FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gate Techniques?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJayIrish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Gate Techniques? Reply with quote

hey, i've always had trouble constructing swinging gates that close properly, with no gap. hinge pieces and click-hinges work well, but as yet i am unable to build anything that opens smoothely, because of block-on-block friction when trying to open it.

is there any suggestions?

AJay
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a stack of 1x1 barrels on one end, so that you have enough room for the door to close without snagging the corner. It's not always practical, but you can always pretend that it's a detailed frame...
AJayIrish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is precisely what i've done haha, but the problem is i've still got the problem due to the plates i've used on the top and bottom to secure the barrels into the frame....

AJay
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, use this piece then, maybe?
PJcountach

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other options,
Design a gate in disrepair, one is offset in front of the other so that they swing one at a time. Useful for design in a run down castle, or abandoned factory.

Design the door to swing back, and away. Most technique pieces should enable this, but you will have to set the gate back in a recess to hide the technic pieces from the front.

Use plates to reduce liklihood of friction while opening Example: Viking Fortress
ufjason

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try nested sliding gates like you see in star trek.
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also consider moving the gate hinge out of line from the gate itself. In crude ASCII form, something like:

Code:
o              o
+------||------+

instead of

Code:
o------||------o

where o is the door pivot point, and the |s are the door edges that come together. The L-shape to the door means that the inside faces move away from each other as they move outward, which ought to avoid the friction issue you're talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right on the money there KungFused, cheers!

AJay
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: