FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10186 General Grievous

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowlead

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: 10186 General Grievous Reply with quote

DHL delivered my copy today, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling with some review elements...

First Impressions: The box is a lot bigger than I expected, and the official release photos don't quite convey the dimensions. For your reference, the box itself is a just a few inches shorter than the similarly priced Republic Cruiser box - sporting the new flip-top style with the perforations that have to be carefully separated for easier opening.

Price per piece ratio weighs in at a respectable .083, which is decent for a Star Wars set.

Not that the above details matter too much with respect to the quality of a set, but I can honestly say that I felt a lot better about parting with $90 once I got a better grasp on the scale of the set as a whole.
8/10

The Build: As you can see from all the photos floating around on Brickshelf, Grievous is a Technic based set. He would, however, be better categorized as a hybrid set due to a good mix of bricks and plates. This is the first notable quality of 10186 - it just looks a heck of a lot better than its earlier counterparts such as the Super Battle Droid, Jango Fett, Vader, etc... So, while the build itself is not particularly interesting, the end result is far more rewarding than the above mentioned Technic characters.
7/10

Function: I have already encountered some negative comments regarding Grievous' poseability (sp?). Well, they're justified, but all is not lost. While his feet are integral to the rotating display stand, and the only adjustable section of the legs are the hips, these issues are quite easily solved with some straightforward mods. I know, not what you wanted to hear for ninety bucks, but oh well. On the bright side, his feet look fantastic and can easily be reinforced to support the weight sans display stand.

Same goes for the arms - not as poseable as I'd like, but easily fixed. The set gives you an option by providing an extra set of shoulder joints to set the arms without his 'surprise split' characteristic. With this option, he would hold just two sabers instead of four. I found the look/construction of the forearms and hands to look pretty neat. The four sabers themselves each have a slightly different looking hilt, to give that impression of trophies from defeated Jedi. The head, which looks awesome, is quite adjustable.
5/10 for limited articulation, TLC could have done better in this regard.

Possibilities: This set is nothing if not full of potential: A cape fabricated from a decent piece of cloth maybe with a blood red inside lining would look great - I'll be working on that. Along with some mods for better articulation, this becomes a solid buy and worth picking up in my opinion. It's especially cool for someone who likes to mod and tweak here and there. So overall I will give the set a 7.5/10 for a nice mix of parts and means of construction, a great look, and the potential for modification.

I can't wait to see his Wheel Bike built in this scale...HEY RETO, WHAT ARE YOU UP TO THESE DAYS??
Clonecommando007
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review! A good read. However pictures in the review would have been nice; I hate having to go dig them up on brickshelf.

Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild -
www.TheCABG.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lordvader208

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great that you can make a review so soon of a set that just came out. It would look better with a cape though.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=lordvader208
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
KitFisto007

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this out now?!
KitFisto007

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought it!

Anyways, I think it's a really cool set. It's a nice 5 hour build for me and I like the attention to detail. It's a bit fragile, if you want to consider that a bad point, but I thought it is well worth my money. I buy all of the Star Wars lego for collection anyways, but I enjoy building them the most out of anything. It's better that taking 5 minutes to build a 10 dollar set. I found that the stickers were in the wrong place, so I moved the little stripes up to the head. Then I looked on google and they are supposed to go on the chest plate, but they look better on the head anyways.
mmcb

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowlead,
Great review. I am in the process of obtaining all the parts.

If you need some help making up a cape, give me a shout. Once I have my Greivous built I will be making one anyway Wink

Cheers,
MMCB
strwrs429

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics anyone?
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good review, I want to get this set more now. Too badthere wasn't any pictures though.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
ZombieAndi
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done the Mods yet? Do you have some pictures?

FlickrBrickshelf
lowlead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work has been way too busy the last few weeks - I only have a template cut out for the cape so far, and I haven't touched the arms for modification yet. Slow going, maybe some pics before long.
mmcb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is getting wierd now.

I to am flat out with work, and I to have a template made up for a cape. I just need some free time to get it made up properly.

I won't be modifying my Grievous though. I'll be keeping him stock standard, but with only 1 set of arms (2 arms), not the 2 sets (4 arms). Although, the cape I am working on will work in both variations of the set Wink

Lowlead:
I'll show you mine, if you show me yours..........hmm, that doesn't sound right Embarassed

MMCB
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recieved my Grievous today and spent about 4-5 hours building it.

First off, I should say that I got this for $45, and at that price, it was a steal. There were so many good parts. For example, there were several of those 3-way tube pieces of which I have very little. Another thing which I think gets overlooked for this set is the number of black plates and tiles. There were a total of 64 2x2 black tiles in this set. Now for those of you who already have massive collections, this may not seem like much, but for those of us who are new to the game, this is quite nice. I could continue to go on and on about the parts, but suffice it to say, you get your money's worth.

There has been much said about functionality and flimsiness of this set. That is to say, there isn't much, and it is very much so. However, given that this is a UCS set (its numbered in the 10000s) and is designed for display, I think this is to be expected. While I for one would welcome a new sub-theme of the Star Wars theme which uses the exoforce joints to make playable figures of the major characters, it remains to be seen whether LEGO will pick up on this or ignore it. (Also, I'm not entirely sure that it wouldn't confict with the whole "only Hasbro can make action figures" thing, which is stupid, but what are you going to do?)

The bottom line is, for $45, you should definately go out and buy this set. You'd better hurry, too, before the deal is gone (it's always sooner than you think it'll be).
bigospedros

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a half price sale on S@H meant this set was too good to resist. I've just got round to building it.

It's not the most fascinating build, but it looks great when it's done. Certainly an imposing figure when it's finished.

I decided against putting the stickers on the set. There are only 3 and it doesn't detract from the final set being without them.

I could do with getting a cape made up for though as I think that would just top off the set to an absolutel tee.

I'd give it 8/10 as it is a bit wobbly but as a display piece, it doesn't need to be absolutely sturdy.

Oh and a mark knocked off because I got given a 1 x 6 plate in dark grey instead of a 1 x 4 flat in black. This confused me somewhat during the build and I didn't seem to have a spare, so I had to substitute. Still, the replacement part was used under the rotating bit at the top, so it's not visible.

My Current Lego Collection (thanks Brickset!)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Set Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: