FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now's your chance - Donate LEGO, Help the Environment

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Now's your chance - Donate LEGO, Help the Environment Reply with quote

It sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? But it's not. Conservation through Research Education and Action (CREA) is going to use LEGO to help the environment.

Quote:
We want to create lego mosaics with the children in Panama which
will stay in the village school as well as the field station. The species
selected will be a mixture of rare and recognizable species which are the
most hunted species in the forests surrounding the village. My students
will also design bi-lingual posters (English/Spanish) about each of the
species featured in the Lego Mosaics describing the ecological
significance of each species and how the ecosystem would be disrupted if
these species disappear from their community. The mosaics will also
represent neotropical birds our two schools share (i.e. chestnut-sided
warbler, Yellow Throated Vireo, Wood Thrush, or Water Thrush) (Kids shoot birds with sling-shots and do not understand why this is not okay). The Lego Mosaics will be a reminder to the village children after we leave
about the importance of protecting species not only at the local level but
global level as well.

Simple as that. There are only a few guidelines to follow:

- Only 1 x 1 Bricks or LEGO Mosaic should be sent. They're creating a Mosaic, and need variety. Every color will be useful to them
- Don't send your old junk. Make sure bricks are in good (if not new) condition
- Donations should be sent directly to this address:
Laurie Doss
Science Department Chairperson
The Marvelwood School
P.O. Box 3001
476 Skiff Mountain Road
Kent, CT 06757
- While there are no limits or minimums, we recommend sending at least 50 bricks

How to find the bricks? That's easy. Bricklink has tons of them, any of the following will work:
1 x 1 Bricks on Bricklink - they're cheap and in just about every LEGO set ever made. Most go for around 1-3 cents each, so sending 50 bricks will cost you less than $2 most of the time.
Mosaic sets 6163 and 6162 are still available through most retailers.

If you decide to buy the sets, just send them to the above address. If you buy off Bricklink, you can ask your seller to send directly to the above address. Just make sure you specify that it's a donation, and include all the information. These bricks will go to future projects, as the CREA program runs year rounds, and students visit the area annually.

Thanks to Brickscout for first sending this to us. Wink
brickscout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I wanted to let you know that the Head of our science department received a box of 1x1's from a couple. I did not want to post their name in case they did not want to be mentioned. They should expect a thank you from our school sometime in the next week or so as the group just came back. (I used my own bricks and plates for the event but it was such a success that we are already planning to do it next year as well.) So any and all bricks that arrive will still be greatly appreciated. I am going to post all the photos as soon as they all arrive. Forgive me for double posting but as this thread is stickied I may post this in another thread...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: