FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Explosion in values for Lego's on Ebay

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade/Finds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ufjason

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Explosion in values for Lego's on Ebay Reply with quote

Not sure if it's the season or what but even in a down economy, Lego's increase in value! If you've been looking for a hard to find set or been on the fence about picking one up that's going to retire soon, I suggest you get what you're looking for ASAP.

I've got quite an inventory built up for my eBay store this holiday season. It's a mix of action figures and other miscellaneous items but mostly Lego of all themes. I finally got around to start listing items tonight. I'm a little late but I decided to start posting 2-3 shelves worth a night (out of 50 or so total). I started with Batman and I could not believe the increase in values on these sets. I deal with MISB only and the first run sets are just incredible. The 20 and 30 dollar sets have quadrupled and tripled in values while the large sets have doubled.

I started checking other themes and everything seems to have had a huge jump in prices. I took a random sampling of 6575 arctic, 7893 passenger plane, 8527 NXT and all are impressing me value wise.

In hindsight, I'm pretty happy I decided to continue investing in Lego all this time and not in the stock market. Now, this isn't an invite for people to attack me for scalping. I've had some of these sets for 9-10 years now so they've definitely been long term investments. I've also made some bad investments like the 7666 and 4512 last year which were re released.
Inzane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great... now if only some more of my sets would move that I've had posted HERE in the buy/sell forum for weeks... hundreds of hits and no sales yet. Confused
Nebraska

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a link to your ebay store or can we not do that here?
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since posting it wasn't the intent of the thread, it's fine if he replies with it since someone asked directly, but typically we like to keep those sort of links confined to members signatures.
ufjason

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought someone might ask Don. My signature has been updated to include the link. Once some of you see my prices you'll understand why I didn't have it up in the first place. I was just pricing last night but everything will be up in the next week and a half. I've got over 300 individual sets to get up.

If anyone is interested in doing trades, disregard the prices you see and let me know what you'd want to trade. I'm only looking for a MISB Tie Bomber, Genosian Fighter and clone trooper battle packs.

Do not click on links if you would like to keep your jaw off the floor Wink.

Old house storage room:
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/jasoninatlanta/Old%20house%20storage%20room/
New house basement storage:
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/jasoninatlanta/New%20house%20basement%20storage%20room/

Last edited by ufjason on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
H3D1

Location: near Boston, MA Nerd Factor: Very High Annoyed: Yes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! Shocked That is an AMAZING selection of sets! I'm not surprised that they are increasing in value!
salty tbone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ufjason wrote:
New house basement storage:
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/jasoninatlanta/New%20house%20basement%20storage%20room/

That's not a basement, that's a warehouse. Shocked Awesome.
thief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,

I think it is awesome how you have like 6 of the same sets!!! You have a hidden army of figs under your belt!

My Coolyest Gallery Check it out and see what you like.
ufjason

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a mercenary army because it's for sale!
ZombieSeptemris
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woa! Thanks for the heads up!

I was starting to think that the Batman line was a bad investment. Just 2 months ago, the Batwing was selling under retail price (~$35). And now it's jumped to an average of ~$80 on Ebay!

I bought a dozen of these 1 ½ year ago when they went on major sale. Maybe I should have bought more, seeing the prices today, but it's always a gamble, especially with new lines like Batman. I've made some bad deals on Orient expedition and Alpha Teams sets in the past.

I thought the release of the #7888 Joker's ice cream surprise would dent the value of the Batwing because of the inclusion of the Joker minifig. But it seems like it hasn't. Well, it is a great set.

These prices combined with the actual Canadian/US dollar exchange rate will make one very happy seller. Very Happy

----------------

As a side note, I don't consider this kind of business to be scalping. It's really investing and it's sometimes a risky business. Although the risk is kinda low in MISB sets, you're never quite sure if you're making a good deal 2 years in advance.

And it's not like you're buying all the inventory of the product. Most of the time it's still available nationwide at retail or less for a whole year after the investment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The batwing goes for 60 plus shipping. I too am stuck with alpha team sets. I would, however, be interested in orient express sets if yous till have them!
ZombieSeptemris
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having bought them at a sale price of $20 can, it's still great!

I'll check out my inventory and let you know. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think alot of canadian fbtb members are kicking themselves for not buying more batman lego because they were overflowing at the Winners/Homesense throughout canada and there were many posts in the forum about the low prices.

I think the best jump in value (dollar wise) is the batcave. They were initially available at winners for $75cdn, then $40cdn. At 40cdn I finally bought one thinking this is just going to be a gift to my son or one of my nephews. After keeping it in the basement, I decided to sell my one and only set and yesterday it sold for over 5.5 times what I paid for it. I guess my son and nephews will get star wars lego sets this year! I think the Dark Knight movie, batman lego DS game, the fact they are out of production, and christmas are inflating these values.
Zombie Jones
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think that I should sell my MISB Two-Face Escape and Arkham sets. I've got a UCS Batmobile as well, but that one doesn't seem to be holding its value.
ufjason

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sold my two face escape for 90. I picked up quite a few batcaves at 75% off at target. Then they popped up at tuesday morning with arkham asylums for 29.99. They were hard to resist needless to say. I'm pretty happy with the 180 margin.

Sometimes my stuff sells so fast after I post it I wonder if I priced it right. I had three airport firetrucks listed for 24.99 from the 75% off 14.99 retail I paid and one guy bought all three. There were no precedents for pricing and I just guessed on pricing but they sold within a few hours of posting.

Surprisingly enough, spongebob sets do really well, I sold through nearly everything I had and they were easy to find at the highest clearance levels.

Last edited by ufjason on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ricefields

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's definitely something strange going on ebay that cannot be explained. The smallest set from dino attack (street sprinter vs mutant lizard) which retailed for $4 is selling at $40 us, 10 times its original price! Closest rival I can think of in the SW theme is the $5 minifig packs with darth maul, vader, and palpatine going for about $45 in misb at its peak.

If you got them in misb, start selling!
ufjason

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just simple supply and demand. The 10 dollar batman sets do the same now, both the catwoman and mr. freeze are 30-40 dollars.
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricefields wrote:
There's definitely something strange going on ebay that cannot be explained. The smallest set from dino attack (street sprinter vs mutant lizard) which retailed for $4 is selling at $40 us, 10 times its original price! Closest rival I can think of in the SW theme is the $5 minifig packs with darth maul, vader, and palpatine going for about $45 in misb at its peak.

If you got them in misb, start selling!

What's strange is they're under $10 MISB on bricklink...
ZombieSeptemris
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like the sets are saying : Hey! buy me and I'll give you 30$.

I remember getting that feeling when I bought a bunch of first version Gunships. Except that they were talking about 200$ instead. Razz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering, how much to do spend on average each month on this investment ?

If I lived in the US I would do the same regarding buying sets at huge discounts and then selling them on years later. Sadly, the biggest discounts we get in the UK are around 25% ... add to that that I neither have the cash nor the storage space to do it ... so that means I couldn't do it here.

Good luck to you. Smile

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
ufjason

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's had to put a monthly price on it as it's all depending on what kind of clearance and deals I find. For instance, right now I'm finding 7094 castles for 48.88 at all Wal Marts but so can everyone else so this is a long term investment as I'll have to wait for everyone else to sell theirs off at the low margins until the supply shrinks enough for prices to climb. The 7888 Batman Tumblers I'm finding are a short term gain as they've disappeared from retail with the exception of Toys R Us where they seem to be plentiful yet cost me full retail.

If I were to average it out over a year, I've spent $150 a month I'd think. I've been at the Lego store here and they had a 50% off scratch and dent sale on sets and spent 400 dollars! Some months are slow and I don't pick up anything. I always buy big at major clearances, so after Christmas I'll be prowling the aisles and I've got an eye for out of place sets. Sometimes I'll find sets that ring up for 0.00 at target because they're so old. I rarely pay retail for a set, only if it's worth my time as I seek at least a 100% return on my money.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade/Finds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: