FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should LEGO discontinue creepy mini-figs in upcoming sets?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandtrooper Platoon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Should LEGO discontinue creepy mini-figs in upcoming sets? Reply with quote

As it is coming up to 2009 and new sets are in the pipeline, I thought it would be prudent to ask the FBTB community should the bell toll for the creepy mini-fig and release any new characters in their more normal guise with standard minifig faces?

As far as I am concerned, they should. Here's why.

Obi-Wan and Anakin are two minifigs that can be salvaged. I use a spare Obi-Wan head (from 7665 Republic Cruiser) to replace the horrible one (from 7676).

For Anakin, take any Luke head from any number of sets with Luke in them. Anakin and Luke are dead ringers (except for the coloration of the eyebrows).

Plo-koon is cool. I couldn't imagine any other way they could make it appear standard.

Assaj, I can live with, because she doesn't have eyes that look like she is on crack.

The only problem is Ahsoka. They could release her in an upcoming set, with an orange head, but with standard mini-fig eyes. Therefore they could also have a Shaak Ti minifig. Wink

The clones are cool, because you can cover their fugtoon faces permanently. How often will you display (or play with them for our younger viewers) without their helmets on.

I think the Lego company would be crazy to release any new CW sets with creepy mini-fig versions of such prominent Jedi such as Yoda, Mace Windu or Ki-Adi Mundi and Count Dooku as possible choices to be released in upcoming sets. These minifigs would be ruined by "attempting" to make them look like their animated counterparts. TLC has ruined Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka. However, they could release normal mini-figs in sets later next year, to make up for their blunder.

I hope that the 7675, 7676 and 7680 sets are the last we will see of the creepy minifig. (Fingers crossed).

Please TLC, listen to the marketplace. Cool
Captain Ausome

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Should LEGO discontinue creepy mini-figs in upcoming set Reply with quote

Sandtrooper Platoon wrote:
The only problem is Ahsoka. They could release her in an upcoming set, with an orange head, but with standard mini-fig eyes. Therefore they could also have a Shaak Ti minifig. Wink

But then it would still be orange and shaak ti is clearly red. This is one thing that disturbed me greatly about ahsoka. She is Togrutan just like shaak ti but has orange skin?!? Confused Oh well the headpiece is da bomb so I'll live.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming any new sets in the Clone Wars theme are going to continue the creepy minifig trend, because switching back would be all sorts of discomfort for the minority who actually like them. For the time being I think we just need to suck it up and speak with our wallets. As in: don't buy the sets with the stuff you don't want.
RebelZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
For the time being I think we just need to suck it up and speak with our wallets. As in: don't buy the sets with the stuff you don't want.

For serious. The only Clone Wars figs I want anyways are a few clone troopers but I'll be able to get them cheaply soon. Wink

I could care less about Jabba's turd of a baby and the other creeps.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If TLC ever releases a Ki Adi Mundi (with bigger head, naturally) and gives him stupid animé eyes, I will torch a LEGO store* out of rage and hatred.
Sad

* I seriously wouldn't do that, but that's how upset I'd be
xwingyoda

Location: An X-Wing crashed in the Eiffel Tower - not the Vegas one !!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All CW sets should be with the cartoonie printed faces Wink I personnally really like them and it adds to the novelty and freshness of the line IMO.

I would be a bit pissed if they released characters that exist in the PT solely in the CW sets.
For instance, no need for a regular Ahsoka since she only appears in the CW.
Now if they were to release a CW Dooku and Padme I would be a tad pissed since we really need new ones with regular faces to fit the PT. Dooku is yellow faced and old coloured, and we never had a brilliant Padme.

One thing TLC could do for said characters is having either a double printed head (CW on one side and PT on the other if feasable ith hairdo) or even better include 2 heads to choose fom Smile

Yoda

My BS Folder & Flickr
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I like the CW faces.
But they should stick those faces to the CW characters and not start doing figs in PT or OT sets with such faces.

FlickrBrickshelf
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the clonewars face's, but I can stand them.
So it doesn't bother me too much if they keep doing those faces, but ONLY for Clone Wars sets.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
zombly42
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too bothered by them providing that they don't start making new jedi in that style.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be rather annoyed if they make cartoony figures of characters who have appeared in the movies but do not have a minifig yet (Like Padme, Aayla, etc.)
They should only make cartoon figures of people that we have in normal minifigure style.

Exceptions would be characters like Plo Koon, who doesn't look much different in either.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
darthtangent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Should LEGO discontinue creepy mini-figs in upcoming set Reply with quote

Yeah, I am still waiting for an Ep. 3 Anakin without the headset. I do not like the look of the anime heads, but I can see why LEGO went this way. I think the appeal and recognition with kids will be greater. A double sided head would have made me happy (or include two heads!), but would have raised prices. I bet we will see Padme and Dooku heads in the new style. I don't know what sets LEGO would release them with regular heads in, so in the short term at least, we are going to be stuck.
Old Republic
Master Jedi [VET]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padme isn't a worry, they won't do one. They haven't given us a Padme in nine years so why would they start now?
The only one who bothers me is Obi-wan but that's because of the beard and hair. While it looks to be a good representation of the CW Obi-wan, IMO the show animators/designers royally screwed him up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think all of the hullabaloo created when switching to flesh tones might have given the LEGO Group pause on this issue. I hate fugtoon faces, but I'm confident LEGO will continue to release them with sets based on Clone Wars CG (be it the movie or the impending TV series). I'm not happy about it, but as Don mentioned...voting with your wallet seems the best option. 2008 is the first year in a while that I've passed on the majority of SW LEGO releases. I guess the new Death Star is meant to be the alternative for the man-child demographic. Smile
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the CW figures as long as I don't look at them too closely. Wink
commander ark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I injoy the new faces. Thay do not look all that bad to me. the only thing I have is that the new hair (for me) falls off way to easy. but that has nothing to do with the faces so I am good.
Commando_Scorch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is I'm so glad that Plo Koon (one of my favorite Jedi) passes for being part of the standard Star Wars minifigure. LEGO did the right thing there. His head goes along well with the Fisto head and has about the same style. Truthfully, I think both heads could be used for either the CW series or the standard.

><>
Zom-9
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only head I have a problem with is Asajj, I think she looks creepier than Obi to me! Shocked I do however like Ashoka.
The detail in her face is just fantastic. Smile

Brickshelf "You ponce in here expecting to be waited on hand and foot, well I'm trying to run a hotel here!"
WookieWarrior9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't touched any of the new CW sets. I can't help but wonder if people lost their minds when they made these.

endcreepyminifigfaces.blogspot.com
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new figures.
They look more or less like the characters in the Clone Wars Animation, and you have to remember that that is what they represent.
Member #3590

My Brickshelf
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explaining to me what they represent (as if I was unaware) isn't going to make me find them any less repulsive. Wink
Zombiekid24
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having such specialized faces takes away from the charm of the figures. I like the simplicity of the originals even if some of them have really generic faces. Looking at them I knew they were Lego minifigs.

I can appreaciate what they were trying to do but I'd rather go back to the old style after the current line of sets ends.
DarkZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too many people here seem to be thinking that this is some sort of permanent change that will spread to all the LEGO Star Wars sets. It's not. These "creepy" faces are just approximations of the animation style of the new Clone Wars cartoon/movie. They are not going to spread to OT sets and what not, trust me.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a fair share of alarmist overreaction in regard to this being the new norm across the SW theme. I don't think that will happen. One need only to look at the current line-up of non-CW sets to see that.

I think what is of concern to many is that we're seeing figures of characters we'd like, but not in the format we'd like them in. It's a tease. A fugtoon version of Dooku, for instance, leaves me with the options of a yellow "normal" Dooku head and a fleshy freak-faced Dooku. If I want a "normal" fleshy Dooku head, I'm out of luck...and when do you think they're going to release another AOTC set (AKA the only real chance of seeing a "normal" fleshy Dooku head) with all of this CW nonsense going on? There is still an impending TV series, after all. That translates to more CW merchandise...LEGO has already set the fugtoon precedent for any new CW figs.

In a nutshell it's like this:

LEGO: "Here's that new fig you wanted."
SW LEGO Fan: "Oh, awesome! Thanks!"
LEGO: "I made it all ugly and completely inconsistent with all of your other figs...hope that's cool."
SW LEGO Fan:"Uh...yeah...just keep it."

It's kind of like the yellow to flesh conversion, just on a smaller scale.
darthtangent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand why LEGO has made these minifigs, but I can't help and think that a classic LEGO interpretation would have been better than a representation of a representation.
Cheers!
WookieWarrior9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some ways it has already spread. Just take a look at Juno Eclipse. How hard is it to stick with the dot eyes and simplified face? The new Death Star Palpatine is also along the same line.

This is LSW version of the New Coke.

endcreepyminifigfaces.blogspot.com
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juno is especially ridiculous, because she's included in a set with two other figs that don't have the wonky eyes.

It makes no stinkin sense. Sad
bigospedros

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's so wrong with Juno ? I'm no expert on recent females in other lines, but it seems to me that all she's been given blue eyes and lippy and a hint of hair and that's about it in terms of differences.

Not quite like the change in theme for the CW sets, is it ?

I think we'll see a continuation of the "alternate" faces in the CW sets and back to "normal" in the non CW sets.

The only one that doesn't quite make sense to me is the Emporer in the DS set. Anyone post a clear pic of that to help me illustrate ?

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
greivous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing wrong with Juno, no stark differences. Just blue eyes, the lips are standard for woman.

Also like the new Emperor. Didnt seem cartoony to me at all.

having said that, i do hate the new CW Obi and Annie face, the rest in the CW line I can deal with. Except the Megablock magnaguards Mad

Its Lego, not Legos!
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juno's eyes are a lot closer to the Clone Wars style than the standard style, they're just a bit smaller than them while still being larger than normal. I hope LEGO realizes that they don't need to make the eyes oversized or overdetailed to convey the differences in characters. Especially if by doing so they make the figures unappealing in general.
bigospedros

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say that, but to me, the only difference is that the eyebrows are actually touching the simple dots for eyes, rather than for the men figs, there's a space. It all just adds to it being a woman rather than anything else.

*edit*

I mean, compare Juno and Padme

differences are simply hair and touching eyebrows and eyes ... they're not quite Clone Wars-esque

And re-looking at the Emporer fig ... it seems that in reality it's just that the yellow on the new figure is just a bit bigger, possible to show him being even more evil and in a rage than before, to go with him having force lightning etc.

So, I say, the rest of the themes will stay as they are and CW-esque heads will stay in the CW theme. Which is fine by me, by the way ... the CW sets will be displayed separately in my collection Smile

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)

Last edited by bigospedros on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: