FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7673 Magna Guard Starfighter Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: 7673 Magna Guard Starfighter Review Reply with quote

I got this set almost a week ago, and I'm surprised it hasn't been reviewed yet. This is my first review, so go easy on the criticism. Sorry, no pics unless some one can tell me how to upload pics from my desktop.
Sad (I have Windows XP, I think.(I just sounded like Episode I Anakin Laughing ))

[b]Parts[/b]

I personally don't scrap sets for parts, but this set has lots of unique pieces. The most obvious example is the canopy and the cord-type things on top of the wing-type things. But there are some awesome vents on the sides of the wings. Also many rarely seen pieces. Most every piece is either dark bley or light bley, but there are also some tan and RED Shocked bricks for you scrapers.

[b]Minifigs[/b]

A lot of fans would rather the Magna Guards look like they did in the LSW video game, but I actually prefer these. They droid bodies are amazing. The heads is very detailed. Part of the cape is attatched to the head and is plastic, but most of it is cloth. The figure actually looks quite good without the cloth part of the cape. Whenever I take the Electrostaffs out of the ship, I put the purple cones on the end that is in the holder. It just looks short and weird otherwise.

[b]Detail[/b]

All I've got to go on is a picture from Wookieepedia as for how it's supposed to look. It looks pretty good, a little too bulky if anything. The detail on the wing-things is amazing. My only complaints are that there is no dashboard in the cockpit, and that a lot of the details are made by stickers Evil or Very Mad.

[b]Playability[/b]

Very swooshable for its size. No other ship this size can swoosh quite like this one. Just be careful 'cause if you drop it, some of the pieces are fragile, and will come off easily (I don't know this for sure. And I don't want to test it). I like getting out the staffs by raising up the tops of the wing-things. I don't know why the missiles fire backwards. Confused Maybe they do in the movie Question . My only complaint is that while the capes are stiff, you have to take them off to get one of the droids in the cockpit. But, as I said earlier, they look fine without them, and I usually just put both capes on the other droid. Smile

[b]Price to Parts[/b]

All of us Americans are whining about inflated Clone Wars set prices. But this price is pretty fair. Going by the $.10 per piece rule, this should be $43.10, so its price of $44.99 isn't bad at all. I was lucky to get it at Target on sale for $40.99 Very Happy

[b]Availability[/b]

I've been to three Targets in the past few weeks, and all of them had loads of these. On the LEGO Star Wars endcap, they shared a shelf with the V-19 Torrent, and they were stocked all the way to the back. On they LEGO aisle, the had two shelf spaces and each had them stocked halfway back. I don't think we need worry about these running out any time soon Smile .

[b]Overall[/b]

This set is one of my favorite sets yet. I would have payed $60 if I had to. The figs are awesome, the ship is awesome. It all boils down to one thing: (Bold and capitalized for emphasis Smile )

Ratings

Parts--------------9/10------Great for scrappers
Minifigs-----------8/10------Better than the video game
Detail-------------8/10------True to Wookieepedia at least. But stickers Evil or Very Mad
Playability--------9/10------Swooshability is the center of this set!
Price to Parts----8/10-------Best of the Clone Wars
Availability-------10/10-----You'll have no problems finding this
Overall-----------9/10-------Don't worry about me being partial to this ship. Its not in the movies and the Clone Wars doesn't come out for a few days.

Last edited by TK-425 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:46 am; edited 3 times in total
Gaia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MagnaGuards are really cool.

The Utapaun Porax-38 starfighter isn't such a popular fighter for now so if it's not for a Lego scene with the Anakin freighter, I could still wonder why so expected figs were released with an expensive ship.

My guess is it's so because this set is aimed at AFOLSWs.

I won't bet for popularity among children because of the price.
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon, can anyone tell me if I can upload pics from Olympus Master 2 to the forum. If you do I'll post PICS.
greivous

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 7673 Magna Guard Starfighter Review Reply with quote

Think Ill pass on this one. And is it just me or do the magnadroids seem very megablocky :/

Good review BTW

Its Lego, not Legos!
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their actually not as bad as you think. I can show you if I ever figure out how to get pics on here.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to upload pictures to a hosting website like photbucket, brickshelf, or flickr - then embed the url between the image tags. It's pretty basic forum info and covered in multiple places in here and on google.
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Sorry. I don't think I can. But maybe.
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'you think someone could tell me how to upload pics to Brickshelf. I'd like to know before I get an account. I also have trouble with links. (TEST: http://www.blackle.com (the energy saving Google search) The energy saving search)

EDIT: I did it! YAY!!!!!
Reaper

Location: Dwelling in the darkness making goofy faces at everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile, but it's like any other host site. Just simply go to the upload section and click whatever file you want to upload. You can create separate folders for whatever you want to upload. Naming those folders is rather a pain though since they don't allow spaces if I remember right.

Honestly go with Flickr all you need is a yahoo account and bam you've got flickr. They also allow group uploads so if you have dial up you don't have to sit there for hours waiting to upload dozens of pics.
TK-425
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably on the weekend, I'll get a Brickshelf or Flickr and get pics up.
FoxPrimus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bought it finally! And I love it! the parts are great, the figures do not disappoint at all. And to be honest I'm very happy to see all of Lego's sets this year have actual functions and special gimmicks like landing gear, pop up cockpits, launching missiles, and more little noise boxes!! (set # 8634) look it up it's a must buy!
liquidcross

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review. I wasn't keen on this set at first, but it's grown on me; even the Magnaguard minifigs, which I actually hated at first. Now, I must buy it...once I get the necessary cash, of course. Smile

Brickshelf
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: