do and say, and the Islamists formed anti-government groups to counter those governments.

"Terrorists" in countries run by religious governments don't wear garments obscuring their faces because there is no need for them to do so, as they are advocating the side of said governments. As I said somewhere else, not all Terrorists are Muslims, not all Muslims are terrorists; not all Arabs are Muslims and not all Muslims are Arabs. Its called homework, look into it.
knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepatient wrote:
The quote is,"Bad publicity is better than no publicity at all." -Madonna

Ummmm, no. That quote predates Madonna by several decades. Wink

Look up a guy named Brendan F. Behan.
Marty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, without getting in to this too much, and coming from the UK once myself, I seriously think "The Sun" newspaper has had a "Slow" news day and some moron needs a pay rise?
As a british comic once said "You can tell a Sun reader, as he's the one who never gets passed page 3?" Page 3 incase your wondering is the pin-up?
The comic got his reputation smeared by the Sun for that but it just shows what kind of people read that crap.
Lego, on the other hand, have distanced themselves and for good reason, the guy meant no harm in making these, but seeing a story the Sun has.
Wether it's a good thing to make war figures, it's hard to say, afterall what kid hasn't want to play with some war figure at one stage, all I can say is people need to step back and see the big picture before making judgement.
I believe the guy did not intend to offend anyone, he actually wanted to show his wears and I see nothing wrong with that. As for offending anyone, I think the only people it has offended, is peoples intelligences.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: