FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SteamWars Contest: Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brickscout

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Don, I have trouble reading in Italics... Embarassed But colored Italics helped. Thanks for the heads up...
gold_2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been much of a fan of Steampunk, but now that I'm trying it, I realize it is an extremely difficult style to pull off. one thing's for sure, I need more hoses- having a shortage of brown doesn't help either. if and when I do finish my entry you'll have to tell me how close I came to the essence of the style. Very Happy
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone should notice... we've added a couple more prizes to the mix!
Olog
Ambassadargh!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, just an idea, since there are more prizes now. Would it be possible to make two different categories, one for land vehicles and one for starships/air vehicles? Just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just wanted to say that this contest has really inspired me to stretch out and build some more MOC's rather than the official kits (or Mods thereof). It has been very inspiring to see everyone's take on a subject that is certainly out of most of our comfort zones when it comes to building.

I for one plan on exploring this genre further in the near future...even after Rebelrock sweeps us all with his most excellent Tie Steamfighter.

Thanks to Don and dW for coming up with this great idea and for all of their hard work in providing us with a place to loiter.

-Shifto
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're going to leave it limited to one entry per, and not different categories. There's just been enough interest that we wanted to give a bit more. Adding another category would require "equal" prizes for each one.
PJcountach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I will probably get clobbered I think I'll give this Steampunk thing a try Wink

Champagne to the victor.
BCspeed34

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one question, that I really just needed clarification on, and yes I did search and read the rules.

"no custom stickers" so does this mean stickers from other sets are free game? Just no modified or self-printed stickers? Thanks for the help.

Already looks like I have some serious competition Shocked
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think the "only use official elements. No existing MOCs, rehashes of something you've seen but with brown parts instead of gray, and no custom stickers or modified parts please." was clear enough, because stickers are still official parts in my book. I can see how that could be confusing.

You can use any official LEGO sticker so long as it's unmodified. It doesn't need to go on the exact brick from whatever model it came from though.
BCspeed34

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks for clearing it up for me, and others who may have had the same question Smile
Voice of Reason

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Steampunk Elephant/AT-AT that is up one the flickr section of the main page (and maybe referenced here on another page since I did not read them all) is friggin awesome! It almost makes me want to bow out with an "I'm not worthy" chant, but instead I will do my best.

I love the idea for this contest. Absolutely love it. Now, to decide what to make... Question
NecronCommander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...
I wasn't going to enter, but then I saw that first prize was an AT-AP. So I got cracking.
I was about to post it, but I decided not to, since mine is completely half-assed compared to other great MOC-ers around here. So, curse you all. Twisted Evil
monsterbrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*tap tap* Hello......Is anyone still here? Don't run off and "not play" guys, you cannot win if you do not try. And we all know what Master Yoda says about trying. Laughing

So being the newb around here I guess it will be OK if I ask a whole buncha newb questions. Like, does everybody usually bomb their entries in at the very beginning, or does everyone wait and hide until the last moment?

I have seen the Tie and figured it to be Mr. Rocko's baby, and the secrety secret sail barge. Who else is the heavy hitters, the boh beh chow (that is "no horse running" which is singaporean), The Champs, so to speak?
JackFrZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you use gray pieces as well? I have a very steam-punkish Naboo Starfighter on the way, but it's gray with beige and brown highlights. Is that fine?
thrasher zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use any colors you want, as far as I know, there are no color restrictions, unless you mean painted gray pieces.
JackFrZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, real grey. Thanks.
Xeta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't it be? Confused
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackFr wrote:
Can you use gray pieces as well? I have a very steam-punkish Naboo Starfighter on the way, but it's gray with beige and brown highlights. Is that fine?
I can't imagine why it wouldn't be OK...
MingoDave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackFr wrote:
Can you use gray pieces as well?

As Don said, it should be fine. A lot of people think steampunk has to be brown, gray, or black. While a lot of it is (simulating wood, steel, and iron), it doesn't have to be. The key is looking at technology and style from the Victorian period and the decades just before and just after (think 1845-1925 or so). This often pushes out through the 1940s (think the Crimson Skies games) in some stylistic elements. The steampunk color palette should reflect the materials in vogue (and those materials necessary for steam technology) at the time.

Brown/tan: wood, leather, canvas, various other fabrics (look at World War I aircraft)
Black: cast iron, iron boilerplate, painted metal, coal, oil, grimy areas (look at steam locomotives)
Gray/bley/dark gray/dark bley: dull steel, iron, other metals, some fabrics (look at steam-powered factories, power plants, locomotives, and aircraft)
Dark red/red/green/dark blue/etc.: dyed leather, upholstery, padding, dyed fabric (look at luxury carriages and early luxury automobiles)
Gold/silver/metallic colors: polished steel, oiled metal, brass, bronze, silver, other metals
Yellow/blue/green/red/etc.: painted accents, stripes, etc. (see mid- and late-1800s locomotives and trains)

Other colors can be included- this is by no means an exhaustive list- but try to keep in mind the real-tech equivalent. Note that this is different from real-world: if you're building something fantasy-steampunk, a glowing blue orb would be entirely appropriate. Use your imagination!
Crazybirdman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, total noob, long time lurker here. I'm going to enter the contest, but I was wondering if you wanted to see actual Star Wars minifigs or not?

Also thanks a million to the 2-D's for putting on this contest!
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use standard SW figs if you want and have a limited minifig selection, but I think steampunk revisions would look better and more in theme with your ship.
PJcountach

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit though, Boba Fet is pretty Steampunkish

Thats why I am using him, other than the fact that I don't have a better option. Embarassed
Oky Wan Kenobi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some questions:

1. What kind of weapons are appropriate for steampunk?[/b] Old machine guns? Crossbows? Or just anything from the pirate sets?

2. Are Prequel Vehicles alowed?

3. How about custom sails/cloth?

Other than that I'm just looking forward to seeing all the great entries for this awesome contest. Seriously, this is the best contest I have ever heard of, and I joined the fbtb community just to be able to enter! Very Happy
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oky Wan Kenobi wrote:
3. How about custom sails/cloth?

One of the only three rules wrote:
•Make it minifig scale, a new and original design, and only use official elements. No existing MOCs, rehashes of something you've seen but with brown parts instead of gray, and no custom stickers or modified parts please. Those are pretty standard contest rules.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the only three rules wrote:
•Make it minifig scale, a new and original design, and only use official elements. No existing MOCs, rehashes of something you've seen but with brown parts instead of gray, and no custom stickers or modified parts please. Those are pretty standard contest rules.
[/quote]

Rolling Eyes Alright, alright! wasn't planing on using anything custom anyway.

But how about the weapons? I really need to know that; I don't have much experiense with steampunk mocs!
Oky Wan Kenobi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Oh, c'mon, guys, we are getting close to the deadline - Can't anybody tell me what kind of weapons I can use for my entry?
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no set style of weapons. The only thing that really isn't steampunk is laser/blaster style, and thats about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkguy19 wrote:
There are no set style of weapons. The only thing that really isn't steampunk is laser/blaster style, and thats about it.

Sweet! Thanks! Wink
strwrs429

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day left, who's ready?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not. The bloody order hasn't arrived yet ... Razz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> Contests and Community Builds! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9
Jump to: