FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lego Star Wars: Reaching the End?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Lego Star Wars: Reaching the End? Reply with quote

I've beean hearing rumors of the Lego contract with Star Wars. Some say that after 2011, Lego has no intention of renewing the contract with LucasFilm and that these are the final years. I am just wondering if this is true or not.

Does anyone have any info related to this, or know if it false, or is basically a rumor?
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said. It's just a rumor. I know Lucas won't let Star Wars die in 2011, and so long as LEGO can make money off us they'll renew the license.
CaptMaarek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, this is a money maker for LEGO and has brought a lot of people out of retirement because they loved LEGO when they were a kid and now as an adult they have LEGO Star Wars, I know that is how I started back into it.

I can't see their books in what they take in on it, but I'd imagine it's not too shabby.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the fact that there's fresh materials, so the line will stay quite fresh until the Clone Wars stuff runs it's course.

And we all know that Lucas will young lady of dubious merit the franchise even more once that's done...
ChuckC
[WITNESS]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Nick here. I think Lucas will try and milk this cow for as much as its worth, and he's been doing it for years. I wouldn't be surprised if Lego and/or Lucasfilm attempted to extend the contract even further.

-Chuck
thrasher zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think LEGO is just playing hard to get, so that way once 2011 comes by, they can get a good deal on a license renewal. And as you guys have said, Lucas will milk Star Wars until the day he passes away, I can see him on his death bed directing Star Wars Epidode 5 and 2/3 of a quarter Wink The license will go on, with the Clone Wars series, and the live action series supposudly coming out in 2010. And Lucas is just going to milk this cow dry, and I mean dry. I have a question, does anyone know how the License renewal went in 05 (it was 05, right?), because that could show us how this one might go.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of me wishes they would stop, just so I can stop collecting and not have the urge to buy more. But I still love new Star Wars Lego regardless, so the magority of me doesn't want thi s to be true.
I don't believe they will stop the licence in 2011

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Sandtrooper Platoon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am positive that their will be an extension. The $ generated by Lego that fall into Lucas's wallet must be immense. He has got children to feed.

In fact, to add speculation about Lego's involvement with the SW franchise, here is some food for thought.
While watching "The Clone Wars" movie, I noticed a gun held by one of the troops that was a dead ringer for the Lego rifle (the larger of the two black rifles that came out with the Clone/Droid BP's). It makes me wonder which came first, the chicken or the egg? The battle packs have been out for a while and the animations would have been completed only recently. Did they animate the gun from Lego's design or vice versa.

Also, the placement of the new "shuttle" in what is essentially the first three episodes of the CW franchise, carrying the two clone scout troopers, is suspect. This would make a perfect chance to make a set with the new craft and two new minifigs. Makes you wonder.
JPCJedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandtrooper Platoon wrote:
It makes me wonder which came first....
I am of the opinion that the LEGO short blaster follows both the Grievance Striker and the E-11 carbine.

Still, nobody's pretending these movies aren't designed and destined for millions of franchise sales. It's the nature of the beast.
Gause

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milk the cow dry? Who is milking who? I would say that there is a chance that SW sets will become more limited in their release and that SW might not draw the same attention it did in 00-06 but Lego will make a comeback with "vintage" sets come due re-license time. Lego and SW is as strong as the glue that binds them and the glue is you. Continuous Lego sets that have lasted are Space, Medieval, Adventure and Structure/Construction. The question should be can Lego still sell the same figures with different color bricks for the same vehicle in a different movie time and time again? Lego will still be Lego as long as it does not bend its bricks to follow Lucas down a dead end (brick)road.

Gause
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gause wrote:
The question should be can Lego still sell the same figures with different color bricks for the same vehicle in a different movie time and time again?

Most definitely. Considering even many members here didn't get their first lego sets until a couple years ago, re-makes won't hurt Lego at all. Even with huge price increases, the CW sets are selling like hot cakes. If price doesn't persuade the consumer, nothing will.
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the SW license ends, they would probably do a more elaborate space theme.
Pepa Quin
The Falconer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind if they took a year off or so, but I'd like to see it continue.
WookieWarrior9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that the live action series is most likely to air in 2010 or 2011 and the promise of more animated series in the future (assuming the Clone Wars does well), I wouldn't be surprised if they re-upped.

endcreepyminifigfaces.blogspot.com
thrasher zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepa Quin wrote:
I wouldn't mind if they took a year off or so, but I'd like to see it continue.

I agree with you Quin, I would love for them to take a year break or so. It does get alittle annoying that once you save up the cash for the sets realesed in the summer, LEGO throws out the new winter sets, so if you don't have a job, etc, you have to constantly save up your money and you have to get the sets before they sell out, and it can get stressful at times.

So if LEGO could take a year break, allow us to save up the money, then start back up with some great ideas, that would be 100% okay with me. Anyone else know what I am saying?
zombly42
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, not being allowed to work and all. Still, next summer, I'll (hopefully) be able to work while I'm on the Isle of Man so I can save up some cash.
BLACKTRON

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thrasher wrote:

so if you don't have a job, etc, you have to constantly save up your money

I have a job (several), and I don't find it very easy either. If you can manage to keep up with half the sets without a job, you're doing AWFULLY well.

Quote:
and you have to get the sets before they sell out, and it can get stressful at times.

LEGO is probably not worth stress. This means MOCs take a lot longer to finish and you have to pick and choose your buys sparingly. Nonetheless, never let any hobby get stressful, or else you're ruining the point.
Darth Zach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m pretty sure the force will be with lego for a long time from now. No need to worry. Smile
Duckman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know...

Just about every year since the birth of the lego speeder bike, we have seen these questions asked, It has been going on for almost 9 years now, so don't sweat it.... 'Town' is/was profitable...How long is/did 'Town' go for..... I rest my case.

Fully Brick Models Ebay

Fully Brick Models Bricklink
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Town isn't licensed.
Duckman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThinkingImpaired wrote:
Town isn't licensed.

True, but thats not the bigger picture, what I mean is, if it is profitable, they will continue with it.

Fully Brick Models Ebay

Fully Brick Models Bricklink
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but they don't have to pay any outside company to make those products, so it can be less profitable and still make them more money than Star Wars. It also appeals to a wider audience because not everyone digs Star Wars but pretty much any parent can look at any town set and think "Hmm, my kid might like that."

Duckman, I'm not saying your wrong or anything, just that the Town analogy sucked. Wink
Voice of Reason

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
Yeah, but they don't have to pay any outside company to make those products, so it can be less profitable and still make them more money than Star Wars. It also appeals to a wider audience because not everyone digs Star Wars but pretty much any parent can look at any town set and think "Hmm, my kid might like that."

Duckman, I'm not saying your wrong or anything, just that the Town analogy sucked. Wink

It looks like LEGO still maintains a decent profit margin with Star Wars LEGO. A LEGO brand set is usually cheaper than a SW set with a comparable piece count. I always assumed the extra price for SW sets covered the licensing fee. With that in mind, paying an outside company for the license should not make much of a difference if LEGO keeps the same margin and passes the extra licensing charges to the consumer.
thrasher zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLACKTRON wrote:
the thrasher wrote:

so if you don't have a job, etc, you have to constantly save up your money

I have a job (several), and I don't find it very easy either. If you can manage to keep up with half the sets without a job, you're doing AWFULLY well.

Quote:
and you have to get the sets before they sell out, and it can get stressful at times.

LEGO is probably not worth stress. This means MOCs take a lot longer to finish and you have to pick and choose your buys sparingly. Nonetheless, never let any hobby get stressful, or else you're ruining the point.

Ya, mowing the grass and the occasional babysitting, doing things for neighbors etc is my means of money until March when I turn 16 and can FINALLY get a job. And as for what you said about the stress thing, your right, I shouldn't let it stress me out. Thanks. Smile

Anyway, now thinking about it, Star Wars is starting to be the same old thing. Once 2011 comes around, it will be re-realeses and maybe poorly designed sets. I hate to say it, but by 2011, I don't want Star Wars LEGO anymore, because it wont be as good. They are going to run out of ideas, and even though Lucas wants it to go on forever until every last penny is his, Star Wars will have to end one day or another. But hopefully thats AFTER episodes 7-9 are made Wink
cowboycoder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see no reason why either TLG or LucasArts wouldn't seek to renew the license beyond 2011. The only possibility is if George gets greedy and tries to up the fees, and TLG walks away. This would just leave the door open to MB, or similar, which I have to say, would kill it off fairly quickly. And I would hope that LucasArts is shrewd enough at what it does to realise this.

the thrasher wrote:
will be re-realeses and maybe poorly designed sets.

I'm not sure what loss of skill or vision you think will befall TLG's designers, but just look on Lugnet, or Brickset at the evolution of sets over the last ten years. Across all lines.
Yes, it's going to be re-releases, and the same iconic ships and figures over again. These are often improvements over the previous versions (which a quick search will show is debatable...), as TLG increases it's parts palette, and the designers use much more complex building techniques.
What has to be remembered is that the market for SW Lego is always being renewed, as kids grow up to enter the 'demographic'. So re-releases aren't an issue, and indeed if you don't re-release those iconic sets, it opens a hole in the range - imagine 3 years from now, someone moaning on this forum that they never had a chance to get an X-Wing, and don't want to pay eBay scalpers.

The SW Lego phenomenon should continue as long as both Lego and Star Wars are popular. The ongoing popularity of Lego is well documented, being labeled toy of the century and the like. It clearly taps into something in the human psyche.
To George's credit, Star Wars seems to do similar. I can't really think of any other modern story (okay, so it's quite an old plot line) that has held up so well over time. It captivates kids, and holds onto them. And has been doing for 30 years. It will probably last another 30.
And let's not forget that LucasArts also has to keep Star Wars fresh, which should provide TLG with more material to work with.

the thrasher wrote:
But hopefully thats AFTER episodes 7-9 are made Wink

Well, given it took three years per episode for 1-3, Even if they started filming today, it's be 2011 before it hit the cinemas... Confused

Having said all that, I too wish for an end. As a completist collector, it has truly tested my faith, and wallet. And this year I've had real SW Lego fatigue. I think in part due to some of the sets being a bit 'stretching the envelope' - such as that Black thing with battled damaged Vader Rolling Eyes . And part in due to Lego's own success, There's so many great lines now, back in 1999 SW Lego was the only line that didn't suck (apologies if I offend anyone, but from an AFOLs point of view, they were all aimed squarely at kids). SW Lego was something new, fresh and brilliant, and nearly 10 years on it's just as, if not more, popular.
thrasher zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowboycoder wrote:

the thrasher wrote:
will be re-realeses and maybe poorly designed sets.

I'm not sure what loss of skill or vision you think will befall TLG's designers, but just look on Lugnet, or Brickset at the evolution of sets over the last ten years. Across all lines.
Yes, it's going to be re-releases, and the same iconic ships and figures over again. These are often improvements over the previous versions (which a quick search will show is debatable...), as TLG increases it's parts palette, and the designers use much more complex building techniques.
What has to be remembered is that the market for SW Lego is always being renewed, as kids grow up to enter the 'demographic'. So re-releases aren't an issue, and indeed if you don't re-release those iconic sets, it opens a hole in the range - imagine 3 years from now, someone moaning on this forum that they never had a chance to get an X-Wing, and don't want to pay eBay scalpers.

What I meant by saying that was that if Lucas doesn't create something new, then LEGO wont have as many options. I I didn't necesarilly mean they would make bad sets, but they might get lazy after awhile doing the same thing over and over. But I see what you mean, there will always be a new audience of kids who never got that X-Wing or that Millenium Falcon, so there will always be people that will buy the sets. But remember, we have the new Live Action series in 2010, and that is sure to bring us some new sets, and maybe a License renewal, and then that means an empty wallet and the cycle continues Wink
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that says that it will "end" in 2011. But they said it would last in 2007 before untill they renewed the licence.
So I REALLY dougt it will end in 2011. Lego and Star Wars both make a good prophit out of this. They wouldn't throw it away.
After all Star Wars is one of Lego's highest selling themes.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
xwingyoda

Location: An X-Wing crashed in the Eiffel Tower - not the Vegas one !!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reallty can't see TLCC not renewing the license I have to say.

Ir was SW which really saved TLG and still make a huge part of their benefits. So killing the golden egg chicken would be stupid IMO.

Also there is still a lot that need to be done from the OT and PT + add the Force Unleasehed video game, the Clone Wars series and the live action series: a huge set potential that can expand to numerous years after 2011.

I would be seriously pissed to see that line end so soon.

Yoda

My BS Folder & Flickr
HothTrooper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key thing to remember in discussions of license renewal, is that Lucasfilm (or more accurately Lucas Licensing) holds all the cards. Even if the Star Wars line is still profitable for LEGO in 2011 and they want to renew the license, Lucas Licensing has to give LEGO the opportunity to renew the license or else there's nothing LEGO can do to continue the Star Wars line.
Old Republic
Master Jedi [VET]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if it were to be renewed again. If Star Wars is still relevant and selling that is, and it will be. Hasn't it been said that average lifespan of a normal* LEGO player is five years? That's why a remake is a good thing every four to five years, there is a new crop coming in and an old one going out. Star Wars is what gets consumers into the LEGO aisle in the first place and that's how the other themes are exposed to mom, dads and grandparents. You know, the people who don't care about it and don't pore over pics on the internets.

*not US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: