FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spanish minifig size AT AT

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigpro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Spanish minifig size AT AT Reply with quote

This is the ATAT "0" version.

I shall upgrade it many many times, so be patient please!

Enjoy.

General Veers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!
The only real problem I see is the legs. Try to bulk them up a bit.
Raptor Fun Fact #73- The raptor's natural enemy is the gas-powered internal combustion off-road vehicle, which is made of evil.

So long everyone, my flight's leaving soon.
sigpro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably mean the legs look weak, donīt you?

They must be upgraded by adding tiles in the front area, but I canīt make them wider as it could not be well scaled, but the AT AT is heavy and it could be unstable. But it has been one hour stand up and nothing happened!!!

Thanks.
Zombiegoo
Undead!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the legs, it looks good. As Veers said, you should bulk them up. They are very stick-looking, especially compared to the fairly huge main body. In addition, they are too narrow when comparing to the actual AT-AT schematics.

Plus, even if the bulkier legs would break the accuracy and scale a little bit, they would make the walker look way more powerful, menacing and cool. I would prefer that to perfect accuracy. Wink
sigpro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the schematics I used. I have been many times measuring and re-measuring all the dimensions to make it accurate.

In lenght I got a very high accuracy. Maybe you are right. The legs look skinny, but that is the way they are according to the models. I even say that my ATATīs legs are wider if you look the ATAT from the front.

Well, by checking the scales, the legs are smaller than if they were completely scaled. I can wide them by adding more tiles and plates in the front and rear area, so they will look bigger from the sides.

Thanks!
NecronCommander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I won't say what's already been said. Other than that, it's very well detailed for the size.
ImpairedZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should add some big round plates to put on the hinges of the legs.
astoriabluelegos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far this goes, it looks AMAZING, apart from the legs as has been stated earlier. Very Happy

The Official, Eternal, StarWars Nit-Picker!
Sandtrooper Platoon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. Did a great job on the "head".

I didn't do this one, but check out this photo. It is the best mini-fig sized AT-AT I have ever seen.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sandtrooper/StarWarsScenes/SW-LegoAds/hoth3.jpg[/img]

Check out this http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=246841 for more!
sigpro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More AT-AT pics.

Imagine you are a "rebel scum" soldier and watch this through your binoculars...

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/7097/dsc0156911ez0.jpg

Bye and enjoy.

Last edited by sigpro on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:12 pm; edited 9 times in total
ZombieFlynn
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokking good so far! My only problem with it is that it seems to be too grey. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you, but it feels like it could use some dark grey greebling of sorts to differenciate the colors. Also, the legs look a little on the weak side, and look a little too square. Other than that, it looks really good!
sigpro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legs have been strengthened by adding another pair of 44225 and 44224 technic parts.

What do I get with it? The legs are more stable, both if you move it front-back or right-left. It can even stand with one rear leg up.

It even looks stronger, but, according to the plans, the legs are oversized.

I will try to post pics ASAP.

Thanks.
Andywinneris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it a lot. Very Happy

I tried to make a minifig scale AT-AT but I messed up the legs.
So instead i am modding my 10178 which i shall have pics up of soon.

build a hoth diorama to go with, that would look awesome Wink
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good, but please: read this before posting any more pictures then go back and edit your posts. Thanks.
sigpro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates on my AT-AT.

Two octuple grenade launchers have been attached under the cockpit, close to the heavy turbolasers. These weapons are to improve the protection against infantry -for example- at point-blank.

Have some pics.

Greetings.
Dalek Zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean goodbye. Greetings is when you meet or say "hello" to someone.
sigpro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics for you and sorry for the mistake!!

Here you are!

Three pics.

The first one is an overall sight of the AT-AT from the front.

The second one shows how the legs have been strengthened. Twin technic rotation joints are in each "knee" and "hip" of the AT-AT. This ensures greater stability in all directions, specially if pushed from the front-rear axis. Time ago the AT-AT collapsed when pushed from behind...

The third pic shows the "ankle". This part was not strengthened as it was not as weak as the other parts.

Bye and thanks for the comments!
sigpro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The escape hatchs have been attached.

I hope to post the pictures for you to see the result.

Bye and thanks.
davee123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking pretty good!

The legs' beefiness is always a problem, since the real things are ultra-skinny. For my model, I figured the legs ought to be about 1.5 studs thick, so I went with 2 studs, with a little more beefiness around the knees. But I think the issue I'm seeing with yours isn't the thickness of the legs, but the front-to-back width of the legs. Mine were 5 bricks and 2 plates from front-to-back (about 2.15 inches), but it looks like yours (which is about the same scale?) are about 3-4 bricks thick (1.13 - 1.51 inches). I believe that may be what people were commenting on earlier...

When I built mine, I attempted to make mine 75 "feet" tall, assuming that a minifig was 6 feet tall. Hence, mine translated to about 65-66 studs tall, or 54-55 bricks tall. Using that as a basis, I found MS-Paint great way to roughly calculate the appropriate size in bricks. I don't know if I still have all the files, but you can see a few of my "scratch" documents here:

http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/atat/walking/atatbody.GIF
http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/atat/walking/toscale2.GIF

Another tip on setup-- you may be able to make your AT-AT sturdier if you straddle the legs. That is, on one side, you slide the feet slightly apart from each other, and on the other side, slide the feet towards each other by the same degree. Of course, that's only true if the knee joints are capable of holding that pose, but assuming the knees are locked in place, I found (as did Shaun Sullivan) that straddled legs was a great way to improve the stability, while at the same time giving a little more life to the model.

DaveE
sigpro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave -Sir Dave I should say-

You are right about the thickness of the legs, and also right when saying the real AT-AT legs are too thin.

The main reason to build such thick legs is this : with two bricks I am unable to warrant the legs will not bend in the knees and the "hips" will be strong enough to prevent the At-AT from collapsing if pushed from the front or from behind.

Now, with twin technic rotation pins in each "knee" and "hip" my AT-AT is stronger -other thing is whether it looks strong-

According to layouts found in http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Battlefield/4823/mapaatat.gif

I think the AT-AT is correctly scaled.

The legs are poseable and I can do what you say, I can straddle the legs. It could even stay balanced if one rear leg is completely over the floor, but I prefer not to do it.

The overall height of my AT-AT is 74 studs, about 55-60 cms. I did not scale it by using a fix pattern. I designed a cockpit able to hold 2 drivers and General Veers. Once the cockpit was designed and scaled...I took the layouts and started measuring EVERY important part of the AT-AT.
As I had the main proportions in the cockpit, I made the calculations to build the rest of the AT-AT.

Check these pics.

In my opinion -and I hope in your opinion too- the idea I had to scale my AT-AT was not wrong. The minifigs fit and the overall size is similar to yours.

Thanks and goodbye.
davee123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigpro wrote:
The main reason to build such thick legs is this : with two bricks I am unable to warrant the legs will not bend in the knees and the "hips" will be strong enough to prevent the At-AT from collapsing if pushed from the front or from behind.

Yep-- I had the same problem. I couldn't find a good solution to make the knees bend while staying 2-studs thick. Shaun found a way to do it, but he had to build his legs studs-up to accommodate the design, which made it weaker. In the end, we each ended up making the knees basically "locked" in the straight position.

sigpro wrote:
According to layouts found in
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Battlefield/4823/mapaatat.gif

I think the AT-AT is correctly scaled.

Heh, yep! That's generally the one that people seem to use, since it's the best looking "official" image (it's taken from the Essential Guide to Vehicles, BTW). You can see the whole image as linked to earlier:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/7/7f/AT-AT_egvv.jpg

I used that one myself, since it gave me the best sense of non-skewed scale, unlike many other reference shots, which are of a 3-D model, thereby making it trickier to determine exact measurements.

sigpro wrote:
The overall height of my AT-AT is 74 studs, about 55-60 cms. I did not scale it by using a fix pattern. I designed a cockpit able to hold 2 drivers and General Veers. Once the cockpit was designed and scaled...I took the layouts and started measuring EVERY important part of the AT-AT. As I had the main proportions in the cockpit, I made the calculations to build the rest of the AT-AT.
[...]
In my opinion -and I hope in your opinion too- the idea I had to scale my AT-AT was not wrong.

I think the body and the head look pretty much spot-on! The legs are the only parts that look (to me) a bit off in your model. If you take a look at the image you referenced as your source (and knowing the height of your model), you can figure out how large the legs should be. As a quick check:

http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/atat/walking/atat_size.gif

The pixel measurements may be off by a couple pixels (measured in PhotoShop), but it doesn't affect things too much-- the end result is between 6.5 and 7.5 studs wide at the highlighted purple point in the legs (assuming the height of 74 studs tall is correct for the overall model). Anyway, this translates to a width of between 52mm and 60mm.

From what I can see in your image here:
http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=atatjuntospe9.jpg

It looks like your legs are 3 bricks wide at that point, which translates to 28.8mm-- which is about half the width shown above. A width of 5 bricks and 2 plates would be about right (give or take a plate or two), which is another brick and plate on the front and back sides of the legs.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like I don't like your model-- I just thought I'd elaborate on what I noticed early on, since I thought there was some miscommunication in terms of what people meant by the legs looking too skinny. Overall, I think it's pretty impressive! I'll be anxiously waiting to see more!

For that matter, here's a question for you-- how did you construct the neck? That was one of the other very difficult parts for my model, anyway, since the head was very large, and exerted a large amount of weight on any hinge that I came up with. What's supporting it so that it stays vertical?

DaveE
sigpro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, that pic is very old!! It is from june-july 2008 and the legs were not finished!!

The current width of the legs is:
-3 bricks and 4 plates (which is equal to 4 bricks and 1 plate) from the "knees" to the "hips".
-3 bricks and 2 plates from the "knees" to the "ankles".

I could recalculate the width of the legs to make them look stronger.

Concerning the neck...desingning it was a headache. But I finally found a good design. It allowed me turning the head left and right, and it allowed minifigs to enter the cockpit.

AS soon I come back home from work, I will post detailed pics of the neck assembly.

Thanks and goodbye!
sigpro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have some pics of the neck.

The cockpit has one technic brick to join the main hull.

This is the place of the hull in which the technic brick is attached.

This is the front of the hull with the aisle to reach the cockpit.

The hull viewed from inside a virtual cockpit. As you can see, the aisle is minifig size -maybe not for very tall minifigs, but they fit-.

Enjoy!
Zombie Hawk
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really cool! A very clever yet simple way to attatch the head and make it rotate. Smile
davee123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigpro wrote:
Concerning the neck...desingning it was a headache. But I finally found a good design. It allowed me turning the head left and right, and it allowed minifigs to enter the cockpit.

Ahh, I see now. To date, I think Shaun had one of the cleverest solutions-- it didn't work on my AT-AT, since the head was so much heavier than his, but it allowed the head to move both up and down as well as right and left. He basically created a lattice of technic beams, sort of like this:

Code:

--o--o--o--
  |  |  |
--o--o--o--
  |  |  |
--o--o--o--

Each connection was using a technic friction pin, such that when you moved the head up or down, ALL of the friction pins moved together, and it provided just enough resistance to stay in place, but be easily changed by hand. And of course right-to left, it was simply free to rotate. Finally, he wrapped a bunch of hinges around the techinc structure to make it look round, and voila!

I played briefly with something similar to what you've got there-- but using technic flex rods inside to hold it in position, thus allowing the middle to be open (like in yours) to allow figures to pass back and forth from the head to the body. But again, the head was just too heavy to let that work well. But I like that you've got a solution that allows the minifigs to have access to the head! Very cool.

DaveE
sigpro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hatch has been installed in the cockpit.

Bye and enjoy!
sigpro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cockpit has been upgraded -again and again, as usual-

The access hatch has been reinstalled, and it is now at the end of the cockpit. This means there is more room inside.

This view shows the extra room gained.

July version.

What do these changes mean? There is an extra stud for General Veers. He is not so close to the pilot like in the July version. The weapons are on the right side of the cockpit, so the extra passenger does not have them so close; in case of accident, he would not be hit by them. Leaving the cockpit is easier now.

Other view. The multi function panels are seen.

Other view, from the hatch to the front.

Many control lights, the main HUDīS, and other gadgets.

Enjoy!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: