FBTBForums.net Forum Index FBTBForums.net

...has been nuked!

ChatChat    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The general movie goodness thread...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: The general movie goodness thread... Reply with quote

This is the thread to talk about movies, what you liked, give reviews etc.

Be sure to give SPOILER warnings, so no one gets upset. Smile

I'll start with a short review of The Mist. There are some small spoilers.
I went into the theater thinking it would be some sort of rip off of The Fog (which, in my opinion sucked) but I was happy to see that it was a good, if anything unexpected horror flick.

The idea is the Military opened a portal into another dimension, and unleashed bug-like creatures, who kill / cacoon the humans. It revolves around a small group of people trapped in a supermarket.

I liked this movie for a number of reasons, number one being, it actually had an ending, which is rare in horror movies lately. The ending also is unexpected, and very... Moving (not in a good way, but very well done).

It's got a little bit of Alien in it, along with a bit of Children of the Corn, if you like movies like that, you'll most likely go for this!

Last edited by ZombieAndrew on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:18 pm; edited 7 times in total
Zombie Austin
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underrated Pick of the Day: The Martian Child. And not even because I'm gay for John Cusack, which I totally am. The movie's totally sappy and manipulative, but at the same time, it was a great movie to take a date to. So get on that. This concludes my ramble.
TheBohrok

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Enchanted last weekend. Razz
No seriously, if you grew up watching classic Disney movies and liked them (or even if you didn't like them), you'll like Enchanted because it lightly pokes fun at them. Also, there are subtle little references to those movies that are fun to catch.
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Unbreakable movie. It's rather slow movie, but it has a very strong ending that you will love, and the truly amazing villain. Trust me, it's a underrated movie...

Don't let "Thriller" word scare you, it's there for very adult events, but nothing worse than CSI, plus it's remarkable bloodless for a Pg-13 movie.

Cake is NOT A LIE!!!
(Yes, the virus worked on me somehow... Razz )
Scout Troopa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we've got a whole thread for movies as well?! No offense, but put me in the "Dude - this sucks basket".

But, knowing I'll never have anywhere near enough influence on this site to be listened to, I might as well give a review, and reluctantly go with the flow.

The Departed

The plot revolves around a pair of Cops who've just graduated from a police academy in Boston, Massachusetts. One of them is a mild mannered, promising individual who quickly gains respect and authority within the department, while the other is more agressive. The special operations uses his agression to set him up as a member of an Irish mob, to bring the ringleader (Jack Nicholson) to justice. However, Nicholson has his own operative planted within within the police department.

The way the two intertwine in the film is stunning, and while it's not all out guns-a-blazing from opening to closing credits, the plot is well deserving of the Film of the Year award that Scorsese earnt for it. The ending is twisted, to say the least, and you never expect what happens.

I will say, without hesitation, that this is the best film that I've ever seen. It perfectly captures the grittiness of 1980's Boston gangs, and the many actors each fit their roles - Alec Baldwin as the Boss who doesn't have a clue of what's going on, but thinks he does, DeCaprio as the wannabe punk who always ends up hurt, Jack Nicholson as the psychotic gang leader, Damon, the arrogant cop who no-one expects and Mark Wahlburg, the guy who "gets justice in the end.

All in all, a great film worth investing a couple of hours in. Suffice to say, there is nothing nearly half as good on at the cinemas at the moment.
Samurai Moose

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I do foreign movies, too?

Two years ago in Film Literacy class in High school, we watched a number of excellent films, such as Swimming with Sharks, Le Samourai, Citizen Kane, Seven Samurai, Casablanca, etc. The classics, and a lot of newer films like the Matrix and Adaptation.

But, the last movie we watched, Cinema Paradiso, was the one that blew me away. It is an Italian movie about an Italian director named Salvatore. It is him learning of his mentors death, and he reminisces about his life growing up and his influence. But, what the film does masterfully is show you how his mentor, Alfredo, gets Salvatore into film and shows the close bond they have for each other.

From the cinematography, to the beautiful musical score and the sweeping epic of a story, this film bumped Star Wars off my #1 favorite movie spot. Everything about this film is perfect, and I can watch it over and over and it will never get old.
Zombie Austin
OSHI-! [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samurai Moose wrote:
Le Samourai

Hey, one of my top three favorite movies! Jeff is the original cold-blooded love to hate assassin.
timborino
Keeper o' the Shrub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw Lars and the Real Girl last night. Absolutely fantastic movie: great acting, good plot, very moving.

I see what you did there
Zombie Fetty
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we still haev single threads for BIG films - e.g Cloverfield.

Anyway, I'd like to open up a Wicker Man discussion.

I think that it (as in the 1970's version) is a great film. The newer one is good, but just has some totally strange bits (male feotus' in jars???), but wasn't as great as the earlier one.

Why do I like the Wicker Man? I don't know really. It has Christopher Lee in, so that makes it good from the start. One thing I really liked while watchign it was that how sudden the ending was. Take a film like 'The Ring' (which is also good - if you are 15, watch it) - it has it's ending built up by scaring us. The Wicker Man does the tension in a different way.

So, anyone elses thoughts?

Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry,
This could be a case for Mulder and Scully
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fetty wrote:
Can we still have single threads for BIG films - e.g Cloverfield.
I think so... same deal as the video game thread.
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to see Hitman, I saw a new trailer for I Am Legend. It looks real interesting. It's based on the Charlton Heston movie The Omega Man...
Every time I see the trailer, I get more excited for the movie. Smile
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I couldn't think of the name, but I thought the same thing about I Am Legend. Laughing
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... I Am Legend is based on the Richard Matheson book of the same name, from the 50s. The movie looks interesting, but I'm going to take it with a grain of salt. It's a very, very dark story in the book, and I can't see it possibly ending the same way and audiences not revolting.

Plus, I have a feeling that all of the rather pointed commentary in the original will be absent in the film. It was one of the first big post-apocalypse books written during the height of the Cold War and during nuclear proliferation and escalation. Back then, this was something "right around the corner."

The Omega Man has very little to do with the story, and hopefully, little to do with the new version.
Samurai Moose

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
When I went to see Hitman, I saw a new trailer for I Am Legend. It looks real interesting. It's based on the Charlton Heston movie The Omega Man...
Every time I see the trailer, I get more excited for the movie. Smile

When I saw the I am Legend trailer, I thought of "The Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price. I am Legend still looks very good, though.

I can't wait fir Sweeney Todd to come out, as well as Cloverfield and 10,000 BC, and of course The Dark Knight.
dWhisper
99% Evil [MOD]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, both movies are a deviation from the original work. Matheson wrote the screenplay for Last Man on Earth, but it was changed during production. He had nothing to do with the Heston film.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misread his post... I knew it wasn't based on Omega Man, it just felt similar to what I've heard (I can't remember actually watching Omega Man. I want to though).
Quote:
Plus, I have a feeling that all of the rather pointed commentary in the original will be absent in the film.
Even though I don't know what said commentary was, I'm sure you'll be right. Seems to be a common trend to dumb down sci-fi type stories and rely on effects to sell them.
ZombieAndrew
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew they were both "Based" on a book, but I had only seen Omega Man. I haven't read the book.

I guess it's a little off, like saying Batman Begins was based on Batman The Movie...
Leon S Kennedy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Now all our topics are being Jumbled up into big ones! Cool!

Sweeny Todd looks so creepy.... But, I'ts Tim burton. Whad'ya expect? Razz

Vote Leon for Mayor!
Samurai Moose

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon: I expect lots of Helena Bonham Carter Wink
Or, and Johnny Depp. I have been told he is dreamy.

My college is actually having a "Low budget Low Set" version of Sweeney Todd soon. They purposefully limited resources, and focused more time on the actual acting and singing. I can't wait to see it.

And, I cannot find Akira Kurosawa's "Yojimbo" anywhere for the life of me.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon S Kennedy wrote:

I wouldn't say "creepy" I'd just say, downright weird. But like you said, it's Tim Burton, he loves his dark, weird things Wink Razz
Am I the only one who when you first say the trailer/commercial you thought of Edward Scissorhands? Confused

DeviantART|Brickshelf
Baraca

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonSolo wrote:
Even though I don't know what said commentary was, I'm sure you'll be right. Seems to be a common trend to dumb down sci-fi type stories and rely on effects to sell them.

Although I can see what you're saying, the last "dumbed down" sci-fi movie based off a smarter book with Will Smith in it was I, Robot. And I thought that was an amazing movie, I loved every second of it. I expect this will share almost nothing in common with the book, which I have been meaning to read, yet it will still be a good sci fi action movie simply because of Will Smith (An excellent actor IMHO) and the fact that it has smart basic idea. I also happen to love post apocalyptic themes which makes this movie a must see for me.

A drop of >:3 in an ocean of lunatics... Pfft! Yeah right ;~P
Klinka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A movie I just saw recently was Pearl Harbor. Beautiful piece of work. It really captures the escencce and realism of the attack on Pearl Harbor. But, I saw no point in the second part. It's called "Pearl Harbor", not "Doolittle's Raiders". No love story would have been better as well. Still a great piece of movie history though. Smile
James P. Zomblton
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's bad about Pearl Harbor though, is it's almost total lack of historical accuracy, despite claiming to be an "historical drama".

But yeah, otherwise: good movie.
ZombieSolo
... eats you all. [zMOD]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone going to a big budget film expecting to see historical accuracy deserves the failing grade they get on the paper they wrote without looking up what actually happened. Just like the term "based on a true story" - "historical drama" gives you no measure of accuracy, so any you assume is completely your fault.
James P. Zomblton
ZOMGpire!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But still, it would be nice to have had Roosevelt's "Day that will live in Infamy" speech quoted right.
Firespray
Hyperactive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DestructiveDelirium wrote:
Leon S Kennedy wrote:

I wouldn't say "creepy" I'd just say, downright weird. But like you said, it's Tim Burton, he loves his dark, weird things Wink Razz
Am I the only one who when you first say the trailer/commercial you thought of Edward Scissorhands? Confused

I thought the same thing too. The day I saw Beowulf with friends is when one of them told me about the movie, had heard nothing of it before until I saw the trailer. My friends want to go see it since it's Paramount and my Mom can get tickets to another advanced screening but it's a musical and I'm not too keen with musicals Confused

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Firespray, it is a gruesome, bloody musical with Johnny Depp Razz

I just finished watching "Being John Malkovich" again. Every time I watch this movie, I love it even more. Charlie Kauffman is a genius writer.
ZombieGIR
Destroyed!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked imdb for Indy 4 updates today, never saw these pics before.

Pics

Harrison Ford looks pretty good. Not sure about Shia though, he looks a bit stupid. I am hugely excited nonetheless.
DestructiveZombie
Undead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not keen on musicals either, but if I hear enough good things I'll see it.

And as for the Indy News, I'm interested to see if it will be any good or not. Harrison looks good for his age, just could have dyed his hair abit maybe. I'm interested to see Shia's performance, I liked him in Transformers. But I don't know if this is the kind of movie he would do well in.
But only time will tell.

DeviantART|Brickshelf
TurkGuy19
Anime Figure Flickr Floodr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baraca wrote:
DonSolo wrote:

Although I can see what you're saying, the last "dumbed down" sci-fi movie based off a smarter book with Will Smith in it was I, Robot. And I thought that was an amazing movie, I loved every second of it. I expect this will share almost nothing in common with the book, which I have been meaning to read, yet it will still be a good sci fi action movie simply because of Will Smith (An excellent actor IMHO) and the fact that it has smart basic idea. I also happen to love post apocalyptic themes which makes this movie a must see for me.

I, Robot wasn't really based of the book I, Robot. I, Robot (the book) was just a collection of short stories spanning several different time eras. Also, most of that movie was based off of several different 1930's era sci-fi. So, though the movie has the same name as Asimov's book, and Eando Binder short story, it really had nothing to do with them, so you really can't say it was a "dumbed down" version, because, it really wasn't suppose to be it in the first place.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FBTBForums.net Forum Index -> The Bantha Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 1 of 34
Jump to: