FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clone Wars: Y-Wing predecessor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SIMAFOL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Clone Wars: Y-Wing predecessor Reply with quote

More building fodder!!!

http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/news20080403.html

I'm sure we'll get more out of the Clone Wars than just entertainment. I foresee there will be many custom designs. It is our destiny.
-S-
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not approve of this... thing. It'll grow on me I'm sure, but I already know what the Y-Wing is supposed to look like before the Rebels stripped it down for their bomb runs, and it didn't look retarded. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Original_Y-wing.jpg
Starsmore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I can kinda see it. Republic requested more armor, bigger punch, etc etc etc... Republic fell, Koensayr Manufacturing strips it down to sell in the public sector, Rebels get it, strip it down more.
Swoosh Zombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Y-Wing was already supposed to be old during the OT. It doesn't need a precursor for the clone wars. It's like the Klingon Battlecruiser of the SW universe.
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, nothing like seeing Lucas Art's continued assault on any sort of continuity.

Midiclorions for all!
Brick Fett

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot!

Gobbles up midiclorions.

Zombiegoo
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, really. The shape is rather odd, and the ship doesn't really look Republic-like, at least by colours. It is a neat idea, though.. I think I'll wait for some action shots before I call the final judgement.

Still, even though I really like the idea of mixing PT and OT eras together, I would rather have seen a PTB-625 planetary bomber or NTB-630 naval bomber appearing in the series. Why make a (semi)new ship when there's still some good, potential designs unused? (Note: that was a rhetorical question, so please don't start to preach me about marketing and stuff like that Wink)

Nevertheless, I have to admit that one detail in the craft is pretty awesome: the turret bubble. It was in the original Y-wing desing, yet resembles quite a bit the bubbles of LAAT gunships. It might be nothing intentional, but at least it's nice to think that there would be a connection like that (even if the gunships in the new series don't seem to have those bubbles at all..).
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this looks daft. This looks too bulky at the rear, and nothing like the general aesthetics of the Republic, IE wedge shaped or with S-Foils.
Rasmukel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I don't see why everyone's so quick to attack the prequels for lining up with Original Trilogy. I think they've done a decent job with stuff like this so far.
Zombie147
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's cool. I doubt this will be the final product, as this is just concept art and it's subject to change.
theZombieAbides
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasmukal, I wouldn't have a problem with them lining things up between the PT and OT, if it actually made sense. When I look at this picture, it makes me wonder what the engineers were thinking:

Engineer wrote:
Boy, lets take the these fast, aerodynamic spaceships and slow them down, bulk them up, and make them far less aerodynamic. I mean, sure, it'll be a bomber, which needs to operate in atmosphere...

Donald Trump wrote:
You're an idiot. You're fired!

Seriously, if you're going to make a bomber, why not base it off a ship like this. It's big enough to hold several bombs, got great engines, and a whole lot sleeker than a Y-Wing. I mean, if you compare it to a B-52 bomber and the B-2 Bomber, you'll notice that they essentially combined the two and gave it a shiny chrome finish. What better vehicle to base a bomber off of?

I mean seriously, it would be nice if they used a little common sense every now and again. Rolling Eyes
Rasmukel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose a sleeker design would be nicer, but it still looks cool to me.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
I do not approve of this... thing. It'll grow on me I'm sure, but I already know what the Y-Wing is supposed to look like before the Rebels stripped it down for their bomb runs, and it didn't look retarded. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Original_Y-wing.jpg

All second'd. It looks silly and stupid. And the paint strip makes it look more like an M or V-wing.
zombly42
Undead!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I'm a PT fan, I have to ask - what are they doing? It's not that I don't want more Republic starfighters but having a weird looking Y-wing fighter as one is just not appealing. If they used that picture that dWhisper linked to, I would be singing a different tune. But I don't like the weird modifications.
HothTrooper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are a lot of glaring inconsistencies that the prequels have with the original trilogy and the early expanded universe, but I think this one makes pretty good sense. Like Swoosh said, the Y-Wings of the original trilogy were designed to be old, battered ships at that point in the story. That's why there are so many internal components visible. If they were new with complete platings and fittings during the Clone Wars, they would be around 20 years old by the assault on the first Death Star. Thinking about bombers in real life, that's pretty dang old to still be in service. And as for being bulkier and slower than the other Republic fighters, that's apples and oranges. The Y-Wing is a bomber, which if you were to draw inspiration from our world, would almost certainly be bulkier and slower than a fighter.
xwingyoda

Location: An X-Wing crashed in the Eiffel Tower - not the Vegas one !!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeing an OT fan and a Y-Wing fan I think that this "concept" looks really cool but I have difficulties to see how it will fit in the CW, that is to say in between Ep2&3.

Why is it not preset in ROTS ?
I find it difficult to believe that the Republic designed a fighter which dod not stay long in prodiction - yes I know looking for details but still...

Regarding the design I think its odd: i has the old looking front of the superb Y-Wing but has a way more sleek and modern rear !! I lack the "head" on its own though, due to the fact that the cockpit main body is in V shape. Its a cool combination though.

One thing for sure is that if that ship is in the CW, we'll have a set Laughing

Yoda

My BS Folder & Flickr
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen some pretty ugly ships in the PT before, but this takes the cake.
I can be assured that if it is an important part of the Clone Wars and lego releases a set for it, I will not be getting that.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's another example of EU stepping over itself. V-Wing or V-Wing? I like the picture Don linked to earlier over this angular monstrosity. It looks like a Y-wing on steroids.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea why does EU keep doing this, and make multiple ships with the same name. (Like Gir's V-wing example)

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Rasmukel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a Y-wing on steroids.

Ha ha ha ha ha. Yeah, I could totally see that, GIR.
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Y-wing actually did look kinda like that when they showed the fully armored version of it in Incredible Cross-sections, I personnally do not like the shape of it, it doesnt look Republic enough to me.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emperor wrote:
The Y-wing actually did look kinda like that when they showed the fully armored version of it in Incredible Cross-sections, I personnally do not like the shape of it, it doesnt look Republic enough to me.
No it didn't, it looked exactly like the image I linked. Wink
zombly42
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm beginning to like this design more and more. I think that the real key word is predecessor. It doesn't mean much about the Y-Wings we saw in the OT. The image that Don linked to was a Y-Wing before the rebels stripped down, namely the BTL Y-Wing Starfighter that we saw in ANH, but this design that we're seeing is a Y-wing that came before that one. It probably inspired the design of the later Y-Wing during the GCW but isn't the same Y-Wing used during the GCW. So continuity (for once), escapes, unaffected.

OK, rant over.
SIMAFOL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a prototype stolen from Koensayr Manufacturing and Ani and crew need to retrieve it. Or it could be a wrench of the SW continuity.
I'm thinking the latter.
-S-
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran across this via the Replica Prop Froum... a fans interpretation of pre-stripped Y-Wing:

Now that looks interesting...
Zombiegoo
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed.

But still, somehow it looks less Republic-like than the one in the concept image. I don't really know why, it just does.. Perhaps it's a bit too round- and soft-shaped?
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
Ran across this via the Replica Prop Froum... a fans interpretation of pre-stripped Y-Wing:

Now that looks interesting...

That's a stunning rendition of what the Y-wing could have been Cool
Morbie19
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:

That, I like. It comes across as a real, successfully designed ship instead of just a lazy "let's take the Y-Wing and stretch out its planes to connect with each other" version like the first post's artwork.

m19

Brickshelf | Flickr
Darth Pityles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, but not good either. My advice:
--Add some wings to the engines.
--Get rid of the yellow stripes on the engines and engine supports.
--Make it part of a planetary defense force (supplied by Koensayr, of course)
--Make the turret larger, at least large enough for a gunner to sit in. Like this MCQ concept: http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/5/54/MCQ-ywing.jpg

If you are a Christian, put this in your signature :><>

It's Lego, NOT LEGOs!
Blacknight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CommanderJake wrote:
No, this looks daft. This looks too bulky at the rear, and nothing like the general aesthetics of the Republic, IE wedge shaped or with S-Foils.

Agreed 100%. I think adding Y-wings to the PT is a good idea (they should have been in ROTS in place of the ARC-170s), but this is a pretty poor attempt by Lucasfilm. The original Y-wing is one of my favourite ships and they just butchered it here by turning it into some Jetsons family car wannabe. The one in the cross-section book, or that model above, would've been way better. At the very least, they could accentuate the slope of the wedge so it looks more like a V-wing, and maybe add S-foils to the engines like Darth Pityles suggested. Hopefully, as others have said here, this will NOT be a mainline Republic fighter, but instead form the local defense force of some planet, just like the Naboo fighters did. I'll admit the clear ball turret is a nice touch.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: