FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catchin' Up With the Times and Needing Recommendations

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zombacho
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Catchin' Up With the Times and Needing Recommendations Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I've been out of touch with the Lego part of Lego Star Wars, which means I have no idea which sets are currently out, which ones are good, and which ones are worth the money.

With a birthday coming up and a trip to Minnesota (hellooo Mall of America Very Happy), I would love to hear your opinions of SW sets and what you would recommend me to buy (or for the parents to buy me).

Anything overpriced is definitely out of the question though. I'd say anything above $40 is pushing it.

I can tell you for sure that I dislike realistic, anime-style heads on my minifigures. Since I haven't bought any sets since late 2005, it shouldn't be any trouble for me to find new sets.

Thank you!

『 <3 』
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, what are you after? Clone Wars or Galactic Civil War? And then of course, you have the 2 sides...

If you want Something Clone Warsy, the only ones under 40 quid are the homing spider droid, and I think the droid gunship and the TX-130 tank.

Maybe get a couple of battle packs, from either era, becasue that gives you more variety of figs.

Hope that helps, but if you give more info about what you're thinking of or looking for, I can rack the old brain cells, and peeron, some more. Very Happy
bigospedros

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the fact that he said he doesn't like anime heads kind of rules out all of the Clone Wars sets, no ?

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
zombacho
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like I've disqualified Clone Wars sets because of the minifigure designs...

But still, if the ship itself is awesome, I'll take it! I'm looking for any set you think is awesome. Galactic Civil War or Clone Wars, I'll take them both.

Battle packs sound good! I do want to get a nice vehicle of some kind.

Thanks, Jake!

『 <3 』
michealearlwillard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might have the UCS AT-ST in stock, its clearanced at $50 which is over your limit, but not too much. They can shop and ship it for free to you as well.
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CommanderJake wrote:
If you want Something Clone Warsy, the only ones under 40 quid are the homing spider droid, and I think the droid gunship and the TX-130 tank.

The TX-130 is actually 49.99. Sad
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want cheap. Stormtrooper and Rebel Battlepacks ALL the way. The ships are cool and fun. And the figures are just great.

Another cheaper one that doesn't include the cartoon faces..would be the Hailfire Droid and Spider Droid set.

It's hard to find alot of sets under $40 this year, and also its even harder to find sets without the Clone Wars minifgure style.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigospedros wrote:
i think the fact that he said she doesn't like anime heads kind of rules out all of the Clone Wars sets, no ?

Wink ... And not necessarily, there's always the droid gunship. No poeple, just battle droids, and it's a nifty lookin ship too...

The oldish A-Wing redo is good and cheap, as is the TIE interceptor. However, the TIE tends to be fall apart if picked up by the cockpit roof, so it loses there...

The Y-Wing might be a tad expensive for you Americans, I'm not sure, but it's worth a look, maybe... Also goes for the new AT-ST.

Everything else I can think of is over 40 quid, but I hope this shortlist helps.
The Master Zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CommanderJake wrote:
The oldish A-Wing redo is good and cheap, as is the TIE interceptor. However, the TIE tends to be fall apart if picked up by the cockpit roof, so it loses there...

My one doesn't fall apart. Anyway, shouldn't you pick it up by the cockpit from underneath? Seems logical. Neutral
thrasher zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know your saying that you don't like the anime type figures, but I highly recomend saving up money to get a few Clone Wars sets, they are definatly something you don't want to pass up. The AT-TE and Gunship are great sets, I'm saving up for the Gunship currently. And the anime faces are not as bad as I thought they would be, but you could always sell them if you want. Because once these CW sets are gone, we will most likely never see them again, except for outrages prices on Ebay Wink
Voice of Reason

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say bite the bullet and preorder the upcoming UCS Death Star set for $400. Justify it by saying this will be the only LEGO set you will ever want to buy. Think of all the money you'll save in the future.
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or don't get it and think of all the money you'll save with an extra $400.
Gingerbeard Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thrasher wrote:
And the anime faces are not as bad as I thought they would be, but you could always sell them if you want.

Basically only the Jedi (Anakin, Obi-Wan & Co) suffer from the anime faces. The clones all have these nice helmets to cover up their ugly mugs...

The new clones do have a different look, but there is nothing really "anime" about them (until you take the helmet off). So with sets like the TX-130S, V-19 Torrent or Spider Droid there is no reason at all to worry about anime faces. Wink
(Of course the Droid Gunship and MagnaGuard Starfighter are also anime-free, simply because there are no human minifigs in those sets.)
Darth's Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest getting the new Clone Wars sets already opened without the minifigures. This would be the best way to save some money and avoid the figures you don't like.
The V-19 is great and is going for less than $40 on E-bay if you buy just the ship without the figure.

Other great recently made great sets are the 6212 X-wing (but it's the same as the 4502 if you already have it), 6209 Boba Fett Slave 1 (only used would get you under $40), 6207 A-wing, 6208 B-wing, 7660 Naboo Fighter, 7658 Y-wing, 7659 Imperial Landing Craft and the 7656 General Grievous Starfighter.

Also, if you can squeeze more cash together, the 6211 Star Destroyer was a must have, but it's MSRP was $99.99 US and they are going for a large markup everywhere now.

Hope this helps!
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all have been VERY helpful! Thanks for all the recommendations Smile

So what I'm getting is, the Clone Wars sets are fine, save for some of the core characters' faces.

If I'm not mistaken, A-Wings probably aren't available in the Lego store. I want to buy something that's out in stores right now without having to go online. I've never made a purchase on Ebay before, and I don't think I will soon for the time being.

Let's see...

My favorite type of vehicle is the Walker! So if it starts with AT, I am interested. I'm looking at the AT-AP ($40), AT-ST ($20) and the AT-ST ($50). If I choose from those three, I will most likely get the cheapest Smile

The battle packs look adorable!! I might get two of them if I do not buy a vehicle. But spending $20 on one vehicle sounds better than spending the same amount on two small battle packs.

Thanks everyone.

I'm still open to suggestions! I'll gladly take 'em till Thursday night Very Happy

『 <3 』
Voice of Reason

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nacho wrote:
You all have been VERY helpful! Thanks for all the recommendations Smile

So what I'm getting is, the Clone Wars sets are fine, save for some of the core characters' faces.

If I'm not mistaken, A-Wings probably aren't available in the Lego store. I want to buy something that's out in stores right now without having to go online. I've never made a purchase on Ebay before, and I don't think I will soon for the time being.

Let's see...

My favorite type of vehicle is the Walker! So if it starts with AT, I am interested. I'm looking at the AT-AP ($40), AT-ST ($20) and the AT-ST ($50). If I choose from those three, I will most likely get the cheapest Smile

The battle packs look adorable!! I might get two of them if I do not buy a vehicle. But spending $20 on one vehicle sounds better than spending the same amount on two small battle packs.

Thanks everyone.

The UCS AT-ST is the most impressive of the three, but all are good sets.

I'm still open to suggestions! I'll gladly take 'em till Thursday night Very Happy

ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually get a couple battlepacks than get the $20 AT-ST. It only has 1 figure, virtually no playability (It can't even walk) and not much in the way of parts. I would suggest (even though you want a walker) GG's Starfighter. 20 dollars for a well-designed ship with interesting parts, good playability (It doesn't have that much, truth be told, but at least you can swoosh it) and General Greivous.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you can find those sets. Those are part of last years line, so finding them could be hard at certain stores.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen GG's starfighter at various Targets recently, and I when I said "battlepacks", I was referring to the 2008 ones.
zombacho
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I...

SPLURGED like crazy.

I spent over $120 on Darth Vader's Advanced Tie Fighter (my 1st UCS!), a Darth Vader pen, and an Imperial Dropship.

So much fo $40 -_-

All of you helped me decide, and spend more money than I should've Smile

Thanks!

『 <3 』
BrainMattR
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nacho wrote:
So much fo $40 -_-

All of you helped me decide, and spend more money than I should've Smile

First, welcome back! Second, while my birthday isn't until November, plan on only spending $5 on me so it ends up being about $20... Wink
DarkZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nacho wrote:
...a Darth Vader pen, and an Imperial Dropship.

I have one of those pens too, aren't they cute? Gave mine a little saber. I also have an R2 one, which you can basically use like a regular minifig. I spent $50 today on 2 Dropships and 3 Rebel speeders, since I've been having a LEGO drought too. And wanted a Rogue Shadow, but couldn't find one.
starwars88

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the Death Star playset,Taj Mahal, and the Millenium Falcon.All of them are way over your budget, but Taj Mahal is not Star Wars,but worth it.

The Ability to Type Does Not Make You Intelligent!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: