FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to mount lego?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ersh777

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: How to mount lego? Reply with quote

Hey guys

Some of you may remember my bohemoth map of New York I've been working on for a while.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=71734

I'm reorganizing my LEGO room/office and need more space. That New York model was taking up too much real estate. For now I moved it out of my office but now it's monopolised the dining room table. Embarassed

I've had this idea for a while to mount the model on a large piece (or 2 pieces) of plywood so I can hang it on the wall. What I am getting at is I need to know the best way to mount the baseplates to the plywood - preferably not permantly, so I can remove them and transport it when I move, etc. I'm sure some of you who do those huge mosaics can help me out with this.

Thanks in advance! Very Happy

-Rick
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing useful to add... just that this threads title made me choke on my water ::D:
OUTATIME

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bit of a chuckle at the title as well... do I have a dirty mind or what?

I really don't know how you'd mount the baseplates to the plywood without permanently damaging them, everything I can think of would involve drilling or gluing. I have to say, though, that's quite an ambitious project you're working on. The amont of care you took in constructing each individual building just blows my mind... that's awesome. Very Happy

My Lego Website
"I see the hand of man arise, with hungry mind and open eyes..." -Rush, 2112
R.I.P John Z. DeLorean

Last edited by OUTATIME on Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OUTATIME

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit, I hit 'quote' instead of 'edit.' That's what I get for not proofreading and trying to edit in a hurry. Sorry for the double post...

My Lego Website
"I see the hand of man arise, with hungry mind and open eyes..." -Rush, 2112
R.I.P John Z. DeLorean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
spotfrog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hung it on the wall, and something brushed against it, there'd be carnage. I think the best thing to do wound be to have a folding table devoted to the whole project, and just put it wherever you have space. Also it'll probably be easier to make additions to it if it's on a flat surface.

Last edited by spotfrog on Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
KungZombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why move it from the dining table? Build the table around the MOC with a glass surface so you could see inside! Very Happy

Hey, if any MOCs deserve that kinda treatment, this wonderful cityscape is definitely one of 'em.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Didn't think the title was that provocative. Razz

That would be cool to do, Kungfused. Smile I would have to build a table specifically for that though. The main reason I'd like to have it on the wall is for space. I also would like to have a folding table for it...but then the issue is about space. Making additions for it if it was on the wall would be no problem. I have it built in sections that I can always add on to it - building when it's flat and later adding it to the wall when I have another large section completed. Smile

I thought about using a hot glue gun to mount the baseplate on to the plywood, becase the glue can easily be removed, but I don't know how well that would adhere to the plastic. (I've had foamcore architectural models fall apart with hot glue gun glue before in collage Confused )

Thanks for the help though. I apprecriate it. Smile Do any FBTB'ers do large mosaics?
Padawan716
The Comeback Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think hot glue may melt the plastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ApophisV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some month again I tried to hot glue some broken pieces, the pieces itself wasn't melted (no idea if those last two words are correct.... Embarassed ) but the glue hadn't worked very well.... Confused

Actually hot glue needs a rough surface to attach things properly together, but bricks (and also baseplates) are too smooth....

Maybe you could try to use emery paper, this would "damage" the baseplates a bit, but otherwise in most cases it doesn't matter if this surface isn't looking shiny new... Wink

EDIT: Huh, very complicated to express all those technical things... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mounted some lego before. Very Happy Here's how I did it:

http://www.brickitgood.com/vegas.html

Liquid Nails creates an incredibly strong bond between wood and lego baseplates. If I were you I would keep it on a table or on the ground, or even display it at a local lego store/museum/library, etc.

Mask
Old Republic
Master Jedi [VET]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try double sided tape. You can get some that bonds really well but not be permanent and when you need it off the LEGO , just use some 'Goo-gone'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: