FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3-D printing anything (even Lego)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jzyg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: 3-D printing anything (even Lego) Reply with quote

I am kinda geeky (aren't we all in some way). And while perusing one of my top 15 daily websites for the day, I found this.

http://gizmodo.com/5041836/shapeways-allows-you-to-materialize-any-3d-object-star-trek-style

I have always been fascinated with 3-D printing and to see a company offer a service that allows you to design any object (except certain ones mentioned in the article) and have them manufacture it and ship it to you in 10 days. They even mentioned Lego more than once and general toy enthusiast. It doesn't have color or many textures yet, but it is definitely a great business model that has room to grow!

I don't know exactly what the material is, I am tempted to just make something and send off for it to see what I get back. Probably some nice Lego (printed, pardon the pun) piece(s).

I wonder what kind of copyright/IP restrictions they have on items they print? I mean, if you design it and upload the schematics, does it matter if it 'resembles' something else, like a Stormtrooper? (my guess is yes, but who knows?)

Thoughts about the general service they offer and what would you have printed first?
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not the first place to offer this service, but it's rare find a site that states a 10 day turnaround and one that gives you the price by volume right up front - which I love. Also that shipping is included.

I'm already signed up there and have been refining a model of mine to have printed, to see how good their materials are. You can probably guess what after all my Portal gushing.

So far as LEGO customs are concerned, you need a minimum detail size of half a millimeter. That means you can get the shape of a new alien head, but you wouldn't be a very good one and would still take some finishing. Now if you were to take something the size of a Taun Taun from the video game, it would have sufficient detailing, but it would cost around $150 and you would still need to finish it.

Also, important to note this detail: "Please note that the 3D objects are meant to be decorative objects only. They are not suited to be used as toys, or to be given to children underage. Further, the objects should not come in contact with electricity or food & drinks and be kept away from heat."

I'm also compelled to dig this thread up:
http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=20009
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty sweet, but it seems Rhino isn't supported. Bummer for me, since the only other programs I know are Form*Z and Sketchup (not a huge fan of either).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhino should be able to export an STL file... Question
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll have to investigate that, because I didn't see Rhino on the list of programs on the site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up, but I doubt I will buy any models just due to lack of skill in modeling in my part.

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm diggin up this thread because the following might interest a few of you...

So, who wants to touch me? Wink
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGod.

That's awesome Donald, brilliant that it arrived. For $33, I'd buy it.
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely cool. Very Happy

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
Zombie Fett
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:

So, who wants to touch me? Wink

Ahem.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, sorry, the correct reference was the South Park movie. But thanks for playing. Wink
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: