FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Republic Attack Gunship Nose Art
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rayman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Republic Attack Gunship Nose Art Reply with quote

As you may have noticed in the upcoming Clone Wars animation the Republic Gunship nose sport WWII-esque bomber art, which is very cool as it showcases another form of the growing indiviuality of the Clones under the command of Jedi. However I never knew that they could paint so well. Smile

This is my first non-minifg MOC, and although it is not what I usually do I enjoyed drawing this, and I do plan on making more gunship art as they appear in the TV series.

The Aurek-Besh simply says Lucky Lekku 2 as I couldn't find out what this particular gunship was called. I'll change it when I find out. Otherwise she'll bear this name for now. The artwork is based on this gunship. I tried to caprture the style that LEGO used for their stickers so I was very liberal with the lineart making sure to retain weight variation throughout.

Here is the FULL STICKER SHEET.

Those with sharp eyes may have noticed that I have changed the colours on the Blue Twi'lek. The original Twi'lek wore a grey coloured clone suit which bothered me so I altered the colours on my version so that it is more true to Clone Trooper standards. The line weight and variations should correspond exactly with TLC's stickers. So if you are looking for some replacement stickers these should be as good as scan of the originals. I have also improved the contrast on the monkey lizard so that the colour of his beak stands out better against the outline. Other than that there are no changes. So if you are looking for some replacement stickers these should be as good as scan of the originals.

Please feel free to use these in anyway you wish, and give credit where appropriate-- I don't mind if you don't Smile. Included are also a set of blank gunship nose stickers so that you too can design your own gunship art.

WWII and Star Wars rock! Cool
blackninjatom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, what program did you use? I made some also, but I used photoshop, and then I made them in the wrong size then I had to stretch them now they're all blurry and this is run on sentence. Confused You did a great job replicating the TLG's style, it definitely belongs with the others.
Their quality is far from yours ( Should redo them), but still acklay ,nexu

Awesome job,
Blackninjatom

Last edited by blackninjatom on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain Ausome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I loove it! I wanted to do this same thing but i realized i would mess it up big time so i didn't and i didn't put any stickers on my gunship and im glad i didn't this is great!
Brick Fett

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it Rayman. Great job.

And I agree with changing the Twi's armor to white.

And blackninjatom all you need to do to match the size of something is messure it like a square "x" and creat a file that size before making the decal.

Then when you print it it should be the same size as the decal you're trying to match.

Last edited by Brick Fett on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clonecommando007
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work on this Rayman!
I'll definantly be printing this up soon and applying it to my gunship nose. Hope to see more twi'leks soon!

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild -
www.TheCABG.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rayman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Cool Please post up some picks of the printed out stickers. I would LOVE to see what they'd look like on an actual gunship! I don't have one so help out a brother here : ) haha

That's the problem with photoshop, I used to draw all of my decals with the program, but have now moved onto using Adobe Illustrator (CS2 is the specific version I used). I imported the scanned sketch into the program and "vectorised" it. Its awesome because in Illustrator the image will not get blurry no matter how much you decide to stretch it.

Sketch

Blackninjatom your Acklay's got a pretty menacing pose. Twisted Evil it's a shame the decals are a bit blurry. But they do look pretty awesome once you zoom out. The Nexu would have a stronger impact if there was a bolder black outline (like the Acklay). It'd look like its ready to jump out of the gunship! Smile

I'll do more Twi'leks if I get more inspiration, but the general rule of thumb is whatever new gunship art that is revealed in the TV series I will make (you can bet your bottom dollar on that) : ). This sounds like a sub-project that I would very much like to complete.

I don't know why Lego gave the Twi'lek grey armour. This was the main reason why I started this project in the first place.
blackninjatom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never realized there was a difference in art programs until, like, this week. Embarassed I am downloading free trials, because I love the way these vector decals come out. Also I just got some extra wedge pieces so I will print them out, and get some pics. Once I got the vector or the size figured out I will redo the nexu and acklay. The sketch itself is great, and thanks for the information.
Rayman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I only found out at the begining of this year, which is when I changed from Photoshop to Illustrator. Commander Gree was my last figure created with photoshop.

But it doesn't really matter which program you use to make your decals. What IS important is the original resolution you draw them at. For example if you draw your torso decals on photoshop at 500x500 pixels. They will always look as good illustrator vector decals. It depends what program you are comfortable with. Personally I like photoshop better because it has a "free-hand" kind of feel to it. I use Illustrator when I need to be exact -- especially useful when tracing TLC company designs.
RF Aurora

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im lovin all the nose art. where would I find the stciker sheets at a walmart doesnt have them?
Brick Fett

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice art. It looks like your scanner scans nice and clean as well. I just recently got a large bed scanner and I've noticed it doesn't scan as clean as my old one which means a lot of prep work before I can color my art plus I feel my end art looks rougher now than my old stuff which makes me sad.

I'm definitely a Photoshop guy but I'm intrigued about illustrator now. I know a few people who use it so I may have to get that as well.

Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will we be seeing more custom nose art in the future? I'd like to see what other interesting designs you can come up with.

A rancor or wampa design would look fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet that I'll be making more and more custom nose art. Maybe if there is enough interest in custom nose-art in the community we could pool up the the designs on a common thread. A Wampa would be a pretty interesting idea. Imagine horns painted on the side of a gunship. Twisted Evil

The Scanner that I have is a Canoscan 1240U, its about 6-7 years old now. The scan resolution isn't that good. I'll admit I cheated a bit with some pre-photoshopping the sketch before I used it as the basis for my final artwork. I actually had to redraw the original artwork from the 7676 sticker sheet, as I used the catalogue image from bricklink.

I presume you can buy sticker sheets from places that sell printer cartridges and consumables. I know at least in Melbourne, there is an office supply chain called Officeworks that sells the sheets.

If I remember correctly there's an American seller that stocks inkjet sticker paper on ebay. So that'll be worth checking out.
blackninjatom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you don't need to imagine, Smile wampa and rancor (sorta). I have almost redone the nexu at a larger size and resolution, and will post it when it's finished.

Blackninjatom

edit: finished Very Happy

edit the gunship is called "bad kitty" Very Happy

Last edited by blackninjatom on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
RocketSeason

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a beauty. Thanks alot for this! Yet another reason for me to just give it up and go buy the Set.
gold_2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This caught my eye, so I tried one. There are suprisingly few creatures in the SW universe to worry about. Maybe 5 people out there will recognize this one: Kitik Keed'kak.

Backstory: While many Clone Pilots choose to adorn more typically fiercesome creatures in the SW Universe on their craft, the pilot of this particular Gunship named his ship after a bar on some backwater desert planet. The pilot had a run-in with a particularly tenacious Yam'rii working as a bouncer in the pub in question. The pilot was especially fond of the raunchy and humurous bar's name, which is unfit to print here.

click here for Flickr and the full scan: http://www.flickr.com/photos/74424867@N00/2921707300/

Thanks to Rayman's excellent scans and a cool idea!

Last edited by gold_2 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:35 am; edited 4 times in total
blackninjatom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Awesome. What's its name? That is a great idea, a very interesting "animal" indeed.

Last edited by blackninjatom on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
RocketSeason

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question, How do I ensure that I am printing this at the proper size?

Thanks!
gold_2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the print preview button will give you a good idea. I'm gonna check mine right now

Edit: I had to resize mine down to 38% of Rayman's original to fit it to the 7x8 slope pieces. The actual size is .846 inches wide x .316 inches tall using 500 pixles/inch scale (yes, it makes a very big difference)

I'm not sure how else to do it. Rayman prolly does though. Wink
Brick Fett

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of nice Decals guys.

Kudos

Rayman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gold_2 wrote:
the print preview button will give you a good idea. I'm gonna check mine right now

Edit: I had to resize mine down to 38% of Rayman's original to fit it to the 7x8 slope pieces. The actual size is .846 inches wide x .316 inches tall using 500 pixles/inch scale (yes, it makes a very big difference)

I'm not sure how else to do it. Rayman prolly does though. Wink

Exactly how I print out all of my decals. I actually don't know any other way. Smile

And ditto on Brick Fett. Should compile the designs into a different thread once more come in.

The Nexu's much better now that you can appreciate the detail. The praying mantis is very appropropriate as gunship art. Keep it up! I should have more nose art in the next 3-4 weeks, I am currently studying for my end-of year exams right now so there's little I can do. argh!
blackninjatom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have redone the acklay Cool Now I need to do something new. Wink

didn't realize I forgot this, the gunship is called "don't be crabby"

Last edited by blackninjatom on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
DarkZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are looking great, guys, very creative. Can someone provide me with a blank template (without the creature, text, missle symbols, etc.) so I can give this a shot?
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Republic Attack Gunship Nose Art Reply with quote

Rayman wrote:
This is my first time running across this thread - but I've got to say that illustration is perfect for the gunship. Awesome job.
gold_2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkBlue wrote:
These are looking great, guys, very creative. Can someone provide me with a blank template (without the creature, text, missle symbols, etc.) so I can give this a shot?

look at Rayman's first post, which started the thread and open the "full sticker sheet" link. the bottom of the sticker sheet is blank. save it, open it in your art program of choice, and crop to the blank sheet. Wink
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that mantis dude. He is in the Cantina scene in A New Hope. Everyone knows him!
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To gold_2: Who's had their head chopped off? Originally, I thought it was meant to be some CIS leader (thus sending a message to the enemy as the gunship flies over, very low) but now that I think about who the green dude is, I'm thinking the victim is a tusken raider? Idea
gold_2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, I hadn't really thought about who it was supposed to be. maybe I should have her standing over a ripped apart battle droid or something
Rayman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Acklay Tom! Also for those including aurebesh in their stickers, could you provide a translation for it? I can't read the alphabet, and I am dying to know what's written on the stickers!

Yeah just as gold_2 wrote, the blank template is part of the full sticker sheet that I have posted up on my brickshelf. It should be in the first post.

If you can be bothered scrolling up, here it is... THE FULL STICKER SHEET. The picture is quite large (777kb), so for those with a slower connection right click on the link above and choose "Save As."

Again to Gold_2 a crushed battle droid would look pretty cool. : ) I might include droids in my later works.
blackninjatom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added the names to all my gunships (well the two of them Wink ).
RocketSeason

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayman,

Do you know what yours says? Did you just slap some characters on there?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: