FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your job?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently teach at a small Catholic School:

8th Grade Algebra I
9th Grade Technology Applications
10th Grade Web Design
11th Grade Web Design
12th Grade Web Design
11th Grade Pre-calculus
12th Grade Robotics Engineering (took 1st, 2nd, Skills Champion and Excellence awards - best overall program - at our local regional competition)

I am also the Computer Lab Manager and Technology Coordinator for the school and will be heading up an after school FIRST Robotics program

And finally... I am a father to a 6 1/2 month old beast of a baby boy

==============================================================
It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not
==============================================================
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an Engineering Manager at a sheet metal fabrication shop. Companies subcontract us to build components for whatever they're building. A few examples are sales displays, harvesting and packaging equipment, and aftermarket engine modifications... we don't make or market any of that stuff ourselves - just specific pieces of each that the manufacturers can't make on their own. What I do there is make sure the customers parts can be built to match their blueprints, and also create the cutting programs for the two laser cutting tables.

My job there consists of sitting in front of a computer most of the day figuring out what a designer really wants as opposed to what the impossible, incomplete, or illegible drawings show. There's a certain amount of mind reading involved. The rest of the time I'm converting files from one format to the other so the lasers will cut it correctly and creating special blueprints for the shop workers to ignore. Its tedious, mind numbing, and extremely frustrating when the guys doing the hard work screw things up by not following my instructions. Thankfully I have free access to the internet all day to keep me sane, and everyone is incredibly lax with my ever worsening punctuality.

The second guy in the engineering office with me that I "supervise" is in charge of the other aspect of the company - air flow systems for cotton gins and nut hullers. He's worked there for less than six months and already knows more about that end of the department than I do - so all I really need to do is make sure he's not overwhelmed by the work or slacking off. I'm the only one that gets to slack off; I've been there longer.
bluemoose
Scientist at Play [VET]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a research director with a large national (UK) organisation. I get to come up with interesting research ideas & then, most of the time, other people get to do the interesting work Sad ... but I get to monitor what they do & get to tell them they are doing it wrong Wink

But, very occasionally, I do get to do some of the research work myself, which makes it more worthwhile. I *used* to be one of the people doing the work all the time, but that's promotion for you ! Smile

I'm in a team of 12 people, most of whom do a similar job to me, but in their own specific areas of expertise. A lot of what we do involves international collaboration, so we get to do a lot of foreign travel, which sounds like great fun but is often just a pain (& very tiring).

Specifically, my areas of expertise are the use of advanced simulation for flight training & advanced computer modelling of what most people would call 'bots' - autonomous entities in simulated worlds. It means I get to play with some very expensive & interesting 'computer games', and get to work with some very interesting & intelligent people Very Happy

Ian
ricefields

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah lets keep this going...

I'm a project manager at an engineering consulting firm.
Zombifox
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vetinary scince student, part time lab assistant. Not as romatic as it sounds. Job entails me spending hours alone, with large pile of agar plates to carefully streak. good times, good times. Sorry for the life story.
FettMan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it is technically a job since I don't get paid, but I film and edit schools in the area's football/basketball games for my local news.
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a part time job at local restaurant, waiting on. The pay isn't great, but I do enjoy it there.

Speaking of which - I've got work in half an hour. And am in no fit state to work...

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
Jargon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Gas Station Attendant with Costco.
Basically, my job is to assist and engage members, keep the station clean, make sure everything is working properly. Also important is keeping everything up to governmental regulation and filling out paperwork.
It's not the most glamorous thing, but I consider it an enormous blessing to have a job in this economic climate.
    - Aaron

Andrew wrote:
You're the dead cat of love
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Skafte

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach everything about skeletons to university archaeology students.
Brick Fett

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<---Still a Professional Cartoonist.

I now have two web comic sites I keep up on top of my freelance career, which pays my bills. "Lazy Bones" is my daily strip on PrologueComics.com and "LEGO Unleashed" is my just for fun web Comic Book that I do twice a week.

My freelance business has picked up a lot over the year. I design Logos and graphic art materials for local and online business. It's really a great job since I get to draw and problem solve all day long. And though it's a lot of work and takes up a lot of time there really isn't a job I'd rather do other wise.

NecronCommander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm self employed, and I run a yardwork business, doing general mowing/yardwork for people from May-October. Honestly, I hate it more than anything, but twelve bucks an hour for 15-20 hours a week isn't bad for a sixteen-year-old.
bigospedros

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for IBM as a Business Operations Analyst, leading a team of 5 people. I essentially crunch numbers in spreadsheets and other reporting tools, most of which are ruddy complicated and all my own design.

It pays the bills. Wink

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
Cei

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for the National Health Service as a Clinical Photographer; basically photographing people's wounds, injuries, diseases and general maladies for the betterment of the human race in general. I see around two hundred patients a week, and take around a thousand photographs in the same period.

Luckily, my NHS Trust is relatively lax with internet access, so I can even access FBTB and Amazon at work - and nobody can see my screen.
copyrrrrr
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell toys online.

And

Work for In-n-Out Burger (mmm, Animal Style w/ fried mustard). Razz
BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
NecronCommander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there was an In-n-Out Burger near where I live. I had a friend who worked there and said he got paid $10.00 an hour Shocked
Zombie_Fisto
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High School Soccer Referee.

Vidzombie wrote:
/slurps up Kit's remaining mess.
NinthCircle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cei wrote:
I work for the National Health Service as a Clinical Photographer; basically photographing people's wounds, injuries, diseases and general maladies for the betterment of the human race in general. I see around two hundred patients a week, and take around a thousand photographs in the same period.

That sounds like an incredible job. I'm sure it gets depressing, but that kind of stuff fascinates me.

I work as a DVD QC Technician. I test DVD and Blu-Ray menus, graphics, video, audio, etc. as computer files and on hard discs. I just started at a small post production house and it's really exciting to be part of a team. Where I used to work we just looked for flaws and wrote reports. Now I work with the authors, programmers, designers, and our high muckety-mucks to collaborate on production. Hopefully I'll move into authoring or compression next year. First though, I gotta pass my 90-day probation and duck any lay-offs.

"Hang on tightly, let go lightly."
Cei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinthCircle wrote:
Cei wrote:

That sounds like an incredible job. I'm sure it gets depressing, but that kind of stuff fascinates me.

I love it - I've always had an interest in medicine, and this lets me fill that interest as well as my photography. Further, it helps you sleep at night knowing that in some way you're helping people Wink

Plus we have a fun time at work, with a relaxed and interesting team of people. Certainly helps on the depressing side of things, as I have seen some really horrific things that you just don't want to dwell on.

Having said that, there's moments of joy as well, such as when a child who has been undergoing treatment for years comes back for their final visit and they're all "cured" (for want of a better word). Medicine really does make a difference to peoples' lives.
Kaiba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cei wrote:
Plus we have a fun time at work, with a relaxed and interesting team of people. Certainly helps on the depressing side of things, as I have seen some really horrific things that you just don't want to dwell on.

O.o I couldn't stand your job. I am far to squamish. The thought of your toe nail coming off or anything similar to that makes me cringe
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still at Arby's. It's a paycheck and works until I find something better.
ZombieKenobi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I work as a caddie at a country club in a suburban of Cleveland during the summers. It's a perfect summer job for any high school student IMO. You work outside with friends, you get free food when you make the turn (begin the back 9-holes), and awesome pay. I've worked there for three years, and I enjoy it very much. The people I work with are great, the members are nice, and the pay is awesome as I already said. The first year was filled wih a bunch of waiting around, but as I became more experienced and became friends with the guys who call the shots, I usually get to caddie most days I go except on slow days with no golfers. So, that's my summer job.
Drock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a civil/site development engineer.

Basically, I show contractors where to put dirt.

(okay, so there's a little more to it than that).
rcpeck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work during the summers as an intern in supply chain management at a major manufacturing company, work in the financial aid office at the school where I'm getting my MBA during the school year, and work year round as a part-time online poker player (allows me to save all the money from my real jobs to get a house when I graduate).
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Communications Coordinator for a professional association.

Basically, I'm in charge of selling all the publicity aimed at our members (ads in our magazine, mailings, web-based ads, etc.), and I'm also responsible for the website of the association.

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ZombieAthos
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attorney here.

Steve
SW Lego Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MateriaL Control Supervisor for a Engineering firm (Jacobs)

Essentially, I am responsible for ordering and tracking about $200 million worth of Electrical and Instrumentation Equipment and Commodities. Ahhh, have to love the Oil & Gas Industry.
Zombie Bizzle
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in 9th grade so that is my "job" so to speak. But I really want to be a fighter pilot in the Air Force so that is my "dream" job...hope it pays enough to allow me to continue to collect sw legos.
The Brain Eater
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High school freshman--I consider that my job.

However, I also peer tutor students (yes, for money, and the pay is great--$20 an hour, with 5 students I see every week, and some off and on). I love doing it, especially because it helps make sure I retain all of the stuff I learned from the last 2 years--you always use middle school math for high school math.
Zombie_hallick
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, atm Im a full time college student. But over Christmas I worked for UPS as a drivers assistant, which was actually pretty fun, except for those people who did not shovel the snow outta thier driveways. I still have bruises...
Before that I worked for an opthamologist's office, but I was downstairs in the 'garden level' scanning paper charts as they went from paper to electronic. Sounds boring, but it was sweet. We could surf online and listen to music.
I really want to have a career as a teacher educating kids in History, or Physical Ed.
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in the line of BRAINS!

/me bite master_hallick
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: