FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

There are thieves among us. A Gunship tale of woe.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voice of Reason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: There are thieves among us. A Gunship tale of woe. Reply with quote

Some of you know I have been buying and selling parted out Gunships, AT-TEs, and Sandcrawlers. I make about $20 to $30 over the top of what I paid. Not much, but it adds up (and takes a lot of time). That money had been set aside to buy a RGS and AT-TE for myself.

I finally got close to my mark, so went to Target today to pick up mine.

I opened the Gunship at home to find that the set had been opened, the contents replaced with the parts for two Magna Droid fighters (minus the Magna Droids and a few other parts, and then glued shut again. The seals were intact. The box looked perfect (I know, I check for the best box condition). What someobody had done was carefully pried apart the glued side of the box, removed and replaced parts, then reglued it.

I felt disgusted. I'm pretty sure an adult did this, since it was too neat of a job for a kid. Maybe a teen.

Anyway, Target exchanged the set even though I knew they would have to take my word on what happened.
Captain Ausome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Shocked That is just disgusting. I hate people who do things like this. It gives us Lego fans a bad name. How hard would it be for the person to just save up a little money instead of doing that. Its just sad. Sad

At least they accepted your return. Where i live they would just say thats a load of crap and send me home.
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's the kind of world we live in...I don't have a car right now so I've had to bike to work and last night when my shift was over I found someone snapped the kickstand off and shifted the gears. Thank goodness the only thing broken was the kickstand. Rolling Eyes
zombly42
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scumbags. Rolling Eyes I hope that this never happens to you again - I've been relatively lucky as there's only 1 other FOL that I know of where I live.
Swoosh Zombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that they would replace the parts with those of a new and also valuable set, and not say, Mega Bloks and dryer lint. Confused
RebelZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was me. Ha ha funny, right?

Wink
Voice of Reason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swoosh Factor wrote:
Strange that they would replace the parts with those of a new and also valuable set, and not say, Mega Bloks and dryer lint. Confused

I wondered that too. They might as well have thrown a few rocks in or something. The Magna sets they threw in (manuals and all) were missing the Magna Droids. Somebody bought two Magna Droid ship only sets from me for $50 ($25 ea.), but $50 is nowhere near close to the $125 or so I paid.

What if I was a kid who got this set? Imagine the tears of disappointment he or she would have felt. i think of that, but whoever did this obviously did not. $125 worth of LEGO is a small price for someone's integrity. I rest easy thinking that this person will sometime pay for his or her actions in some for or another.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it. Everyone grab a pitchfork or a torch.
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!! Burn them to the ground, and impale them with the pitchfork!! Death to all of those who dare to break the seal of the cherished LEGO trea-

Oh, you were kidding...

oh..

Whoops..
Captain Fordo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:

Amen Don. People who do crap like this make me sick, what if someone bought one of them for christmas and the kid opened it up and it had megabloks and a sign that said "HAHA!" Piece of trash person, they should burn in the megabloks factory (worse than hell).

Previously Known as Commander Bacara...but I forgot my password :\.
Voice of Reason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:

Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that sucks. Glad it went well at end.

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
HoboBob1138

Location: In a cardboard box on the corner of 'Omless and Buhm street

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youll never find a more retched hive of scum and villany than at the retail level. Believe me i worked two years at Wal Mart with the cell phones and people would lie theyre butts off about everything. At least they exchanged it
mshiels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is exactly why we take no returns/exchanges of LEGO at our physical store at all. PERIOD. The worst thing would be for someone to re-seal a box, then I ship it around the world to someone else, and rip them off etc. SO WE DO NOT RISK IT!

But we have been ripped off a few times with stuff bought at the LEGO stores in USA as well, very nicely hot glued boxes, that looked fine, but when opened for my own pleasure, were missing figs, or major portions of the parts etc.
Voice of Reason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mshiels wrote:
And this is exactly why we take no returns/exchanges of LEGO at our physical store at all. PERIOD. The worst thing would be for someone to re-seal a box, then I ship it around the world to someone else, and rip them off etc. SO WE DO NOT RISK IT!

But we have been ripped off a few times with stuff bought at the LEGO stores in USA as well, very nicely hot glued boxes, that looked fine, but when opened for my own pleasure, were missing figs, or major portions of the parts etc.

So I see this is not an isolated problem.

What is your store?
RE687

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for Target's loss prevention department. People do this kind of return fraud all the time. I've seen a guy return a Bose surround sound system with logs inside of it and get away with it. I've also seen iPods being returned with their contents removed and replaced with various things. Its really unfortunate this happened to you. There are people out there who will do anything for money.
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's my problem with the whole story. Yes, people would do just about anything for monry, but what was this guy getting out of this? He obviously had to have bought 2 magnaguard starfighters, and that totals up to $90.00.

"Whoo-hoo! I just saved 30 bucks by replacing the RGS with two magnaguard starfighters, and I will probably break some poor little kid's heart, but I saved, like, 30 whole dollars! I'm such an a-hole! Yay!"
Voice of Reason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE687 wrote:
I work for Target's loss prevention department. People do this kind of return fraud all the time. I've seen a guy return a Bose surround sound system with logs inside of it and get away with it. I've also seen iPods being returned with their contents removed and replaced with various things. Its really unfortunate this happened to you. There are people out there who will do anything for money.

I'm curious - is there any follow up on something like this? Can the store look up who has returned a set and do anything? I'm sure not a lot of people have been returning this particular LEGO set and it must have been recent.
Voice of Reason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flynn wrote:
Well, here's my problem with the whole story. Yes, people would do just about anything for monry, but what was this guy getting out of this? He obviously had to have bought 2 magnaguard starfighters, and that totals up to $90.00.

"Whoo-hoo! I just saved 30 bucks by replacing the RGS with two magnaguard starfighters, and I will probably break some poor little kid's heart, but I saved, like, 30 whole dollars! I'm such an a-hole! Yay!"

He / she got more than that. Besides getting all the RGS set, they also got 4 Magna Guard figures, which sell for about $18 to $20 a piece on eBay right now. Some other pieces were missing from what I could tell. The two long slopes were not there.

But yes, the financial gain is small. What a petty thing to do.
Zombie Fett
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sickens me. If I ever walk into a store and see someone doing this, I'm going to just punch them right in the face.
HoboBob1138

Location: In a cardboard box on the corner of 'Omless and Buhm street

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice of Reason wrote:

I'm curious - is there any follow up on something like this? Can the store look up who has returned a set and do anything? I'm sure not a lot of people have been returning this particular LEGO set and it must have been recent.

Im not sure about anywhere else, but no. It would be next to imposible to keep up with all the customers who return something. In the cell phone dept at wal mart where i worked we could keep up with at least cell phone returns because of serial numbers, but only on contracts where the name was tied to a specific phone. It would be nice to be able to do this with everything, but then it would get out of hand with everything have a number, and everyone leaving their name. Sometimes if you dont have a receipt wal mart will take something back with your drivers license number, but even then there is still no way to track item a with person b. Thats the sad way it is
etcknight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I triple this remark. I can't believe people would do this kind of crap. And Voice of Reason is right, the true people who get hurt are the kids. Evil or Very Mad

Guess this explains why Target recently has insisted on breaking the seals on the Lego sets I return. At first I was wondering, "What the heck?! You just messed up the set!"; but in light of this, I guess I can understand. I always wondered if we could just sell toys using tickets through plastic windows instead (like video games) to prevent all this ridiculous shop-lifting? Wink

Voice of Reason wrote:
DonSolo wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice of Reason wrote:
RE687 wrote:

Without going into too much detail, Target has the capacity to do this. If that store has a good LP team, than its been reported.
Mr self destruct

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be hard for Target or any other retailer to track this. I remember a guy in Florida who would buy a Star Wars set, take it to his car and return to the lego section, pick up the same set and walk back out and wasn't caught until they noticed that there stock was abnormally low.

Luckily they caught they guy and after they questioned him they found out he would take 150.00 worth of Lego sets home a week. Truly a wonderful human being.
Swoosh Zombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft! That's small potatoes compared to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Swanberg
Zombiesoup64
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swoosh Factor wrote:
Pfft! That's small potatoes compared to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Swanberg

Wow, some people have the craziest schemes. Here's one: Why don't you get a real job?

[quote="Rook"]Can they hire someone who can at least build a ship with a windshield. Idiots.
[/quote]
xwingyoda

Location: An X-Wing crashed in the Eiffel Tower - not the Vegas one !!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats a weird story !!

I guess its an employee who was suppose to shelve the sets that was responsible for that action Wink I mean they are alone and access to all the sets backstage so its easy for them to do that and make big bucks selling that set later on.

Glad that they exchanged it for you Wink

Yoda

My BS Folder & Flickr
Lego Apple

Location: Behind the Mayonaise, to the left of the coleslaw, right of the potato salad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just burns me up to see people dropping so low to the average expectations of humanity, not thinking nor caring who they will effect.

I am very sad to hear this chaotic disorder has happened to you TVOR. I am, however, very glad to hear that you got everything settled out in the end.

Ok I'm with Don. Lets "borrow" the box, get a DNA analysis on the box (which will show 2 sets of fingerprints no doubt, TVOR's and the criminal's) then track this man down and give him the worst wedgie of his life.
Or something along those lines...

Lego "Granny Smith" Apple
jdwest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if someone had bought that set to keep MISB to give to their kid when they were old enough, only to open it 9-14 years later and find what you found.

ThinkingImpaired wrote:
Yeah that's the kind of world we live in...I don't have a car right now so I've had to bike to work and last night when my shift was over I found someone snapped the kickstand off and shifted the gears. Thank goodness the only thing broken was the kickstand. Rolling Eyes

I know how you feel. I bought a brand-new bike once, and it was stolen from me the next day. I chained it to a rack on a busy university campus in broad daylight, and it was gone in less than 30 min.

What is the world coming to?
Munchy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bought any of the new sets yet but don't they have the security tape on them or did they stop with that?

In the past, when I've found broken, tampered, or non-existant tape on sets at TRU and Target, I've alerted staff to those boxes and in two instances a LP person (at Target) has openned the box to find the sets tampered with.

Think of the mother/father who buys a set and takes it home to find the set incomplete. LEGO, through no fault of theirs, will bear some of the blame for the theft. The parents will regail their story to freinds and family and it will go something like this...

"Bought a LEGO set from Target. Thing was incomplete. Kid was really disappointed. Not gonna buy another set and take that chance again."

Real shame.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: