FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions: Lego Star Wars Contests
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Suggestions: Lego Star Wars Contests Reply with quote

Although the Suggestions forum will remain locked until the site and forum reboot, I'd like to get some dialogue going with suggestions from you guys about possible future Lego Star Wars contests for the site. We've got one contest in the pipeline, and ideas for a few more, but with all the animosity here today, I thought it might be a good idea for people to take their minds off of forum drama and focus on creativity and fun.

Think about our members here, Lego builders around the web, casual Lego fans around the tubes, and the all-encompassing theme of Lego Star Wars, throw your ideas in the pool. I am in no way suggesting that we will use any of these, but it's always possible. Smile
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]

Last edited by Chief on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vidzombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, there's a Forum reboot? :O

Flickr

Last edited by conan on Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build a better set- So there's this LEGO set, and when you first heard about it, it sounded amazing. Then you saw the official pictures, and well, it kanda' sucked.

Challenge: Take an official LEGO Star Wars set that you weren't satisfied with, and build a MOC that was more like what you wanted it to be.
(small $0-20, medium $20-50, large $50+ categories)
Zombiegoo
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Republic/Separatist Starship contest - build a new spacecraft for the armed forces of Republic/CIS to fight in the fierce battles of the Clone Wars.
Thee categories, perhaps, or just one of these: Interceptor, Heavy starfighter/bomber, shuttle/transport.

Kinda like the Void fighter contest (which was very nice, I recall). Could be a working idea, with the new CW series airing and all that.
alldarker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuild a set
Like the B-Wing competion, a couple of years ago.
Take the pieces from any SW Lego set, using as many pieces from it as you want, but no more, and build a different vehicle. Possibly divide the competition into different categories by piece count for the original set.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build a LEGO Lightsaber

Who out there doesn't want to own a lightsaber, now you can. It doesn't matter what sets you take from as long as you take only LEGO elements. No digital rendering. Ta Daa.

Think how many different curved and cylindrical pieces there are now, it be fun I think
Gingerbeard Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joedward wrote:
Build a LEGO Lightsaber

It doesn't matter what sets you take from as long as you take only LEGO elements. No digital rendering.

Here is my minimalist interpretation:

Ok, this is just the BrickLink picture, but I do have one of those battery boxes at home. As a kid it always made me think of Star Wars lightsabers. Just add a little greebling top and bottom and you're done...
knapplZ
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build your own capital starship - ISD scale. This is near and dear to my heart, as I've had dreams of building an Imperial Fleet to go along with my ISD for years now. Thing is, there aren't that many imperial ships in canon. You'd have to build your own ship in scale with the ISD, to help fill out the grand Imperial Navy.
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternate model "sealed deck" build

I keep mentioning this in hopes it'll materialize again some day. Wink Like the B-Wing contest, each person builds something from one particular medium-sized set (or two small sets?) and can only use those pieces. It's not only interesting to see how creative folks can get, but is good because it completely levels the playing field (assuming you can afford to buy the set or have it in the first place): it's not about how many bricks you have, but what you can do with a limited supply.

(EDIT-) I just noticed that alldarker posted the same thing. Well... Yay for parallel ideas!

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr

Last edited by Morbie19 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigospedros

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh, competitions ... brill. Just what this community needs Smile

I'm not sure I have a snazzy title like everyone else, but how about a competition on making large scale minifigures from SW ? i.e. like the models of the clones in the recent TRU competition in the UK or the models of Boba Fett etc that we've seen before.

You could make anyone from the films / EU etc but make em out of Bricks. Extra points for not just recreating a current figure in brick form

Smile

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
Rook
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough I think this thread ties into another thread that was just closed. This forum has huge connections with big hitters and yet there hasn't been a contest in ages. I'm an administrator for a small forum and we have contests regularly mostly kids putting up small prizes from their allowances and a few AFOL's with nothing better to do. It's seems to me that one of the biggest Star Wars Lego Forums would be able to come up with at least some Contests & Group Builds to keep the masses engaged and building.

That being said I'd like to see a Holiday Contest. Yep I said it Star Wars vs. the Holidays like Star Wars vs. Steam Punk. Reindeer drive A-wings, Santa flying a custom Falcon, Elves building battle droids, the Menorah Fighter... You get the idea. Anyway Happy Holidays. Laughing

edited by Chief to make the contest idea stand apart from the rest of the post
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea on the Holiday Star Wars, Rook.
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rook wrote:
Oddly enough I think this thread ties into another thread that was just closed. This forum has huge connections with big hitters and yet there hasn't been a contest in ages. I'm an administrator for a small forum and we have contests regularly mostly kids putting up small prizes from their allowances and a few AFOL's with nothing better to do. It's seems to me that the of the biggest Star Wars Lego Forums would be able to come up with at least some Contests & Group Builds to keep the masses engaged and building. That being said I'd like to see a Holiday Contest. Yep I said it Star Wars vs. the Holidays like Star Wars vs. Steam Punk. Reindeer drive A-wings, Santa flying a custom Falcon, Elves building battle droids, the Menorah Fighter... You get the idea. Anyway Happy Holidays. Laughing

That actually sounds like a cool concept, very nice Very Happy
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for the idea mentioned by Morgan19 and alldarker. That would be the only contest I could enter because I don't have many extra parts, and I can't afford to order from Bricklink or Pick-a-Brick. So that's what I vote for.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO build with what you have got. Just remember quality, not quantity.

I do like the holiday themed contest, it totally blows my lightsaber idea out of the water.

I do have another suggestion though. How about an alphabet themed contest.

Any letter from the alphabet, except "R". I didn't exclude the ones in the films because I'm interested to see if anyone could build an alternate version of an A, B, V, X or Y-wing and make it look unique and interesting. Though the finer points would be up to the staff, I think it could have merit.
Chief
Frak yeah! [ADMIN]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK-425: This is not a competition or a poll, and it just started yesterday. Let's let others throw their thoughts in before saying things like "Those are the only ones I'd participate in." Thanks.
[b:47f5051a03][color=red:47f5051a03]BULLETIN ISSUED SATURDAY 01.31.2009 11:59:59PM PST. ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: PLEASE READ THIS[/color:47f5051a03][/b:47f5051a03]

Last edited by Chief on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
H3D1

Location: near Boston, MA Nerd Factor: Very High Annoyed: Yes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Galagoo's idea would be a good one, with the Republic/CIS fighters. Possibly even in Mini form.
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
TK-425: This is not a competition or a poll, and it just started yesterday. Let's let others throw their thoughts in before saying things like "Those are the only one I'd participate in." Thanks.

Sorry. Let me clarify: "I can only easily participate in a contest that does not require an immense number of pieces, as I'm tight on money and LEGO, and I won't cannibalize more than one or two sets." Sorry for any confusion, and I wasn't trying to pressure anyone to choose a certain contest. I was merely stating my thoughts.
Swoosh Zombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Wars Fusion Contest

Recreate a vehicle or scene from Star Wars built in the style of another LEGO theme. Will you try to put a new spin on a classic such as a Blacktron TIE Fighter or a Classic Space X-Wing, or be really adventurous and build a Castle Cantina? The possibilities are endless.

I also quite like Rook's holiday themed contest, although I suppose it's a bit late to get it going for this year.

TK-425 wrote:
Sorry. Let me clarify: "I can only easily participate in a contest that does not require an immense number of pieces, as I'm tight on money and LEGO, and I won't cannibalize more than one or two sets."

You do realize that your contest entry can in fact be taken apart and the parts used re-combined and reassembled into their original sets, right? Wink
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swoosh Factor wrote:

Recreate a vehicle or scene from Star Wars built in the style of another LEGO theme. Will you try to put a new spin on a classic such as a Blacktron TIE Fighter or a Classic Space X-Wing, or be really adventurous and build a Castle Cantina? The possibilities are endless.

Okay, now that's my favorite so far. Exellent idea there, Swoosh Factor! Very Happy
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swoosh Factor wrote:
TK-425 wrote:
Sorry. Let me clarify: "I can only easily participate in a contest that does not require an immense number of pieces, as I'm tight on money and LEGO, and I won't cannibalize more than one or two sets."

You do realize that your contest entry can in fact be taken apart and the parts used re-combined and reassembled into their original sets, right? Wink

I know. But it tears me apart inside. Crying or Very sad
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, how about a Clone Wars Moc Contest, in light of the new TV series?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another direction: I often see MOCs of new ships- but what about new places?

Rooms of the Death Star: It's the size of a small moon and we've only seen 6 rooms. What else is on that battle station?
liquidcross

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MingoDave wrote:

Rooms of the Death Star: It's the size of a small moon and we've only seen 6 rooms. What else is on that battle station?

Ooooh, vignette style!

In fact...why not a LSW vignette contest?

Brickshelf
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because we had that one already, and it was awesome...
liquidcross

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joedward wrote:
Because we had that one already, and it was awesome...

All the more reason to have another one! With a Clone Wars theme, of course.

Brickshelf
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just throw in that I really DON'T want to see it be Clone Wars-related? Please. No more Clone Wars.
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MingoDave wrote:

Ooooo... TK likey. Good idea. You mean making rooms that aren't seen in canon?
MingoDave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK-425 wrote:
You mean making rooms that aren't seen in canon?

That was my idea, yeah. Like where do the gunners eat? Or where does the dianoga go when the walls start moving?
ThePlasticJedi
Maple Leaf Defender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swoosh Factor wrote:

Belleville Death Star Razz

My idea would have to be to build the un-aired scene where Jar-Jar dies. No matter how gruesome or over-killed he is. Razz (I'm serious.)

And if we were to go along the lines of Ed's idea, we would definitely want to leave it open to all gadgets used throughout the movies. That way the submissions would have some variance.

Sarlaac unearthed: Did you know that there's a whole beast under thar? Build it!! Wink

Chew them out and spit them up. It's the way of the Nooblet.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: