FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Security for "Clone Wars" sets.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Security for "Clone Wars" sets. Reply with quote

Fellow members and friends, today is a sad day.

I've just returned from town after doing a recon for the new sets. I went out to see what's available and where. First stop The Entertainer - a toy shop that charges crazy prices for Lego every now & then but not always. What do I find? Every SW Lego set they have - security tagged.

Republic Gunship - tagged.
Republic Fighter Tank - tagged.
Magna Guard Starfighter - tagged.
Imperial Dropship - tagged.
Rebel Speeder - tagged.
Y-Wing - tagged.

Next stop Tesco - they seem to have Lego abit cheaper than what you get charged on Lego's website. I'm shocked to find a similar scene.

Anakin's Starfighter - tagged.
Republic Fighter Tank - tagged.
Magna Guard Starfighter - tagged.

I asked some young lad what was happening and he said "Some guy came in the other day and started sawing through one of those tank boxes with a penknife. He grabbed a few of the bags inside, tried to leg it but then got caught by a security guard who rugby tackled him to the floor".

Both The Entertainer and Tesco now use the same security tag. Similar designs can be found protecting perfume bottles, shavers and men's aftershave. It just doesn't make sense. How could anyone smuggle out a Republic Fighter Tank box or Magna Guard Starfighter box under their coat? Yeah, they could steal the Battle Packs easily but something that comes in a much bigger box? This seems so crazy. Confused Oh well, I shall come to accept it like having anti-theft devices attached to DVDs and CDs in HMV.

However, may I just take this opportunity to give a big thumbs up to the scumbags and criminals who carry out such mindless crimes. Not. Evil or Very Mad Great going people. This is the first child's toy I've ever seen with an anti-theft device. Rolling Eyes And to think you want to steal such a thing. Go and buy some balls, and then go rob a bank or a diamond store - that's what real criminals do. If you get caught then at least you can tell your cell buddy that it was during a failed diamond robbery and not during a mission to steal a plastic spaceship. Mad

Rant over. Period. Evil or Very Mad
zombie REX
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawl Laughing. STAR WARS: THE PLASTIC BRICK STEALERS STRIKE BACK.

" Let me show you how it works clanker!"

Captain REX of the 501st
ZombieKenobi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That is pretty sad to here. I mean really, are people really that desperate to grab a few extra lego pieces and or figures? Imagine how you would feel if you open your new lego set you've been wanting to get since it came out, and bags were missing. I know I'd be really upset. And in terms of the security tags, I think it's rather disapointing that things have obviously gotten so bad that we need to tag lego sets. Oh well, what can you do about these kinds of people...not much.
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And imagine a six-year-old kid. If a kid got that, he'd be crying for days. What lengths will people go to to get some LEGO pieces. Reminds me of this thread .
thrasher zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definatly pathetic, but what is worse about it is that stores might not always let you return it. They don't know who they can and can't trust. Hope he goes to jail, and drops the soap Wink
RebelZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame the guy. The Clone Wars sets are so expensive I've thought about stealing one myself. Wink
ZombieKenobi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thrasher wrote:
Hope he goes to jail, and drops the soap Wink

Laughing
That's just wrong, and at the same time super funny.
Jedi Joe
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thrasher wrote:
Hope he goes to jail, and drops the soap Wink

Maybe you'll be his first victim! Twisted Evil

Last edited by Jedi Joe on Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
0ceanZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally see ripped open starwars lego boxes at my
local Wall Mart but they never did anything like that. Confused
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well played Jake. Laughing
RF Aurora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are the security tags the little stickers, or actual plastic cases like some places use for vid games, etc?
bigospedros

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suspect they're like wires that circle the box like a ribbon on a parcel. Break one of the wire attachments to the joining point / box thing and an alarm goes off etc

*edit*

Regards there use ... so be it ... at least you should know that if you choose to buy one, it hasn't been tampered with Smile

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
gold_2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clearly you dont know much about professional shoplifters. I worked at Target when RotS came out- ALL the figs were stolen from ALL the blisters on those sets. EBAY saavy crooks knew what those minifigs were fetching on teh Webz, and made a killing relatively easily stealing the poorly packaged figures.

one time two guys walked out the front door pushing a buggy with two Dyson Animals in it, a $1100 loss to the store. people would often manage to get out with flatscreen computer monitors under their jackets. PSP games were stolen 15-20 at a time! heck, our PSP display unit was stolen, and that took some work! and this was Target, where there are cameras all over the place and plainclothes security. there are squads of crooks that target all the Targets in a 200 mile radius, stealing whatever they find is easy for them to steal.

Lego's problem here is that they created this problem- SW figs are only valuable with the entire package unopened or damaged. Lego SW figs became valuable, due to their relative rarity being in only one set, and are still rare and valued by themselves. Its no suprise that jerks who don't care about getting caught stealing feel free to grab them up for a few easy dollars. Add to that the Clone army collectors, in addition to the SW collectors in general, and you begin to see why this is such a problem. if Lego simply made these figs available by themselves you'd probably see less problems with boxes being opened. personally, as I could care less for unopened boxes, etc, I don't have any problem whatsoever with the extra security.

of course, most folks know already if your box is found to be missing pieces Lego will ship them to you free of charge.
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rare figures are a major selling point for the higher-priced sets, so seeing them sold individually is not going to happen. The only real solution is to stick the sets behind a sealed display case with a little sign that says "ask an employee for assistance."
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigospedros wrote:
I suspect they're like wires that circle the box like a ribbon on a parcel. Break one of the wire attachments to the joining point/box thing and an alarm goes off, etc.

That's exactly what's on the boxes I saw. Confused On the front, in the centre (blocking abit of the box-art) is a chunky circular case. A little LED flashes red every five seconds (showing it's a live wire). The wires are kept safe within thick plastic so unless you give it a good yank here and there, that Lego set isn't going anywhere. Yep, those devices will be tricky to get by for sure. Wink
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then surely you just cut into one of corners, so long as you avoid the wires.

I maintain that knife-proof kevlar copmosite is the way to go...
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM, why does it matter. Because of these jerks being totally cheap and absolute jerks, you can now buy LEGO sets in the knowledge that it will all be there when you buy it.

I do still think it's an outrage that some git feels the need to steal from kids toys to get his kicks, but what are you gonna do???
Max Rebo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can understand a little that high price items are 'tagged' in supermarkets. With the advent of self operated checkouts and less money in peoples pockets they need to safeguard against stock walking out. I also, rightly or wrongly, have a sneaking suspicion that the great British sense of honesty and fair play is less prevalent nowadays. Shame innit.

Of course maybe the supermarkets have simply classified Lego as being in the same league as Spirits in terms of potential theft. They now have to watch out for all those Lego addicts in addition to the wide eyed alcoholics in the aisles. Razz
RF Aurora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CommanderJake wrote:
Well then surely you just cut into one of corners, so long as you avoid the wires.

I maintain that knife-proof kevlar copmosite is the way to go...

I second the motion...the way to deal with the openings, have a code lock, and then call TLG for the combination after you get home and give them proof of purchase from the receit.
Dark Paladin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently at Target (in Australia) and was looking to purchase Clone Wars related sets (due to a 20% off Star Wars lego sale) and spied a Magna Droid fighter. It too had one of those "plastic-cably-running-around-the-box-with lights-flashing" security devices attached. When I took it to the counter and asked about it, I was advised that they had recently introduced this for their stock of Star Wars Lego (no mention of any other lego themes being secured). It then took about 20 minutes to remove the security packaging (there was something wrong with the plastic clips inside). Good thing I wasn't in that much of a rush (ok, I was, but there's no point hassling kids on a minimum wage).
HoboBob1138

Location: In a cardboard box on the corner of 'Omless and Buhm street

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're commonly called spider wraps, at least they were at the walmart i used to work at. The ends are held together with magnets, and require a very STRONG magnet to get them loose. We used them to keep our pre paid cell phones from being stolen. Great for electronics in plastic case, cardboard boxes? Not so much I think.
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've seen those on hard drives at electronic stores...they better not put them on Legos in the US. :-/

Simple solution is just raise the penalty for stealing the stuff in the first place....same solution to any other crime problem in the US. Eventually the penalty will get so high few people will even attempt the crime and taxpayers will save hundreds of billions every year saved on costs handling the crime (police, court costs, etc); no joke.
Gingerbeard Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThinkingImpaired wrote:
Simple solution is just raise the penalty for stealing the stuff in the first place....

Pointless, unless you also significantly raise the chance of catching the buggers.

In Germany supposedly 90% of all shoplifters are not caught. Who cares what the penalty is if there is only a 1 in 10 chance of being caught?
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joedward wrote:
Why does it matter.

Well look at the lengths the stores have to go to just to protect the sets. Like I said before, the devices used are the same as the ones required to protect perfume, shavers, aftershave, etc. They act as a deterrent to anyone who's tempted to steal the product.

If you were a parent (shopping for Lego for your kids) and found the product protected in such a way, surely you'd be shocked to see such methods in use. Idea You don't expect Lego to need security tags.
bigospedros

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Master wrote:

If you were a parent (shopping for Lego for your kids) and found the product protected in such a way, surely you'd be shocked to see such methods in use. Idea You don't expect Lego to need security tags.

i'm not a parent, but I suspect it wouldn't even register with them. Why is it so shocking to see a company protecting their assets from theft ? In todays world, nothing is sacred, it seems.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if shops soon abandon the physical security additions and just have empty boxes on display (like Woolworths in Portsmouth have done). If you want the set, you take the empty box to the counter and they bring out a fresh one, with contents, from the stock room.

Music shops have done this for years with games and consoles and some higher priced CDs, so it seems natural to extend it to other high value goods.

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigospedros wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if shops soon abandon the physical security additions and just have empty boxes on display

That was the biggest shock I ever had after buying something;-)
I got SW Episode 3 on DVD, it was sealed and all, and the cashier didn't say anything. So I went home, removed the seal and the box was empty!
The whole night I thought about ways to convince the shop that it was already empty when bought and that I did not remove the DVD.
At the next day I experienced a laughing shop assistant and had no problems with getting my DVD from the information desk.

FlickrBrickshelf
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerbeard Man wrote:
ThinkingImpaired wrote:
Simple solution is just raise the penalty for stealing the stuff in the first place....

Pointless, unless you also significantly raise the chance of catching the buggers.

In Germany supposedly 90% of all shoplifters are not caught. Who cares what the penalty is if there is only a 1 in 10 chance of being caught?

There's that fear factor that if you make one wrong move while trying to steal $50 worth from a store you could spend 10+ years in prison. True that you have to catch them first but even if it doesn't stop all shoplifting, it will stop most; and some people still doing it will get caught.
Max Rebo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThinkingImpaired wrote:
[
There's that fear factor that if you make one wrong move while trying to steal $50 worth from a store you could spend 10+ years in prison.

Sounds a little harsh and VERY expensive for the taxpayer!

Bring back the stocks eh? Twisted Evil
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the problem with having this.

The only problem I can see this proving to be is to the people stealing Lego. But I could care less about their problems.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: