FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Constructive Criticism, Building, and You
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star_wars_rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dwhisper that depends on time. Most of us here have a family and we simply don't have the time to be doing mocs. When we do get the time however we want to build something that we know will look uber cool and usually what we create is absolute gold.
I haven't made any mocs since I was a kid. Now that I am a father of 2 and soon to be a third my time is very limited. I have just been getting system sets and building them as it is far easier to build something with instructions than sorting through pieces to make a moc. I know 90% of the fun is sorting and building, but with time constraints it can be hard.

Those here who are young enough and more importantly have the time for moc building, keep going and let us marvel at what you create no matter how bad or good it may seem to the community.

The force is strong with this one......
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Community goal and incentive : whoever builds a good, canon ship, from the Star Wars universe gets an Odwalla bar, if it's really good.

Maybe it's me, but my vision of the Star Wars MOCs is one that reads more like:
Virago
E-Wing WIP
Havoc
Luke's Landspeeder
K-Wing

It's probably me again, but I envision an FBTB that can be more proud of its Star Wars MOCs, and if we were to pick five fig-scaled MOCs from the real Star Wars universe, we wouldn't have to search from last year for some good ones, let alone last week or last month. Perhaps that's a reason why I don't comment, just because I'm biased and kind of mean because I see no differentiation between the 181st Corps Troopers or the 871st. Maybe people should attempt to build "real" ships, maybe then I'll be happy. I'm not saying the current ones are necessarily bad, just, I think there must be more input from Star Wars itself. Maybe then the Star Wars MOCs forum might actually be something to look forward to viewing from any Star Wars fan's perspective. Maybe all of us should just keep going at a ship, and just not stop until we build it.

Look at Pepa's Falcon, heck, even look at my Slave I. If you look at the original versions, you'd probably have kicked me off the site for being so bad. And then I go back to those posts and most of the comments are "that's good, nice job"; dammit, if Unit never told me my old versions sucked, I would've continued to think they're OK. Even though they were dreadful.

I'm probably the only person once more, but Star Wars > Space x 2 - (Halo^2 + Castle).
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That equation is only true because halo makes up such an infinitesimally small number that event the greatness of castle can't make up for it.
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, just build a frakin' K-Wing. Laughing
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure what a K-Wing is...
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it probably has something to do with the fact that I'm probably thirty years younger than you. But I somehow still hate clones. Clones commanders suck. But weren't K-Wings around like eleven years ago, I think after the Thrawn series?
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe... I never really payed that much attention to the ships in any books, since the authors could basically make up what they want. The only reason I know about the E-Wing is because of the comics, and the Stealth-X because it's mentioned in like 18 different books.

And I'm not that old...
Zedsier
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, K-Wings are a stretch, did you ever redo that Stealth-X you posted a long time ago? Have fun in Kansas anyhow.
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not since the last iteration. It's actually still put together, but packed away.
Star_wars_rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junsier what about the old castle sets from the 80's? They were great for moccing a really awesome castle. I had one, plus the police station that came with a helicopter and of course cars. I made my own police van. However both those sets fell apart years ago and have now been used to make other things. I made a rebel base with the castle pieces. Apart from the grey color scheme it seems to suit the rebels. It even has a hidden hanger bay for the a-wing. The top roof of the hanger bay doubles as a landing platform.

The rest of the castle pieces and the roller door that I got with the police station, were made into an imperial base. Even though it says police on it, it suits the imperials. I know that the colors are all wrong, but meh, I don't care as I made it years ago mainly to use up the pieces as I just had way too many.

Last edited by Star_wars_rules on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Lars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Veers wrote:
At what point would it be considered acceptable to bump your MOC?

I get the feeling that among the members it isn't accepted at any point. If you regard your contribution to your own MOC thread as bumping, you have to be really clever to get away with it.

Even if there is a question in your last post, the fact that you yourself enters the thread might very well kill the ongoing discussion. I find this a bit strange and not something I've seen in other forums.

It is as if members when just browsing through the list, simply just skips a thread if the creator of a topic and the last poster is the same member.

For example: You have posted pics of a new MOC and the response is really good. After a while you enter and writes: "-Thanks for all the great suggestions, but what do you think about the color scheme? I've used different colors in pic 6 and 7. Which one is the best color scheme for this Moc?"

My experience is that the thread is going to die. You've had your chance to show your work and if members have liked it and you've got some good feedback, you should be satisfied by this point. Let's all go to the next MOC!!

I think that this is one of the sad things with this particular forums.
Or is this just me and my really bland MOC's? Wink

The reason for me to bring this up is as follows:
I belive that this pattern of not wanting to even read the last post by a thread creator, collides with all the resoning about constructive criticism in this thread. It is difficult to get the right feedback when you're not supposed to participate yourself.

I'm afraid that most members look upon this forums as a place to get praise for good work, and every attempt by the builder to start a discussion is just seen as shameless bumping to have more of it.

You rarly see discussion about building styles and building methods because the builder really have limited opportunity to talk about the project, due to the short life span of threads where you write a lot yourself.

To often the so called "constructive criticism" is just a bunch of rigid opinions well worthy of a discussion that never take place.

"-In the movie, it's grey. Use grey!!!!"

"-The cockpit has a open space so the pilot is going to die. Change it!!!"

"I love how you've managed to get the right shape, but you should have used less colors and replaced all the plates with smooth tiles!!!

"I like the battle damaged look, but I don't like the use of old and new greys together!!"

And by the way. What happened with this thread and the discussion about constructive criticism? You would have thought that at least this topic could live for a while in here. Didn't you.

Undead!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this today and couldn't help but be reminded of this thread:

However, I think that if they had a picture of two cats snuggling, the same comment would apply.
Star_wars_rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see this thread get lost somewhere else. I must admit I didn't help the situation by deviating onto my castle set. Very Happy

Moving on, lets get back to what this thread was intended for.

CT-3059

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: ZOMG Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
You know, it's been a long time since I've seen a ZOMG. How many people even know what the Z stands for anymore?

I didn't, until I read this post!

What does :D, wtf, and brb mean?

CT-3059: "What? No way, man!"
CHHHHHHAAAAARGE!"
Jedi Joe
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL = Laugh Out Loud

WTF = What The Fudge

BRB = Be Right Back

Oh, and change avatar please. It is WAY too big and the image doesn't follow the guidelines.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Star Wars MOCs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: