FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wal-mart Canada CARRYING LEGO AGAIN!!! ***NOW OFFICIAL***
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legoguy.ca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Wal-mart Canada CARRYING LEGO AGAIN!!! ***NOW OFFICIAL*** Reply with quote

I put in STAR WARS as that's what I care about, but I found out today that LEGO and Wal-Mart Canada have had a falling out and that Wallyworld will no longer carry ANY LEGO product in Canada.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200802051608DOWJONESDJONLINE000583_FORTUNE5.htm

I know Wal-mart has been pissed off in the past cuz Lego wouldn't allow/sell them any deals...yet, TRU and RCSS have both had very good deals on Lego Star Wars sets in the last year. I would guess, WM just told them where to go!

Thoughts?[/img]

Last edited by legoguy.ca on Fri May 23, 2008 2:42 am; edited 4 times in total
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh, not a big deal to me. Sure theres only really Walmart and TRU that carry Lego in my city, but Walmart always wasn't very good with their Lego. They rarely ever had any Star Wars sets, and when they FINALLy get some Star Wars sets, I already own them all.

So in short, Walmart isn't a lose to me when it comes to Lego. Now if they stopped selling jeans, Now thats another story Razz

DeviantART|Brickshelf
HothTrooper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find this information and do you know any more about this move, such as who dropped who and if it's through out Canada or just a particular store? I know that here in the U.S., just my local Wal-Mart is no longer allowed by Wizards of the Coast to sell WotC products due to repeated incidents in which Wal-Mart employees ignored labeled street dates and put products out ahead of schedule. Other Wal-Mart stores sell them, but my local one cannot.
Inzane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Not too smart on LEGO's part to piss off a big retailer like Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart has the potential to do volume, volume, volume!!
legoguy.ca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been noticing that there is very few LEGO pieces left at about 5 of the 9 local walmarts...
Then today, I was at one, and they had their merchandising maps hung on the shelves...and there was NO lego listed, so I asked the Staffers' that were working and they confirmed this...WAL-MART CANADA...no idea about the US.
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard rumors about this, but I've seen new Indy and Spongebob sets at my local Wal-Mart, so it seems to not be the case in the US...yet.
Falcon Man

Location: In a tree. Species: Human, I think. Cheese: Wait, what?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't shop at Wal*Mart, so it doesn't bother me! But if TRU or Fred Meyer stopped selling LEGO...
ZombieDraykov
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue, as Inzane implied, is the big picture. My local Wal-Mart has never had a great selection of LEGO, but if Wal-Mart the world over stops carrying the product, it won't be something LEGO will be popping corks over. Though, the thought of LEGO telling Wal-Mart where they can go is appealing to me. Personally, I think LEGO is well established enough to survive without the Wal-Marctopus, even in an increasingly competitive market...but what do I know.
Blacknight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wish more stores had the courage to tell Walmart where they can stick it. Frankly the Lego and Walmart brands are very incompatible anyway - Walmart, with its low prices thanks to cheap labour, poor quality products and the great supply caravan from China, is not where I want to buy a brand like Lego, which has higher prices due to its high quality and refusal to outsource all its manufacturing to third world countries. I think this will also be a good thing for the small independent toy stores which are starting to see a resurgance after all the lead scares about Chinese toys last year.

This is also a good thing for my personal buying patterns because it's one less store I need to worry about driving to to check for sales. Not like my Walmart ever had much of a selection anyway. I think the only set I ever bought from them was Jedi Starfighter and Vulture Droid back when it came out before the other Revenge of the Sith sets.
thrasher zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon Man wrote:
I don't shop at Wal*Mart, so it doesn't bother me! But if TRU or Fred Meyer stopped selling LEGO...

If TRU ever stopped selling LEGO, then I would have none to build and that would mean.......................I'd have to go out side * screams and hides under the covers*

But anyway, I think maybe LEGO stopped selling to Wal-Mart because LEGO is to pricy for Wal-Mart to buy. Since Wal-Mart has all of that over seas made items, which are cheap for them, mayber they figured they didn't need LEGO because it cost to much.
JackFrZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wal-Mart has only clearanced Bionicle stuff.
zombly42
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thrasher wrote:
Falcon Man wrote:

If TRU ever stopped selling LEGO, then I would have none to build and that would mean.......................I'd have to go out side * screams and hides under the covers*

But anyway, I think maybe LEGO stopped selling to Wal-Mart because LEGO is to pricy for Wal-Mart to buy. Since Wal-Mart has all of that over seas made items, which are cheap for them, mayber they figured they didn't need LEGO because it cost to much.

I'd have a big problem getting LEGO too since we go to Walmart a lot more often then Target. And the nearest TRU is like 40 miles away.
bkblbjg51

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Lego disappear from my local Wal-Mart last year for several months at the start of the year and then around march they got the new sets. The holiday season is always a high volume sales period for toys so you will see a decrease this time of year (and clearances, which I love) so you may see Legos at a later time.

About the not liking Wal-Mart topic, they may not be the greatest, but if you live in a small town they are often your only source of Legos without having to pay shipping.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope TRU doesn't stop selling Lego any time soon. Thats my only source of Lego, and if they stopped I wouldhave to either 1) Go out of town to get some or 2) order offline, and pay extra for shipping and handling
(Stopping collecting Lego is not an option for me)

But I'm just thankful it's Walmart and not TRU

DeviantART|Brickshelf
legoguy.ca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DestructiveDelirium wrote:
I just hope TRU doesn't stop selling Lego any time soon. Thats my only source of Lego, and if they stopped I wouldhave to either 1) Go out of town to get some or 2) order offline, and pay extra for shipping and handling
(Stopping collecting Lego is not an option for me)

But I'm just thankful it's Walmart and not TRU

See and I had heard a rumor about a year ago that Lego just might try to become an ONLINE only kind of thing (minus the LEGO stores around the world). There's a high-end toy store here, with 2 different locations, that used to sell Lego, but then Lego stopped selling to them...and that was the excuse the owner told me, is Lego told them they were going to go strictly online....I didn't believe him, but perhaps this is another sign....
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope thats not true Crying or Very sad I will be sad if it does.
It won't stop me from buying lego, just it will make my purchases smaller and I'll probably just buy everything at once instead of slowly throughout the year, which I preffer.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
HothTrooper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt that LEGO would try to move to online only. From the perspective of a toy business, it makes almost no sense. While us on the forum are obviously at least somewhat internet savvy, we are not nearly LEGO's biggest market or even target market. We're a secondary market. Toy companies thrive on the recognition they get from children being able to walk through the aisles of a store and see and hold what they want. Despite the ever increasing presence of technology at a younger age, children still aren't likely to comparison shop online or browse through a website to look for what they want. A move to online only would also negate the ability of children to purchase sets with saved allowance money or gift money. Parents would have to take the child's money and then use one of the online payment methods to purchase sets. Not to mention, that one has to be 13 years of age or older to legally sign up for an account at nearly all reputable online stores.

On the Wal-Mart note, despite the fact that I don't personally like Wal-Mart at all, them not selling LEGO products across an entire country is still bad news for LEGO. I would travel elsewhere or use Shop@Home to purchase my LEGO because I'm loyal to the brand. However, coming from a small town where Wal-Mart is the only place to buy toys I know that a significant portion of the population here would just buy some alternative toy instead. It's definitely not a good development for LEGO.
prowl79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is going to effect the US. I have not seen any lego at my local walmart in 2 weeks. They had all of the jan 08 releases and after I got mine they sold out of everything. The shelves have been bare since.
ksquare

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to frequent the Walmart close to where I work for impulse lunch break lego fixes..
When I was there a few days ago, I walked up and down the aisles looking at the Lego signs, but seeing only Megablocks.
It took a few minutes, and I almost gave up but I finally found 3 remaining sets: 2 Sith Infiltrators and 1 Bionicle set.
The shelves definately are bare... I guess that's good for my bank account.
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to remember is that most retail stores are still going through their post-Christmas resets, so a lot of places don't have anything yet. Out of 3 Wal-Marts in town, one has nothing (they were cleaned out with X-Mas), one has done the reset and is out of the new sets (I'm partially to blame) and the other still has older stuff marked down (but the ILC just isn't that great of a deal with the new Battle Pack... $20 more basically buys me two Pauldrons).

Another thing that everyone needs to realize is that while TRU is the premiere "toy store" out there, Wal-Mart and Target sell far more LEGO (and other toys) than TRU could dream of. Wal-Mart is the biggest thing in North America, and them not carrying something hurts. Luckily this one seems to be constrained to Canada thus far, so there is that.
Blacknight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
Luckily this one seems to be constrained to Canada thus far, so there is that.

Luckily for us in Canada, that is. Razz Wink
thrasher zombie
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:
One thing to remember is that most retail stores are still going through their post-Christmas resets, so a lot of places don't have anything yet. Out of 3 Wal-Marts in town, one has nothing (they were cleaned out with X-Mas), one has done the reset and is out of the new sets (I'm partially to blame) and the other still has older stuff marked down (but the ILC just isn't that great of a deal with the new Battle Pack... $20 more basically buys me two Pauldrons).

dW is right. After Christmas, stores will take inventory on all there items of the years before to get ready for the new years toys. They usually won't get the new shipments until maybe the middle of January or later. My local TRU had almost no LEGO sets. I don't know about Wal Mart cause' I don't go there, but I hope that a decrease in sales in Canada, which means a decrease in LEGO's profit, doesn't mean an increase in prices for the LEGO fans.
Tyrant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dWhisper wrote:

The ILC is on sale?
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sale, clearance. And only at one of my local Wal-Marts. Another one has it at regular price, as does Target. Wal-Mart clearance varies from store to store, so the only thing you can do is check and see.
Tyrant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant clearance as I assumed that was what you meant. have you heard of this being at all widespread? I have only been able to check one in my area and it was over a week ago and it was still normal price. I assume by your comment it is $30?
dWhisper
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got them for $30, but only one store had it for that much. The rest have it for regular price, which isn't all that unusual for a Wal-Mart.
Winbrant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legoguy.ca wrote:
There's a high-end toy store here, with 2 different locations, that used to sell Lego, but then Lego stopped selling to them...and that was the excuse the owner told me, is Lego told them they were going to go strictly online....I didn't believe him, but perhaps this is another sign....

The issue with this "ma and pa" shop was that they did average volume and LEGO could not fill his orders in lieu of the larger retailers. As a result of not being able to keep stock "pa" decided to not sell LEGO entirely...allocating shelf space to something he could have in stock. Given his two locations (one stand-alone and another that's essentially a "booth" in a high-end DOWNTOWN mall) he could not afford to have a bare shelf! Rolling Eyes

There are other smaller retailers (2 in Calgary that do major volume due to location, 1 in Airdrie (excellent selection...even discontinued sets)) that are a bit more patient with LEGO's distribution and have been flexible enough to wait it out due to their store's other offerings...and don't charge over CDN MSRP. True, their post-holiday stock may be a bit low but the pipeline needs to be filled. Wink

LEGO would not go strictly online as it needs to be accessable to children. The more adult sets, yes, definitely online as it would be suicide to stock these ($150+) sets at retail.

my 2 cents
Rook
New Clone on the Block

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went by Walmart once and a while and never found what I was looking for. I think it's not an issue though. In Canada you can get Legos at Sears, The Bay, Zellers, Super Store, Loblaws, TRU, speciality stores, etc. So loosing the almighty Walmart just means more sales at these other locations. Lego has brand power, assuming they don't let their quality drop. That and it's one country one store chain. That's not as big as it seems. Now if Lego lost US Walmart that might hurt them. Why they didn't meet Walmarts demands? They probably have a binding contract with TRU. They are probably way bigger then Walmart when it comes to $ in toy sales.
99% Evil ® [MOD]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, on the small stores, it's more an issue of LEGO's ordering policy. They'll sell to just about anyone, but there's a minimum size to an order. LEGO instituted this in their whole "cost restructuring" in the last few years. They were losing money like mad on those orders, because the volume wasn't there to offset associated costs. I believe the minimum dealer order has to be at least one case of a particular set.
Dazombie
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information I had seems to be confirmed then.

Just before Christmas, I too heard from people working for another construction toy company (a Canadian one based in Montreal I might add) that Wal Mart wasn't going to carry any more LEGO sets in 2008.

At that time, I held on to that information, as I didn't have official confirmation of this. Good thing I did that, because at that time, it wasn't specified that only Wal Mart Canada had taken this decision, and that it wasn't effecting all of Wal Mart's stores around the world.

Needless to say that now, I do believe that this information is correct.

So fellow Canadians, don't expect to see new LEGO sets at your local Wal Mart any time soon.

Bricklink | Brickshelf | QuéLUG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> LEGO Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: