FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7676: Republic Attack Gunship
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Fordo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: 7676: Republic Attack Gunship Reply with quote

Now for my second review of a Clone Wars set. This set was a fairly straight-forward build, and it was seperated very similarly to the original (Body, Doors, Head, Top, cockpit Area, Wings) In that order. This one dwarfs the original in size and detail. They also got the look of it down right down to the little nose flap.

Parts: The parts were very good, easily allowing you to make a custom Republic vehicle of a custom nature. No complaints in this area, and hey I even got an extra pair of Assaj's lightsabers and not one but two clone accessory bags.

Minifigs: Cody and the regular clone are pure un-contaminated awesomeness. The same for Plo Koon (who is a rubber-head like Kit) and for all of you who wonder why his aperatus sticks out so much, it is so he is able to turn his head like a normal figure (I think) because if they were to close he wouldn't be able to turn his head at all. Obi-Wan is alright, I thought he'd be much worse, but I like him more than Anakin, personally. Assaj Ventress is in the same boat, her face print's pretty nice for the CW faces, I like it anyways, and the skirt is pure genious. Figures are good in my book, I have warmly accepted the CW figs.

Detail: The detail is pretty good (as it should be for a gorram TRU-increased 130$ Evil or Very Mad ) But...as with all new sets I find one thing that just chills me to the bone with this set...they have one name...one terrible...terrible name...stickers. Not even the little circular pieces were printed! I refuse to use stickers on my Legos, sorry that's just me, end of story...but the detail is still good even without stickers.

Playability: It's got the swoosh factor and I've already played out my own little Gunship Cavalry scene (Clones > Droids). I unfortuneately dropped it, but to my amazement only a little bit of the nose and a wing came off Shocked, I just snapped them back on and went on my business (the legos were less stuck together so I had to smush them back to being firmly held, but otherwise they were okay!) Either the LEGO gods love me or this set is pretty durable. Great factor here. The speeder bike is by far the best one TLC has ever made (though its ability to stay in the RGS without bouncing around is questionable.) The exploration pod is...meh...I could have done with a weapons storage in the nose of the ship instead. And the bacta tank stays in the RGS very firmly, it doesn't budge when you're swooshing, so don't worry about it falling out.

Price to Parts: I don't know...I think 120$ (130$ Evil or Very Mad ) Is a decent price for this set. This reviewer approves of this price. Though not TRU's Evil or Very Mad.

Availability: Biggest set of the new line, very easy to find now that they're out.

Parts: 10/10
Minifigs: 9/10 (I like Obi-Wan, but I don't LOVE him)
Detail: 8/10 (I HATE STICKERS!!!)
Playability: 9.5/10
Price to parts: 10/10 (8/10 for TRU Evil or Very Mad )
Availability: 10/10
OVERALL RATING: 9/10

A very nice set! Pick it up whether you missed the original or not! Trust me!

Previously Known as Commander Bacara...but I forgot my password :\.
Zombieknight56
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh trust me, it may take some time, but I WILL get this set. Very Happy
NecronCommander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review. I'll probably pick this one up before the AT-TE.
Just one question: How difficult would it be to mod this set so it could pick up an AT-TE?
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review, but pity you don't include any pictures.

FlickrBrickshelf
Captain Fordo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The set would be fairly difficult to make into an LAAT/c but hey giving it a try wouldn't hurt. And I should have some pictures of both sets I reviewed up either today or tomorrow.

AJ.Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just built it this morning so here:

Parts: 9/10
Minifigs: 7/10 2 clones and an ugly lady...
Detail: 8/10 stickers are bad and I didn't put them on for my modding reasons but it has many cool little thingamajogs like the probe droid like things
Playability: 10/10 nothing bad
Price to parts: 8/10 110 bucks for 1033 pieces is not that good compared to my MTT which had 1130 for 10 dollars less
Availability: 10/10 everywhere store had it
OVERALL RATING: 9/10 My AT-TE goes wll with it! Takes me(an expert speed builder) 3 hrs to build while eating and watching TV
lordvader208

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well seeing that I have the old republic gunship, I'm not so sure if im gonna be getting this one, especially because it costs a whopping $120. Although you said that the new one dwarfs the old one in size, I looked at the pictures and it doesnt seem like it is that much bigger. Maybe a few studs higher and longer, but I think that's it if I'm not wrong. Anyways, the only thing that makes me really want this set is the minifigs and I don't think I'm willing to churn out $120 for the minifigs unless this set is really a lot better than the old one. Does anyone who owns both the old and the new RGS think this new one is a TON better, or if I should just stick with my old one and save for the AT-TE. Also, does anyone here have a comparison photo with the new next to the old so I can see how much bigger it is? Either way, I still love my old RGS even though all the stickers have already peeled off.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=lordvader208
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
AJ.Z

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordvader208 wrote:
Well seeing that I have the old republic gunship, I'm not so sure if im gonna be getting this one, especially because it costs a whopping $120. Although you said that the new one dwarfs the old one in size, I looked at the pictures and it doesnt seem like it is that much bigger. Maybe a few studs higher and longer, but I think that's it if I'm not wrong. Anyways, the only thing that makes me really want this set is the minifigs and I don't think I'm willing to churn out $120 for the minifigs unless this set is really a lot better than the old one. Does anyone who owns both the old and the new RGS think this new one is a TON better, or if I should just stick with my old one and save for the AT-TE. Also, does anyone here have a comparison photo with the new next to the old so I can see how much bigger it is? Either way, I still love my old RGS even though all the stickers have already peeled off.

Dude I had the old one and it was not as cool looking as this one. The old one whas bulkier and a little blocky while this is new and well rounded. If you see it on sale or can get a 10% off at target, go for it.
Zombiegoo
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordvader208 wrote:
Although you said that the new one dwarfs the old one in size, I looked at the pictures and it doesnt seem like it is that much bigger. Maybe a few studs higher and longer, but I think that's it if I'm not wrong.

Well, it might be just the perspective, but the new one looks quite a bit larger than a few studs:

(Image from a review from Eurobricks)
lordvader208

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture Galagoo. It certainly looks somewhat bigger, but it might just be that the camera is closer to the new RGS. Not to mention that the old RGS in the picture is missing a ton of pieces and all the flaps on the new one are opened to make it look a little bigger than it actually is. Is there any photo that shoes them side by side with the camera in the middle of the two?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lordvader208

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I went on S&H to look up the dimensions of the new gunship and they were just about the same as when I measured them on my old gunship. The new one is 14" x 17" x 7" while when i measured mine, I found it to be 14" x 16.5" x 6.5", so its actually pretty close. And no, i did not count the guns in the front nor the ones in the back when i measured it.

Big Cam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got the extra 2 lightsabers and clone accesories bag, I don't think it was a mistake.
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone done a size comparison of the new RAG and the Droid Gunship?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Cam wrote:
I also got the extra 2 lightsabers and clone accesories bag, I don't think it was a mistake.

Did you get an extra bag of guns, visors, helmet acessories too? I was happy to get a couple extra guns bcause after all, lego only gives you 2 little clones
Captain Fordo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in the RGS set there is an extra bag of clone acessories.

Zomkeeken
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ.Z wrote:
Big Cam wrote:

Did you get an extra bag of guns, visors, helmet acessories too? I was happy to get a couple extra guns bcause after all, lego only gives you 2 little clones

You do realize that the answer to your question is in the text that you quoted? As he mentions that he got an extra clone accesories bag along with 2 extra lightsabers.

Let's Go Ducks!
AJ.Z

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chill, ok? I was surprised that specifically 4 different indidvuals including him got an extra bag too...

Alec
Zomkeeken
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an extra bag with my Gunship too. It was no mistake by TLG, they gave everyone an extra bag.

Let's Go Ducks!
lordvader208

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well too bad the chances for me getting the new gunship are extremely slim because I have parents that don't want me to buy too many, if any at all, legos and I don't have the kind of money for that. But I will try my best to get an AT-TE and therefore an extra bag, I believe.

Zomkeeken
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a short summary of my thoughts regarding this set.

Parts: 9/10
Minifigs: 10/10
Detail: 8/10
Playability: 10/10
Price to parts: 9/10
Availability: 10/10
OVERALL RATING: 9.5/10

Conclusion: This is one of the best sets that I have gotten in a long time. I don't think that I have been this pleased with a set, other than the battlepacks, since Imperial Inspection. In my opinion, it is much better than the original RGS. I would recommend this set to everyone, especially if they didn't get the original RGS.

Let's Go Ducks!
lordvader208

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow seems like this set really IS good and totally worth the price. The only problem is that I have money for either the AT-TE OR the RGS and it will be hard to get both without lots of begging to my parents. The thing is that I missed out on the old AT-TE and I should take this opportunity to get one. Someday, I hope to get this gunship and display it along with my old one.

ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the fulfillment of a longtime desire for me. When Episode II came out, I wanted a LEGO RGS. I never got one because it was too expensive and I had no money. Now I have moneys, and I got me a gunship. It's too big scale-wise, but it's an awesome big set with lots of features and excellent minifigs. It even has a brand new speeder bike. I'm willing to forgive the stickers. I'm willing to forgive the lack of clones. This is one of the best sets ever released. It reminds me of the older sets where there was storage space everywhere, but this has new parts usage and is a very well-designed set. If you like the ship, get this set. If you hate the animated style, this set has very little of it. The clones' heads cover their faces, Plo has a passably non-animated head, and Obi Wan is an easy head swap.

Parts: 9/10 Nice variety of white, bley and reds, lime green, curved slopes, lots of accessories for the Clones, Asajj's hilts, Plo's head, and the brown motorcycle body for the speeder bike.
Minifigs: 9/10 Includes several for-now unique figures (Cody, Plo Koon, Asajj, Obi Wan) but could have used a couple more clones or at least a pilot.
Detail: 10/10 stickers actually look great on it and the ship itself looks great.
Playability: 10/10 Aside from swooshability (assuming you can pick it up) it has a speeder bike, bacta pod, and mini command center, plus flick-fire missiles and so many opening panels.
Price to parts: 9.5/10 Slightly above price/parts standard, but has a lot of new molds and plenty of Clone accessories.
Availability: 10/10 Available now.
OVERALL RATING: 9.5/10 A perfect set would have had more clones, but it's definitely a must-have if you don't have the old version, even if it's animated style.
KitFisto007

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the little droids that come with the gunship? Are they probes, or what? I have no clue...
Zomkeeken
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFisto007 wrote:
What are the little droids that come with the gunship? Are they probes, or what? I have no clue...

According to the description on Shop at Home, they are suppose to be spy droids. See 2nd to last bullet in LEGO's description.

Let's Go Ducks!
Cei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the new RGS, despite the plentiful stickers, which really should have been printed in some cases. However, my RGS seems to have one big flaw - the pilot canopies don't open as planned, but simply come off the hinge due to too much tension - anybody else got this problem?

Oh, and the wing bubbles are poorly done - any minfigs in them rattle around as there's no studs to sit them on Sad
Zomkeeken
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Cei

I have the same problem with my copilot canopy. The pilot one works fine, but the copilot one just breaks off the hinge.

Let's Go Ducks!
AJ.Z

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cei wrote:
Loving the new RGS, despite the plentiful stickers, which really should have been printed in some cases. However, my RGS seems to have one big flaw - the pilot canopies don't open as planned, but simply come off the hinge due to too much tension - anybody else got this problem?

Oh, and the wing bubbles are poorly done - any minfigs in them rattle around as there's no studs to sit them on Sad

The pilot cnaopies are a problem but what you can do for the bubbles is pretty simple. Just take out the 2 x 2 plate and sit them on that. Works great for me.
fragment

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the RGS, that is why I custom built one on the older design a year or two back. Now I know some are raving about this new one, and even saying to buy if you have the original. But I don't really see the point since you could mod the old one to new specs. I have looked at the box, and pictures but not really convinced it would be worth the $$ to buy another. I missed out on the AT-TE so I did pick up one of these.

But besides telling people they should buy both, did someone actually get both and think it was worth buying second time around???

I think I will risk it until it goes on sale more than what I saw at Target recently.
legomd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually loved the old Gunship and the old AT-TE. In fact, I have multiples of the old ones because never did I imagine Lego redesigning them. Compared to the previous versions, I think the new designs are excellent. I initially thought they were overpriced, but I definitely see an improvement in the designs as well as the greater number of parts. So even if you have the older versions, I say get these new ones. You will not be disappointed.
Dark Flemish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday my girlfriend gave it to me as a suprice.

I'm very happy Very Happy

Greetings,
Dark Flemish
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: