FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2008 Exclusive Death Star Playset thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MosEisleyTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course this isn't the hot Christmas toy. My point is that people will spend absurd amounts of money on things that can actually be purchased in a store for much less. There is also usually at least one LEGO set that is in high demand every Christmas. Last year it was the Hoth Rebel Base. Parents had no problem shelling out $125 for a $50 set. "Oh but that was limited and no longer being produced," you will say. That's fine, but again not my point. People are saying parents won't spend the money. I am saying that they will and they have been doing it for years. If they will buy an item their child wants at an inflated price, they will certainly buy their child an item at retail price even if it is high. And yes, I know that every parent in the world can't afford to buy their child this set, but there are plenty who can that will allow this set to sell just fine.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did people seriously pay loads in great numbers? Shocked

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
HothTrooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that should be added to this discussion is that most of the high dollar LEGO sets are planned to be produced in lower numbers than the regular sets. They're not cranking Death Stars out as fast as they can like they would with a more common set, so there is not a pressing need to move huge volumes of stock immediately. That's why the high dollar sets stick around longer than the regular ones. They can wait for people to save up money to buy one without worrying about huge stockpiles sitting around in the warehouse.
MosEisleyTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the exact number of Hoth Bases that were sold during Christmas, but it would easily be more than several hundred. Every time I looked at them there would be 50+ listed and they were selling as fast as the listings were ending. Some were selling for $135 and up. The same with the Motorized AT-ATs. These were selling for right around $200. People will spend the money.

Since something like 80% of all toys are sold in the period leading up to Christmas, it makes sense to look at what people are willing to spend during that time.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just mad. Rolling Eyes

But I think that as they are buying first hand from the maker and not expecting high prices, that'll put people off. However, I can see your point.

CustomWiz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh people will absolute buy this...no matter the price.

Take a look at people here...even in europe, people are pissed, but not pissed enough to not hand over their credit cards. :D

CW
bigospedros

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*is in Europe (UK)*

*isn't handing over my credit card details for this set*

this is purely based on the price and the fact that I just don't have 275 to spend on a toy in one fail swoop. it's just too much. 200 would've been a bit of a push as it was, but no matter how much I want this set, I just cannot justify spending this much on 1 Lego set.

I'm also seriously pissed off with Lego for making such a huge pricing error ... getting people's hopes up and then dashing them, leaving 1 lego rep (based in the USA, I might add) to explain it with a cursory "sorry". This is not his fault, I might add ... it just stinks for a company point of view. I really hopes heads rolled in the online team for making such a huge error.

I would love to say that I will wait for a price drop or a sale but Lego UK don't seem to do this very often so there's no point getting my hopes up.

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
zombie REX
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Fetty wrote:

Don't say that. Otherwise, all the little 12-13 year olds on here who don't realise parents have to earn their money and pay bills and such will come and say there's christmas.

Are you taking the *insert swearword* mick? Im 12 and i know that my parents have to pay bills and that my LEGO sets are limited because of this. In fact i have payed for most of my sets.

Actually you should change that sentence to "Dont say that. Otherwise the stupid adults on this thread will realise that they dont have enough money because they know bugger all about anything! Mad Mad Mad Mad

EDIT:Dang i shouldv'e used PM

" Let me show you how it works clanker!"

Captain REX of the 501st
11numnumnum
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... That made absolutely no sense.

Back on topic, I was considering paying for Half of it for Christmas (that's how my parents handle $200+ items for gifts. I have to pay half, and I'll generally get only a couple other presents), but then I realized that I could get a ton more for that price. Heck, I could get an iPod Touch for that Price!
General Veers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true, too true.
I could purchase a good sized army for 40k and have money left over for the paints. And that stuff isn't cheap.
Raptor Fun Fact #73- The raptor's natural enemy is the gas-powered internal combustion off-road vehicle, which is made of evil.

So long everyone, my flight's leaving soon.
wehalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, this was posted on Gizmodo:

Quote:
Will Lego continue to reach out to a more adult audience with more intricate and larger sets?
Our adult audience is very important to us and we will continue to produce the larger, more intricate sets, which are typically found in our direct to consumer channels and other specialty retailers. The latest introduction is the Lego Star Wars Death Star.

LINK

Seems like they were targeting the adult audience more than the younger crowd with this statement. Although, at the current price, it makes sense. I don't see many young adults out there with the kinda dough to shell out for this set. Funny that, I also don't hear a lot of the younger crowd complaining about the pricing either.

..ooOO(- Wehalk -)OOoo..
Get Funky
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Veers wrote:
I could purchase a good sized army for 40k and have money left over for the paints. And that stuff isn't cheap.

Um... the set doesn't cost $40,000, Veers. Wink
zombly42
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wehalk wrote:
Funny that, I also don't hear a lot of the younger crowd complaining about the pricing either.

That's just because we know how to get money when we need it. And most of us don't have to waste it on trivial things such as food. Wink
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain REX wrote:
Master Fetty wrote:

Don't say that. Otherwise, all the little 12-13 year olds on here who don't realise parents have to earn their money and pay bills and such will come and say there's christmas.

Are you taking the *insert swearword* mick? Im 12 and i know that my parents have to pay bills and that my LEGO sets are limited because of this. In fact i have payed for most of my sets.

Actually you should change that sentence to "Dont say that. Otherwise the stupid adults on this thread will realise that they dont have enough money because they know bugger all about anything! Mad Mad Mad Mad

EDIT:Dang i shouldv'e used PM

Well at least we have exceptions.

I knew when I wrote it that not everyone would be like that, but I've seen quite a few of our younger members say they'll get it for Xmas, which is just so annoying and snobbish.

But I realise it was wrong to say 12 when you're that age. And good to hear your buying your own sets - many people I know at my age mooch off their parents.

CustomWiz wrote:
Take a look at people here...even in europe, people are pissed, but not pissed enough to not hand over their credit cards.

Wrong. I liked the set - loved it at first, but knew I'd never be able to get it. When the price was lowered, I seriously considered getting it. While your statement may be true to those who were going to get it regardless of price, it isn't for those who were on the fence.

General Veers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIR3691 wrote:
General Veers wrote:

Who said I'd be hiring the smart ones?
Raptor Fun Fact #73- The raptor's natural enemy is the gas-powered internal combustion off-road vehicle, which is made of evil.

So long everyone, my flight's leaving soon.
Greatdane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this price rise has realy got to me, i mean how does a multinational company 'accidently' charge the wrong price in 2 out of their 3 main markets (UK, and euro), is it when they found out their profit margin for it was below 25%... ?

thats me done with lego for a while, im crawling back into my dark ages..
MosEisleyTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this will be my last comment on this topic but why is everyone making such a big deal about the pricing error? These things happen all the time with products online. The company realizes the mistake and fixes it. Some companies honor the price, others just cancel the orders. There should be no expectation that the company lose more money by announcing to the world that they made a mistake and the price is going to change so hurry up and help them make even less money by ordering more at the wrong price before it increases. I would think that an error like that would be noticed before any consumers see it, but it wasn't so congratulations to those who got the better price. Mistakes happen and I would hardly think anyone really needs to lose their job(s) over it. I doubt so many were pre-ordered at that price that it really makes any difference to LEGO's bottom line.

I still love you, LEGO!
bigospedros

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people are making a big deal out of it for two reasons :

1. Getting the price right when a company puts something up for sale is fundamental so for them to make this mistake is pretty stupid, especially for it to be online for a couple of weeks before they corrected it!!

2. The incorrect price finally gave hope to all those Lego fans outside of USA that Lego might be starting to price their sets with parity across the world ... something we've been after for many many many years.

So, people outside of the USA have had their hopes dashed twice as a result of this error ... and that makes it a very hard and bitter pill to swallow.

Skafte

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the "new" european prices are much better than what would be expected. The Falcon is $500/560 but the DS is $400/400.

The first DS price (was it 300?) was of course even better, but the product we would get then was apparently lacking things that the SW people wanted to add. If they missed things, so would we. The reaction here would instead be "WTF! No DS toopers! No new Vader printing! Eleven minifigs is too few!" (or whatever they changed) "I'm never paying 300 for that useless ball of bley".

Yes, they should have fixed the price before they put it on the web, but mistakes happen. I'm happy the preorder price still is valid.

Discussing the difference between US end Europe prices falls in the dead horse whipping category.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they were going to take anything out for us - they just put up the wrong price.

alldarker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigospedros wrote:

1. Getting the price right when a company puts something up for sale is fundamental so for them to make this mistake is pretty stupid, especially for it to be online for a couple of weeks before they corrected it!!

A couple of weeks? I don't think so. It became available for pre-order in Europe a week later than in the US: I believe on the 28th of June, and the price changed on the 6th or 7th of July. That's just over one week that the wrong price was online...
bigospedros wrote:
2. The incorrect price finally gave hope to all those Lego fans outside of USA that Lego might be starting to price their sets with parity across the world ... something we've been after for many many many years.

This was always going to be a wild and unsustainable fantasy. The EU - US price difference has been beaten to death a hunderd times already. It is a fact of life, not just for Lego, but for most products. There was no reason whatsever this would suddenly change with a huge, licensed set.

Skafte wrote:
In my opinion, the "new" european prices are much better than what would be expected. The Falcon is $500/560 but the DS is $400/400.

The first DS price (was it 300?) was of course even better, but the product we would get then was apparently lacking things that the SW people wanted to add. If they missed things, so would we. The reaction here would instead be "WTF! No DS toopers! No new Vader printing! Eleven minifigs is too few!" (or whatever they changed) "I'm never paying 300 for that useless ball of bley".

Yes, they should have fixed the price before they put it on the web, but mistakes happen. I'm happy the preorder price still is valid.

Discussing the difference between US end Europe prices falls in the dead horse whipping category.

I agree with you for the whole 100%!
Skafte

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Fetty wrote:
I don't think they were going to take anything out for us - they just put up the wrong price.

No, but we've been told that the reason for there being two prices was that the SW people wanted more things in the DS. If we were getting the DS at the lower price, we would get fewer things.
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered some plates and other parts today. $17 without shipping.
Those parts should be enough for building the floors and the emperor's room together with the parts I still have left from my castle building try in January.

FlickrBrickshelf
deco_droid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think anyone should get fired over this pricing flub, but i still think a pricing error on such an important new set should have been noticed in the first 24 hours at least. who's running their website anyway? Rolling Eyes

true, the ds price change/increase doesn't really affect me in that i am in the u.s., but hey, on a side note, if you were considering buying a 7666 off ebay, you can defray some of that cost by waiting till the september rerelease. i was about to swallow hard and buy one off ebay, now i feel like i found a $50 bill! Very Happy

"it's jigowatt, mcfly! now why don't you make like a tree and get outta here..."
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hoth Base is being rereleased? Shocked

DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apperently. He also brought it up Here With more information

DeviantART|Brickshelf
bigospedros

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alldarker wrote:

A couple of weeks? I don't think so. It became available for pre-order in Europe a week later than in the US: I believe on the 28th of June, and the price changed on the 6th or 7th of July. That's just over one week that the wrong price was online...

pedant ... still having an incorrect price online for 8 or 9 days is ridiculous.

Quote:

This was always going to be a wild and unsustainable fantasy. The EU - US price difference has been beaten to death a hunderd times already. It is a fact of life, not just for Lego, but for most products. There was no reason whatsever this would suddenly change with a huge, licensed set.

fantasy or not ... it's what many people desire and with the original price it seemed that Lego had finally taken our complaints into consideration. Yes, it may be unrealistic to actually get parity ... I know full well of all the proposed reasons for the price differences across geos ... but on the face of the price being released, parity is what we got.

Skafte wrote:
Quote:

I agree with you for the whole 100%!

how can you agree when his point is based on a complete mis-understanding of the situation?! Non US sets were never going to be completely different to the US version. What Steve was getting at was that 199 was the original price point target but that had to go up as Lucasfilm added more features etc.

I know nothing is going to change. I know the price isn't going down. But at the end of the day, Lego have made a major mistake here and it's a real kick in the teeth to be so happy at the lower price and to miss out on it. My confidence in Lego, as a company, has been affected by this and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

woodnoggin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alldarker wrote:
Actually, you only get charged when the set gets shipped. So you keep your money in your account accruing interest until that time anyway... So that's not a valid argument.
Secondly, here in the Netherlands we don't have any official Lego stores, so S@H is the only place to get a lot of the exclusive sets. Even our (expensive) Toys 'R' Us stores sometimes don't carry the US TRU exclusive sets.
Thirdly, may I remind you of the lifespan of the Hoth Rebel Base set? Ordering a.s.a.p. is often the best way of ensuring you do get the (exclusive) sets at all!

On the subject of when pre-orders are charged for, I understood the opposite, based on reading this forum. If I had known my card wouldn't be charged until the set was sent out, I would have pre-ordered as soon as I could.
On your second point, I didn't say that Shop at Home wasn't a good place to buy this set, I said that pre-ordering wasn't necessary. I have no local shops that will sell the Death Star set and would choose to buy from S@H too.
You can remind me of the Hoth Rebel Base all you like, there are still plenty of those available if you know where to look. I also heard a rumour that it is being re-released later in the year. So no problem there.
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigospedros wrote:
I know nothing is going to change. I know the price isn't going down. But at the end of the day, Lego have made a major mistake here and it's a real kick in the teeth to be so happy at the lower price and to miss out on it. My confidence in Lego, as a company, has been affected by this and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Same.

It's strange how some people are just taking this in their stride. Confused

Blacknight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIR3691 wrote:
General Veers wrote:

You probably know this and were just being cheeky, but Warhammer 40K is a miniatures board game.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 20 of 28
Jump to: