FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEST SW comics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: BEST SW comics Reply with quote

What are the best Star Wars comics to read?
CommanderJake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very specific question, really... Rolling Eyes

Favourite era?
Favourite characters?
etc

Come on, actually do yer research before you ask, maybe? Rolling Eyes
Bruno

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me rephrase.

Are there any Star Wars comic books you read that you recommend to other Star Wars fans? And if yes, why did you think it was a worthwhile read?
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inifinities - parodies of the films, afaik only done for the OT, truely fantastic.
Visionaries - a dozen or so short stories, plus art work, all by the artists of EpIII, amazing (especially Maul, and the Hoth one).
The Clone Wars - 9 volumes of the happenings between Eps II and III, fantastic art work, great stories, cool insight into some of the lesser know characters.
Knights of The Old Republic - set ~4000 BBY, great storie, brilliant art, cool characters, shame it's doesn't touch onn the game, but well worth buying.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little bump from the bottom of the page to anyone who's interested.
I recently bought the last two comics I needed to complete the nine volume Clone Wars collection (#1 Defense of Kamino and #9 Endgame). Great to finally have them all, the stories are interesting, make a great connection between eisodes II and III with errors in continuity few and far between. Brian Ching did the artwork for it, which is truely awesome, and I really would recomend them.
And I also picked up the first volume of Dark Times. It's set right after some of the events in Endgame and carries the story on great. I found the story quite gripping, despite being so tragic, and again the artwork is just brilliant.

I'm really annoyed that I have to wait till august before volume 2 comes out, and september for the next of the KotOR series (which is just soooo fantastic, read them again this weekend).

Also, I'd appreciate it if anyone could recomend some good comics (I generally go for the TPBs as opposed to indiviual comics). I'm interested in the 'Shadows of the Empire' series, mainly due to the game, and also want to find 'Rite of Passage' which revolves mainly around Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos. And I'm also wondering if the Jedi accademy series is any good, but that's mainly because I'm interested in something with Kyle Katarn in it.

And as per Jake's question. I generally prefer stories centred about the Jedi, as opposed to the Empire or Rebels (although Star Wars: Empire and X-Wing Roue Squadron have me very very interested)

And I'd also like to know if the Tag and Bink comics are any good, and Crimson Empire.
Thanks to anyone that can help
Iare Zombite
Undead!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darths and droids

While not quite set in Star Wars universe. it's really a funny rpg game of star wars comic... Smile

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
EmperorZombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crimson Empire series is phenominal, Kir Kanos is awesome. Its quick and easy and full of surprises Smile
banthabricks

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the Dark times comics, but I'm a fan of Kruhk too.
Sandtrooper Platoon

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, I don't think Star Wars translate well into the comic form (or in literature for that matter). Tried reading the novelisation of "Sith". Couldn't get into it. That being said, I really enjoyed reading "Empire" as a child. Perhaps "Sith" was just written badly.
A comic doesn't do the live action justice, and in the case of Ep 4-6 and maybe 3, the drama is lost to the printed illustrated page.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, I reckon the comic of ep III was an improvement on the film....

Wink

I do actually think it helps quite a bit in some cases. With the film everything is set out for you so there's miniamal thinking (backgrounds, characters, ships, you see them all in detail), but the comics, and to a far greater extent, the books, can expand on that in such a way that everyone can interperet them differently, thinking up what characters look like or what the ships sound like and all that jazz. That's actually why I was so disapointed in the HP films, the books were fantastic, but having it translated to film just never really fit with how I saw and experienced it all.
Everyone has their own opinion though.
the enigma that is zombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Empire is still my personal favorite SW comic. Striking, evocative art and an excellent story with darker tones mixed in with pure space opera adventure (reminds me a good deal of TESB, actually).

badger
Rayman

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with banthabricks on this one. Dark Times truly amazed me with its "inkless" artstyle, although the quality of the artwork dipped in the recent arc. The prose is also excellent. Cool
Zombie Typo
Undead!

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tag & Bink. Razz

No, but seriously, I think that my favoite series is either Crimson Empire, (although I haven't been able to read the whole series,) or Star Wars: Infinities. I like Infinities because it puts an interesting twist on the movies.

Proud member of the AFEC
Zombie Jones
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinities was great. If you are into "alternate history" stories, pick them up.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Jedi in four seperate comics, I'm trying to find the other two in TPB.
Blacknight

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joedward, Shadows of the Empire gets my seal of approval, especially if you like Boba Fett. I got the series years ago when it came out. The first issue is a thing of beauty, the other five are pretty good.

I have the first few Rogue Squadron series, but I gave up collecting them after a while. Of the ones I have, "The Phantom Affair" is the best, especially the first issue (again) which is amazing. It kind of goes downhill after that though with a lot of flashbacks.

I haven't read many of the more recent or prequel comics.

P.S. On an off-topic note, the best comics I've ever read are the "Age of Reptiles" series about dinosaurs, and "Terminator Vs. Robocop".
liquidcross

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Times and Legacy are your best bets for current stuff.

Brickshelf
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Dark Times vol. 1, but have to wait a while for #2. same goes for #4 of KotOR, as mentionjed above. I'm not too sure about Legacy, the Clone Wars era stuff intrigues and interests me the most. I think it's the mythology and writing style.

Somethings to save and spend birthday money on.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I recently got Star Wars: Empire Volumes 6 and 7 (they caught my eye, and were the only Empire ones the shop had). I really like these, as of what I've said about the others, artwork is awesome and the story and background etc. is really good, not the best, but still fun and interesting read.

Yesterday I got the first volume of Legacy. Now don't get me wrong, it is truely awesome, but it irks me in some small ways. One; now that I know who Krayt is, I think it's a bit silly he's lived so long, even in stasis or whatever. And two; Darth Tallon appears in Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. The game is set maybe 10 years after RotJ, but Legacy is 125 years after.
But yeah, those are my irks. The artwork and inking are really great, and the story so far is brilliant, I can't wait to get to the next few. Hopefuly going to be a really good series.

But I really shouldn't be buying so many new comics without finishing the series. I've now got 5 more Empire to buy, along with Dark Times, KotOR, Infinities and now Legacy. Oh well.
I'll recomend them all, and I think they're all well worth the money.
liquidcross

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joedward wrote:
And two; Darth Tallon appears in Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. The game is set maybe 10 years after RotJ, but Legacy is 125 years after.

That's not Darth Talon in Jedi Academy. That's Alora, one of the Ragnos cultists.

Brickshelf
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Well I'm sure I've heard of her in something before. Nevermind
Al

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, no love for Tales of the Jedi??

Sure, the artwork is wonky more often than not, but you cannot deny these comics, published between 1993 and 1997, tell a captivating story. Best of all, Dark Horse has released the entire TotJ series in two Omnibus volumes, collecting all the issues for a low price.

For those wanting more background on the Sith, and an even deeper motive for their revenge than the cause referred to in the Star Wars movies, TotJ is a revealing saga, presenting some wonderful characters and delightful pieces of dialogue.
ShortRound

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joedward wrote:

Knights of The Old Republic

'nuff siad.
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question, does Rebellion follow on from Empire???

Thanks
Brick Fett

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I believe so.

CloneZomberor
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronologically it does, but like Empire, it doesn't always tell stories about the same people which is nice for variety.

(ΞΞΞΞΞ)><@><||(=======================================
brownie69yov3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Republic went into Dark Times

Empire went into Rebellion

and KOTOR is new, but has elements from KOTOR video games and Tales of the Jedi

They best comic I read was Obsession mini-series which lead into EP.III, Brian Ching's artwork is incredible and it served as a fantastic side conclusion for some major players during the clone wars (the last we see Ventress...)

Also anything that Doug Wheatley's penicl touches turns to gold- including Dark times and a couple issues of Republic

br()wnie
Joedward
Hoover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Dark Times follow on from End Game??

Not too recently I got a few new comics. I got ANH and ESB Infinities, issues 1 and 2 of Empire, the new KotOR, Dark Times and Legacy. All of which are just so awesome.

I'd recommend every single one of those, especially if you get them cheap on Amazon... Smile
brownie69yov3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you are right Joedward- Endgame is the end that leads into dark times, but it is just a trade that collects the final issues of the Republic series...
HothTrooper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you enjoyed Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars cartoon, I would recommend the similarly styled comics Clone Wars Adventures. The first 20 issues of Tales (collected in volumes 1-5 of the paperbacks) are also personal favorites of mine.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: